The HTML WG is about to reach a very important step of the current W3C Process: Last Call. For a W3C Technology, it is the moment where the WG members think, they have solve any major issues. The document is considered mature and stable enough. Last Call is here to give another chance for all participants to review a stable version of the specification. All comments will be formally recorded and answered. Then once all comments have been answered with satisfaction for both parties, the specification is entering Candidate Recommendation. It is the opportunity for the group to produce an implementation report. James Graham (Opera) asked specifically on how the HTML WG should define the PR entrance criteria.
The HTML WG is a bit specific though. A lot of what is inside in the HTML5 specification has been motivated by describing what browsers were already doing on the Web. This is far to be perfect. There is still discrepancies in between implementations, but it is a lot better than before. If you authorize me to share my own opinion, the specification needs to be implemented by more authoring tools developers to be able to give practical feedback on the specification.
HTML Working Group Decisions
- HTML Microdata
- HTML Canvas 2D Context
- HTML/XHTML Compatibility Authoring Guidelines
- HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives
Paul Cotton also sent a detailed timeline for Last Call.
- FullScreen API second round with feedback. WebKit is in the process of implementing Mozilla’s proposed Full Screen API.
- Changing the angles in CSS gradients
- HTML WG status report has been presented by Sam Ruby (IBM) and Paul Cotton (Microsoft), co-chairs, to the W3C Advisory Committee meeting, this week in Bilbao, Spain.
- Revised HTML WG Decision Policy
- Call for publishing DOM3 Events as Last Call WD
- Changes on the FileAPI Editors draft
- Overview of W3C technologies for mobile Web applications
- Minutes, 05 May 2011 DOM3 Events Telcon
- Web Applications Working Group Teleconference
- WHATWG Weekly: Week ending May 16th by Shelley Powers
- General Questions on HTML5 Link Relations, Registries, etc.
- On the abuse of chunking for interactive usages by Willy Tarreau in HTTP WG
- A question from OAuth WG to the HTTP WG: BCP for returning HTTP Authentication (2617) Error Status
- Arun Ranganathan (Mozilla) asked about Blob URI Scheme for Binary Data Access to the HTTP WG
- [widgets] WARP usability issue
- Synchronous XMLHttpRequest and events
- safeguarding a live getData() against looping scripts?
- Target of onkeyup/down/press events
- The PeerConnection onmessage function attribute
- Pressing Enter in contenteditable is implemented with a lot of variations.