WAI Technical Meeting Minutes

Agenda still available.

The following individuals were present at the meeting:

Daniel DARDAILLER	W3C (France)		danield@w3.org   -  Chair
Mike PACIELLO		YRIF (USA)		paciello@yuri.org  -  Scribe
Terry CLOKE		BT (UK)			terry.cloke@bt-sys.bt.	
Michael PIEPER		GMD (Germany)		michael.pieper@gmd.de	
Markku HAKKINEN		PW (USA)		hakkinen@dev.prodworks.com
Peter BOSHER		RNIB (UK)		peter@soundlinks.com
Hakon LIE		W3C (France)		howcome@w3.org		
Gianni PELLIS		(Italy)			g.pellis@agora.stm.it	
Geert BORMANS		KUL (Belgique)		Geert.Bormans@esat.kuleuven.ac.be
Jaap VAN LELIEVELD	EBU (Netherlands)       Jaap.van.Lelieveld@inter.NL.net
Michael SFYRAKIS	ICS-FORTH (Grece)	sfyrakis@ics.forth.gr	
Steve ZILLES		Adobe Systems (USA)     szilles@adobe.com
Charles OPPERMANN 	Microsoft (USA)         chuckop@microsoft
George KERSCHER	 	RFB&D (USA)	        kerscher@montana.com	
Ken  WILLIAMS		IBM (UK)		Ken_Williams@uk.ibm.com
Phill JENKINS		IBM (USA)		phill@austin.ibm.com	
Lauren WOOD		Softquad Canada)	lauren@sqwest.bc.ca
Dave RAGGET		W3C/HP   (UK)           dsr@w3.org
Arnaud LE HORS		W3C (France)		lehors@w3.org 		
Bert Bos		W3C (France)		bert@w3.org 		
Murray Maloney		YRIF (USA)		murray@yuri.org  
Dominique BURGER	INSERM (France)         Dominique.Burger@snv.jussieu.fr 
Chris LILLEY		W3C (France)		Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr
Max MAYER		VP Gore's National      ajmayer@fggm.osis.gov
                        Performance Review, (USA)
Jim FRUCTERMAN		Arterstone (USA)	jim@arkenstone.org  - via Phone
Will WALKER		SUN	(USA)		william.walker@Sun.COM  - via Phone

Introductions and WAI Background (Daniel Dardailler)

Explained some of the history of the W3C's involvement in accessibility and the WAI. He discussed the IPO, hiring of the director, responsibilities related to the IPO and the funding process status. This WAI technical meeting is only for what the W3C is already working on, not what the IPO will do in the future.

The next WAI meeting will focus on Guidelines and Education. It will be held in Boston at MIT on August 5th. More information about this meeting will be forthcoming as the date approaches.

Question (by Phill Jenkins): Should this meeting be run in conjunction with other W3C technical group meetings?

Response (Daniel): Likely, since this will ensure that we have some of the W3C technical leaders available to us. Send all comments to the WAI-IG mailing list. This will help facilitate ideas. Today we'll focus on reports from other working groups and potential next steps.

HTML Status (Dave Raggett)

Dave Raggett provided a summary of the current accessibility issues and considerations for the next release of HTML codenamed, "couger":

ICADD Status (George Kerscher)

The ICADD22 DTD was designed to provide a structured document solution so publishers could create accessible documents for students based on requirements originally specified in the Texas (USA) Braille Bill

HTML is richer and far superior. ICADD's goal is to move towards a single DTD (HTML) for accessible publishing.

POINT (Dave R.) : "Couger Clean" - ISO move to make this happen and will include accessibility requirements.

IPP/P elements in ICADD22 to HTML:

XML (Lauren Wood)

Simplified version of SGML. XML does not define elements.

Discussion of Phonetic Support in HTML (Dave Raggett)

ACSS (Chris Lilley)

Chris Lilley discussed general history of the ACSS style sheet and some of the functionality of how it works. Stylistic control for audio. W3C student will be working for Chris to test out the specification with Java.

ACTION ITEM: WAI WG needs to review the ACSS technical specification and determine accessibility issues. We will act as an advisor/reviewing board to ensure access.

Chris: Emphasized that CSS has a wide range of non-disability uses, lots of application.

Hakon: Empahsized the need to review access values and whether they are adequate. Give this feedback to the CSS WG.

Chris: ACSS is now a working draft. Chris requests that everyone review the draft and send comments to him via e-mail at:w3c-css-wg@w3.org

Chuck O: Note that ACSS augments screen readers, not replace them.

Daniel: Cascading rules, needs discussion. Possible to ignore all parts of CSS and only view the audio...or visual. Cascading means to allow for multiple CSS.

ISSUE: Who controls output: Author or user. Definition of what is actually accessible to control. WAI would come up with a profile that the user should control and user agents (browsers, search engines, robots, authoring tools, screen readers) through preferences dialogue will support. These are accessibility related and in every case user wins.

ACTION ITEM: WAI WG needs to define what these requirements are for that profile and point to example implementations

ACTION ITEM: Create example (reference) style sheets (for both WAI/CSS wg's).

ACTION ITEM: Mark Hakkinnen will send the pwWebspeak pre-css specification to Chris Lilley

ISSUE (Chuck O.): Raised concern about support authoring tools for CSS. (Hakon indicated that HotDog and several commercially available authoring tools do)

  1. Aural extensions
  2. Font support (based on new CSS Font Draft)
  3. Positioning

Note: During the morning session Jaap argued the following: "This meeting is busy in finding solutions while the problems are not clear yet. I propose to spend time in finding out the problems first".

During the afternoon session Jaap highlighted that: "We - the visually impaired - should have access to INTERNET in the future and not only to blind-friendly sites'.

Other Technical Work

HTTP content/feature negotiation (Daniel Dardailler)

Explained HTTP request protocol. Is it a good idea to have some information regarding the level of accessibility of the document that a person requests.


DOM/API work (Lauren Wood)
Math Support (Dave and Daniel)
Certification/Rating (Daniel Dardailler)
  1. Demo of PICS using prototype rating systems
  2. Labeling process (No notes)
  3. Final Questions and Comments (Daniel Dardailler)
    1. Jaap indicated that he didn't get much out of today; no action items to report. What is the process for the future?
      • Daniel replied by saying that the future process will include mailing lists and conference calls with weekly meetings. W3C working group process starting. Once IPO director is hired, then the WAI will be organized and things will work better.
      • Steve Zilles requested that the WAI WG needs to attach people to write working drafts and assign people to work on them.
    2. Chuck asked whether the W3C will develop a reference browser? Is this the purpose of Amaya?
      • Daniel replied by saying that the Amaya development group is focusing on specific working draft specifications to support. Unclear whether they can do this. But a reference browser cannot by virtue of member opposition to it, but we can have test bed.
    3. Chuck asked if any WAI WG members would be interested in serving as beta testers for Front Page. Murray Maloney, George Kerscher, Peter Bosher, Jaap Van Lelieveld, and Mike Paciello all volunteered.
    4. Everyone commended Daniel for chairing a good and productive meeting