Changes between 10 Feb 1999 and 9 Mar 1999
User Agent Guidelines
- Now uses W3C global style sheets for technical
reports. Also, priority one information appears in red.
- Moved some content around where it would
make more sense.
Changes to Guidelines Document
Section 1: Introduction
- Edits to intro text based on Web Content Guidelines
- Removed "independent UA" (covered
by desktop graphical user agent)
- Changed "what should I do to improve accessibility"
based on Hans Riesebos comment
- Made "Principles of Accessible Design"
its own section (1.1) with subsections
Section 2: Guidelines, Checkpoints, and Techniques
- 2.1 Changed Priority 2 wording based on Web Content
- 2.2 Conformance:
- NEW wording of conformance.
- Definition of "recognize" added.
- Define native support and applicable checkpoint
- Reworded conformance based on those two definitions.
- Elaborated on media dependency.
- Removed last three checkpoints.
Section 3: Terms and Definitions
- Added definition of "styles" to 3.2.
- Added "Point of Regard" to 3.3 header.
- DL replaced by H4 in 3.4.
- In focus, replaced active component with active element.
- Rewordings based on Hans Riesebos comments
(e.g., dynamic -> refreshable braille).
- 3.6 Added reference to Web Content Gudielines.
Section 4: Ensure that the user interface is accessible
- Defined documentation to include help, manuals, installation, etc.
- Rewording based on Kitch comments
- RAISED PRIORITY of 4.1.2 to Priority 1 (WG decision)
- CHANGED WORDING of 4.1.2 based on WG decision.
- changed accessibility interfaces -> settings
- Condensed 4.2.3/4/5 into 4.2.3.
NOTE: No longer refers to event handlers.
- Rewording of 4.3.1
- DELETED 4.3.4 (merged with 4.3.2)
- ADDED 4.4.14. This puts the
UA Guidelines in sync with the Web Content Guidelines,
which distinguishes two types of refresh/forwarding.
- Moved 4.1.4 to 7.2.4
Section 5: Ensure that content is accessible
- Use "control" instead of "override"
- New title of Guideline 5.2
- Reworded 5.2.3
- NEW CHECKPOINTS: 5.2.4 and 5.2.6
- LOWER PRIORITY (2) of 5.3.1
- LOWER PRIORITY (2) of 5.3.8
- New intro text to 5.4
- LOWER PRIORITY (2) of 5.4.3
- LOWER PRIORITY (2) of 5.5.1 and 5.5.2
- NEW CHECKPOINT 5.5.5
Section 6: Help the user remain oriented
- INtro text shortened.
- NEW CHECKPOINT 6.2.1
Section 7: Follow W3C Recommendations and use standard interfaces
- 7.21 and 7.2.2 are for desktop graphical user
- 7.2.4 was 4.1.4
- List updated as per comments from Harvey Bingham.
- References are now to specific dated versions of W3C specs.
Changes to Techniques Document
- Sprinkled techniques from Denis Anson about
tables throughout sections 3.3, 4.3, and 4.4
- Added text from Kitch Barnicle to 5.2
- In 5.3, feature control, added information about
auto-refresh and auto-forward of pages.
Ian Jacobs (email@example.com)