W3C logo Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) logo

WAI UA Telecon for February 8th, 2001

Chair: Jon Gunderson
Date: Thursday, 8 Febraury 2001
Time: 2:00-4:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, USA
Call-in: Longfellow Bridge (+1) (617) 252-1038


Review Action Items


  1. Register for User Agent face-to-face meeting in Boston on 1-2 March 2001


  1. Coordination of joint meetings with DOM and CSS
  2. Issue 443: Checkpoint 1.4: Device indepdent access to pointer (mouse) specific events.
    Source: http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#443
    Status: The document currently requires emulation of mouse-specific controls by virtue of our requirement that the user must be able to do everything through the mouse.
    a) Do we want to require the UA to repair device-specific bindings specified by the author?
    b) Do we have evidence that the ability to simulate mouse events through the keyboard benefits the user?
  3. Definition Issues:
    1. Issue 359: Definition: text content (incompatible with WCAG?)
    2. Issue 358: Definition: Equivalent
    3. Issue 322: The definition of the word element
    4. Issue 321: Equivalency relationships and the wording of checkpoint 2.3
  4. Issue 394: Checkpoint 2.1: Vague about what cannot be provided through a source view


Chair: Jon Gunderson

Scribe: Ian Jacobs

Harvey Bingham
David Poehlman
Eric Hansen
Mickey Quenzer
Jim Allan
Tim Lacy
Rich Schwerdtfeger

Gregory Rosmaita

Action Item Summary

Open Action Items

  1. IJ, EH, AG: Propose new definitions forterms in question (equivalence, text element, etc.)
  2. IJ: Coordinate usability testing of the guidelines (JRG volunteers to be one of the testers).
    Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0137.html
  3. IJ: Send email to list asking for input on scope of checkpoint 1.1 including emulation of device specific behaviors
    Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0193.html
  4. JG: Talk to Al Gilman at the next WAI CG meeting about a joint meeting with UA, PF, and Voice WG (or participants) to discuss accessibility issues.
    Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0083.html
  5. JG: Implementation information for guideline 2
  6. JG: Propose text for the techniques document about synthesized speech implementation issues. Notably UA and AT wanting to use the same synthesizer engine.
  7. JG: Create issue list for things that need to be addressed in the next version of the document
  8. JG: Ping AOL to see if they can attend
    Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0193.html
  9. GL: Ask someone from Microsoft whether they will evaluate the guidelines with a product.
    Deadline: 2/1/2001
    Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0137.html

New Action Items

  1. JG: Send an outline of what should be in a executive summary.
    Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0200.html
  2. EH: Send thoughts on what should be in a executive summary.
    Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0200.html
  3. IJ: Write an executive summary appendix.
    Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0200.html
  4. JG: Ask WAI PF/WAI ER/WAI CG about their experience with repair of device-specific event handlers and indicate that we are leaning towards lowering the priority of repair here.
    Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0200.html
  5. RS: Find out what HPR's intentions are re: repair of device-specific event handlers.
    Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0200.html
  6. KB: Submit technique on providing information on current item and number of items in search
  7. GR: Review checkpoints in Guideline 10 for implementation information
  8. JA: Review checkpoints in Guideline 4 for implementation information

Completed Action Items

  1. JG: Request bridge from Judy for 3-4 people
    Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0193.html
  2. MQ: Send more details about control of speech parameters for the techniques document based on OpenBook. (deadline open)

Link to Minutes

Copyright  ©  2001 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio ), All Rights Reserved. W3C liability, trademark, document use and software licensing rules apply. Your interactions with this site are in accordance with our public and Member privacy statements.