W3C logo Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) logo

WAI UA Telecon for July 13th, 2000

Chair: Jon Gunderson
Date: Thursday, 13 July
Time: 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, USA
Call-in: Longfellow Bridge (+1) (617) 252-1038


Review Action Items




  1. Comments on last working draft
  2. Proposed changes to audio volume control checkpoints
  3. Minimum list of single command functionalities for checkpoint 10.5 from JRG

    JRG: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JulSep/0037.html
    KB: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000AprJun/0433.html
  4. Multimedia definitions.
  5. Minimum requirement for checkpoint 7.5 on searching: case-sensitive forward.
  6. Minimum requirement for Checkpoints 2.7: For author-identified but unsupported natural languages, allow the user to configure the user agent to identify those language changes in content. [Priority 3]
  7. Minimum requirement for Checkpoints 6.1: 6.1 Implement the accessibility features of all supported specifications (markup languages, style sheet languages, metadata languages, graphics formats, etc.). [Priority 1]
  8. Minimum requirement for Checkpoints 8.1: 8.1 Make available to the user the author-specified purpose of each table and the relationships among the table cells and headers. [Priority 1]
  9. Minimum requirement for Checkpoints 8.2 and 8.3: Distinguishing link checkpoints
  10. Clearer definition of the term "Easy access" in checkpoint 2.3
  11. Clearer definition of the term "Easy access" in checkpoint 10.8
  12. Minimum requirement for checkpoint 4.13: Allow the user to configure how the selection is highlighted (e.g., foreground and background color). [Priority 1]
  13. Minimum requirement for checkpoint 4.14: Allow the user to configure how the content focus is highlighted (e.g., foreground and background color). [Priority 1]
  14. Other minimal requirements part of issue PR#257 (No proposals)


Chair: Jon Gunderson

Scribe:Ian Jacobs

Harvey Bingham
David Poehlman
Kitch Barnicle
Mickey Quezner
Tim Lacy (left early)
Dick Brown (left at 3:30)
Gregory Rosmaita
Eric Hansen (left at 2:40)
Rich Schwerdtfeger (joined at 3:00)

Jim Allan
Mark Novak



  1. Change audio volume control checkpoints as proposed by IJ
  2. Use list of single step functions propsed by JRG as the minimal list of functions need to be available for assignment for single stroke activation
  3. Modify minimum requirements for search based on this telecon discussion
  4. Developer requirements for determining accessibility features of an implemented specification
  5. Clarify note for checkpoint 8.1 on how rendering and querying can be used to provide access to table header informaton

Open Action Items

  1. IJ: Draft a preliminary executive summary/mini-FAQ for developers. (No deadline.)
  2. GR: Re-examine the orientation checkpoints and see whether they can be clarified to account for control of rendering of audio (and possibly other content) on load.

New Action Items

  1. EH: Send comments on definitions of "primary content" to the list for consideration by the group
  2. IJ: Send counter proposal to identify unsupported language changes
  3. IJ: Add to note on checkpoint 8.1 the important cases that this checkpoint must provide information through the user interface
  4. IJ: Update document with resolutions from this telecon
  5. HB: Review note for checkpoint 8.1

Completed Action Items

  1. IJ: Produce a new draft that folds minimal requirements into the checkpoints. Should be ready about 7 July.
  2. JG: Check on availability of telephone bridge for starting telecon one half hour earlier.
    Status: No other bridges are available for earlier telecon at that time

Link to Minutes

Copyright  ©  2000 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio ), All Rights Reserved. W3C liability, trademark, document use and software licensing rules apply. Your interactions with this site are in accordance with our public and Member privacy statements.