W3C logo Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) logo

WAI UA Telecon for June 8th, 2000

Chair: Jon Gunderson
Date: Thursday, 8 June
Time: 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm Eastern Standard Time, USA
Call-in: Longfellow Bridge (+1) (617) 252-1038


Review Action Items




  1. Next FTF meeting scheduling and hosting
  2. PR#285: Raise checkpoint 4.8 "Allow the user to configure the audio volume" to priority 1
  3. PR#257: Difficult to know when a UA has conformed.
    See Ian's analysis of the checkpoints that need minimum requirements:
    Remaining Checkpoints to determine minimum conformance
    1. 2.3 If content available in a viewport has equivalent alternatives, provide easy access in context to the alternatives. [Priority 1]
      Proposal: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000AprJun/0394.html
    2. 10.4 Allow the user to change the input configuration. [Priority 2]
      Resolved: At least be able to turn on/off user interface control objects (i.e. menu bars, tool bars, etc... ), but may want to include additional minimum requirements
    3. 10.9 For graphical user interfaces, allow the user to configure the arrangement of user agent user interface controls. [Priority 3]
      Proposal: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000AprJun/0403.html
    4. 10.5 Allow the user to configure the user agent so that the user's preferred one-step operations may be activated with a single input command (e.g., key stroke, voice command, etc.). [Priority 2]
      Action: KB will develop a list of a minimum set of functions for consideration by the group
      Proposal: Include in part of the minimum requirement to also allow for key modifier key combinations in addition to single (un modified) combinations. Unmodified key combinations would still be a requirement.
    5. 10.8 Ensure that frequently used functionalities are easily activated in the default input configuration. [Priority 3]


Chair: Jon Gunderson

Scribe: Jim Allan


Meeting not yet held

Kitch Barnicle
Charles McCathieNevile
David Poehlman


Meeting not yet held

Action Items

Open Action Items

  1. All: Review config and control definition proposal by EH
  2. All: Send situations/comments on why Checkpoint 4.8 should move to P1
  3. Editors: Update document based on MR proposal for control and configure and the resolutions made during this telecon
  4. Editors: Cross reference 4.8 and 4.10 and make clear that checkpoint 4.8 for non-syntheisized speech audio
  5. IJ: Draft a preliminary executive summary/mini-FAQ for developers. (No deadline.)
  6. JG: Contact Denis Anson related to importance of control of objects within control objects
  7. CMN: Propose a technique that explains how serialization plus navigation would suffice for Checkpoint 8.1.
  8. GR: Look into which checkpoints would benefit from audio examples in the techniques document.
  9. KB: Propose a minimum or preferred set of functions that should be available to single command configuration

New Action Items

Meeting not yet held

Completed Action Items

Meeting not yet held


Meeting not yet held

Copyright  ©  2000 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio ), All Rights Reserved. W3C liability, trademark, document use and software licensing rules apply. Your interactions with this site are in accordance with our public and Member privacy statements.