This Wiki page is edited by participants of the HTML Accessibility Task Force. It does not necessarily represent consensus and it may have incorrect information or information that is not supported by other Task Force participants, WAI, or W3C. It may also have some very useful information.

Issues

From HTML accessibility task force Wiki
Revision as of 19:04, 19 July 2012 by Lcarlson (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search


Accessibility Issues in the HTML5 Tracker

This page lists HTML5 accessibility issues in the HTML Tracker.

According to the HTML Working Group Decision Policy, Bugs that are not satisfactory resolved can be escalated to issues. Tracker Issues "record that an editor's resolution was not satisfactory, and so the full Working Group must address the issue." Visit the HTML Working Group Issues page for definitions of tracker states.

Open Issues

  1. ISSUE-30 longdesc: Should HTML 5 include a longdesc attribute for images?
  2. ISSUE-131: caret-location-API: Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient?
  3. ISSUE-194: Provide a mechanism for associating a full transcript with an audio or video element.
  4. ISSUE-201: Provide canvas location and hit testing capability to fallback content
  5. ISSUE-203: All Media Elements should have the ability to have both short and longer textual descriptions associated to the element
  6. ISSUE-204: Exempt ARIA attributes from the rule that prohibits reference to hidden elements
  7. ISSUE-206: ISSUE-206: Should HTML5 have a meta generator exception to the alt requirement?

Raised Issues

A raised issue means that a working group member suggests this is worth a WG discussion and potentially a decision, but to date no concrete proposal has been created that enjoys a consensus of at least one.

Postponed Issues

A Postponed issue can be reconsidered during second Last Call or for a later version of HTML.

  1. ISSUE-122: alt text and description for Lady of Shalott example
  2. ISSUE-142: poster-alt
  3. ISSUE 134 tab-states: Provide tablist and tab states for menu and command elements respectively

Closed Issues

  1. ISSUE 9 video-accessibility: How accessibility works for <video> is unclear.
  2. ISSUE-14 aria-role: Integration of WAI-ARIA roles into HTML5.
  3. ISSUE-20 Improvements to the table-headers algorithm in the HTML 5 spec.
    • Moved to Bug 7260: Create testsuite for table headers association.
  4. ISSUE-26 Accessibility/usability of HTML5 and W3C default stylesheets.
  5. ISSUE-31 missing-alt: What to do when a reasonable text equivalent is unknown/unavailable?'
  6. ISSUE-32 table-summary: How to provide a summary of a table, e.g. for unsighted navigation?
  7. ISSUE-35 aria-processing: Need to define processing requirements for aria states and properties when used in html.
  8. ISSUE-51 aria-curie WAI-ARIA dependency on Role Attribute Module, which takes Curie values. problem for implementations?
  9. ISSUE-57 @headers Duplicate of ISSUE-20
  10. ISSUE-58 Use of "curly brackets" to identify a graphical image by its use or type by inserting a generic identifier / descriptor in curly braces as the @alt value for an IMG Duplicate of ISSUE-31
  11. ISSUE-66 image-analysis: Image analysis heuristics
  12. ISSUE-68 ARIA integration task force Will this HTML WG participate to the ARIA Task Force Duplicate of ISSUE-35
  13. ISSUE-74: canvas-accessibility
  14. ISSUE-80: title-alternative : What to do when a reasonable text equivalent is unknown/unavailable?'
  15. ISSUE-85 anchor-roles: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5
  16. ISSUE-105: canvas-usemap
  17. ISSUE-109 aria-section-title: Change ARIA section title and add extra text about use of ARIA.
  18. ISSUE-116 text-alternative: Provide reference and info about HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives in html5 spec.
  19. ISSUE-129: aria-mapping: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec
  20. ISSUE-130 table-layout: allow tables to be used for layout purposes
  21. ISSUE-133: modal-attribute
  22. ISSUE-135 link-canvas-spec: Put back direct link to the W3C version of the canvas 2d context spec
  23. ISSUE-146 video-content-muted: <video> should allow muted as a content attribute
  24. ISSUE-152:multitrack-media-resources: Handling of additional tracks of a multitrack audio/video resource
  25. ISSUE-157 image-map-spec: A comprehensive, semantic image map specification
  26. ISSUE-158 object-content-model: HTML4's content-model for <object> should continue
  27. ISSUE-160: menuless-commands: Remove restriction on command element as part of a menu
  28. ISSUE-161: accessibility-api-mapping: Create document defining mappings from html elements to platform accessibility apis
  29. ISSUE-162: modal dialog: Add a modal attribute to html5 to indicate a modal segment of the DOM (Duplicate of 133)
  30. ISSUE-163: navigating-tracks: Need a means for navigating between related timed tracks of media elements.
  31. ISSUE-182: Advice in spec about annotations promotes inaccessible content
  32. ISSUE-190: Replace poor coding example for figure with multiple images
  33. ISSUE-192: title attribute definition does not match reality
  34. ISSUE-193: Remove CSS example that promotes inaccessible content
  35. ISSUE-199: Define complete processing requirements for ARIA attributes
  36. ISSUE-200: Allow wrapping LEGEND (or new iLEGEND) in non-FIELDSET elements (Issue 200 closed without prejudice)
  37. ISSUE-202: Missing alt should not be considered conforming in the presence of figcaptions over 50 words in length
  38. ISSUE-205: Define what author guidance and/or methods should be provided to those that wish to create accessible text editors using canvas as a rendering surface.

A closed issue means that the chairs believe either the WG has resolved the issue (via spec editing) or the issue has been withdrawn. Only the chairs should move issues to 'closed'. Typically moving issues from PENDINGREVIEW to CLOSED will involve review in the weekly telecon.

If an Issue is closed, HTML5 can progress to last call without that Issue being addressed. According to the Decision Policy, Tracker Issues that are Closed without Prejudice become an endpoint for the escalation process.

All Accessibility Issues

  1. ISSUE-9 Video: How accessibility works for <video> is unclear.
  2. ISSUE-14 aria-role: Integration of WAI-ARIA roles into HTML5.
  3. ISSUE-20 Improvements to the table-headers algorithm in the HTML 5 spec (Moved to Bug 7260 Create testsuite for table headers association.)
  4. ISSUE-26 Accessibility/usability of HTML5 and W3C default stylesheets.
  5. ISSUE-30 longdesc: Should HTML 5 include a longdesc attribute for images?
  6. ISSUE-31 missing-alt: What to do when a reasonable text equivalent is unknown/unavailable?
  7. ISSUE-32 table-summary: How to provide a summary of a table, e.g. for unsighted navigation?
  8. ISSUE-35 aria-processing: Need to define processing requirements for aria states and properties when used in html.
  9. ISSUE-51 aria-curie WAI-ARIA dependency on Role Attribute Module, which takes Curie values. problem for implementations?
  10. ISSUE-57 @headers State: CLOSED (Dup of ISSUE-20)
  11. ISSUE-58 Use of "curly brackets" to identify a graphical image by its use or type by inserting a generic identifier / descriptor in curly braces as the @alt value for an IMG - State: CLOSED (Dup of ISSUE-31)
  12. ISSUE-66 Image analysis heuristics.
  13. ISSUE-68 ARIA integration task force Will this HTML WG participate to the ARIA Task Force - State: CLOSED (Dup of ISSUE-35)
  14. ISSUE-74 canvas-accessibility: How accessibility works for <canvas> is unclear.
  15. ISSUE-80 title-alternative: Document conformance and device dependent display of title attribute content.
  16. ISSUE-85 ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming
  17. ISSUE-109 aria-section-title: Change ARIA section title and add extra text about use of ARIA.
  18. ISSUE 116 text-alternative: Provide reference and info about HTML5 Techniques for providing useful text alternatives in html5 spec.
  19. ISSUE-122 alt text: alt text and description (Lady of Shalott)
  20. ISSUE-129 aria-mapping: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec
  21. ISSUE-130 table-layout: allow tables to be used for layout purposes
  22. ISSUE-131 caret-location-API: Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient?
  23. ISSUE 133 modal-attribute: Add a modal attribute to html5 to indicate a modal segment of the DOM (modal dialog)
  24. ISSUE 134 tab-states: Provide tablist and tab states for menu and command elements respectively
  25. ISSUE-135 link-canvas-spec: Put back direct link to the W3C version of the canvas 2d context spec
  26. ISSUE-142: poster-alt No alternative text description for video key frame (poster)
  27. ISSUE-146: video-content-muted <video> should allow muted as a content attribute
  28. ISSUE-152 multitrack-media-resources: Handling of additional tracks of a multitrack audio/video resource
  29. ISSUE-157:image-map-spec: A comprehensive, semantic image map specification
  30. ISSUE-158 object-content-model: HTML4's content-model for <object> should continue
  31. ISSUE-160: menuless-commands: Remove restriction on command element as part of a menu
  32. ISSUE-161: accessibility-api-mapping: Create document defining mappings from html elements to platform accessibility apis
  33. ISSUE-162: modal dialog: Add a modal attribute to html5 to indicate a modal segment of the DOM
  34. ISSUE-163: navigating-tracks: Need a means for navigating between related timed tracks of media elements
  35. ISSUE-182: Advice in spec about annotations promotes inaccessible content
  36. ISSUE-190: Replace poor coding example for figure with multiple images
  37. ISSUE-192: title attribute definition does not match reality
  38. ISSUE-193: Remove CSS example that promotes inaccessible content
  39. ISSUE-194: Provide a mechanism for associating a full transcript with an audio or video element.
  40. ISSUE-199: Define complete processing requirements for ARIA attributes
  41. ISSUE-200: Allow wrapping LEGEND (or new iLEGEND) in non-FIELDSET elements
  42. ISSUE-201: Provide canvas location and hit testing capability to fallback content
  43. ISSUE-202: Missing alt should not be considered conforming in the presence of figcaptions over 50 words in length
  44. ISSUE-203: All Media Elements should have the ability to have both short and longer textual descriptions associated to the element
  45. ISSUE-204: Exempt ARIA attributes from the rule that prohibits reference to hidden elements
  46. ISSUE-205: Define what author guidance and/or methods should be provided to those that wish to create accessible text editors using canvas as a rendering surface.
  47. ISSUE-206: ISSUE-206: Should HTML5 have a meta generator exception to the alt requirement?

All HTMLWG Accessibility Actions

  1. ACTION-8: Discuss with PFWG role attribute vs aria attribute
  2. ACTION-9: Discuss UML tools with DanC
  3. ACTION-10: Integrate into the Nov. 2007 meeting record the notes that Joshue took during the 2007-11-10 ARIA discussion
  4. ACTION-11: Show how
  5. ACTION-23: coordinate tests using ARIA
  6. ACTION-24: suggest accessibility improvement for "Big issue" marker
  7. ACTION-30: Report back after 11-30 meeting on ARIA syntax
  8. ACTION-47: Invite ATAG and WCAG WGs to help with HTML 5 authoring guidelines
  9. ACTION-54: ask PF WG to look at drafted text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements
  10. ACTION-61: Ensure HTML WG responds to PF WG on Omitting alt Attribute http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0082.html
  11. ACTION-63: Ensure HTML WG response to 6 Jun 2007 PF WG msg re table headers http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0145.html
  12. ACTION-66: Joshue to collate information on what spec status is with respect to table@summary, research background on rationale for retaining table@summary as a valid attribute
  13. ACTION-73: Follow up on WAI-ARIA markup thread, emphasizing the conformance point
  14. ACTION-76: Create poll on issue-32, based on Joshue's page from action-66
  15. ACTION-84: Prepare status report on @headers discussion by next week
  16. ACTION-85: compare "Smart Headers" with HTML5 algorithm
  17. ACTION-90: Ask Matt May if he can help represent WAI WGs in the HTML WG
  18. ACTION-92: Ask Matt May if he can help represent WAI WGs in the HTML WG
  19. ACTION-98: Discuss missing-alt with the WAI CG and report back
  20. ACTION-104: Inquire about table summary and headers status at PFWG caucus on 2009-02-06
  21. ACTION-107: recruit ARIA joint-TF members
  22. ACTION-111: Send call to working group on summary to update wiki in preparation for vote
  23. ACTION-114: Report progress on ARIA TF
  24. ACTION-120: Talk with Michael Cooper and PFWG about possibility of better facilitating comments on ARIA spec
  25. ACTION-126: Send a call to the WG to update the Wiki page to adequately reflect both (all) viewpoints on summary, in prep. for a vote
  26. ACTION-128: Work with PF to find an owner for drafting @summary text proposal
  27. ACTION-131: Draft ALT spec
  28. ACTION-132: Report on canvas accessibility
  29. ACTION-133: Develop an accessibility API and model for canvas as well as attributes to specify alternative content
  30. ACTION-136: Send draft to the list, due in three weeks
  31. ACTION-138: Produce a matrix based on Henri's work
  32. ACTION-140: Follow up with sean hayes
  33. ACTION-145: Write a Change Proposal for summary
  34. ACTION-148: Recruit a Task Force facilitator for the HTML WG
  35. ACTION-149: Issue a CfC to approve the accessibility Task Force and testing Task Force
  36. ACTION-158: Bring question to group: Do we want changing of element handler and role semantics via attributes to be deprecated?
  37. ACTION-165: Richard Schwerdtfeger Draft a proposal for accessibility of canvas
  38. ACTION-167: Cynthia Shelly Update table-summary
  39. ACTION-170: Update A11Y timeline for tracker related issues
  40. ACTION-173: Update Change Proposal for ISSUE-31 missing-alt

An action is the process of doing something in order to resolve or help resolve an ISSUE. (An ACTION generates a potential resolution to an ISSUE, or helps solve it e.g. by gathering more information.)

Accessibility Bugs

Retrieved from "http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Issues&oldid=5005"