> EOWG Home >
Minutes 4 April 2003 Meeting
on this page: attendees -
outreach updates - online overview slides - meetings and events - business case
- next meeting
in e-mail list archives
- AA: Andrew Arch, scribe
- BM: Blossom Michaeloff
- CL: Chuck Letourneau
- DS: Doyle Saylor
- HS: Henk Snetselaar
- JB: Judy Brewer, chair
- MK: Marja-Riitta Koivunen
- NL: Natasha Lipkina (later)
- PG: Pierre Guillou
- SP: Sailesh Panchang (later)
- SLH: Shawn Henry
- WL: William Loughborough (later)
- Alan Chuter
- Allistair Garrison
- Charmane Corcoran
- Kathleen Anderson
- Libby Cohen
- Mark Urban
- Miguel Bermeo
AA - Web Accessibility workshop held in South Australia during the
JB - teleconference presentation after CSUN for European E-Learning
Foundation (?) on web accessibility
Online Overview of Web
proposal for our favorite slide, at:
- JB gave some background
- SLH requested some discussion of variations from Judy
- JB see also
Alan Chuter's contribution
- JB tried to capture the consensus from previous discussion and use
lay-persons language; also tried to draw on WCAG 2.0 language; also tried
to pick up on WCAG/UAAG/ATAG
- Web sites and web applications
- CL suggests lifting from Alan's 2nd phrase (don't like
WCAG 2 phrase) [.. can perceive, interact with,
navigate, and understand without difficulty] instead of Judy's sub
- DS agrees with Chuck - would be less 'jargony'
- JB thinks this substitution would change the meaning from the
WCAG 2 phrase
- JB so we end up with "... that people with different disabilities
can perceive, navigate, operate and understand"?
- HS are we trying to paraphrase, or make clear? I still have
- JB Henk seems to be concerned about the concepts? Others are
- HS website or content?
- AA 'site' capture all types of material - information, application,
rich media, etc
- SH trying to explain to a lay audience - expansion is better
- JB yes, the proposal has some redundancy, but may be good if it
helps people to relate to the material
- WL likes it as it is
- DS if we have 'web site', can live with expansion to include
- JB try "websites, including content and applications"
- most happy, WL, MK & SH prefer old version; PG not sure this is
- discussion about adding 'interact' to 'operate' - or can interact
- what about 'perceive, understand, navigate and interact with'?
- SLH doesn't like '... different disabilities' - why
- DS 'disabilities' plural already implies multiple or different
- AGREED to drop 'different'
- Browsers and media players
- should we talk about 'assistive technologies'?
- after discussion - leave as is
- Web authoring tools
- is 'authoring tools' jargon not understood outside W3C?
- what about:
"web content creation tools"? or
"web site development tools"? or
"web publishing tool"?
- what about keeping web authoring tools, and then add a short
- SP - we could keep web authoring tool, and just swap the two sub
- Evolving web technologies
- JB are the terms/acronyms used ok?
- JB can we start with HTML as
an understood anchor?
- Discussion: drop 'evolving', start with HTML, then talk about
'evolving technologies' (such as XML,
- JB to redraft
- SP "facilitates design for accessibility" OR "facilitate accessible
design" for last sub point?
- WL try "supports the accessibility needs/requirements of people
- SLH is this the main job of PF group? - how do they word their
- WL & SP - should we throw the evolving technologies section off
the end completely?
- BM what about folding 'evolving web technologies' into 'web
- generally AGREED
- JB - will post revisions to the list for signoff next week. Please send
final comments by email to the list.
Meeting and event planning
1. Discuss possible dates for best practices training exchange in July in
- what about July 16 - 18?
- NL need numbers and time period to help start looking at venues
- JB & SLH to look at possible conflicting events
- JB/SLH to put draft 3 day agenda together - suggest half & half
training and EO meeting
- JB a training organisation (
ITTATC) is keen to participate - they would be quite
complimentary to our goals
- JB to provide approximate numbers to Natasha/Doyle by Monday to help
2. Discuss dates in September or October for an EOWG meeting in Europe
Business Case for Web Accessibility
Continue discussion online during the week
11 April 2003