Appendix Q: Changes
This appendix is informative, not normative.
This appendix summarizes the changes from the
previous publication of SVG 1.1 Second Edition.
Q.1 Stylistic changes
A number of stylistic changes have been made to the specification to make
it more readable. These include the following:
- Correction of spelling and grammatical errors
- Improvements to markup
- Stylistic changes
- Correction of broken links
- Correction of some examples which had incorrect markup
Q.2 Backports from SVG Tiny 1.2
In some cases, discussion of Last Call comments or of individual testcases revealed that the wording in SVG 1.1 First Edition had been imprecise and that compatible, but better, wording was available in the SVG Tiny 1.2 Recommendation. In several cases, noted below, that wording was backported to SVG 1.1 Second Edition. Additional clarifying examples were also backported from that specification.
Q.3 Substantial changes
In addition to many minor typographical corrections and the stylistic changes
mentioned above, the following substantial changes were made in response to Last Call comments.
Q.3.1 Across the whole document
- Updated some inline references which still pointed to older versions of specifications,
even though the actual References section had been updated.
Q.3.2 Introduction chapter
- Clarified that any property may be specified on any stylable element, regardless
of whether it is defined to apply to that element.
Q.3.3 Basic Data Types and Interfaces chapter
Q.3.4 Document Structure chapter
Q.3.5 Coordinate Systems, Transformations and Units chapter
- Clarified intrinsic sizing of SVG document fragments, in response to CSS WG request (backport from SVG Tiny 1.2).
- Clarified that units are required on lengths in the ‘style’ attribute.
Q.3.6 Basic Shapes chapter
- Specified exactly how the rounded corner radii on the ‘rect’
element are computed when one or both of ‘rx’ and ‘ry’
are not specified.
Q.3.7 Text chapter
- Clarified how the ‘direction’ property affects text elements.
- Fixed bidirectional text handling (backport from SVG Tiny 1.2).
- Noted that space glyphs do not render, even if the font in use has a
Q.3.8 Painting chapter
- Noted that marker orientation is explicitly undefined in certain cases.
Q.3.9 Color chapter
- Updated reference from ICC v.3.2 to v.4.2.
Q.3.10 Gradients and Patterns chapter
- Removed remaining references to the non-existent
Q.3.11 Clipping, Masking and Compositing chapter
Q.3.12 Filter Effects chapter
Q.3.13 Interactivity chapter
- Improved the specified handling of pointer events.
- Noted that whether pointer events are captured by a root ‘svg’ element
when the SVG content appears in an embedding context (such as a parent HTML
document) is explicitly undefined.
Q.3.14 Linking chapter
- Clarified that at most one of each type of SVG view attribute may appear in
a complete SVG view specification.
- Added a suggestion to highlight the target of an SVG view specification, and
that this can be controlled by the author with a :target selector.
Q.3.15 Animation chapter
- Clarified paced animations (backport from SVG Tiny 1.2).
- Clarified additivity of color values (backport from SVG Tiny 1.2).
- Added an example of animation of namespaced attributes (backport from SVG Tiny 1.2).
- Defined how accumulation of repeated transform animations is performed.
- Deprecated ‘animateColor’, made the ‘color-interpolation’ property
apply to ‘animate’ and made SVGAnimateElement and SVGAnimateColorElement
inherit from SVGStylableElement.
- Changed the behavior of discrete to-animations to be more consistent with
other kinds of discrete animations.
Q.3.16 Conformance Criteria appendix
- Corrected inaccurate usage of Content-Transfer-Encoding with gzipped content
served over HTTP (backport from SVG Tiny 1.2).
- Fixed the wording surrounding zero-length subpath linecap handling not to refer to
zero-length path segments.
Q.3.17 References appendix
- Updated the following references:
|ISO/IEC 10918-1:1994 [JPEG]||ISO/IEC 10918-1:1994/Cor 1:2005 [JPEG]|
|Unicode 5.1.0 [UNICODE]||Unicode 6.0.0 [UNICODE]|
|XLink 1.0 [XLINK]||XLink 1.1 [XLINK]|
|XML Base [XML-BASE]||XML Base (Second Edition) [XML-BASE]|
|Namespace in XML 1.0 (Second Edition) [XML-NS]||Namespaces in XML 1.0 (Third Edition) [XML-NS]|
|OpenType Specification Version 1.5 [OPENTYPE]||OpenType Specification Version 1.6 [OPENTYPE]|
|SMIL 1.0 [SMIL1]||SMIL 3.0 [SMIL]|
Q.3.18 Attribute Index appendix
- Added a column to the attribute index showing whether the attribute is
- Added Macintosh Universal Type Identifier code, Windows Clipboard Name and
Fragment Identifiers sections to the registration.