HTML IG meeting at SCO 25 July
9 people met at SCO Canada's offices on Monday afternoon
25 July 94.
These are informal notes of what came out of it.
The draft charter was drawn up.
We have to sort out mailer problems for the list.
Dan is going to find his time for editing limited.
Various people volunteered to help, with Dan coordinating:
Larry Massinter, Alan Braverman (forms, Overview), Eric Sink (maybe),
Murray (control characters and some).
Liam Quin offered help with format translation.
The current dataflow revolves around a Hal proprietory product "Nodeset":
It was decided to move the source form back to HTML, and generate
Postscript via for example TeX or troff etc with Liam's help.
W3O will hold the souces on a machine to which editors will
be given access.
- The original HTML has been translated into NodeSet.
- The NodeSet source is version managed.
- The source is edited by being translated into a constrained
sort of Frame document, editind, and translated back;
- A different Frame version is made for generaioin of postscript
- There is no plain ASCII version generated.
The group decided:
- The <p> tage is OK as it is, but the </p> should
be removed from examples so as not to concern people.
- ISINDEX should not be allowed in the body of messages.
(This has always been a bug encouraged by Mosaic's handling of
if, but it should be done with a small form, and it is messy
to allow it in two roles.)
- Forms: input type "image" should read "imagemap"
- ISMAP, form submission and URL encoding need to be covered
- A's "rel" and "rev" attributes should be standrad not proposed.
- The list of relationships should be put in an appendix.
- The "HTML & SGML" part should mention that the prologue
of an HTML documentis not really a full SGML prologue and you can't
put any SGML declaration into it.
- Servers must not send level 3 documents to a browser
which has not indicated its ability to handle it.
Various ways of converting down to level 2 (PRE, IMG etc)
- Tables: NCSA are working with Dave Raggett, but Yuri R would
like a few hooks in for braille generation.