0.97 has been released, and we suggest you
fetch a new binary.
Prerelease 0.96 of Arena has bugs and
shortcomings, and its primary purpose is to be a testbed browser for
HTML3. Set your expectations accordingly.
There have been several minor releases of 0.96,
and the current one is 0.96s. Most of the changes have been
cosmetic, but we do recommend an upgrade.
This page contains information specific to the 0.96 release. For more general information on Arena and HTML3, see:
Yes, there are bugs. Some of them are listed below, and some are
reposted in other peoples lists. If you want
to report a bug, please send the mail to email@example.com. Do not
use the email address that is printed when arena exits.
- experimental style sheets -- take a look at the html source of this
- ftp, news, gopher and directory browsing is now supported.
- new keys: Contol + arrow keys and Control-v, Meta-v
- grayscale jpeg images are handled
- the math module has been improved
Newly introduced bugs
- Internally, Arena is now using style sheets to format the page
even if there are no style sheets in the documents. This sometimes
introduces stylistic bugs. Send us your favorites.
- the HTML generated by the directory browsing routines is "Bad"
- forms and index searches don't work
- BASE tag is not supported yet
- ftp works, but requires terminal i/o
- The abort button does not scale horizontally when the font size is changed
- When an HREF has a change of font, the 3D box gets a stairstep appearance.
- 16 bit displays do have problems hosting arena. Who can do the
- images in 24 bit displays sometimes look awkward. I wish we had a
display to test this on.
- while editing, the browser window is not being refreshed
- the integral sign in some of the math examples is not properly aligned. This is caused by inconsistencies in the font metrics information
- math inside tables sometimes end up outside the border
- aligned inline images are no longer aligned if some have active
borders around them.
- textflow around pictures behaves weird when the edge of the window
- The BIG tag is not yet supported
User interface issues
- URL is not displayed when the pointer moves over the anchor
- error messages are not always informative
- there is no limit to the number of connections opened simultaneously
- protected documents are stored umask 000 in the cache
- empty math element will crash Arena
- A style element without ending tag will hang arena
- Arena flags HR within PRE as illegal
- DTs inside anchors destroys the anchor
- errors are only shown in view mode after an edit has been performed
- FIGs inside tables causes crash, use img instead
- nested tables causes crash
- </TEXTAREA> causes Arena to raise bad HTML flag
- PRE inside table crashes
- NOTE should honor the CLASS attribute, not the ROLE attribute
- CAPTION inside TABLE fails
Dave, Håkon, Henrik, Phill