IRC log of html-a11y on 2015-12-10

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:50:22 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #html-a11y
15:50:22 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2015/12/10-html-a11y-irc
15:50:24 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
15:50:26 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 2119
15:50:26 [Zakim]
I do not see a conference matching that name scheduled within the next hour, trackbot
15:50:27 [trackbot]
Meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference
15:50:27 [trackbot]
Date: 10 December 2015
15:52:02 [janina]
agenda?
15:52:09 [janina]
zakim, clear agenda
15:52:09 [Zakim]
agenda cleared
15:52:12 [janina]
agenda+ Identify Scribe http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List
15:52:15 [janina]
agenda+ Agenda Edits & Additions
15:52:18 [janina]
agenda+ The MSE CR http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/CR-media-source-20151112/
15:52:20 [janina]
agenda+ Housekeeping Updates -- Work Statement, Decision Policy, Etc.
15:52:23 [janina]
agenda+ Alt Doc Update -- Janina
15:52:25 [janina]
Agenda+ Footnotes Update -- Shane
15:52:28 [janina]
agenda+ Accessibility API Update -- Cynthia
15:52:30 [janina]
agenda+ TF Open Actions http://w3.org/wai/pf/html/track
15:52:33 [janina]
agenda+ Other Business
15:52:35 [janina]
agenda+ be done
15:53:12 [janina]
present+ janina
15:53:17 [janina]
chair: janina
15:53:21 [janina]
zakim, next item
15:53:21 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Identify Scribe http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List" taken up [from janina]
15:56:18 [Tink]
Tink has joined #html-a11y
16:02:16 [Tink]
present+ LJWatson
16:03:00 [JF]
JF has joined #html-a11y
16:04:11 [JF]
present+ JF
16:05:15 [chaals]
Present+ chaals
16:05:38 [chaals]
Present+ shanem, Liam, Steve
16:06:04 [ShaneM]
Scribe: ShaneM
16:06:15 [ShaneM]
zakim, next item
16:06:15 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Agenda Edits & Additions" taken up [from janina]
16:06:58 [ShaneM]
No changes - Liam has items for AOB
16:07:03 [ShaneM]
zakim, next item
16:07:03 [Zakim]
agendum 2 was just opened, ShaneM
16:07:07 [ShaneM]
zakim close item 2
16:07:10 [ShaneM]
zakim, close item 2
16:07:10 [Zakim]
agendum 2, Agenda Edits & Additions, closed
16:07:11 [Zakim]
I see 7 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
16:07:11 [Zakim]
3. The MSE CR http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/CR-media-source-20151112/ [from janina]
16:07:17 [ShaneM]
zakim, take up item 3
16:07:17 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "The MSE CR http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/CR-media-source-20151112/" taken up [from janina]
16:07:45 [ShaneM]
janina: MSE is in CR. We have discussed on this call and APA/PF has taken a good look at it.
16:07:49 [janina]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2015Nov/0281.html
16:07:53 [ShaneM]
... Shane did a review
16:08:19 [ShaneM]
... Was discussed on the APA call yesterday. Some other questions.
16:08:46 [ShaneM]
1) Does the spec need to do something more by way of supporting the various alternative media representations that MAUR supports (e.g., captions, sign language translation)
16:09:19 [ShaneM]
... Shane's opinion is that happens in a different part of the hierarchy. Janina is reasonably okay with the answer. What happens when the resources are coming from multiple servers?
16:09:34 [JF]
Q+ to also ask about non-media content, like WebVTT files
16:09:37 [ShaneM]
... in such a case there could be an issue with synchronization.
16:09:56 [ShaneM]
... we would like to see examples that would show the use of alternative media to help show that this is expected support.
16:10:36 [ShaneM]
2) Is the API that is defined in the spec well described in prose such that users can understand what the API is achieving?
16:11:04 [ShaneM]
... this has been an issue for a while in lots of specs. It is important to describe in words so that you can assess if the API is up to the task.
16:11:43 [ShaneM]
3) There is a chart that has alt text, but would benefit from longdesc or possibly even accessible SVG.
16:11:46 [chaals]
q+
16:12:39 [ShaneM]
janina: proposes doing a CFC about comments from PF and this call. Send preview to the authoring group
16:12:39 [janina]
q?
16:12:43 [ShaneM]
ack JF
16:12:43 [Zakim]
JF, you wanted to also ask about non-media content, like WebVTT files
16:12:43 [janina]
ack jf
16:13:07 [ShaneM]
JF: Some of the support stuff is not media content. It is WebVTT content or whatever. Not clear if those pieces are being pulled through.
16:13:25 [ShaneM]
... at some point there is a call to a piece of media content.
16:13:56 [janina]
ack ch
16:14:02 [ShaneM]
janina: it would be helpful understanding what piece puts the total user experience together.
16:14:56 [ShaneM]
chaals: roughly shane is on the money. synchronization layering happens above MSE.
16:15:06 [ShaneM]
... MediaController is likely to disappear from HTML.
16:15:26 [ShaneM]
... a diagram of how the layers fit together would be helpful - okay to ask MSE group to help with that.
16:15:41 [janina]
q?
16:15:42 [ShaneM]
... it would be reasonable to ask for accessible SVG but also ask for a description.
16:16:56 [janina]
q?
16:17:08 [ShaneM]
ShaneM: I think things like WebVTT are at a higher level and should just work - if any of this works at all.
16:17:15 [ShaneM]
janina: Does the procedure outlined make sense?
16:18:07 [chaals]
[Yes, ask for a week of extension on comments, with explanation, and run the CfC…]
16:18:16 [ShaneM]
+1
16:18:19 [liam]
+1
16:18:25 [JF]
+1
16:18:32 [ShaneM]
zakim, next item
16:18:32 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "Housekeeping Updates -- Work Statement, Decision Policy, Etc." taken up [from janina]
16:19:22 [chaals]
q+
16:19:36 [ShaneM]
janina: migration from old groups to new groups. new lists, archives, etc.
16:19:58 [ShaneM]
... things will change. Webex etc.
16:20:08 [chaals]
q- later
16:20:31 [ShaneM]
Check in early in the year - maybe on the 7th? No more meetings thisyear
16:20:39 [ShaneM]
s/thisyear/this year/
16:21:10 [ShaneM]
Next meeting will be 7 January 2016. new infrastructure then.
16:21:39 [ShaneM]
Last item is that we need to update the work statement and decision policy. Will be web platforms and APA instead of HTML and PFWG.
16:21:55 [ShaneM]
... if there are other tweaks to the decision policy etc please inform the group before the 7th.
16:22:11 [ShaneM]
ack liam
16:22:11 [Zakim]
liam, you wanted to note we don't actually need to move wiki pages
16:22:13 [janina]
ack l
16:22:44 [ShaneM]
liam: we can choose whether to move wikis. The fact that letters PF appear in the URI is orthogonal to the administrative structure. Its up to us.
16:22:52 [ShaneM]
... the webex call will change
16:23:06 [ShaneM]
janina: what about email lists?
16:23:14 [janina]
ack ch
16:23:18 [ShaneM]
liam: no need unless the names cause confusion
16:23:31 [ShaneM]
chaals: I would suggest that we do not change the wiki and the email lists.
16:23:42 [ShaneM]
.. .the existing name is reasonable
16:23:54 [ShaneM]
... web platform did not change its mailing list name
16:24:03 [ShaneM]
... did move wiki to github. not entirely a win.
16:24:07 [ShaneM]
janina: I'm happy with that.
16:24:25 [ShaneM]
janina: No additional comments. I will let Michael know and copy Liam.
16:24:38 [ShaneM]
zakim, next item
16:24:38 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "Alt Doc Update -- Janina" taken up [from janina]
16:25:32 [ShaneM]
janina: this is on hold because we expect we will adopt some new requirements and use cases
16:26:04 [ShaneM]
... seems to be consensus to move in the direction of detail / summary. Some things to be worked out. Disambiguation via @role, for example.
16:27:07 [ShaneM]
... if you want to participate in the next ARIA conversation about this, it will be discussed next week on ARIA.
16:27:26 [ShaneM]
If there is consensus at that call, there will be a CFC and then get the alt document updated accordingly.
16:27:33 [janina]
q?
16:27:36 [ShaneM]
s/at that call/on that call/
16:27:56 [ShaneM]
JF: 17th of december the ARIA call is at 12:30 eastern time
16:28:07 [ShaneM]
... IRC is #aria
16:28:18 [janina]
q?
16:28:22 [ShaneM]
zakim, next item
16:28:22 [Zakim]
agendum 6. "Footnotes Update -- Shane" taken up [from janina]
16:28:53 [ShaneM]
There is a wiki. Nothing new to report yet.
16:28:56 [ShaneM]
zakim, close this item
16:28:56 [Zakim]
agendum 6 closed
16:28:57 [Zakim]
I see 3 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
16:28:57 [Zakim]
7. Accessibility API Update -- Cynthia [from janina]
16:28:59 [ShaneM]
zakim, take up item 7
16:28:59 [Zakim]
agendum 7. "Accessibility API Update -- Cynthia" taken up [from janina]
16:29:15 [ShaneM]
zakim, take up item 8
16:29:15 [Zakim]
agendum 8. "TF Open Actions http://w3.org/wai/pf/html/track" taken up [from janina]
16:30:26 [ShaneM]
Action on janina was to ask for wider review of Alt. Overcome by events for now. Put it off until Feb
16:30:26 [trackbot]
Error finding 'on'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/users>.
16:30:42 [ShaneM]
There was an action on janina was to ask for wider review of Alt. Overcome by events for now. Put it off until Feb
16:30:43 [chaals]
action 334 due jan 28
16:30:43 [trackbot]
Error finding '334'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/users>.
16:30:52 [chaals]
actin-33 due jan 28
16:31:01 [chaals]
action-334 due jan 28
16:31:01 [trackbot]
Set action-334 Send out note requestiong wider review (includes wcag and eo) due date to 2015-01-28.
16:31:10 [chaals]
s/actin-33 due jan 28//
16:31:27 [ShaneM]
No other action item updates today
16:31:44 [ShaneM]
chaals: note that the web platform chairs are working on making HTML editable again.
16:31:45 [chaals]
s/action 334 due jan 28//
16:31:46 [ShaneM]
zakim, next item
16:31:46 [Zakim]
agendum 7. "Accessibility API Update -- Cynthia" taken up [from janina]
16:31:54 [chaals]
zakim, close item 7
16:31:54 [Zakim]
agendum 7, Accessibility API Update -- Cynthia, closed
16:31:55 [Zakim]
I see 2 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
16:31:55 [Zakim]
9. Other Business [from janina]
16:31:59 [chaals]
zakim, close item 8
16:31:59 [Zakim]
agendum 8, TF Open Actions http://w3.org/wai/pf/html/track, closed
16:32:00 [Zakim]
I see 2 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
16:32:00 [Zakim]
9. Other Business [from janina]
16:32:01 [ShaneM]
zakim, take up item 9
16:32:02 [Zakim]
agendum 9. "Other Business" taken up [from janina]
16:32:36 [liam]
http://emmyonline.com/tech_67th_recipients ANNUAL TECHNOLOGY & ENGINEERING EMMY® AWARDS
16:32:40 [ShaneM]
liam: Annual Technology and Engineering Emmy Awards were in September
16:32:50 [ShaneM]
ceremony on 8 January.
16:33:08 [liam]
"Standardization and Pioneering Development of Non-Live Broadband Captioning"
16:33:20 [ShaneM]
W3C got an award. Yay us
16:33:30 [janina]
e-champaigne all around!
16:33:55 [chaals]
[yay]
16:34:07 [janina]
MAUR is now a W3C Note: http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/
16:34:09 [ShaneM]
janina: since last telecom MAUR is a published note
16:34:37 [ShaneM]
rrsagent. make minutes
16:34:44 [ShaneM]
rrsagent, make minutes
16:34:44 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/12/10-html-a11y-minutes.html ShaneM
16:35:24 [Tink]
Tink has left #html-a11y
16:35:42 [chaals]
(regrets for 7 / 14 January. I'll be in a timezone that makes this call "unlikely")
16:35:48 [ShaneM]
zakim, adjourn
16:35:48 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'adjourn', ShaneM
16:36:05 [ShaneM]
rrsagent, stop listening
16:36:05 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'stop listening', ShaneM. Try /msg RRSAgent help
16:36:14 [ShaneM]
rrsagent, adjourn meeting
16:36:14 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'adjourn meeting', ShaneM. Try /msg RRSAgent help
16:36:49 [ShaneM]
rrsagent. show action items
16:36:56 [ShaneM]
rrsagent, show action items
16:36:56 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items
16:38:04 [ShaneM]
rrsagent, silence