Efficient XML Interchange Working Group Teleconference

10 Nov 2015

See also: IRC log




<trackbot> Date: 10 November 2015

<scribe> scribe: TK

<scribe> scribeNick: taki

Re: JSON Schema

DP: Their conclusion was that it is not practical to use the same schema.
... MK suggested us to use xsd:override, which is XSD 1.1 feature.
... EXI uses XSD 1.0.

TK: I agree that I should not depend on XSD 1.1 at this point.

DP: I will try to check whether we can override with XSD 1.0 mechanism.
... I want to also try to remove their extension as well.
... I wonder it is very good idea at all. They already have two versions.
... If we just extend their schema, there will be interoperability between them and us.
... We can also re-generate original JSON.
... XQuery can't interpret our internal constructs.
... If we use binary element, we need to convert back to JSON.
... We may want to use a different URI.
... Do we still need to support other types?

TK: The goal should not be to support all XSD types.

DP: For decimal and integer, our documents should say they need to be converted back to number.

TK: Let's remove unsignedInteger as well for simplicity.

DP: I will also remove extension attributes from the original schema.
... Don (DB), we now have a JavaScript implementation.
... We will soon publish a playground for it.

DB: JSON encoding of X3D is nearly complete.
... When to use JSON object vs JSON array. I can post that information.

DP: I plan to also publish preliminary support for JSON.
... You can also try to use it.

DB: That's a great idea. There is another implementation that is coming. I have build script.
... EXI vs compressed JSON. I am interested in the difference.
... I will post it, and we can further discuss in next telecon.
... JSON schema is another feature that is interesting.

DP: X3D already uses JSON schema?

DB: No. not yet.
... JSON schema generator still does not produce consistent result.

DP: There are several JSON schema languages, I believe.

DB: Maybe just a few. JSON schema is maturing. But not yet stable.
... I will link that in my post.
... DP, you mentioned publishing, is it gonna be public?

DP: It is not yet out.
... We discussed during TPAC. I will publish this week on public list.

DB: Thank you.

Canonical EXI

Support for Canonical EXI interoperability test in TTFMS

DP: Depending on the test case, you encounter conflicting options.
... e.g. support for PI in strict mode.
... We could fix the framework.
... We could give a warning, but the framework should ensure consistent setting and move forward.

TK: What do you wanna do for PI and strict?

DP: If we give a warning, one should ultimately go back to test case and fix it.
... I do not mind which interpretation framework should take as long as it is consistent.

<scribe> ACTION: TK to modify TTFMS to give warning for inconsistent setting and resolve inconsistency. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-exi-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-730 - Modify ttfms to give warning for inconsistent setting and resolve inconsistency. [on Takuki Kamiya - due 2015-11-17].

DB: Is there any name for JSON support?

DP: currently I use name "EXI4JSON"
... Empty character events.
... If you expect a text in an element, you need to add CH event.
... Empty string is represented with one byte.

TK: What we should do for schema-less case?

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: TK to modify TTFMS to give warning for inconsistent setting and resolve inconsistency. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-exi-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/11/10 16:38:34 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: TK
Found ScribeNick: taki

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: DB DP TK exi joined liam scribeNick trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 10 Nov 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/11/10-exi-minutes.html
People with action items: tk

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]