Low Vision Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

28 Oct 2015

See also: IRC log


Alan, Andrew, Bruce, Bruce_Bailey, Jim, Jon, Laura, Shawn, Chuck, Wayne, Erich
Jim and Andrew


<trackbot> Date: 28 October 2015

<allanj> "User Stories" morphed into succinct "User issues"/"User experience problems"

<shawn> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: Low Vision Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 28 October 2015

<allanj> "User Stories" morphed into succinct "User issues"/"User experience problems"

scrib: chuckop

<scribe> scribe: chuckop

<allanj> close item 1


take up next item

<AWK> Discussing this page: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/wiki/User_stories_-_use_cases

Jim did clean up on the user stories use cases page

Jim encourages others to clean up, add to, and generally improve the use cases

Allan also did some additions

Bruce notes that the use cases are looking better

<Zakim> Bruce_Bailey, you wanted to ask about UC cites

take up next item

<Wayne> wayne+

<allanj> close item 2

<allanj> ontology http://nosetothepage.org/WCAG/LVEffects_files/Dictionary.html

Wayne: Created ontology/dictionary page located at http://nosetothepage.org/WCAG/LVEffects_files/Dictionary.html
... symptoms fall into two categories
... our use cases will turn into our lists (of requirements? of tasks?)

John: preference is not to focus not on medical model of low vision, but rather on the functional barriers.
... the problem isn't the condition, but that the content isn't adaptable

<shawn> + 1 to content & tools is the problem, not the user

Wayne: general agreement

Jon: Preference to ensure our wiki and notes reflect the functional barriers

<allanj> +1 user is not the problem

<shawn> +1 to medical model OK in wiki for data analysis but not in final docs

<jon_avila> great

Andrew: Our intent is to have an appendix that references medical terminology to help with mapping
... Not to focus on the medical diagnoses

<jon_avila> thanks

<jon_avila> Yes, the info is very good.

Laura: the appendix and mapping can be very useful

jim: thanks wayne for his work and encourages others to contribute to it.

close item 3

Shawn: Thinks ChuckOp is best scribe evah!

Jim: Shawn did amazing work on Low Vision requirements and would like to discuss that now

take up item 5

<shawn> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/wiki/Low_Vision_User_Requirements

Shawn: What if we started presenting actual user requirements? Went through use cases and started translating them into requirements with categories, with handles and notes.
... First pass, not polished, use as a starting point

Jim: Was reading the requirements, calls it an amazing amount of work.
... We can edit and add to the requirements since it is in a wiki

Shawn: Notes difficulty of editing and using wiki markup

<jon_avila> Yes, great stuff!

<laura> Excellent work, Shawn.

<jon_avila> I wonder if it would help to mark some of these as scoped to authored content or user agent

Jim: Shawn, how did you come up with categories?

<allanj> Shawn's TAdER work - http://www.tader.info/index.html

<allanj> (Text Adaptability is Essential for Reading)

Shawn: I added some categories based on information in the use cases and user stories. Wondered about organizing according to the high level overview, might need sub-categories.
... Categories are a bucketing system, Handle is a one-word (ideally) title.

<allanj> I prefer table

Shawn: What's better; tables or paragraphs?

Jim: I like the table

Discussion between Jim and Shawn regarding wording of "user can..."

<allanj> looking at "Related information is in close proximity. " or "user can choose to have related information in close proximity to viewport"

<allanj> content developer vs browser developer

Wayne: We have reps from WAI UA and GL groups. We need to separate

Jon: Some of these can be both. Content zooming for example.

Shawn: Good point

Thanks Allan

<allanj> shawn: Say what users need...then say what content folks can do, and what browser folks can do

<allanj> what the content authors or browsers do are solutions to user needs

<allanj> + 1 Focus: User needs!!

Shawn: Eventually we need to do the breakout that Jim references, but not to do it too early. Focus on getting the first draft out first (of user requirements)
... The work that everyone did (Jim, et al) on use cases really helped in drafting requirements.

<allanj> it takes a working group...

<Bruce_Bailey> Shawn asking about " Icon fonts that when combined with custom fonts are browser/AT combinations like ZoomText and Firefox change to squares and are unrecognizable."

<Bruce_Bailey> Bruce asked about "WingDings" but Andrew says situation can be more complex than that.

Jon: discussion of symbol fonts and availability of fonts when working with low vision tools

<AWK> Of interest for icon fonts: https://www.filamentgroup.com/lab/bulletproof_icon_fonts.html

Jon: ARIA labels can be used to provide textual context to symbols

?: Not easily accessible to keyboard users

<Bruce_Bailey> Bruce thanks Andrew for the example. Here is one that might be related: https://css-tricks.com/examples/IconFont/

Jim: How would names/description be made available for symbol-based characters

Andrew: Other user groups can benefit from icon-based fonts

<allanj> wayne: high contrast icon font available?

Shawn: One of the issues: if we mess up and overlap editing can be problematic.

Jim: Should we do editing over the mailing list and send issues to Shawn for editing?

Shawn: Is okay with being the primary editor for the time being.

Jim: Send issues and discussion to the mailing list, and Shawn will incorporate into the user requirements page
... Really excited and thanks Shawn

<laura> Thanks everyone.

<shawn> good team work, folks!

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/10/28 15:31:58 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/CA/GL/
Succeeded: s/ [ eowg tried using icons fonts and gave up and used SVG ]//
Found Scribe: chuckop
Inferring ScribeNick: ChuckOp

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Default Present: Shawn, Bruce, Andrew, Alan, Jim, Bruce_Bailey, Charles, Laura, Jon, AWK, Chuck, Wayne, Erich
Present: Alan Andrew Bruce Bruce_Bailey Jim Jon Laura Shawn Chuck Wayne Erich
Found Date: 28 Oct 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/10/28-lvtf-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]