IRC log of html-media on 2015-06-30

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:46:11 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #html-media
14:46:11 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2015/06/30-html-media-irc
14:46:13 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
14:46:13 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #html-media
14:46:15 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 63342
14:46:15 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see HTML_WG()11:00AM scheduled to start in 14 minutes
14:46:16 [trackbot]
Meeting: HTML Media Task Force Teleconference
14:46:16 [trackbot]
Date: 30 June 2015
14:46:59 [paulc]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Jun/0046.html
14:55:42 [Zakim]
HTML_WG()11:00AM has now started
14:55:49 [Zakim]
+ +1.206.876.aaaa
14:55:57 [MattWolenetz]
MattWolenetz has joined #html-media
14:56:55 [MattWolenetz]
zakim, who is on the line
14:56:55 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who is on the line', MattWolenetz
14:57:16 [paulc]
zakim, who is on the phone?
14:57:16 [Zakim]
On the phone I see +1.206.876.aaaa
14:58:46 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
14:58:56 [paulc]
zakim, [Microsoft] is me
14:58:56 [Zakim]
+paulc; got it
14:59:03 [MattWolenetz]
zakim, aaaa is me
14:59:03 [Zakim]
+MattWolenetz; got it
14:59:26 [paulc]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Jun/0046.html
14:59:33 [paulc]
Chair: paulc
14:59:40 [paulc]
Scribnick: paulc
15:00:47 [paulc]
rrsagent, generate the minutes
15:00:47 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/06/30-html-media-minutes.html paulc
15:01:23 [davide]
davide has joined #html-media
15:02:01 [Zakim]
+??P3
15:02:38 [davide]
zakim, who is on the phone?
15:02:38 [Zakim]
On the phone I see MattWolenetz, paulc, ??P3
15:02:47 [davide]
zakim, ??P3 is me
15:02:47 [Zakim]
+davide; got it
15:04:20 [paulc]
test
15:04:55 [jdsmith]
jdsmith has joined #html-media
15:05:04 [paulc]
present+ paulc
15:05:21 [paulc]
present+ MattWolenetz
15:05:29 [paulc]
present+ davide
15:05:39 [paulc]
present+ jdsmith
15:05:46 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
15:06:06 [paulc]
zakim, [Micrsoft] is jdsmith
15:06:06 [Zakim]
sorry, paulc, I do not recognize a party named '[Micrsoft]'
15:06:19 [paulc]
zakim, [Microsoft] is jdsmith
15:06:19 [Zakim]
+jdsmith; got it
15:06:27 [paulc]
Zakimk, who is present?
15:06:36 [paulc]
zakim, who is present?
15:06:36 [Zakim]
I don't understand your question, paulc.
15:06:43 [paulc]
zakim, who is here?
15:06:43 [Zakim]
On the phone I see MattWolenetz, paulc, davide, jdsmith
15:06:45 [Zakim]
On IRC I see jdsmith, davide, MattWolenetz, Zakim, RRSAgent, paulc, trackbot, cwilso, adrianba
15:06:59 [paulc]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Jun/0046.html
15:07:07 [paulc]
Topic: MSE action items
15:07:26 [paulc]
ACTION-95?
15:07:26 [trackbot]
ACTION-95 -- Paul Cotton to Try to get some to update the firefox results -- due 2015-06-23 -- OPEN
15:07:26 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/95
15:08:30 [paulc]
See http://w3c.github.io/test-results/media-source/all.html
15:08:38 [paulc]
Matt added these results
15:08:48 [paulc]
Close ACTION-95
15:08:48 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-95.
15:09:06 [paulc]
ACTION-96
15:09:07 [trackbot]
ACTION-96 -- Jerry Smith to Update microsoft mse test results -- due 2015-06-23 -- OPEN
15:09:07 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/96
15:09:30 [paulc]
Matt: I added the Spartan results. Jerry please check these.
15:09:50 [paulc]
... I wonder what the priority of MSE prioritzation within MSFT?
15:10:08 [paulc]
... Previously Jerry said he was working "heads down" on EME.
15:10:24 [paulc]
Jerry: Just started to looks at MSE results
15:10:41 [paulc]
Matt: Please let me know if you want any assistance or have questions
15:10:54 [paulc]
close ACTION-96
15:10:54 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-96.
15:11:08 [paulc]
ACTION-97?
15:11:08 [trackbot]
ACTION-97 -- Paul Cotton to Contact apple about safari support and if they are interested in mse testing -- due 2015-06-23 -- OPEN
15:11:08 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/97
15:11:28 [paulc]
Mike Smith added Safari results in http://w3c.github.io/test-results/media-source/all.html
15:11:48 [paulc]
Matt: Mike may have updated the Firefox results as well and lost a Chrome set of results
15:12:28 [paulc]
Matt: Lots of time outs for Safari - could be a test runner problem, or a special flag is needed
15:12:46 [paulc]
Close ACTION-97
15:12:46 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-97.
15:13:09 [paulc]
Topic: MSE testing update
15:13:26 [paulc]
Update from Matt: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Jun/0040.html
15:14:12 [paulc]
Matt: I have been asking about the WebIDL possible problems
15:14:41 [paulc]
[Chromium] MSE w3c web-platform-tests interface.html shows multiple unexpected failures: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=504170
15:15:12 [paulc]
paulc: Matt's work has been concentrated on generates "columns" of results for different MSE implementations.
15:15:39 [paulc]
... Has anyone thought about whether we have ther right number of "rows" ie the right number or coverage of tests?
15:16:31 [paulc]
Matt: Mozilla is active in changing and adding tests
15:16:46 [paulc]
... I want to post up some new Chromium tests as well
15:17:03 [paulc]
... there are likely some coverage tests
15:18:29 [paulc]
Matt: The Mozilla new tests are being done as Pull Requests by ms2ger and jgraham
15:19:17 [paulc]
Matt: I will be working on fixing bad cells and adding coverage as we go forward
15:19:59 [paulc]
Jun 29 test results including Safari results: http://w3c.github.io/test-results/media-source/all.html
15:20:26 [paulc]
Topic: MSE Bug 28822
15:20:48 [paulc]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=28822
15:21:16 [paulc]
MSE] Spec is ambiguous as to event behavior of an explicit MediaSource duration of +Infinity
15:21:51 [paulc]
"By my reading, the specs are currently ambiguous as to what happens when the MediaSource.duration gets set to +Infinity. Do we fire durationchange or not?"
15:22:19 [paulc]
Matt: Should we allow changing the Duration from +infinity to something else?
15:23:42 [paulc]
... The spec only sets +Infinity when we extract it from the in band media ie if there is no value there
15:23:57 [paulc]
... The bug contains a good question
15:24:23 [paulc]
... Does it make sense to change a finite duration to +Infinity?
15:24:50 [paulc]
Jerry: When would this occur ie going from a fixed duration to an unknown duration?
15:26:06 [paulc]
Matt: Inifinity is used for an bounded stream
15:26:21 [paulc]
s/bounded/unbounded/
15:28:02 [MattWolenetz]
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/embedded-content-0.html#durationChange
15:30:04 [paulc]
The quoted text in the bug is from Step 6 in http://www.w3.org/TR/media-source/#duration-change-algorithm
15:33:34 [paulc]
Matt: I will respond to this bug, resolve it WONTFIX since Infinity is a known value (it means unbounded). The only unknow value is NaN which is the initial value.
15:34:35 [paulc]
Topic: MSE Bug 28857
15:34:46 [paulc]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=28857
15:34:58 [paulc]
[MSE] Support attachment (and inspection) of MediaSource to HTMLMediaElement via HTMLMediaElement.srcObject
15:35:45 [paulc]
See suggested change in https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=28857#c1
15:38:26 [paulc]
First the HTML5 reference is http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/embedded-content-0.html#location-of-the-media-resource
15:42:03 [paulc]
The HTML5.1 reference is http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/semantics.html#location-of-the-media-resource
15:47:58 [paulc]
paulc: The question here is if we want to align MSE 1.0 with a feature that is not in HTML5 but is in HTML5.1
15:48:24 [paulc]
... we could fork MSE 1.0 to start working on MSE 1.1, we could start a list of future features to include this one, etc.
15:51:41 [paulc]
... So the summary here is that adding this 5.1 feature would definitely taking MSE out of CR and back to WD or LC
15:53:23 [MattWolenetz]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/page.cgi?id=fields.html#bug_status
15:54:41 [paulc]
Matt will update as RESOLVED LATER and we can in the future collect together additional features for a new version of MSE
15:55:39 [paulc]
Topic: Range removal algorithm
15:56:20 [paulc]
Matt: There is set of related bugs on the range removal algorithm
15:56:44 [MattWolenetz]
bugs 27980, 27982 and one other like "no frame removed on duration truncation"
15:57:21 [paulc]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=27980
15:57:26 [paulc]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=27982
15:58:57 [paulc]
Matt: There two bugs are dependent on each other
16:00:20 [paulc]
Matt: The problem here is fall out from moving the algorithm from synchronous to asynchronous
16:03:25 [paulc]
jerry: I will comment on the bug after the meeting.
16:04:09 [paulc]
paulc: Add the third bug to the dependency list.
16:04:15 [paulc]
Topic: Next meeting
16:04:30 [paulc]
proposal is that EME next week and then return to MSE in two weeks
16:05:11 [paulc]
And note Zakim is going away and we are switching to Webex for future meetings. so the phone call changes.
16:05:51 [paulc]
Webex information: https://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/Media_Task_Force/Call
16:07:59 [paulc]
rrsagent, generate the minutes
16:07:59 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/06/30-html-media-minutes.html paulc
16:09:12 [Zakim]
-jdsmith
16:09:13 [Zakim]
-davide
16:09:13 [Zakim]
-MattWolenetz
16:09:14 [Zakim]
HTML_WG()11:00AM has ended
16:09:14 [Zakim]
Attendees were +1.206.876.aaaa, paulc, MattWolenetz, davide, jdsmith
16:11:56 [davide]
davide has left #html-media
17:31:43 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #html-media