IRC log of i18n on 2015-02-19

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:56:01 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
14:56:01 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-irc
14:56:05 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
14:56:12 [aphillip]
trackbot, prepare teleconference
14:56:14 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:56:16 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 4186
14:56:17 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see I18N_WG()10:00AM scheduled to start in 4 minutes
14:56:17 [trackbot]
Meeting: Internationalization Working Group Teleconference
14:56:17 [trackbot]
Date: 19 February 2015
14:56:26 [aphillip]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Feb/0010.html
14:56:41 [Steve_Atkin]
Steve_Atkin has joined #i18n
14:56:56 [aphillip]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Feb/0013.html
14:57:14 [aphillip]
agenda+ RADAR and Active Work Review
14:57:19 [Zakim]
I18N_WG()10:00AM has now started
14:57:25 [aphillip]
agenda+ Boxed characters and Initial Letter
14:57:26 [Zakim]
+ +1.813.410.aaaa
14:57:31 [aphillip]
agenda+ qa-no-language update
14:57:45 [aphillip]
regrets+ Felix
14:57:56 [aphillip]
regrets+ Leandro
14:58:14 [aphillip]
regrets+ Dennis
14:58:32 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
14:59:07 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard please
14:59:07 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
14:59:08 [Zakim]
+Richard
14:59:22 [Steve_Atkin]
Yes I am on
14:59:31 [JcK]
JcK has joined #i18n
15:00:26 [Zakim]
+JcK
15:00:29 [David]
David has joined #I18n
15:00:41 [Zakim]
+aphillip
15:01:03 [aphillip]
agenda?
15:01:14 [aphillip]
zakim, who is here?
15:01:14 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Steve_Atkin, Richard, JcK, aphillip
15:01:16 [Zakim]
On IRC I see David, JcK, Steve_Atkin, Zakim, RRSAgent, aphillip, fantasai, fsasaki, r12a, koji, trackbot
15:01:19 [aphillip]
Chair: Addison Phillips
15:01:24 [aphillip]
ScribeNick: aphillip
15:01:29 [aphillip]
Scribe: Addison Phillips
15:01:31 [Zakim]
+??P15
15:01:45 [aphillip]
zakim, ??P15 is David
15:01:45 [Zakim]
+David; got it
15:01:55 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:03:08 [r12a]
here already
15:04:28 [aphillip]
Topic: Agenda
15:04:30 [aphillip]
agenda?
15:05:17 [aphillip]
agenda+ Linked Data review
15:05:32 [aphillip]
agenda+ WebVTT
15:05:43 [aphillip]
Topic: Action Items
15:05:53 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open
15:06:35 [aphillip]
action-113?
15:06:35 [trackbot]
action-113 -- Richard Ishida to Work on tidying up Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML & CSS over coming couple of months -- due 2015-02-05 -- OPEN
15:06:35 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/113
15:06:43 [aphillip]
richard: aharon responded
15:06:54 [aphillip]
... hopefully in next couple of weeks take decisison to publish
15:07:18 [aphillip]
action-360?
15:07:18 [trackbot]
action-360 -- Xiaoqian Wu to Survey publishers if there are requirements for additional/more specific styles in chinese e-books -- due 2014-11-06 -- OPEN
15:07:18 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/360
15:09:33 [aphillip]
action-401?
15:09:33 [trackbot]
action-401 -- Richard Ishida to Send source text for "intro to web addresses" to dennis -- due 2015-02-19 -- OPEN
15:09:33 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/401
15:09:45 [aphillip]
richard: converted to html5, fixed some things and sent
15:09:48 [aphillip]
close action-401
15:09:48 [trackbot]
Closed action-401.
15:10:09 [aphillip]
close action-402
15:10:11 [trackbot]
Closed action-402.
15:12:13 [aphillip]
action-404?
15:12:13 [trackbot]
action-404 -- Dennis Tan Tanaka to Check on zwj and friends in idna so that we can document in charmod-norm -- due 2015-02-19 -- OPEN
15:12:13 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/404
15:12:23 [aphillip]
addison: (summarized)
15:12:34 [aphillip]
jck: point me to relative text to summarize for you?
15:13:00 [aphillip]
http://www.inter-locale.com/w3c/charmod-norm-20150207.html#unicodeControls
15:13:07 [Najib-ma]
Najib-ma has joined #i18n
15:13:44 [aphillip]
action-405?
15:13:44 [trackbot]
action-405 -- Addison Phillips to Ensure "manifest for web applications" is reviewd by 5 March -- due 2015-02-26 -- OPEN
15:13:44 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/405
15:13:46 [aphillip]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2015JanMar/0067.html
15:14:14 [aphillip]
Topic: Info Share
15:14:22 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:14:45 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/html5/bidi-requirements/results-rli-etc
15:14:55 [aphillip]
richard: bring to your attention that I got around making tests for RLI, FSI, etc.
15:15:02 [aphillip]
... please take a look at the tests if interested
15:15:08 [aphillip]
... these test dir isolation
15:15:19 [aphillip]
... we don't have great coverage in browsers
15:15:25 [aphillip]
... perhaps raise bugs?
15:16:20 [aphillip]
addison: this is for the Unicode control characters, not HTML isolation
15:16:24 [aphillip]
richard: right
15:16:36 [aphillip]
... should replace RLE etc.
15:16:48 [aphillip]
... needed in things like javascript or in attribute values
15:17:22 [aphillip]
addison: implementation state in icu and which version may be driving
15:20:28 [aphillip]
action: addison: ping ICU folks about implementation of RLI and friends in ICU, specific version and ask for review of tests richard created
15:20:29 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-406 - Ping icu folks about implementation of rli and friends in icu, specific version and ask for review of tests richard created [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-02-26].
15:20:55 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:21:06 [aphillip]
agenda?
15:21:12 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 1
15:21:12 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "RADAR and Active Work Review" taken up [from aphillip]
15:21:20 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar
15:21:43 [aphillip]
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-appmanifest-20150212/>
15:21:51 [aphillip]
due 5 March
15:22:20 [aphillip]
addison: will shepherd and set up tracker
15:22:49 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar
15:25:06 [aphillip]
encoding tests
15:25:12 [aphillip]
richard: gaining priority
15:25:19 [aphillip]
... if anyone wants to work on them...
15:25:58 [aphillip]
action: addison: work with richard to draft text and then send to www-international a call for tests for encoding
15:25:58 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-407 - Work with richard to draft text and then send to www-international a call for tests for encoding [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-02-26].
15:28:36 [aphillip]
agenda?
15:29:21 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 3
15:29:21 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "qa-no-language update" taken up [from aphillip]
15:29:40 [aphillip]
JcK: calling out lang independent identifiers
15:29:51 [aphillip]
... separately from part numbers, and such
15:30:00 [aphillip]
.. don't know how much to say there?
15:30:24 [aphillip]
richard: think my response would be "not trying to be exhaustive"
15:30:30 [aphillip]
... if there were something you wanted to label
15:30:35 [aphillip]
... how would you do it?
15:30:43 [aphillip]
... you gave some good examples
15:30:56 [aphillip]
richard: when marking up for language
15:31:04 [aphillip]
... there are many reasons
15:31:22 [aphillip]
... so for example if you have something in Chinese, you might want to mark as Chinese to get the right font
15:31:50 [aphillip]
... or if you have a spell-checker and you don't want it to spell check specific things
15:31:57 [aphillip]
... or maybe extract things in a language
15:32:00 [aphillip]
... etc.
15:32:12 [aphillip]
... and the first question is why you want to mark things up
15:36:28 [aphillip]
(discussion)
15:36:38 [aphillip]
richard: will look at john's note and add examples to article
15:37:09 [aphillip]
agenda?
15:38:04 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 5
15:38:04 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "WebVTT" taken up [from aphillip]
15:38:15 [aphillip]
richard: was asked specifically if we would review this
15:38:26 [aphillip]
... in new publication process
15:43:14 [aphillip]
action: addison: raise need for formal I18N review step in new process on chairs@
15:43:14 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-408 - Raise need for formal i18n review step in new process on chairs@ [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-02-26].
15:44:11 [aphillip]
richard: did start reviewing
15:44:35 [aphillip]
... WebVTT is a spec for adding text to video or audio streams
15:44:40 [aphillip]
... such as subtitles
15:44:48 [aphillip]
... needs to support many language
15:44:52 [aphillip]
.. support vertical text
15:44:56 [aphillip]
... support RTL
15:44:58 [aphillip]
... etc.
15:45:10 [aphillip]
... lots of info on where to place the "subtitle"
15:45:28 [aphillip]
... and what reference points are for e.g. bidi or vertical, etc.
15:45:34 [aphillip]
... some attention paid to language
15:45:40 [aphillip]
... including internal to a string
15:46:07 [aphillip]
richard: maybe a gap: no base direction?
15:46:31 [aphillip]
addison: will open a tracker right after call
15:46:47 [aphillip]
richard: great if we can get eyes on it
15:46:57 [Steve_Atkin]
\
15:47:14 [aphillip]
set deadline for two weeks
15:47:19 [aphillip]
agenda?
15:47:34 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 4
15:47:34 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "Linked Data review" taken up [from aphillip]
15:47:52 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/TR/ldpatch/
15:48:02 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/International/track/products/69
15:48:22 [aphillip]
issue-409?
15:48:22 [trackbot]
issue-409 -- What are the string matching rules in the delete operation -- open
15:48:22 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/409
15:48:28 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:48:41 [aphillip]
steve: don't define what it means for a string to "match"
15:48:49 [aphillip]
... they have e.g. a delete operation
15:48:55 [aphillip]
... what are the rules for string matching?
15:49:02 [aphillip]
... does normalization, et al apply?
15:49:31 [aphillip]
steve: this is about "patching" RDF graphs
15:50:34 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/TR/ldpatch/#delete-statement
15:51:29 [aphillip]
issue-410?
15:51:29 [trackbot]
issue-410 -- Language tags should reference BCP 47 -- open
15:51:29 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/410
15:51:38 [aphillip]
steve: if you scroll to bottom of seciton 3
15:51:44 [aphillip]
... concrete syntax
15:51:52 [aphillip]
... they have an element called 'langtag'
15:52:00 [aphillip]
... defining language tags??
15:52:06 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/TR/ldpatch/#dfn-langtag
15:54:34 [aphillip]
addison: should reference obs langtag in bcp47
15:54:54 [aphillip]
richard: should reference bcp47 somewhere
15:55:52 [aphillip]
issue-411?
15:55:52 [trackbot]
issue-411 -- Definition of whitespace should come from Unicode -- open
15:55:52 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/411
15:59:41 [aphillip]
richard: define sort of a "best practices" so we can show to WGs ahead (rather than correcting later)
16:00:31 [r12a]
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Bp_spec_bidi
16:00:54 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs-dynamic
16:07:42 [aphillip]
action: addison: add creation of best practices for spec authors to project radar
16:07:45 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-409 - Add creation of best practices for spec authors to project radar [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-02-26].
16:11:05 [aphillip]
chair: make wg comments?
16:11:10 [aphillip]
none noted
16:11:17 [aphillip]
remove provisional
16:11:41 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions
16:12:19 [aphillip]
agenda?
16:12:23 [aphillip]
Topic: AOB?
16:13:03 [Zakim]
-Steve_Atkin
16:13:16 [Zakim]
-David
16:13:27 [Zakim]
-JcK
16:13:34 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
16:14:40 [aphillip]
Present: Addison, Richard, JcK, Steve, Dennis
16:14:48 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
16:31:16 [Zakim]
-aphillip
16:36:16 [Zakim]
disconnecting the lone participant, Richard, in I18N_WG()10:00AM
16:36:18 [Zakim]
I18N_WG()10:00AM has ended
16:36:18 [Zakim]
Attendees were +1.813.410.aaaa, Richard, Steve_Atkin, JcK, aphillip, David
17:09:09 [aphillip]
RRSAgent, make minutes
17:09:09 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
17:09:13 [aphillip]
rrsagent, bye
17:09:13 [RRSAgent]
I see 4 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-actions.rdf :
17:09:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: ping ICU folks about implementation of RLI and friends in ICU, specific version and ask for review of tests richard created [1]
17:09:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-irc#T15-20-28
17:09:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: work with richard to draft text and then send to www-international a call for tests for encoding [2]
17:09:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-irc#T15-25-58
17:09:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: raise need for formal I18N review step in new process on chairs@ [3]
17:09:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-irc#T15-43-14
17:09:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: add creation of best practices for spec authors to project radar [4]
17:09:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-irc#T16-07-42
17:09:14 [aphillip]
zakim, bye
17:09:14 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18n