IRC log of tvapi on 2015-02-17

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:04:14 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #tvapi
14:04:14 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-irc
14:04:26 [kaz]
Meeting: TV Control API CG
14:06:13 [kaz]
zakim, this is tv
14:06:20 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #tvapi
14:06:21 [kaz]
zakim, this is tv
14:06:21 [Zakim]
kaz, WEBT_TVAPICG()9:00AM is already associated with an irc channel; use 'move tv to here' if you mean to reassociate the channel
14:06:30 [whyun]
whyun has joined #tvapi
14:06:31 [kaz]
zakim, move tv to here
14:06:32 [Zakim]
ok, kaz; that matches WEBT_TVAPICG()9:00AM
14:06:32 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
14:06:42 [kaz]
zakim, IPcaller is skim13
14:06:42 [Zakim]
+skim13; got it
14:07:16 [ddavis]
ddavis has joined #tvapi
14:07:16 [skim13]
skim13 has joined #tvapi
14:07:30 [kaz]
zakim, who is here?
14:07:30 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Kazuyuki, Paul_Higgs, Chris, Bin_Hu, ddavis (muted), skim13
14:07:32 [Zakim]
On IRC I see skim13, ddavis, whyun, Zakim, RRSAgent, kaz, cpn, Bin_Hu, Paul_Higgs, jcverdie, ted, trackbot
14:08:17 [kaz]
Present: Kaz, Paul, Chris, Bin, Daniel, Sung-Hei
14:09:05 [kaz]
agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tvapi/2015Feb/0000.html
14:09:11 [kaz]
topic: actions
14:09:21 [kaz]
action-22?
14:09:21 [trackbot]
action-22 -- Daniel Davis to And kaz to add a column to the mapping table to measure the progress of our specification. -- due 2015-01-27 -- OPEN
14:09:21 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/track/actions/22
14:09:33 [kaz]
close action-22
14:09:33 [trackbot]
Closed action-22.
14:10:01 [cpn]
Scribe: Chris
14:10:05 [kaz]
scribenick: cpn
14:10:23 [Zakim]
+??P22
14:10:41 [kaz]
zakim, ??P22 is alex
14:10:41 [Zakim]
+alex; got it
14:11:09 [kaz]
Present+ Alex
14:11:28 [aldafu]
aldafu has joined #tvapi
14:11:32 [ddavis]
https://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/wiki/Main_Page/Requirements_Mapping -> Requirements Mapping table
14:11:52 [ddavis]
zakim, unmute me
14:11:52 [Zakim]
ddavis should no longer be muted
14:12:27 [Paul_Higgs]
cannot hear daniel
14:12:35 [ddavis]
:-(
14:13:14 [cpn]
Daniel: The draft API is largely the same as the Mozilla TV API
14:13:31 [cpn]
... one difference regards the tuner notifications, which were supported in a previous version, but not in the current draft
14:13:37 [kaz]
i/https/Progress measurement of the draft of technical specification/
14:13:44 [kaz]
rrsagent, make log public
14:13:49 [kaz]
rrsagent, draft minutes
14:13:49 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html kaz
14:14:19 [cpn]
... Under general program requirements, we have program data detail, there's a comment saying the requirement is unclear
14:14:31 [kaz]
s/Progress measurement/topic: Progress measurement/
14:14:32 [kaz]
rrsagent, draft minutes
14:14:32 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html kaz
14:14:37 [Paul_Higgs]
"[program.data.detail] Other detailed information of the channel/program with TV stream. "
14:15:56 [cpn]
Bin: My understanding is this could be a general object allowing for other information, which could be extended by the implementation
14:16:41 [cpn]
Daniel: In terms of progress, we have some requirements supported and some not
14:16:51 [cpn]
... Some sections are blank, such as time shifting and recording
14:17:16 [cpn]
... Should we focus on completing the partially supported sections first?
14:17:57 [cpn]
Bin: Who has a plan to work on the partially supported/unsupported sections?
14:18:48 [cpn]
Paul: For the specific APIs just mentioned, should we pass our requirements to the Media Stream recording API?
14:19:53 [cpn]
Bin: So we should do a gap analysis on the Media Stream Recording API to see how well it supports our requirements
14:21:23 [cpn]
Paul: The requirement for series recording implies there's a cron-type scheduler running
14:22:11 [cpn]
Alex: This is meant to allow recording of an entire series containing an episode. This could be done through the EPG
14:22:33 [kaz]
i|So we should|-> http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-mediacapture-streams-20150212/ Media Capture and Streams|
14:22:37 [kaz]
rrsagent, draft minutes
14:22:37 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html kaz
14:23:17 [cpn]
Paul: I think it could be done within the API or it could be at the application-level
14:24:05 [cpn]
... the requirement implies we can give an identifier to the system e.g., a TV-Anytime series id and have it automatically record
14:24:34 [cpn]
Alex: I would prefer to see this at the application level
14:25:21 [cpn]
Paul: In that case we could remove the recording.series requirement
14:27:22 [cpn]
... Could we modify the requirement, to split it between application and system level
14:28:01 [ddavis]
cpn: If one of our feature goals is feature parity with OIPF then that's where it's come from.
14:28:14 [ddavis]
cpn: If we can make it from the application layer that would be good.
14:28:36 [ddavis]
cpn: Complete but minimal would be good in my API - we don't need to bake all these features into the API itself.
14:28:43 [kaz]
i/If one of our/scribenick: ddavis/
14:30:20 [cpn]
Bin: I suggest asking this question on the mailing list, and take a decision on this requirement on the next call
14:30:46 [kaz]
i/I suggest/scribenick: cpn/
14:31:14 [cpn]
Action: Alex to email the mailing list regarding the recording.series requirement and proposed solutions
14:31:14 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-23 - Email the mailing list regarding the recording.series requirement and proposed solutions [on Alexander Futász - due 2015-02-24].
14:32:57 [cpn]
Action: Paul to look at the Media Capture and Streams API and compare against our recording and timeshifting requirements
14:32:57 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-24 - Look at the media capture and streams api and compare against our recording and timeshifting requirements [on Paul Higgs - due 2015-02-24].
14:33:24 [kaz]
action-24 due march 10
14:33:24 [trackbot]
Set action-24 Look at the media capture and streams api and compare against our recording and timeshifting requirements due date to 2015-03-10.
14:34:06 [cpn]
Paul: It may be that the time shifting requirements could be handled by the HTML video element
14:34:34 [cpn]
Paul: I'll just look at the recording aspect, and leave timeshifting for now
14:34:55 [kaz]
action-24 due april 14
14:34:55 [trackbot]
Set action-24 Look at the media capture and streams api and compare against our recording and timeshifting requirements due date to 2015-04-14.
14:36:23 [cpn]
Action: Chris to look at the timeshifting requirements and the HTML video element
14:36:23 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-25 - Look at the timeshifting requirements and the html video element [on Chris Needham - due 2015-02-24].
14:36:41 [kaz]
action-25 due march 17
14:36:41 [trackbot]
Set action-25 Look at the timeshifting requirements and the html video element due date to 2015-03-17.
14:37:27 [cpn]
Bin: Regarding the emergency alert requirements, are these supported?
14:38:10 [kaz]
q+
14:38:52 [cpn]
Daniel: There's an isEmergency flag on the Channel object
14:39:17 [cpn]
Alex: This doesn't cover the notification requirement we have
14:39:43 [cpn]
s/This doesn't/The API doesn't/
14:40:16 [cpn]
Paul: The channel emergency flag likely means the user can't tune to the channel
14:41:08 [cpn]
... There are different ways of handling alerts in different countries
14:42:21 [cpn]
Bin: In the Mozilla case, the end user can't choose the emergency channel, but whenever content is available there it should be surfaced to the user
14:42:50 [cpn]
Paul: This requires a dedicated tuner, in case something appears
14:43:48 [kaz]
q?
14:43:58 [cpn]
Bin: So the emergency alert is only partially supported
14:44:36 [kaz]
-> http://www.w3.org/community/websignage/wiki/Web-based_Signage_Player_Emergency_Profile emergency requirements
14:44:50 [cpn]
Kaz: The Web Signage group has created a requirements document
14:45:13 [kaz]
s/document/document on emergency use cases/
14:45:59 [cpn]
Sung Hi: This work isn't active at the moment. For major emergencies we would use the whole signage system
14:46:10 [kaz]
s/Sung Hi/Sung-Hei/
14:46:25 [Paul_Higgs]
in the US: https://www.fema.gov/emergency-alert-system
14:47:05 [cpn]
Bin: We should revise the specification
14:47:30 [cpn]
Action: Bin to contact Sean and add emergency alert requirements to the spec
14:47:30 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-26 - Contact sean and add emergency alert requirements to the spec [on Bin Hu - due 2015-02-24].
14:48:59 [cpn]
Kaz: We should also consider if we need a server push mechanism
14:49:11 [cpn]
Bin: The Web Apps group has defined a server push API
14:49:39 [ddavis]
http://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/ -> Push API
14:49:44 [kaz]
s/mechanism/mechanism, because in that case we need to think about security as well/
14:49:52 [cpn]
Paul: We'll need to see whether an IP based emergency notification is permitted
14:50:25 [ddavis]
Chair: Bin
14:50:39 [kaz]
rrsagent, draft minutes
14:50:39 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/17-tvapi-minutes.html kaz
14:51:23 [cpn]
Bin: I think the focus for us is to surface the notifications from the platform. We're not defining the entire alerting platform here
14:52:02 [cpn]
... Each country has its own regulations for emergency systems
14:52:44 [cpn]
Paul: So we define how to surface the notifications to the application layer, but not specify how even should be handled at that level
14:52:56 [cpn]
Bin: Yes, i agree
14:55:11 [cpn]
Bin: Next requirement to look at is the Conditional Access System
14:56:04 [cpn]
Daniel: This is unsupported at present. Should we leave these and come back to them later?
14:57:08 [cpn]
Bin: If we don't have anyone to work on these, they can be left, possibly for a future revision of the API
14:57:55 [kaz]
action: bin to work on triggered interactive overlay requirements
14:57:55 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-27 - Work on triggered interactive overlay requirements [on Bin Hu - due 2015-02-24].
14:58:51 [kaz]
q+
14:59:39 [cpn]
Bin: We should aim to complete the API requirements by June. Then we can decide whether to defer anything remaining to a future revision
14:59:53 [cpn]
Kaz: Is there a face to face meeting of the TV API CG planned?
15:00:48 [cpn]
Bin: I would only be able to attend if its in the Bay Area
15:01:34 [cpn]
... we could have our next meeting colocated with the next Web and TV group meeting
15:02:17 [Zakim]
-Paul_Higgs
15:02:25 [cpn]
Kaz: I'll let the group know when we have more details
15:02:32 [Paul_Higgs]
sorry - have to drop off
15:02:44 [kaz]
[ adjourned ]
15:02:45 [Zakim]
-skim13
15:02:46 [Zakim]
-alex
15:02:46 [Zakim]
-Bin_Hu
15:02:48 [skim13]
skim13 has left #tvapi
15:02:48 [Zakim]
-ddavis
15:02:49 [kaz]
rrsagent, dtaft minutes
15:02:49 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'dtaft minutes', kaz. Try /msg RRSAgent help
15:02:55 [Zakim]
-Kazuyuki
15:02:57 [Zakim]
-Chris
15:02:58 [Zakim]
WEBT_TVAPICG()9:00AM has ended
15:02:58 [Zakim]
Attendees were Kazuyuki, Paul_Higgs, Bin_Hu, Chris, ddavis, skim13, alex
15:03:05 [kaz]
rrsagent, stop