IRC log of dpub on 2015-01-26

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:58:13 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #dpub
15:58:13 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2015/01/26-dpub-irc
15:58:15 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
15:58:15 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #dpub
15:58:17 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be dpub
15:58:17 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot, I see DPUB_DPUBIG()11:00AM already started
15:58:18 [trackbot]
Meeting: Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference
15:58:18 [trackbot]
Date: 26 January 2015
15:58:32 [tzviya]
tzviya has joined #dpub
15:58:50 [Zakim]
+[Safari]
15:59:02 [liza]
liza has joined #dpub
15:59:02 [brady_duga]
brady_duga has joined #dpub
15:59:06 [HeatherF]
HeatherF has joined #dpub
15:59:08 [Zakim]
+Markus
15:59:38 [Zakim]
+ +1.201.387.aaaa
15:59:42 [mgylling]
regrets: Phil, Deborah, Ivan, Luc
15:59:45 [tzviya]
zakim, aaaa is tzviya
15:59:47 [Zakim]
+tzviya; got it
15:59:59 [Zakim]
+??P17
16:00:10 [murakami]
zakim, ??P17 is me
16:00:10 [Zakim]
+murakami; got it
16:00:12 [pkra]
pkra has joined #dpub
16:00:27 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
16:00:38 [HeatherF]
zakim, IPcaller is me
16:00:38 [Zakim]
+HeatherF; got it
16:00:40 [Zakim]
+dauwhe
16:00:55 [HeatherF]
Ha! Figured out my first zakim instruction!
16:01:03 [Zakim]
+Stearns
16:01:14 [tzviya]
agenda
16:01:16 [Zakim]
+ +1.347.633.aabb
16:01:17 [tzviya]
* Approval of last week's minutes [1]
16:01:17 [tzviya]
* Use Cases for Houdini (Brady and Markus)
16:01:17 [tzviya]
* Introduce and review Packaging on the Web [2]
16:01:18 [Zakim]
+ +1.760.889.aacc
16:01:27 [Zakim]
+Bill_Kasdorf
16:01:28 [Zakim]
+pkra
16:01:28 [Zakim]
+??P31
16:01:34 [Julie]
Julie has joined #dpub
16:01:37 [kwkbtr]
Zakim, ??P31 is me
16:01:37 [Zakim]
+kwkbtr; got it
16:01:45 [Susann_Keohane]
Susann_Keohane has joined #dpub
16:01:54 [Bill_Kasdorf]
Bill_Kasdorf has joined #dpub
16:02:03 [brady_duga]
zakim, aacc is me
16:02:03 [Zakim]
+brady_duga; got it
16:02:16 [mgylling]
zakim, who is here?
16:02:16 [Zakim]
On the phone I see clapierre, MikeMiller, [Safari], Markus, tzviya, murakami, HeatherF, dauwhe, Stearns, +1.347.633.aabb, brady_duga, pkra, Bill_Kasdorf, kwkbtr
16:02:20 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Bill_Kasdorf, Susann_Keohane, Julie, pkra, HeatherF, brady_duga, liza, tzviya, Zakim, RRSAgent, murakami, tmichel, AH_Miller, clapierre1, kwkbtr, mgylling, Karen,
16:02:20 [Zakim]
... azaroth, dauwhe, mihnea_____, iank___, liam, astearns, dkaplan3, rego, plinss, trackbot
16:02:22 [TimCole]
TimCole has joined #dpub
16:02:58 [Zakim]
+ +1.512.596.aadd
16:03:02 [mgylling]
scribe: mgylling
16:03:10 [Zakim]
+TimCole
16:03:12 [ShaneM]
ShaneM has joined #dpub
16:03:28 [mgylling]
zakim, aabb is Julie
16:03:28 [Zakim]
+Julie; got it
16:03:36 [mgylling]
zakim, 512 is Suzanne
16:03:36 [Zakim]
sorry, mgylling, I do not recognize a party named '512'
16:03:41 [Zakim]
+??P38
16:03:44 [Susann_Keohane]
zakim, aadd is Susann_Keohane
16:03:44 [Zakim]
+Susann_Keohane; got it
16:03:48 [Zakim]
+ +1.201.783.aaee
16:04:03 [pbelfanti]
pbelfanti has joined #dpub
16:04:05 [david_stroup]
david_stroup has joined #dpub
16:04:09 [pkra1]
pkra1 has joined #dpub
16:04:11 [tzviya]
minutes http://www.w3.org/2015/01/05-dpub-minutes.html
16:04:14 [Vlad]
Vlad has joined #dpub
16:04:23 [Zakim]
+madi
16:04:23 [Zakim]
- +1.201.783.aaee
16:04:27 [mgylling]
Topic: approval of minutes from last week
16:04:27 [Zakim]
+azaroth
16:04:34 [mgylling]
Tzviya: minutes are approved
16:04:35 [liza]
YEAH MINUTES!!!
16:04:37 [pkra1]
those weren't last week's minutes?
16:04:37 [murakami]
http://www.w3.org/2015/01/12-dpub-minutes.html
16:04:38 [Vlad]
Sorry, I am on the IRC only today
16:04:43 [tzviya]
Use Cases for Houdini (Brady and Markus)
16:04:43 [mgylling]
Topic: use cases for Houdini
16:04:45 [dauwhe]
https://wiki.css-houdini.org/explaining-css-layout
16:04:49 [Zakim]
+ +1.201.783.aaff
16:05:02 [mgylling]
Tzviya: Brady and Markus has been working on these
16:05:13 [mgylling]
zakim, aaee is Paul
16:05:13 [Zakim]
sorry, mgylling, I do not recognize a party named 'aaee'
16:05:15 [Zakim]
+??P6
16:05:29 [tmichel]
zakim, ??P6 is me
16:05:29 [Zakim]
+tmichel; got it
16:05:34 [tzviya]
zakim, aaff is pbelfanti
16:05:34 [Zakim]
+pbelfanti; got it
16:05:40 [tmichel]
zakim, who is here?
16:05:40 [Zakim]
On the phone I see clapierre, MikeMiller, [Safari], Markus, tzviya, murakami, HeatherF, dauwhe, Stearns, Julie, brady_duga, pkra, Bill_Kasdorf, kwkbtr, Susann_Keohane, TimCole,
16:05:44 [Zakim]
... ??P38, madi, azaroth, pbelfanti, tmichel
16:05:45 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Vlad, pkra1, david_stroup, pbelfanti, ShaneM, TimCole, Bill_Kasdorf, Susann_Keohane, Julie, pkra, HeatherF, brady_duga, liza, tzviya, Zakim, RRSAgent, murakami,
16:05:45 [Zakim]
... tmichel, AH_Miller, clapierre1, kwkbtr, mgylling, Karen, azaroth, dauwhe, mihnea_____, iank___, liam, astearns, dkaplan3, rego, plinss, trackbot
16:05:45 [Zakim]
+ +1.585.217.aagg
16:05:49 [pbelfanti]
*Paul waves back to Karen :)
16:05:53 [mgylling]
Brady: the update is I am typing right now… Markus did contact me and mention that we need to have these ready
16:06:04 [david_stroup]
I'm 585.217
16:06:11 [mgylling]
… I am updating some of the requirements, adding a few more
16:06:23 [mgylling]
… and we need to pull out those relating to personalization
16:06:24 [tzviya]
q?
16:06:40 [mgylling]
… working on pending action items as well
16:07:26 [mgylling]
… still hasnt really been looked at by other implementors as far as I know, Markus have you contacted anyone?
16:07:47 [mgylling]
… I am concerned, we should vet it before exposing to CSSWG
16:07:53 [madi]
madi has joined #dpub
16:08:14 [mgylling]
Tzviya: there are some RS and browser that I could expose this to if you are interested
16:08:35 [bjdmeest]
bjdmeest has joined #dpub
16:08:35 [mgylling]
Brady: I think opening this up for comments to any implementor is fine
16:08:38 [pkra1]
+q
16:08:45 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
16:08:54 [bjdmeest]
zakim, IPCaller is me
16:08:55 [Zakim]
+bjdmeest; got it
16:09:12 [mgylling]
Brady: I will try and finish today, and then I’ll ping the list
16:09:17 [tzviya]
ack pkra
16:09:23 [bjdmeest]
Present+ Ben_De_Meester
16:09:57 [mgylling]
pkra: for us at MathJax it is very interesting, simply because polyfilling something as complex as MathML […], the MathML WG may be interested as well
16:10:17 [mgylling]
… re Houdini
16:10:30 [mgylling]
Brady: Houdini has a very broad interest base
16:11:16 [mgylling]
Tzviya: Brady, you said you’re working on the pagination AND personalization?
16:11:43 [dauwhe]
pkra: have you seen https://wiki.css-houdini.org/explaining-css-layout? Any ideas along these lines that would help with Math would be great.
16:11:51 [mgylling]
Brady: I am just moving the personalization stuff, not adding anything new
16:12:29 [mgylling]
Tzviya: we have persinalization use cases already… [scrolling] …. I think we need to clean that up and combine everything
16:12:40 [mgylling]
s/persin/person/
16:13:02 [mgylling]
… Markus and I agree to take a look at this re cleanup, anyone want to help?
16:13:10 [mgylling]
Liza: I can do it
16:13:34 [astearns]
inasmuch as Houdini may need new hooks for runtime style modifications, it may open new avenues for personalization
16:13:39 [tzviya]
q?
16:13:41 [mgylling]
Tzviya: we should have something to present by early next week
16:14:03 [mgylling]
dauwhe: posted a link to part of the wiki mostly for techie people
16:14:13 [mgylling]
… I have a tiny wishlist for DPUB at the bottom
16:14:19 [tzviya]
https://wiki.css-houdini.org/explaining-css-layout
16:14:32 [murakami]
Printing is also usecase of Houdini.
16:14:37 [tzviya]
http://w3ctag.github.io/packaging-on-the-web/
16:14:41 [mgylling]
Topic: packaging on the web document
16:16:44 [tzviya]
markus: we are looking for a review of the packaging for the web document
16:16:45 [mgylling]
q?
16:17:29 [tzviya]
... from the perspective of DPUB. It is an alrernative to zip and represents a proposal for multipart MIMI
16:17:39 [tzviya]
s/MIMI/MIME
16:18:13 [mgylling]
q?
16:18:17 [tzviya]
...IDPF did have a version of multipart MIME, and it would be interesting to see a comparison of these versions
16:19:25 [liza]
Skinnier jeans?
16:19:43 [tzviya]
brady: the IDPF multipart MIME from 1999 was rejected because people were interested only in zip
16:20:13 [tzviya]
...it's a little odd that this came out without consulting the digital publishing community and asking what was needed
16:20:22 [mgylling]
q?
16:20:28 [tzviya]
markus: perhaps now is the time for comments on ed draft
16:20:32 [tzviya]
q+
16:21:14 [tzviya]
markus: the idea of native support in browsers is important
16:21:18 [mgylling]
ack Tzviya
16:22:45 [dauwhe]
q+
16:22:52 [mgylling]
ack dauwhe
16:23:30 [tzviya]
tzviya: perhaps the reason that this is relevant now is that there is interest in publishing not just "content", but information beyond content
16:23:48 [tzviya]
...such as data-sets, excel files, programming code...
16:24:22 [tzviya]
...and, as people read on mobile devices, zip is not the simplest option
16:24:38 [tzviya]
...Proprietary options are becoming available
16:24:56 [tzviya]
dauwhe: I read the spec and concluded that I don't understand packaging
16:25:18 [tzviya]
q+
16:25:33 [mgylling]
ack Tzviya
16:26:13 [mgylling]
Tzviya: I also read through the spec, and was technically challenging… like with CFI, if there aren’t tools, it cant really take off
16:26:54 [mgylling]
Dave: helpful if there was a guide for background
16:27:08 [tzviya]
dauwhe: it would be helpful to understand why this is being done now and read some background material
16:27:32 [tzviya]
markus: it would be nice to have 1999 version available for background
16:27:58 [tzviya]
...the authors in 1999 probably had publishing in mind
16:28:05 [tzviya]
brady: I will send it out
16:28:28 [tzviya]
markus: we will do a coordinated IG response
16:29:22 [astearns]
I'll definitely review
16:29:30 [tzviya]
reviewers: brady, dave, tzviya, alan
16:30:26 [tzviya]
markus: 2 weeks from now, we will revisit Packaging for Web
16:30:34 [tzviya]
q?
16:30:43 [mgylling]
Scribe: Markus
16:31:12 [mgylling]
Heather: will review i18n documentation
16:31:30 [pkra1]
q+
16:31:34 [mgylling]
ack pkra
16:31:35 [tzviya]
ack pkra
16:32:13 [tzviya]
https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/64149/DPUB-STEM-2014-12/
16:32:14 [mgylling]
pkra: sent out an email with final draft of STEM survey, please take a look so that we rollout next month as planned
16:32:19 [pkra1]
thx
16:32:44 [HeatherF]
thanks
16:32:45 [Zakim]
-madi
16:32:46 [Zakim]
-azaroth
16:32:46 [Zakim]
-[Safari]
16:32:47 [Zakim]
-Markus
16:32:47 [Zakim]
-Bill_Kasdorf
16:32:49 [Zakim]
-brady_duga
16:32:49 [Zakim]
-Susann_Keohane
16:32:50 [mgylling]
rrsagent, make minutes
16:32:50 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/01/26-dpub-minutes.html mgylling
16:32:50 [Zakim]
-??P38
16:32:50 [Zakim]
-HeatherF
16:32:51 [Zakim]
-dauwhe
16:32:51 [Zakim]
-pkra
16:32:52 [Zakim]
-tzviya
16:32:52 [Zakim]
-Julie
16:32:52 [Zakim]
-clapierre
16:32:52 [Zakim]
- +1.585.217.aagg
16:32:54 [Zakim]
-MikeMiller
16:32:54 [Zakim]
-bjdmeest
16:32:54 [Zakim]
-TimCole
16:32:54 [Zakim]
-Stearns
16:32:55 [clapierre1]
clapierre1 has left #dpub
16:32:56 [Zakim]
-murakami
16:33:00 [Zakim]
-pbelfanti
16:33:01 [Zakim]
-kwkbtr
16:51:01 [dauwhe]
good luck with snowpocalpyzillageddon all you east coast folks!
16:59:39 [dauwhe]
dauwhe has joined #dpub
17:05:00 [Zakim]
disconnecting the lone participant, tmichel, in DPUB_DPUBIG()11:00AM
17:05:02 [Zakim]
DPUB_DPUBIG()11:00AM has ended
17:05:02 [Zakim]
Attendees were clapierre, MikeMiller, [Safari], Markus, +1.201.387.aaaa, tzviya, murakami, HeatherF, dauwhe, Stearns, +1.347.633.aabb, +1.760.889.aacc, Bill_Kasdorf, pkra, kwkbtr,
17:05:03 [Zakim]
... brady_duga, +1.512.596.aadd, TimCole, Julie, Susann_Keohane, +1.201.783.aaee, madi, azaroth, +1.201.783.aaff, tmichel, pbelfanti, +1.585.217.aagg, bjdmeest
17:28:50 [pkra]
pkra has joined #dpub
18:06:03 [mgylling]
mgylling has joined #dpub
18:34:38 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #dpub
19:14:24 [mgylling_]
mgylling_ has joined #dpub
19:19:53 [mgylling]
mgylling has joined #dpub
19:24:12 [iank___]
iank___ has joined #dpub
19:43:19 [dauwhe]
dauwhe has joined #dpub
19:48:23 [dauwhe]
dauwhe has joined #dpub
20:17:43 [mgylling]
mgylling has joined #dpub
20:27:57 [dauwhe_]
dauwhe_ has joined #dpub
21:12:53 [mgylling_]
mgylling_ has joined #dpub
21:34:07 [dauwhe]
dauwhe has joined #dpub
22:06:20 [dauwhe_]
dauwhe_ has joined #dpub
23:42:16 [dauwhe]
dauwhe has joined #dpub