W3C

- DRAFT -

TV API Community Group

25 Nov 2014

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
aldafu, Bin_Hu, cpn, kaz, Paul_Higgs, skim13, tidoust
Regrets
Chair
Bin Hu
Scribe
Chris

Contents


<cpn> Scribe: Chris

Review of action items

<inserted> Bin: no open actions

Discuss how to work out the draft of technical specification

<inserted> Requirements Mapping

<inserted> scribenick: cpn

Bin: we need to separate application from platform requirements,
... and the platform level requirements are not in scope
... Thanks to all who have added to the requirements mapping
... the question is now how to move forward with the specification

<inserted> scribenick: tidoust

Chris: wondering about the scope that we set. Since we started the group, the scope has expanded again, I think. I'm just wondering whether the focus that was set initially is the right one.

<inserted> scribenick: cpn

Bin: I suggest interested parties should drive the specification based on their priorities

<inserted> -> https

-> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17CdjSHe5crJGEX-7ig_g7VgIeXTzXL5F0Yqydk9chwk/edit#gid=1 Media API requirements/gap analysis

Chris: the initial gap analysis identified 3 initial gaps: tuner control, channel identification, and media protection

Bin: refers also to the group charter
... to be practical, we can use a contribution driven method to prioritise the requirements we've collected

Alex: I agree with this, but if we were to take an existing spec, eg, the Mozilla API, it may not match our requirements, but this may be a good start as a draft
... we could adapt this spec to our requirements, but with their agreement

Paul: why use the Mozilla API, as this isn't implemented by industry at large?

Bin: If we base our spec on something already widely implemented, this will be more easily adopted

Paul: we may be looking at things from different perspectives
... each TV manufacturer has its own APIs, but they're all slightly different, so a new spec has the potential to create more confusion
... can we produce a spec (for example) for triggered interactive overlays that could be used by these other specs?

Bin: that would have to come from contributions to the spec

Paul: a lot of the requirements are covered by the proprietary specs

<tidoust> scribenick: tidoust

Chris: Feedback from Giuseppe and Mark at TPAC was to take a Web-centric approach. Suggestion was to start from HTML5 video element and see how to build on top of that. Mark's comment was more not to expose the underlying broadcast-specific primitives such as frequencies.
... Wondering what that high-level approach might look like

Bin: Mozilla approach is indeed closer to Web technologies
... Very important to have a baseline submitted by someone to address additional details and comments

<cpn> scribenick: cpn

Alex: The Mozilla spec is the most recent, and seems to fit well with HTML5, using Promises etc, but it does expose some broadcast specific stuff, maybe the LG and Samsung APIs do better at hiding those details
... The OIPF DAE is one of the oldest APIs, and uses custom HTML tags and attributes

Paul: The DAE is dominant, so would be hard to replace

Bin: So let's look at the Mozilla API as our basis

<scribe> ACTION: Bin to contact Mozilla to see if they will contribute their API to the group [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/11/25-tvapi-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-19 - Contact mozilla to see if they will contribute their api to the group [on Bin Hu - due 2014-12-02].

Alex: I was an editor of the Webinos specification
... Mozilla's involvement in the CG has reduced since Gene left

Bin: we have a vacant editor position because of that

<scribe> ACTION: Bin to contact Mozilla to ask if someone there wants to become an editor of the spec [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/11/25-tvapi-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-20 - Contact mozilla to ask if someone there wants to become an editor of the spec [on Bin Hu - due 2014-12-02].

Next meeting

Bin: the next meeting is scheduled for December 23rd. I suggest cancelling this due to the holidays, and have the next call on Jan 20th

AOB

Paul: we could also contact HbbTV/OIPF about contributing their spec

<scribe> ACTION: Bin to contact HbbTV regarding their specification [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/11/25-tvapi-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-21 - Contact hbbtv regarding their specification [on Bin Hu - due 2014-12-02].

Bin: Thank you everybody, and have a good holiday season

<kaz> [ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Bin to contact HbbTV regarding their specification [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/11/25-tvapi-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Bin to contact Mozilla to ask if someone there wants to become an editor of the spec [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/11/25-tvapi-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Bin to contact Mozilla to see if they will contribute their API to the group [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/11/25-tvapi-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-11-25 14:49:48 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: i/we need/topic:  Discuss how to work out the draft of technical specification
Succeeded: i|we need to|-> http://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/wiki/Main_Page/Requirements_Mapping Requirements Mapping
Succeeded: i/how to work/Bin: no open actions
Succeeded: i/wondering about/scribenick: tidoust
Succeeded: i|https|-> https
Succeeded: s|https|-> https|
Succeeded: s|gid=1|gid=1 Media API requirements/gap analysis|
Succeeded: i/I suggest/scribenick: cpn
Succeeded: i/we need to separate/scribenick: cpn
Succeeded: s/by industry?/by industry at large?/
Succeeded: s/Alex: .../Alex:/
Succeeded: s/OIPF/OIPF DAE/
Succeeded: s/recently/since Gene left/
Found Scribe: Chris
WARNING: No scribe lines found matching ScribeNick pattern: <Chris> ...
Found ScribeNick: cpn
Found ScribeNick: tidoust
Found ScribeNick: cpn
Found ScribeNick: tidoust
Found ScribeNick: cpn
ScribeNicks: cpn, tidoust
Default Present: +1.650.946.aaaa, +44.303.040.aabb, Paul_Higgs, +49.303.aacc, Kazuyuki, aldafu, cpn, tidoust, skim13
Present: aldafu Bin_Hu cpn kaz Paul_Higgs skim13 tidoust
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tvapi/2014Nov/0001.html
Got date from IRC log name: 25 Nov 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/11/25-tvapi-minutes.html
People with action items: bin

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]