W3C

Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

16 Jul 2014

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Shadi, Bim, Peter_Thiessen, Yehya, christos, Vivienne
Regrets
Simon, Giorgio, David, Silvia, Markel
Chair
Shadi
Scribe
Peter

Contents


TPAC representation

shadi: TPAC is a standing question. We've talked about this before - the W3C technical planery
... we hope to make this a big event - anniversaries etc.

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/

shadi: we could have a face to face meeting if enough attendees
... would also be good to meet other groups and request joint meetings
... will any on the call be able to make it this year to TPAC

yehya: I may be attending

shadi: do you have other meetings planned?

yehya: will be available for a face to face meeting

shadi: others?

(sadly I won't be able to make it)

vivienne: I'll be there and available for a face to face meeting

christos: won't be able to make it

shadi: We'll take this to the email list

Note Edit Status: User Modeling

chistos: I am working on it (user modeling) - hopefully next week we'll have an update

Symposium Status: Way-Finding CFP

<Vivienne> https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Way-finding_systems

vivien: it is in there now
... the way finding system into the symposium topics
... formatted the template..sent an email to the group for input
... received some input form Yehya on definitions
... I'll add the feedback from Yehya
... trying to find a way to integrate the topic into web based topics more

shadi: thanks for working on this and moving it forward
... some of the issues are the wiki
... when you plugged in the text you lost the heading structure and that needs to be updated

vivienne: haven't had a chance to update the formatting

shadi: our wiki should accept html/markdown/
... when logged in it should display an edit link

vivenne: it doesn't have anything for heading coding or new lines
... so I need to learn the symbols etc

shadi: you can use HTML if that's more familiar

<christos> +q

<christos> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Accessibility_of_way-finding_systems

christos: I am looking at an older version I think - just to sync?

shadi: the issue is that you created a new page

vivienne: I had to create a new page to put it into the symposium format
... it was in the catalog entry and I couldn't find a way to change from symposium to catalog entry

shadi: if you got to the wiki main page and then their is under the heading navigation, 5th item, step by step.. and under that item 7, and a template for the symposium etc.

vivienne: that is different - their is another template under top..

shadi: you've put in a new wiki page, the information - I'd use that to update the existing wiki entry that we already have (see link from Christos)
... this will continue to work as our scratchpad (TM)
... the call for paper is going to have a short timeline, only a page to draft the symposium pages, and then it will become obsolete
... rather than delete you could just rename the new page
... we have two templates: i. overview page, ii.actual call for papers
... I'm ok with putting both templates into one page as well

<shadi> The key sections are:

<shadi> - Introduction (repeated on both pages);

<shadi> - Background (on Overview page);

<shadi> - Objectives (on Overview page);

<shadi> - Important Dates (on Call for Papers);

<shadi> - Scope (on Call for Papers);

<shadi> - Contributions (on Call for Papers).

<shadi> The other sections are rather administrative and can be added by me. Feel free to put all these sections on one wiki page that we can work on together with the group.

shadi: this is the listing of the important sections
... I'm happy if you'd like to combine these into one page for rough working
... then I can separate them later
... it is important that the background and objectives are very specific to topics
... the metrics symposium is a good example of this
... the background section discusses the symposium and then links back to the wiki for more background
... I am open to suggestions for improving the instructions

vivienne: I was confused between the symposium and catalog entry

shadi: he meant to take it from step 1 to 7
... /he/simon/
... I would like to think about the content of the symposium
..judi: was saying to focus on Web and not web of things though this was not clear
... we want to make it from the title more web related

vivienne: yes it probably wasn't very clear - web of things, wayfinding and related topics

shadi: there are some w3c overhead signage, location based services..
..sidenote: the term geospatial may now be spatial

christos: the topic web - we can relate that to web of things but the other, wayfinding and web of things can be linked to the web - as well as open data and linked data schemes..

shadi: it is listed on the wiki page
... the issue with this topic is that it covers so many areas and could get out of hand
... what is at the end of the symposium that we want to come out with?

vivienne: how can wafinding systems integrate into the..
... how accessible can they be and how integrate into the ?web? environment

shadi: wouldn't the answer be using web technologies

vivieen: not a lot of research into wayfinding systems and how they benefit people with disabilities

shadi: I don't want to put you on the spot
... so let's bring this question to the group

shadi: how accessible they are and also how they can be constructed to meet the needs of people with disabilities
... two different things

christos: one thing is how they did the systems, and the other is how can this system be useful for people with disabilities
... I don't know if this would be better as two different symposiums
... though I think they can be combined

shadi: we are still at a formation stage for the symposium
... I like this angle and to my knowledge there is a lot of work on mobile based applications to orient users with accessible paths
... I've also seen projects more about haptics, like accessible maps with spatial information that is accessible
... those things designed for people with disabilities

shadi: another class that is coming quickly I think is, things like airport apps that are not designed for accessibility
... this is a brainstorming session - if you think of any other applications in scope, how do we drive that forward research wise

christos: ..how can the information in technologies be combined like navigation and inter-navigation
... this is frustrating for users, to have multiple applications
... how can web be used to provide a common infrastructure that can combine multiple technologies

shadi: good point, that system would be the web :)
... so what I think what you're going into linked open data
... some of the examples are on the wiki page

christos: if you get the right data, or how accessible is a cafe or my favorite pizza place, then you can combine all this information in an open link scheme
... in order to have an application being developed on that

shadi: are we looking at vocabularies? or open link data?

christos: I have developed one of these applications and from my research, applications use their own vocabulary
... no common scheme, if I can say so, so everybody can plug into that

shadi: so one goal of the work shop *could be* to look at exactly that
... what kind of data formats and vocabularies exist and what are ways forward for the research community to pick this up
... the taxonomi may exist in iso but the question is has anybody mapped that into an RDF format for example
... so we could look at the vocabulary to provide accessibility in an open format
... do other's have thoughts?

bim: one of things that I've always wanted help with and their has been some non web technologies that tried to achieve this
... where lamp posts for example would describe the surrounding world
... it was very embarrassing because it spoke very loudly
... I wonder if it's time to start pushing some of these things into single apps that are responive
... so wherever you have data available about the environment ie. what bus is next, that could all be done over the web and picked up from people's smart phones

vivienne: that is something that the ?apple eye beacon? is attempting to do
... it's accurate to within mm and it can tell you about your environment
... what I haven't seen is how accessible that is for ie. low vision

bim: that is why I was calling for a single app

shadi: two key aspects of accessibility here: i. the user interface accessibility and ii. how well it understands the user needs
... a lot of the research projects I've seen has been focusing on trying to find out user needs
... this could be another item in the symposium - to look at existing research on user needs and preferences
... one of things that we can look at is gathering some of the existing research
... and the way forward is to try to build stock on this and avoid re-inventing the wheel

christos: I think this issue of user needs is an extension of vocaluaries

shadi: it is in a way
... if you need your information in a certain way, ie. the description of how many meteres to go forward, if the vocabulary doesn't provide that data then it cannot meet the user needs
... what I was thinking more about is how to collect the user needs and preferences

<Vivienne> could we get info from GPII as they are working with user profiles?

christos: this links very much with the user modelling
... the user needs discussion is maybe part of the user modelling

shadi: correct me if I'm wrong is that once you understand the user needs and preferences and then model it
... what I mean more is preference like does the user want to hear beeping when approaching a door

christos: yes it's similar but if we describe the user couldn't we automatically combine that and get the user needs
... we can have that as a point in the objectives

shadi: I would rather not broaden the topic
... ie. as you near a door a beep would become later.. some people prefer this while while other's find it bothersome
... it will depend on so many factors
... so what we're talking about here is more the user needs and not the models

christos: more about the user adaptation preferences

shadi: I think we're going to need to continue this next week
... so many factors of this - this was just an initial dump - the user needs I'm not sure how much that relates to Web

:)

vivienne: if anyone wants to tidy up the wiki and get the basic structure for the symposium call and the ideas from shadi into the catalog

christos: I can draft out the objectives and template for symposium and CFP and provide some background

shadi: and don't forget the user modeling draft

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-07-22 14:26:28 $