IRC log of chairing on 2014-04-24

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:50:27 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #chairing
13:50:27 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2014/04/24-chairing-irc
13:50:37 [Ralph]
rrsagent, please make record public
13:50:55 [Ralph]
Meeting: Chair Training Module 2: Tools
13:51:08 [dveditz]
dveditz has joined #chairing
13:53:22 [nigel]
nigel has joined #chairing
13:54:34 [Zakim]
Team_ChTr(TOOLS)10:00AM has now started
13:54:41 [Zakim]
+Ralph
13:55:53 [acoleman]
acoleman has joined #chairing
13:56:24 [Zakim]
+Jeff
13:56:26 [Zakim]
+??P4
13:56:46 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
13:56:47 [Lisa_Seeman]
Lisa_Seeman has joined #chairing
13:56:59 [Joshue]
zakim, [IPcaller] is Joshue
13:56:59 [Zakim]
+Joshue; got it
13:57:06 [Joshue]
zakim, mute me
13:57:06 [Zakim]
Joshue should now be muted
13:57:10 [Zakim]
+ +1.617.299.aaaa
13:57:31 [Lisa_Seeman]
zakim, mute me
13:57:31 [Zakim]
sorry, Lisa_Seeman, I do not know which phone connection belongs to you
13:57:54 [Ralph]
zakim, lisa is Lisa_Seeman
13:57:54 [Zakim]
+Lisa_Seeman; got it
13:57:58 [Lisa_Seeman]
zakim, mute me
13:57:58 [Zakim]
Lisa_Seeman should now be muted
13:58:15 [Ralph]
zakim, aaaa is ScottP
13:58:15 [Zakim]
+ScottP; got it
13:58:28 [jeff]
jeff has joined #chairing
13:59:48 [christine]
christine has joined #chairing
14:00:17 [Zakim]
+shawn
14:00:37 [Vlad]
Vlad has joined #chairing
14:00:37 [scottp]
scottp has joined #chairing
14:01:05 [Arnaud1]
Arnaud1 has joined #chairing
14:01:12 [gmandyam]
gmandyam has joined #chairing
14:01:16 [Ralph]
[gold stars for the five who arrived on time]
14:01:27 [Zakim]
+Andy_Coleman
14:01:35 [Zakim]
+Vlad
14:01:41 [Zakim]
+ +1.908.559.aabb
14:01:45 [Zakim]
+Arnaud
14:01:46 [Zakim]
+gmandyam
14:01:50 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
14:01:51 [Zakim]
+AWK
14:02:00 [christine]
Zakim, IP caller is me
14:02:00 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'IP caller is me', christine
14:02:06 [yosuke]
yosuke has joined #chairing
14:02:09 [christine]
Zakim, IPcaller is me
14:02:09 [Zakim]
+christine; got it
14:02:13 [AWK]
AWK has joined #chairing
14:02:14 [gmandyam]
Giri Mandyam from Qualcomm Innovation Center dialing in
14:02:15 [Zakim]
+SteveZ
14:02:16 [shawn]
zakim, mute me
14:02:16 [Zakim]
shawn should now be muted
14:02:52 [wseltzer]
wseltzer has joined #chairing
14:03:08 [wseltzer]
zakim, code?
14:03:08 [Zakim]
the conference code is 24872 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 sip:zakim@voip.w3.org), wseltzer
14:03:17 [dan]
dan has joined #chairing
14:03:26 [SteveZ]
SteveZ has joined #chairing
14:03:32 [Sharron]
Sharron has joined #chairing
14:03:52 [srush]
srush has joined #chairing
14:03:53 [Zakim]
+Wendy
14:04:19 [wseltzer]
scribenick: wseltzer
14:04:21 [Ralph]
-> http://www.w3.org/2014/Talks/0423-tools-rrs/ Tools for W3C Groups
14:04:24 [Zakim]
+dveditz
14:04:46 [wseltzer]
Ralph: This session is part 2 of a 4-part series
14:04:54 [wseltzer]
... training for W3C group chairs
14:05:00 [Zakim]
+??P28
14:05:08 [wseltzer]
... Next 2 sessions will cover facilitation topics
14:05:11 [wseltzer]
[slide2]
14:05:22 [wseltzer]
... This session is being recorded.
14:05:24 [Zakim]
+ +1.818.434.aacc
14:05:48 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
14:05:56 [wseltzer]
... Slides are publicly accessible; we expect to make the minutes available.
14:06:10 [wseltzer]
... Also audio, if of sufficient quality. Transcript, someday.
14:06:16 [wseltzer]
[slide3]
14:06:31 [wseltzer]
s/... This/Ralph: This/
14:08:13 [Sharron]
zakim, ??P28 is me
14:08:13 [Zakim]
+Sharron; got it
14:08:14 [wseltzer]
Ralph: every categorization scheme needs a miscellaneous topic. Hence, "other tasks"
14:08:45 [wseltzer]
... I'll try to listen to questions, will likely defer response
14:08:48 [wseltzer]
[slide4]
14:09:30 [wseltzer]
Ralph: Use your favorite text-editing or markup-editing tool
14:10:16 [wseltzer]
... many new team members use BlueGriffon
14:10:34 [wseltzer]
... but any markup editor of your/your document editor's choice is fine with us.
14:10:43 [wseltzer]
... How to get content onto the W3C site? several ways.
14:11:04 [wseltzer]
... We support WebDAV
14:11:32 [wseltzer]
... The entire W3C website (minus wikis and blogs) is maintained in CVS
14:11:50 [wseltzer]
... Direct HTTP write access
14:12:24 [wseltzer]
... We support Mercurial repos, git
14:13:02 [wseltzer]
... Access control supports all the previous items.
14:13:21 [wseltzer]
... Amaya, mentioned for historical reasons. Web browser that supported editing.
14:13:43 [wseltzer]
... Unfortunately, it is no longer actively maintained.
14:14:17 [wseltzer]
[slide5]
14:14:45 [wseltzer]
Ralph: WebDAV, linked a guide, invite updates.
14:15:22 [wseltzer]
... One feature of WebDAV in many OSes is a standard file-system view
14:16:10 [wseltzer]
... Take care. It's folder-oriented and easy to delete what you want or don't mean to delete.
14:16:41 [wseltzer]
... Save-as looks like local.
14:16:55 [wseltzer]
... Most general and simplest format for arbirtrary text markup editors.
14:16:59 [wseltzer]
[slide6]
14:17:33 [wseltzer]
Ralph: CVS is what we use. Other things are interfaces on top of CVS store
14:17:49 [wseltzer]
-> https://www.w3.org/Project/CVSdoc/ CVS at W3C
14:18:55 [wseltzer]
Ralph: conceptual differences between git and cvs are small, though UI differences are lareger
14:19:01 [wseltzer]
s/lareger/larger/
14:19:16 [wseltzer]
[slide7]
14:19:34 [wseltzer]
Ralph: HTTP PUT has been specified since day 0.
14:20:26 [wseltzer]
... edit.w3.org is the service that provides HTTP PUT
14:21:22 [wseltzer]
... I go through this in detail because one of your responsibilities as a chair is to provide and maintain group homepages, with information about what your group is doing.
14:21:29 [wseltzer]
[slide8]
14:21:59 [wseltzer]
Ralph: As CVS was aging, we looked around, and at that time, Mercurial (hg) was nominated.
14:22:46 [wseltzer]
... dvcs.w3.org is our w3c-hosted hg instance
14:23:20 [wseltzer]
... We expect to provide persistence for the mercurial store as we do for the rest of our site
14:24:10 [wseltzer]
... Developers who are both writing code and participating as editors will tend to have tool preferences
14:24:22 [wseltzer]
... We're still working on how best to integrate git and github
14:24:29 [wseltzer]
... with the w3.org site.
14:24:49 [wseltzer]
[slide9]
14:25:06 [wseltzer]
Ralph: Underlying fine-grained access control mechanism
14:25:47 [wseltzer]
... Unlike many webservers, where ACLs are per-directory, W3C site has per-resource ACLs
14:26:21 [wseltzer]
... "Date space" (whether fondly or less fondly called) /YYYY/MM/
14:26:30 [wseltzer]
... all under fine-grained access-control
14:26:52 [wseltzer]
... Allows us to create a working group home under date space
14:26:59 [Zakim]
+Jim_Allan
14:27:03 [wseltzer]
... with write-access to any appropriate member of your WG
14:27:29 [wseltzer]
... you as chairs will have HTTP PUT access there
14:28:09 [allanj]
allanj has joined #chairing
14:28:36 [wseltzer]
... If you've created a group area and provided access to editors, there's also a tool allowing you to set default ACLs for new documents there
14:28:54 [wseltzer]
-> http://www.w3.org/2002/02/auto-acl Predefined ACLs
14:29:23 [wseltzer]
Ralph: That was the general description of how things get on the W3C website.
14:29:37 [wseltzer]
... Next, I'll talk more specifically about the technical report production workflow.
14:29:41 [wseltzer]
[slide10]
14:30:02 [wseltzer]
-> http://www.w3.org/2003/Editors/ W3C Editors' Home Page
14:30:38 [wseltzer]
Ralph: House style, not enforced except through pubrules
14:31:10 [wseltzer]
... Markup of specs, tool of choice seems to be ReSpec
14:31:57 [wseltzer]
... Tools to help with document revision process: htmldiff, spell checker
14:32:24 [wseltzer]
s/, spell checker/: inline annotation of html doc differences
14:32:42 [wseltzer]
... Services available on W3C site
14:32:50 [wseltzer]
... source is also available
14:33:19 [wseltzer]
... Spell checking; link-checking;
14:33:50 [wseltzer]
... Unicorn: markup validation tools.
14:34:39 [wseltzer]
... Pubrules checker is often-cursed
14:35:06 [wseltzer]
... but it's nonetheless important
14:35:31 [Zakim]
- +1.818.434.aacc
14:36:19 [wseltzer]
zakim, who is making noise?
14:36:30 [Zakim]
wseltzer, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: Ralph (25%), dveditz (46%)
14:36:47 [wseltzer]
[slide11]
14:37:04 [wseltzer]
Ralph: Respec.
14:37:45 [wseltzer]
... Puts in much of the boilerplate template
14:39:03 [wseltzer]
... As efforts to revise rec-track process or publishing format proceed,
14:39:14 [wseltzer]
... there may be more encouragement to use ReSpec
14:39:45 [wseltzer]
... I have heard strong suggestions that documents using ReSpec will be more flexible
14:40:20 [wseltzer]
... and extensible, because ReSpec captures metadata
14:40:50 [wseltzer]
... Start from a template
14:41:00 [wseltzer]
-> http://www.w3.org/respec/examples/template.html ReSpec template
14:41:05 [wseltzer]
[slide12]
14:41:29 [wseltzer]
Ralph: link checker, allows recursion
14:43:03 [wseltzer]
... ,checklink
14:43:55 [Zakim]
Not knowing who is chairing or who scribed recently, I propose +1.908.559.aabb
14:44:29 [wseltzer]
[slide13]
14:44:54 [wseltzer]
Ralph: Unicorn, a multiple markup validator.
14:45:05 [wseltzer]
... a required step in spec publication pipeline, pubrules
14:45:49 [wseltzer]
... Validator Suite offers recursive testing
14:46:12 [wseltzer]
... but you will be validating pages as you create them
14:46:26 [wseltzer]
[slide14]
14:46:55 [Zakim]
-Joshue
14:46:55 [wseltzer]
Ralph: pubrules checks for required header material
14:48:17 [wseltzer]
[slide15]
14:48:28 [wseltzer]
Ralph: tools for managing discussion
14:48:54 [wseltzer]
... primary tools: tracker, bugzilla, lc comments tracker
14:48:56 [Zakim]
+ +46.8.50.51.aadd
14:49:08 [wseltzer]
[slide16]
14:49:13 [wseltzer]
Ralph: We have a public bugzilla instance
14:50:00 [wseltzer]
... no requirement that you use bugzilla, but many find it useful, e.g. HTML WG
14:50:18 [hta]
hta has joined #chairing
14:50:56 [wseltzer]
... at major transition points, LC->CR, CR->PR, director will ask for verification that your group has responded to comments
14:51:27 [wseltzer]
... if you're using bugzilla to track comments, these scripts will help generate disposition of comments
14:51:55 [wseltzer]
... bugs2html bugzilla.xsl
14:53:52 [wseltzer]
[slide17]
14:55:06 [wseltzer]
Ralph: Last Call Comment Tracker, provides means to track comments, annotate, and reply
14:56:16 [wseltzer]
... use of the particular tool is optional, but producing the report is required
14:56:46 [wseltzer]
... Meeting management and recordkeeping
14:56:49 [dveditz]
[slide 18]
14:56:50 [wseltzer]
[slide18]
14:56:56 [wseltzer]
scribenick: dveditz
14:57:20 [dveditz]
tools: irc (e.g. this #chairing channel)
14:58:21 [dveditz]
... Zakim, name refers to two separate services (HW conf bridge, IRC agent)
14:58:45 [dveditz]
... RRSAgent is the tool for recording meetings
14:58:58 [dveditz]
... tracker is the tool for actions and issues
14:59:26 [dveditz]
... WBS, scribe.perl (HTML formatted meeting notes)
14:59:47 [Vlad]
Sorry, have to leave now
14:59:52 [Zakim]
-Vlad
14:59:57 [dveditz]
... link to Scribe 101 -- an introduction to how to run meetings and use these tools.
15:00:12 [Zakim]
-Wendy
15:00:25 [dveditz]
... last link is more information on using these tools
15:00:33 [dveditz]
[slide 19]
15:01:20 [dveditz]
... link to reserving a teleconference slot (bridge physical capacity is limited)
15:02:07 [dveditz]
... reserved via email messages, details at that link
15:02:56 [dveditz]
... Zakim commands are documented, managing the speaker queue and agenda can be done via zakim
15:03:43 [dveditz]
... several styles these tools can be used, link to a document with hints and kinks you might find yourself in. tricks on how to use Zakim for specific situations
15:03:47 [jeff]
jeff has joined #chairing
15:03:55 [dveditz]
... (please feel free to add your own tips to the wiki page)
15:04:31 [dan]
[slide 20]
15:04:41 [dveditz]
... many groups find the parts of zakim that manage speaker tools can be useful apart from the teleconferencing bridge, invite Zakim into your channel
15:04:50 [dveditz]
[slide 20]
15:05:08 [dveditz]
... RRSAgent can be invited into a channel as well
15:05:36 [dveditz]
... there's a timelag for RRSAgent, but if it's more than 2-3 minutes it's probably stuck. send a trouble report
15:06:00 [dveditz]
... both zakim and rrsagent need to be invited into your specific channel
15:06:11 [Zakim]
-Jeff
15:06:30 [dveditz]
... /invite rrsagent #chairing for example
15:06:40 [dveditz]
[slide 21]
15:06:43 [dveditz]
... tracker
15:07:08 [dveditz]
... has a config db and knows about regular channels and meetings
15:07:26 [dveditz]
... it will invite zakim and rrsagent for you and set up the mtg record
15:07:43 [dveditz]
... and format the meeting notes later
15:07:59 [dveditz]
... real use is to manage a db of action items, your group's issues, and track resolutions
15:08:19 [dveditz]
.... tracker itself is the latest in several variations on the same theme
15:08:32 [dveditz]
... tracker has been designed and tuned for the w3c community style
15:08:39 [dveditz]
... 3 interfaces
15:09:21 [dveditz]
... (links) trackbot irc interface (not present in this specific channel, but you're welcome to ask the systems team to set it up for your channel)
15:09:34 [dveditz]
... web interface to the tracker -- superset of the IRC interface
15:10:08 [dveditz]
... and an email interface to your WG's mailing list
15:10:31 [dveditz]
... tracker will identify msgs that refer to specific actions and include those messages in with the history of that action
15:10:58 [dveditz]
... depending on how good your group members are at including the magic keywords in the messages
15:11:29 [dveditz]
... best keeping messages about one issue in separate from messages abouot other issues.
15:11:44 [dveditz]
... if they're combined sometimes the same mail gets included into multiple issue records
15:12:28 [dveditz]
... traditionally tracker is configured to always be present on your channel, very convenient to ask about specific issues
15:12:35 [dveditz]
... when a mtg is in progress
15:13:08 [dveditz]
... when using bugzilla or LC tracker there's a tool for creating the Director's last call comments (record?)
15:13:33 [dveditz]
... DisCo: that script expects a specific style of comments (link in slide)
15:14:10 [dveditz]
... if you use tracker to track your last call comments that's a fine thing to do, but look at the documentation for DisCo so you know ahead of time what style comment the tool is looking for
15:14:16 [dveditz]
[slide 22]
15:14:35 [dveditz]
... these 3 tools can be a source of confusion for your members
15:15:07 [dveditz]
... for some need to address the bot directly ("Zakim, <dothis>" "trackbot, <dothis>)")
15:15:35 [dveditz]
... zakim does teleconferencing management
15:15:46 [dveditz]
... rrsagent is a record keeping function
15:16:11 [dveditz]
... trackbot interfaces with the actions and issues database.
15:16:34 [Zakim]
+??P17
15:16:45 [nigel]
zakim, ??P17 is me
15:16:45 [Zakim]
+nigel; got it
15:16:45 [dveditz]
... rrsagent has some recognition of issues and actions, trackbot recognizes the same things
15:16:51 [dveditz]
[slide 23]
15:17:03 [nigel]
zakim, mute me
15:17:03 [Zakim]
nigel should now be muted
15:17:09 [dveditz]
... web-based strawpoll info gathering tool
15:18:02 [dveditz]
... when creating a poll using WBS there are templates for common situations: teleconferencing scheduling, meeting times,
15:18:09 [dveditz]
... not a common place to find these
15:19:04 [dveditz]
... any questionnaire you find where you like its style you can grab a copy and adapt it to your needs
15:19:15 [dveditz]
... link at top of slide 23
15:19:25 [dveditz]
... to detailed documentation on WBS
15:20:05 [dveditz]
[slide 24]
15:20:13 [dveditz]
... last of the tools is scribe.perl
15:20:43 [dveditz]
... nrmally you don't see this directly, bundled in with rrsagent functionality usually
15:21:13 [dveditz]
... link to editing commands to making corrections to what the scribe has recorded
15:22:19 [dveditz]
... scribe.perl can be invoked independently of rrsagent -- useful if you need to generate minutes the day after the meeting (for example)
15:22:30 [dveditz]
... rrsagent wouldn't know the correct date at that point
15:22:47 [dveditz]
[slide 25]
15:22:54 [dveditz]
... "Other"...
15:23:30 [dveditz]
... needs it's own meeting: how do we test a specification. "Test the Web Forward"
15:23:55 [dveditz]
... repository hosted by W3C (thanks to Toby (?) for donating that to us)
15:24:27 [dveditz]
... contains a primer on getting started with git and github
15:24:58 [dveditz]
... if your group is using that and have some members that are unfamiliar with those tools
15:25:41 [dveditz]
... comments or questions about the the testing workflow the public-test-infra list is the best place
15:25:58 [dveditz]
... we use MediaWiki to manage all our wikis (public, group, private)
15:26:06 [dveditz]
... link to style hints and suggestions
15:26:50 [dveditz]
... our blogging environment is Wordpress -- link to how to request a blog for your WG if you want to use that
15:27:13 [dveditz]
... link to Slidy, a presentation tool (used in this presentation, for example)
15:27:35 [dveditz]
... I like Slidy, the format is HTML and that's a familiar environment for many
15:27:44 [dveditz]
[slide 27]
15:28:01 [dveditz]
... more information available on the w3 tools wiki
15:28:34 [dveditz]
... a little out of date, but still useful
15:28:52 [dveditz]
... I mentioned earlier re link-checker that there was a shortcut
15:29:11 [dveditz]
... add ",checklink" to end of URLs on w3.org
15:29:20 [dveditz]
... there are other "comma" tools
15:29:34 [dveditz]
oops, [slide 26], not 27
15:30:10 [dveditz]
... ",minutes", pretty print text ",text", ",validate" runs the validator
15:30:21 [dveditz]
... ",pubrules",
15:30:37 [dveditz]
... ",pubruleserrors" shows the errors generated
15:30:52 [dveditz]
... mailing list link for more questions on these tools
15:30:56 [dveditz]
[slide 27]
15:31:07 [dveditz]
... thanks to all for the development of the tools I've described here
15:31:36 [dveditz]
... please let us know your own favorite ways to work with or around these tools
15:31:48 [dveditz]
... and we'll add the best to the guidebook and the tools wiki
15:32:14 [dveditz]
I think I'm muted....
15:32:15 [Arnaud1]
+q
15:32:20 [Arnaud1]
zamik, unmute me
15:32:21 [shawn]
zakim, who is on the phone?
15:32:21 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Ralph, Lisa_Seeman (muted), ScottP, shawn (muted), Andy_Coleman, +1.908.559.aabb, Arnaud, gmandyam, christine, AWK, SteveZ, dveditz (muted), Sharron, yosuke,
15:32:24 [Zakim]
... Jim_Allan, +46.8.50.51.aadd, nigel (muted)
15:32:34 [AWK]
AWK has joined #chairing
15:33:04 [dveditz]
Arnaud: I find the last call tracker tool hard to use
15:33:29 [dveditz]
... hard to remember the arcane details
15:33:38 [AWK]
Agree re: comment tracker. The filtering mechanism is broken in unpredictable ways that make it difficult to rely on.
15:33:43 [dveditz]
... if you're looking for a tool that needs help I recommend this one
15:34:01 [dveditz]
Ralph: what's your favorite tool that you've used for things like this?
15:34:20 [dveditz]
Arnaud1: I've seen people use simple wiki pages, pretty bare but easier to use
15:34:40 [dveditz]
... the intention is good, but the implementation is not. If I had to do it again I'd do it by hand because at least you know exactly what's going on
15:35:05 [dveditz]
Ralph: I'm hearing that you struggle with LC tracker, and prefer to do it "by hand"
15:35:16 [dveditz]
... I don't know hen we'll have resources to revise any of these tools
15:35:21 [christine]
Thanks, and apologies. I need to leave the call.
15:35:23 [AWK]
q+ to ask who to notify about issues with tools
15:35:29 [Zakim]
-christine
15:35:42 [dveditz]
Arnaud1: the status is that this is not an officially supported tool but .... group used "comment-scribe"
15:35:55 [Ralph]
CommonScribe
15:36:03 [dveditz]
... will transform minutes into nicely formatted comments
15:36:36 [dveditz]
Ralph: thanks for mentioning CommonScribe... Sandra's done a nice job with it
15:36:57 [dveditz]
... most of these tools were developed by individuals trying to make a repetitive task they had to do easier
15:37:12 [dveditz]
.... everyone of these tools started as a midnight hack by some individual
15:37:46 [dveditz]
... CommonScribe is a very useful tool, hasn't yet made the transition from "Sandra's project" to officially supported by the systems team but I agree it's a nice tool
15:37:59 [Ralph]
s/Sandra/Sandro/
15:38:09 [dveditz]
... can't recommend it to other WG chairs who don't have the benefit of Sandra in your group to fix things when it goes wrong
15:38:29 [Zakim]
AWK, you wanted to ask who to notify about issues with tools
15:38:40 [dveditz]
Arnaud1: It's a good tool but I also would not recommend it to groups without Sandro present
15:38:56 [dveditz]
AWK: I like the tracker tool, we use it all the time, but aspects we can't use
15:39:26 [dveditz]
... when comments are sent to the list the tool offers the ability to import from a URL but it never works. who do we talk to about that?
15:39:48 [Ralph]
mailto:sysreq@w3.org for bugs
15:39:58 [dveditz]
Ralph: if you're having difficulty ith a documented feature that doesn't work send mail to sysreq@w3.org
15:40:16 [dveditz]
... I owuld characterize that as a bug and that's perfectly appropriate
15:40:34 [Ralph]
mailto:w3t-sys@w3.org for feature requests
15:40:43 [dveditz]
... feature requests can go to w3t-sys@w3.org
15:41:09 [Ralph]
mailto:w3c-tools@w3.org for dicussion
15:41:38 [dveditz]
... for collaboration on tool devleopment I recommend w3c-tools@w3.org I think that's an underutilized list for discussions about tools needs
15:41:59 [Arnaud1]
irc channel #sysreq works well when looking for quick remedies - like some system down
15:42:42 [dveditz]
... Arnaud1 commented in irc that there's also the #sysreq irc channel. no promises it's monitored 24/7 but it often is
15:43:17 [dveditz]
Arnaud1: I will add that even if you join and it looks like no one's there, the sysreq team has tools and will be notified when you post something there
15:44:06 [dveditz]
Ralph: thx for mentioning that. unlike most channels you won't necessarily see people just sitting there. When you type there it interrupts other channels the sysreq folks are watching
15:44:10 [dveditz]
... like a paging system
15:44:29 [dveditz]
... any other favorite tools you'd like to share
15:44:40 [Joshue]
Joshue has joined #chairing
15:44:58 [dveditz]
... I perhaps disparaged by omission many tools that have been used in the past or are still being used
15:45:20 [dveditz]
... In this presentation I chose the tools that are most commen and current best practices
15:45:27 [dveditz]
... but there are others that can be useful
15:45:39 [dveditz]
... thanks for expressing your interest by attending
15:46:09 [Zakim]
-AWK
15:46:10 [Zakim]
-shawn
15:46:11 [dveditz]
... stay safe out there with w3 tools, and please share your experiences with us so we can improve tools and future chairs can benefit from you
15:46:12 [Zakim]
- +1.908.559.aabb
15:46:12 [Zakim]
-gmandyam
15:46:13 [Lisa_Seeman]
[thanks to Ralph.. ]
15:46:14 [Zakim]
-Arnaud
15:46:15 [Zakim]
- +46.8.50.51.aadd
15:46:16 [Zakim]
-Andy_Coleman
15:46:17 [Zakim]
-nigel
15:46:19 [Zakim]
-Sharron
15:46:20 [Zakim]
-ScottP
15:46:21 [Zakim]
-yosuke
15:46:22 [shawn]
shawn has left #chairing
15:46:23 [Zakim]
-SteveZ
15:46:29 [Zakim]
-Lisa_Seeman
15:46:51 [Zakim]
-dveditz
15:46:54 [dveditz]
not sure what to do scribewise at this point...
15:46:56 [Zakim]
-Jim_Allan
15:47:20 [scottp]
scottp has left #chairing
15:47:25 [Ralph]
[no problem, dveditz ; I'll take it from here. Thanks very much for picking up the scribe task]
15:47:38 [dveditz]
I guess I should go read the link on the slides now :-)
15:47:48 [dveditz]
for next time
15:47:52 [Zakim]
-Ralph
15:47:57 [Ralph]
:)
15:48:02 [Zakim]
Team_ChTr(TOOLS)10:00AM has ended
15:48:03 [Zakim]
Attendees were Ralph, Jeff, Joshue, +1.617.299.aaaa, Lisa_Seeman, ScottP, shawn, Andy_Coleman, Vlad, +1.908.559.aabb, Arnaud, gmandyam, AWK, christine, SteveZ, Wendy, dveditz,
15:48:03 [Zakim]
... +1.818.434.aacc, yosuke, Sharron, Jim_Allan, +46.8.50.51.aadd, nigel
15:48:13 [Ralph]
[watch and learn, then :)]
15:48:20 [Ralph]
rrsagent, please draft minutes
15:48:20 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/04/24-chairing-minutes.html Ralph
15:48:52 [Ralph]
[that step takes a moment until the minutes are available]
15:48:58 [dveditz]
slick ... all my typos preserved forever :-)
15:49:03 [dveditz]
it's already there
15:49:09 [dveditz]
guess rssagent asn't that busy
15:49:29 [dveditz]
(gah, I really need to fix the sticky 'w' on this keyboard)
15:49:48 [dveditz]
thanks
15:49:53 [Ralph]
so, what's your least favorite typo?
15:50:28 [dveditz]
sorry I didn't know Sandro wasn't Sandra
15:50:33 [Ralph]
s/comment-scribe/CommonScribe/
15:50:38 [dveditz]
and that
15:50:43 [Ralph]
s/Sandra/Sandro/
15:51:06 [Ralph]
rrsagent, please draft minutes
15:51:06 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/04/24-chairing-minutes.html Ralph
15:51:16 [dveditz]
do those s/ editing commands actually change the minutes, or were those informational to me?
15:51:23 [Ralph]
they do change the minutes
15:51:42 [Ralph]
anyone in the channel can use them to help out the scribe
15:51:50 [dveditz]
ah handy
15:51:59 [Ralph]
very much so
15:52:43 [Ralph]
another oft-used trick: when the scribe has difficulty hearing or keeping up, use "@@" as a signal for "help, please"
15:53:09 [Ralph]
Ralph: Fred particularly likes @@
15:53:10 [Ralph]
...
15:53:43 [Ralph]
this is a hint to come back and fill in the @@ -- with s/@@/macaroni and cheese/
15:53:50 [dveditz]
so the minutes capture everything in the channel, not just what the scribe types
15:54:04 [Ralph]
almost everything
15:54:13 [Ralph]
see RRSAgent documentation
15:55:12 [dveditz]
yup, lots of links to read through
15:55:32 [Ralph]
most commands to Zakim are recorded in the raw typescript but then elided (by scribe.perl) from the minutes; e.g. "zakim, mute Alex"
15:55:52 [Ralph]
a lot you learn by example :)
15:55:54 [dveditz]
quite a good list, thanks for collecting it all. Those were all tools I've run into and didn't know who to control
15:56:16 [dveditz]
s/who/ho/
15:56:21 [dveditz]
how, dammit
15:56:25 [Ralph]
:)
15:56:36 [dveditz]
off to fry's for a keyboard I guess
15:56:45 [dveditz]
thanks!
15:56:51 [Ralph]
my favorite place :)
15:56:57 [dveditz]
dveditz has left #chairing
15:58:29 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #chairing
15:59:25 [jeff]
jeff has joined #chairing
16:08:04 [Sharron]
Sharron has left #chairing
16:15:08 [Ralph]
rrsagent, bye
16:15:08 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items