IRC log of ua on 2014-03-13

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:42:34 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #ua
16:42:34 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2014/03/13-ua-irc
16:42:36 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
16:42:36 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #ua
16:42:38 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be WAI_UAWG
16:42:38 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see WAI_UAWG()1:00PM scheduled to start in 18 minutes
16:42:39 [trackbot]
Meeting: User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference
16:42:39 [trackbot]
Date: 13 March 2014
16:59:04 [Zakim]
WAI_UAWG()1:00PM has now started
16:59:11 [Zakim]
+Jeanne
17:02:21 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
17:02:27 [Greg]
Greg has joined #ua
17:03:01 [Zakim]
+Greg_Lowney
17:03:35 [Zakim]
+Kim_Patch
17:03:38 [KimPatch]
KimPatch has joined #ua
17:05:56 [kford]
kford has joined #ua
17:06:43 [jeanne]
scribe: jeanne
17:07:44 [jeanne]
topic: Next meeting
17:08:30 [jeanne]
Jeanne & Jim will be at CSUN. Kim will be on vacation, so only Greg, Jan and Kelly are around.
17:08:30 [kford]
sorry for my delay.
17:08:45 [Greg]
Tomorrow is Pi Day, but don't forget http://www.moleday.org/ in October.
17:08:48 [jeanne]
topic: Math/science holidays
17:08:56 [kford]
zakim, agenda?
17:08:56 [Zakim]
I see nothing on the agenda
17:09:56 [kford]
agenda+ review comments
17:09:57 [jeanne]
Topic: Comment Responses
17:09:58 [kford]
comments document: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2014/LCcomments.html
17:11:00 [jeanne]
Jeanne updated the editors draft and LC comment spreadsheet with the actions from last week's meeting.
17:13:30 [kford]
rrsagent, make minutes
17:13:30 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/03/13-ua-minutes.html kford
17:13:41 [kford]
regrests: Jim
17:13:45 [kford]
regrets: Jim
17:15:56 [jeanne]
No meeting next week - 20 March 2014
17:16:17 [kford]
zakim, take up item 1
17:16:17 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "review comments" taken up [from kford]
17:17:17 [jeanne]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2014JanMar/0046.html
17:19:29 [jeanne]
topic: OP06 - Jan's proposal
17:19:39 [jeanne]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2014JanMar/0046.html
17:20:39 [kford]
JS reading JR's proposal
17:24:39 [jeanne]
GL: This lowers the bar to be non-existent - it uses "may".
17:24:57 [jeanne]
JS: Is this a problem? A video would not use those, they would use "scenes".
17:25:18 [jeanne]
JS: We should add scenes to the list of examples.
17:25:57 [Greg]
My preference would be "*should* include *recognized* headings, table captions...", but I can live with the proposed wording.
17:26:04 [jeanne]
action: Jeanne to update 1.9.1 to say: 1.9.1 Outline View: Users can view a navigable outline of the rendered content that allows focus to be moved to the corresponding element in the main viewport. (Level AA)
17:26:04 [jeanne]
- Note: The elements reflected in the outline view will depend on the web content technology and may include: headings, table captions, content sections, and scenes.
17:26:04 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-960 - Update 1.9.1 to say: 1.9.1 outline view: users can view a navigable outline of the rendered content that allows focus to be moved to the corresponding element in the main viewport. (level aa) [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2014-03-20].
17:26:44 [jeanne]
s/may include/can include
17:27:07 [kford]
rrsagent, make minutes
17:27:07 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/03/13-ua-minutes.html kford
17:27:39 [jeanne]
Resolution: Accept Jan's proposal for 1.9.1 with minor edits
17:28:04 [Zakim]
-[Microsoft]
17:30:49 [jeanne]
Topic: OP06 2.3.1 from Jan's Proposal
17:30:58 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
17:31:56 [jeanne]
JS: It's a big change from important elements to enabled elements. Since we are requiring direct navigation to each one, that's a LOT of keyboard shortcuts
17:32:11 [jeanne]
GL: That's the 'mouseless browsing" extension
17:32:40 [jeanne]
KP: but that works with links and not all enabled elements
17:34:36 [Greg]
We don't necessarily have a full implementation yet, one that goes to all enabled elements. Would not be that big a change for Mouseless Browsing to add that.
17:35:19 [Greg]
Kim says that it does support almost all enabled elements.
17:35:33 [jeanne]
KP: It should do anything you can click on.
17:35:52 [jeanne]
JS: I withdraw my objection.
17:36:08 [jeanne]
GL: So we have an implementation of this with enabled elements.
17:37:02 [jeanne]
KP: Mouseless browsing has been around for a long time with increasing coverage of "gaps". I haven't looked around in a long time.
17:37:33 [jeanne]
Jan's update: 2.3.1 Allow Direct Navigation to Enabled Elements: The user can move keyboard focus directly to any enabled elements in the rendered content. (Level AA)
17:39:04 [Greg]
Jeanne questioned move to "move keyboard focus to" on touchscreen devices, but we already require a virtual keyboard focus in those cases.
17:40:52 [Zakim]
-Jeanne
17:41:18 [Zakim]
+Jeanne
17:46:53 [jeanne]
GL: Link to the definition of keyboard focus which reminds them it is not just a physical keyboard.
17:49:33 [jeanne]
JS: There is a comment that says we are dated because we mention keyboard so much.
17:49:57 [jeanne]
KP: We have the note, modality independent controls.
17:50:14 [jeanne]
... could we use that phrase?
17:50:48 [Greg]
UAAG20 makes it clear that keyboard isn't always physical keyboard, but that is spread out through several definitions and the Note at the beginning of Principle 2.
17:50:53 [jeanne]
JS: I think we should postpone this discussion until we address the comment about keyboard issue.
17:51:27 [jeanne]
rrsagent, make minutes
17:51:27 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/03/13-ua-minutes.html jeanne
17:51:28 [Greg]
We could change term to something technology neutral, like "mechanism for discrete input", but Kim thinks Jan had argument against that.
17:52:26 [Zakim]
-Kim_Patch
17:52:31 [jeanne]
rrsagent, make minutes
17:52:31 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/03/13-ua-minutes.html jeanne
17:52:41 [Zakim]
-Jeanne
18:01:38 [Zakim]
-[Microsoft]
18:01:40 [Zakim]
-Greg_Lowney
18:01:41 [Zakim]
WAI_UAWG()1:00PM has ended
18:01:41 [Zakim]
Attendees were Jeanne, [Microsoft], Greg_Lowney, Kim_Patch