W3C

- DRAFT -

Technical Architecture Group Teleconference

13 Mar 2014

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
plinss, dka, JeniT, twirl, +1.408.355.aaaa, Domenic__, Yves, +1.617.953.aabb, dherman
Regrets
Chair
Peter
Scribe
Jeni

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 13 March 2014

trackbot, start telcon

<trackbot> Meeting: Technical Architecture Group Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 13 March 2014

<scribe> ScribeNick: JeniT

<scribe> Scribe: Jeni

Extensible Web Summit

Domenic_: what should we prepare?

dka: we should have some short curated talks at the beginning of the day
... this is just to introduce topics
... we could outline in a shared document some ideas about what those talks should be
... and we can discuss at the F2F, which is 3 days beforehand
... I just sent out an email to invitees who haven't registered

<dherman> brb

dka: I'll open more general registration tomorrow
... which we should advertise
... to already-knowledgable developers

Domenic__: we should start that shared document for planning, eg topics, format

dka: there's an etherpad
... also, I had a ping from Evan Gill from Adobe asking about catering, budget, numbers etc

<twirl> https://ewe.etherpad.mozilla.org/1

dka: if we don't have money, attendees can purchase food from the Adobe cafe

Domenic__: we can encourage going out for lunch

plinss: could we send out a reminder to tag member list please

F2F Agenda

plinss: we have the wiki page for the agenda topics

Domenic__: we might want to discuss module (?) integration

Updates

dka: nothing from me

JeniT: nothing from me

twirl: question from me: what should we do with EME draft?

<dka> We may want to schedule a special call or chat or something about summit organization ...

twirl: I think it needs some population & fixing up

<Yves> eme draft... => f2f topic

+1 f2f topic

Domenic__: did we capture all the feedback?

JeniT: I think an informed discussion at the f2f needs to include a structure + a summary of the discussion

Domenic__: and should we do anything between now and f2f?

plinss: twirl, please can you organise the feedback?

Domenic__: I revised quota management review
... I think we should send that over shortly
... that was a good review in many ways, it clarified some things about what's important
... and illustrated some general patterns that we should pull together
... I saw twirl did web animations spec review too
... which looks great from my scan, but I'll look at further
... the promises guide is wrapping up
... I got information about WebIDL & promises
... the last piece was about authors needing specific information
... the promises guide should be ready for review at f2f and then publication

plinss: you want to send the quota management review?

Domenic__: yes, unless there are objections

plinss: any objections?

twirl: I'm very happy

dka: any more feedback should be in by Monday

plinss: Domenic__, please prompt people on the list

Domenic__: will do

<Domenic__> https://github.com/w3ctag/api-design-guide/blob/master/API%20Design%20Guide.md

<dherman> Domenic__: design guide is very high level

<dherman> Domenic__: lot of good possibilities there

<dherman> Domenic__: what I did with quota mgmt was more specific

<dherman> Domenic__: "here's what's wrong, here's why, here's how you'd do it in JS"

<dherman> Domenic__: useful as feedback but not necessarily something you'd read

dherman: you're saying you're not sure whether to capture at that level of detail?

<twirl> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/10/01-minutes.html#item02

Domenic__: I don't think we should expect people to read it

twirl: we discussed guide at last Cambridge f2f meeting
... including what the guide should be
... we decided we needed more completed reviews to make the guide
... I had an action to start doing this guide, but I'm waiting for more reviews to make it

plinss: it's worth capturing, could be an appendix

Yves: no updates

dherman: I started drafting an explainer for module integration
... and some requirements documents
... got a lot more attention than I expected
... but it's going pretty well, though there are some people that aren't happy
... I'm trying to capture as much design/rationale/requirements as I can
... that will feed discussion at f2f
... that's just in my github repo

<dherman> https://github.com/dherman/web-modules/

dherman: we're working on new browser engine called Servo
... redesigned from scratch
... building better abstractions in the architecture
... using extensible web philosophy & web components, layering implementation
... I was pitching looking at web components sooner rather than later
... and got interest
... we're looking at core primitives for CSS

<Domenic__> +1 for more external contribs with web components

dherman: the Servo team will be valuable in the extensible web discussions
... and I'll try to bring them along to the summit
... specifically to discuss CSS

<dka> +1

dherman: Servo is an interesting project that I'd like people to be aware of

<Domenic__> I could easily see hacking on <input type="date"> on a weekend

dherman: trying very different approaches from other browser engines
... useful as a way of testing ideas for new features in the platform
... to ensure they're implementable in very different engines

Domenic__: it would be great to have that discussion at the summit

dherman: they already do loads of abstraction from CSS in Servo
... lots of interesting stuff to talk about

AOB?

ADJOURNED

<dherman> dka: ok good to know

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-03-13 18:31:56 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/???/Domenic_/
Succeeded: s/dherman/Domenic__/
Found ScribeNick: JeniT
Found Scribe: Jeni
Default Present: plinss, dka, JeniT, twirl, +1.408.355.aaaa, Domenic__, Yves, +1.617.953.aabb, dherman
Present: plinss dka JeniT twirl +1.408.355.aaaa Domenic__ Yves +1.617.953.aabb dherman
Agenda: https://www.w3.org/wiki/TAG/Planning/2014-03-13-TC
Found Date: 13 Mar 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/03/13-tagmem-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]