Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

12 Feb 2014


See also: IRC log


Klaus, Peter, Yehya, Shadi, Luz, Annika, Gerardo, (via, IRC)
Simon, David, Silvia, Markel, Justin, Vivienne, Mark


Convert vivienne's write-up into html https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/43

<shadi> https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Catalogue_Topics

Shadi: Catalogue page will list draft catalogue items; when agreed they are put in plain HTML format - reminder: add topics
... A survey will be done about the first, soon.

Develop a new editor draft with christos https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/42

Yeha: First version finished. No date for second draft; planned before end of February

Shadi: Don't forget change log

Yehya: is taken care for. will be provided with new version

<shadi> http://services.w3.org/htmldiff

Shadi: HTML diff service can be used
... shows detailed changes
... high level things to be taken into account - also for e2r; should help people if changes are addressed, in particular own comments

Create survey for feedback on accreditation write-up https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/44

Shadi: skipped; is coming our way this or next week; to be finished, soon.
... Difficult as catalogue items should be short and understandable. Goal: clear and are important issues are covered; are references there focused on research questions

Update taar as discussed https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/46

Shadi: skip 5. - David is not here for "Tips for accessibility aware research" - how to interact accessibility experts; support researchers

Complete feedback on metrics research report https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/47

Shadi: not yet done; Shadi to give feedback

See if the list of change requests and changes are available for e2r https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/51

Klaus: change log should be available next week

Shadi: please look at latest editor draft for e2r

<shadi> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/47076/E2R-Draft/results

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2012/easy-to-read/note/ED-E2R.html

Share details of the two upcoming catalogue topics https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/52

Klaus: VR and AR are soon ready to be sent round

Shadi: Will go into wiki and after review to be published in an own repository - PLEASE PICK UP ITEMS AND DRAFT THEM!!! Look at wiki pages we have or come up with new ones. PHDs and conference organisers are ideal for this (-: Contribute to your field

Update the group on the next topic https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/53

Shadi: Colleagues are in meetings; update hopefully next week on our next symposium

Complete feedback on mobile research report https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/48

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2012/mobile/note/ED-mobile

Shadi: Continue looking at mobile note; key areas we are focusing on; many misunderstandings out there, e.g. what WAI guidelines address, what additional techniques are needed ...

Discussion on Inviting new Members / research Groups

Shadi: Different ways of approaching different ways of getting next symposia; recruting people who will do symposia and finish research reports and motivate a group to contribute. Also for catalogue items
... Flyer to hand over to people - perhaps not really targeted

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/rdsymposia

Shadi: other approach - hompage of symposia more inviting; not pointing to internal page but to research symposia examples or the catalogue; should show what we do.
... Third thing: think about labs and individuals whom we could approach (university, institutes, industry labs)

<luz> I find them as very good ideas (specially the second and the third, it will send the organizations).

Shadi: this will be started by Simon and Shadi. Please send proposals to Simon and Shadi

Shadi: Advertise at conferences; mention your participation; point them to symposia pages and the catalogue
... QR code in your slides

<Peter_Thiessen> Possibility for home pages: http://pages.github.com/ (and a github account)

Peter: set up a page for making proposals - inviting page for symposia; improve wiki

Shadi: Perhaps to use gitHub

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/rdsymposia

Shadi: gitHub might be used as a repository; would be internal again; we need something external

Peter: Perhaps more visually inviting

Shadi: Thinks about more content wise update. There are other styles, but should be more on content

<luz> Does the reserach topics need to be new=new?

STANDING - Any Other Business

<luz> Super new

Shadi: No, does not have to be new. A mix would be ideal. VR and AR are also not new, but new devices and application. Others which are not new are important, e.g. e2r.

<luz> Ok, understood, thank you.

<luz> Thank you.

Shadi: Future: self driving cars, but also current topics to be pushed forward

Shadi: we don't want to exclude topics - open and we want to coordinate the field. The more and diverse, the more impact

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-02-16 10:02:08 $