IRC log of dnt on 2014-01-15

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:18:10 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #dnt
16:18:10 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2014/01/15-dnt-irc
16:18:12 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
16:18:14 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be TRACK
16:18:14 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see T&S_Track(dnt)12:00PM scheduled to start in 42 minutes
16:18:15 [trackbot]
Meeting: Tracking Protection Working Group Teleconference
16:18:15 [trackbot]
Date: 15 January 2014
16:42:19 [npdoty]
npdoty has joined #dnt
16:42:30 [jeff]
jeff has joined #dnt
16:57:03 [Zakim]
T&S_Track(dnt)12:00PM has now started
16:57:10 [Zakim]
+RichardWeaver
16:57:25 [Richard_comScore]
Richard_comScore has joined #dnt
16:57:56 [JackHobaugh]
JackHobaugh has joined #dnt
16:58:06 [Zakim]
+Carl_Cargill
16:58:16 [FPFJoeN]
FPFJoeN has joined #dnt
16:58:27 [Zakim]
+Wendy
16:58:43 [GSHans]
GSHans has joined #dnt
16:58:52 [Zakim]
+[Mozilla]
16:58:58 [sidstamm]
sidstamm has joined #dnt
16:59:05 [Zakim]
+[CDT]
16:59:10 [WaltMichel]
WaltMichel has joined #DNT
16:59:12 [GSHans]
zakim, [CDT] has me
16:59:12 [Zakim]
+GSHans; got it
16:59:12 [sidstamm]
Zakim, Mozilla has me
16:59:13 [Zakim]
+sidstamm; got it
16:59:26 [ninja]
zakim, call ninja-mobile
16:59:27 [Zakim]
ok, ninja; the call is being made
16:59:27 [Zakim]
+Ninja
16:59:29 [Zakim]
+Jack_Hobaugh
16:59:30 [Zakim]
-Jack_Hobaugh
16:59:46 [Bryan]
Bryan has joined #dnt
16:59:52 [Zakim]
+npdoty
16:59:58 [ninja]
zakim, mute me
16:59:58 [Zakim]
Ninja should now be muted
17:00:14 [Zakim]
+Jack_Hobaugh
17:00:20 [Zakim]
+Mike_Zaneis
17:00:26 [Zakim]
+hober
17:00:27 [vincent]
vincent has joined #dnt
17:00:40 [Mike_Zaneis]
Mike_Zaneis has joined #dnt
17:00:44 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
17:00:47 [eberkower]
eberkower has joined #dnt
17:00:53 [walter]
zakim, IPcaller is me
17:00:53 [Zakim]
+walter; got it
17:01:08 [vinay]
vinay has joined #dnt
17:01:14 [Zakim]
+Bryan_Sullivan
17:01:18 [Zakim]
+kulick
17:01:22 [Zakim]
+eberkower
17:01:25 [Joanne]
Joanne has joined #DNT
17:01:26 [moneill2]
moneill2 has joined #dnt
17:01:32 [eberkower]
Zakim, mute me please
17:01:32 [Zakim]
eberkower should now be muted
17:01:41 [justin]
justin has joined #dnt
17:01:42 [Zakim]
+Peder_Magee
17:01:43 [Zakim]
+ +1.617.766.aaaa
17:01:50 [Zakim]
+vincent
17:01:57 [Zakim]
+Jeff
17:02:15 [carlcargill]
carlcargill has joined #dnt
17:02:34 [vinay]
npdoty -- just as an FYI, I dialed in from a 408-536- number but Zakim isn't showing it
17:02:39 [wseltzer]
zakim, who is on the phone?
17:02:39 [Zakim]
On the phone I see RichardWeaver, Carl_Cargill, Wendy, [Mozilla], [CDT], Ninja (muted), npdoty, Jack_Hobaugh, Mike_Zaneis, hober, walter, Bryan_Sullivan, kulick, eberkower (muted),
17:02:39 [Zakim]
... Peder_Magee, +1.617.766.aaaa, vincent, Jeff
17:02:39 [Zakim]
[CDT] has GSHans
17:02:39 [Zakim]
[Mozilla] has sidstamm
17:02:58 [Zakim]
+[CDT.a]
17:03:00 [_538]
_538 has joined #dnt
17:03:03 [justin]
zakim, cdt.a has me
17:03:04 [Zakim]
+justin; got it
17:03:11 [fielding]
fielding has joined #dnt
17:03:12 [Zakim]
+Joanne
17:03:14 [vinay]
I think Zakim may have categorized Peder as me (not sure though)
17:03:30 [justin]
zakim, who is on the phone?
17:03:30 [Zakim]
On the phone I see RichardWeaver, Carl_Cargill, Wendy, [Mozilla], [CDT], Ninja (muted), npdoty, Jack_Hobaugh, Mike_Zaneis, hober, walter, Bryan_Sullivan, kulick, eberkower (muted),
17:03:33 [Zakim]
... Peder_Magee, +1.617.766.aaaa, vincent, Jeff, [CDT.a], Joanne
17:03:33 [Zakim]
[CDT] has GSHans
17:03:33 [Zakim]
[Mozilla] has sidstamm
17:03:33 [Zakim]
[CDT.a] has justin
17:03:33 [Zakim]
+Fielding
17:03:48 [moneill2]
moneill2 has joined #dnt
17:03:54 [npdoty]
Zakim, who is making noise?
17:04:02 [ChrisPedigoOPA]
ChrisPedigoOPA has joined #dnt
17:04:05 [Zakim]
npdoty, listening for 11 seconds I heard sound from the following: [CDT.a] (51%), npdoty (31%), +1.617.766.aaaa (12%)
17:04:10 [Zakim]
+ChrisPedigoOPA
17:04:17 [Zakim]
+hefferjr
17:04:22 [npdoty]
Zakim, aaaa is vinay
17:04:22 [Zakim]
+vinay; got it
17:04:24 [justin]
zakim, agenda?
17:04:24 [Zakim]
I see 6 items remaining on the agenda:
17:04:25 [Zakim]
1. ISSUE-153 What are the implications on software that changes requests but does not necessarily initiate them? [from ninja]
17:04:25 [Zakim]
2. ISSUE-197 How do we notify the user why a Disregard signal is received? [from ninja]
17:04:25 [Zakim]
3. ISSUE-240 Definition of context [from ninja]
17:04:25 [Zakim]
4. ISSUE-239 Should tracking status representation include an array of links for claiming compliance by reference? [from ninja]
17:04:26 [adrianba]
adrianba has joined #dnt
17:04:28 [Zakim]
5. ISSUE-241 Distinguish elements for site-internal use and elements that can be re-used by others (1/3) [from ninja]
17:04:28 [Zakim]
6. AoB [from ninja]
17:04:31 [Zakim]
+WaltMichel
17:05:06 [kulick]
kulick has joined #dnt
17:05:10 [npdoty]
Zakim, please choose a scribe
17:05:10 [Zakim]
Not knowing who is chairing or who scribed recently, I propose Wendy
17:05:10 [ninja]
we don't have a scribe yet. Volunteers?
17:05:21 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
17:05:23 [justin]
http://www.w3.org/wiki/Privacy/TPWG/Proposals_on_limitations_for_add-ons
17:05:41 [npdoty]
Zakim, please choose a scribe
17:05:41 [Zakim]
Not knowing who is chairing or who scribed recently, I propose Peder_Magee
17:05:51 [npdoty]
Zakim, please choose a scribe
17:05:51 [Zakim]
Not knowing who is chairing or who scribed recently, I propose vinay
17:05:56 [ninja]
zakim, unmute me
17:05:56 [Zakim]
Ninja should no longer be muted
17:06:00 [cOlsen]
cOlsen has joined #dnt
17:06:01 [vincent]
I can try to do it, it's been a while
17:06:11 [npdoty]
scribenick: vincent
17:06:16 [WileyS]
WileyS has joined #dnt
17:06:18 [GSHans]
i can take over scribe at 12:45
17:06:24 [ninja]
thank you, vincent
17:06:52 [Chapell]
Chapell has joined #DNT
17:06:56 [Zakim]
+[FTC]
17:06:56 [vincent]
issue-153?
17:06:56 [trackbot]
issue-153 -- What are the implications on software that changes requests but does not necessarily initiate them? -- pending review
17:06:56 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/153
17:07:26 [npdoty]
regrets+ dsinger, johnsimpson
17:07:29 [vincent]
justin:David and Brad have been working on the language
17:07:30 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
17:07:34 [Zakim]
-[Microsoft]
17:07:52 [Zakim]
+??P8
17:07:56 [kj]
kj has joined #dnt
17:07:58 [vincent]
... walter propose his own language on his issue
17:08:05 [JC]
JC has joined #DNT
17:08:26 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
17:08:35 [vincent]
... issue in a group for while, should there be a second guess of the DNT header
17:09:01 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft.a]
17:09:02 [vincent]
... is this specific to add-on or is it related to issue 157?
17:09:03 [adrianba]
zakim, [Microsoft.a] is me
17:09:03 [Zakim]
+adrianba; got it
17:09:08 [vincent]
issue-157?
17:09:08 [trackbot]
issue-157 -- Charter is running out and we need to agree on whether to extend or recharter and what a revised charter would look like -- closed
17:09:08 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/157
17:09:09 [Zakim]
+WileyS
17:09:13 [adrianba]
zakim, mute me
17:09:13 [Zakim]
adrianba should now be muted
17:09:23 [npdoty]
issue-197?
17:09:23 [trackbot]
issue-197 -- How do we notify the user why a Disregard signal is received? -- closed
17:09:23 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/197
17:09:49 [Zakim]
+LeeTien
17:09:54 [npdoty]
actually, I think 197 is meant to still be open
17:10:09 [sidstamm]
q+ to talk about addons, open source and compliance
17:11:02 [hefferjr]
hefferjr has joined #dnt
17:11:03 [npdoty]
ack sidstamm
17:11:03 [Zakim]
sidstamm, you wanted to talk about addons, open source and compliance
17:11:08 [Ari]
Ari has joined #dnt
17:11:14 [Zakim]
+Chapell
17:11:23 [vincent]
sid: scho walter consernce on the mailing mlist, add-ons do not have control over the extension add-on and how they behave
17:11:30 [WileyS]
Sid, the Mozilla team was saying they could blacklist add-ons.
17:11:37 [fielding]
Matthias closed 197 on 17 Dec: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2013Dec/0089.html
17:11:48 [Brooks]
Brooks has joined #dnt
17:11:49 [Zakim]
+FPFJoeN
17:11:53 [justin]
That was incorrect --- as we acknolwdged earlier.
17:12:03 [Zakim]
+Ari
17:12:03 [vincent]
... that being said, point understood want ot be sure that the signal reflect the user choce but it's more a compliance document that technical
17:12:23 [vincent]
justin: do you support the editor text
17:12:26 [vincent]
?
17:12:26 [Zakim]
+Brooks
17:12:34 [WileyS]
That's fine - they are the bad actor in that scenario - not Mozilla.
17:12:38 [walter]
WileyS: that would be incompatible with the Mozilla license
17:12:42 [justin]
Matthias was not supposed to close that issue, and we said on an earlier call (in response to dwainberg inter alia) that it was still open.
17:12:45 [Bryan]
Bryan has joined #dnt
17:12:46 [vincent]
sid: in response to change, yest we can block specific add-ons but they can change signature
17:12:49 [walter]
q+
17:12:51 [Bryan]
q+
17:12:55 [vincent]
... it then becomes a race
17:12:56 [WileyS]
Walter, that is incorrect - Sid and team are explaining why now.
17:13:13 [fielding]
justin, okay -- should I reopen it?
17:13:22 [WileyS]
"to the extent" possible is fair - we could add that to the language
17:13:34 [justin]
fielding, yes, or move to pending review, since we're moving to CfO today with 2 or 3 options.
17:13:36 [WileyS]
"to the extent possible" (misquote)
17:13:38 [walter]
WileyS: even if it is compatible with the MPL (which I still doubt) there are still other browsers with more copyleft licenses
17:13:43 [FPFJoeN]
zakim, mute me
17:13:43 [Zakim]
FPFJoeN should now be muted
17:13:55 [vincent]
... particularly completed since rebuild of firefox get popular
17:13:57 [WileyS]
Sid, I'm fine with adding the "to the extent possible" clarification
17:14:01 [npdoty]
ack walter
17:14:17 [WileyS]
+q
17:14:20 [sidstamm]
WileyS, why do we need the text in the tech spec at all?
17:14:24 [vincent]
walter: you have several browser which have solution to blacklist add-ons
17:14:30 [sidstamm]
Wileys, isn't that a compliance issue?
17:14:33 [WileyS]
Does adding "to the extent possible" make you feel more comfortable?
17:14:45 [npdoty]
s/have solution/have no option/
17:14:55 [vincent]
... but open-source browser can not black-list anything and can not be held responsible for the extensions
17:14:56 [justin]
ack bryan
17:15:03 [WileyS]
Sid, I believe its more of a technical compliance element but should be repeated in policy compliance documents as well.
17:15:32 [walter]
WileyS: that is putting legalese in a protocol spec which as a lawyer feels wrong
17:15:32 [Zakim]
-??P8
17:15:38 [npdoty]
technical compliance, in that it's compliance of the client software? or does technical compliance mean something else?
17:15:44 [justin]
zakim, who is on the phone?
17:15:44 [Zakim]
On the phone I see RichardWeaver, Carl_Cargill, Wendy, [Mozilla], [CDT], Ninja, npdoty, Jack_Hobaugh, Mike_Zaneis, hober, walter, Bryan_Sullivan, kulick, eberkower (muted),
17:15:46 [sidstamm]
WileyS, what walter said
17:15:47 [Zakim]
... Peder_Magee, vinay, vincent, Jeff, [CDT.a], Joanne, Fielding, ChrisPedigoOPA, hefferjr, WaltMichel, [IPcaller], [FTC], [Microsoft], adrianba (muted), WileyS, LeeTien, Chapell,
17:15:47 [Zakim]
... FPFJoeN (muted), Ari, Brooks
17:15:47 [Zakim]
[CDT] has GSHans
17:15:47 [Zakim]
[Mozilla] has sidstamm
17:15:47 [Zakim]
[CDT.a] has justin
17:15:55 [fielding]
Open source licenses do not make any difference (I authored the Apache license); browsers will simply ignore such a requirement.
17:15:58 [Zakim]
-WaltMichel
17:16:03 [justin]
q?
17:16:22 [justin]
ack wileys
17:16:25 [sidstamm]
operating systems (especially on mobile) may want to send DNT too...
17:16:35 [npdoty]
to Bryan's point, I think the existing language refers to other software, not just browsers
17:16:38 [vincent]
Bryan: limit the scope of the DNT to the browser and do not extend the scope of DNT to other element (did get that right Bryan ?)
17:16:44 [sidstamm]
q+
17:16:47 [walter]
fielding: Apache is not a copyleft license, of which you are undoubtedly aware
17:17:07 [fielding]
walter, that makes no difference whatsoever.
17:17:08 [npdoty]
"to the extent possible" is a request on organizations like Mozilla, not a requirement on a piece of software, right?
17:17:37 [sidstamm]
npdoty, sounds like it, which means maybe it shouldn't be in the TPE
17:18:02 [fielding]
copyright on redistribution has nothing whatsoever to do with controlling the network interface provided to add-ons, nor "taking responsibility" whatever that means.
17:18:04 [Bryan]
The implication that anything beyond the browser are "bad actors" needs to be challenged
17:18:14 [justin]
q?
17:18:18 [vincent]
WileyS: not trying to build a standard for bad actors , not asking for rearchitecure but use what is avaiblae today
17:18:18 [justin]
ack sid
17:18:30 [Bryan]
q+
17:18:55 [vincent]
sidstamm: the tpedescribe the protocol the way it works, don't understand what it should be in here, example of HTML5 parsing
17:19:03 [vincent]
... not sure it should be in the document
17:19:05 [WileyS]
+q
17:19:10 [justin]
ack bryan
17:19:18 [justin]
zakim, close the queue
17:19:18 [Zakim]
ok, justin, the speaker queue is closed
17:19:32 [vincent]
Bryan: w3c should be carefull about defining bad actors, not all good actor should be browser vendor
17:19:39 [justin]
We've gone back and forth on this issue for weeks, we need to move to CfO.
17:19:44 [walter]
q+
17:19:56 [justin]
ack wiley
17:20:02 [npdoty]
I think the proposals have improved in not singling out non-browsers
17:20:11 [sidstamm]
WileyS, would your misspeak make you a "bad actor?" ha ha. :)
17:20:12 [Zakim]
+WaltMichel
17:20:43 [walter]
that has been my point all along
17:20:47 [vincent]
WileyS: was not planing on using the word bad actors, bad actors just refer to actor that consistently change the signatur of the add-on
17:20:47 [Zakim]
-Peder_Magee
17:20:49 [sidstamm]
yeah, agreed
17:20:52 [walter]
you need DRM to enforce any of this
17:20:58 [jeff]
[Jeff appreciates Shane's clarification that W3C did not define anyone as a bad actor.]
17:21:04 [sidstamm]
WileyS, sorry, bad attempt at a joke
17:21:18 [justin]
http://www.w3.org/wiki/Privacy/TPWG/Proposals_on_Disregard_signal
17:21:24 [npdoty]
Topic: issue-197
17:21:24 [vincent]
justin: gonna work with shane and brad and david to see if the term impossible should be there
17:21:31 [sidstamm]
WileyS, but intent doesn't come into it with technical specs... all that matters is behavior
17:21:35 [vincent]
issue-197?
17:21:35 [trackbot]
issue-197 -- How do we notify the user why a Disregard signal is received? -- closed
17:21:35 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/197
17:21:36 [npdoty]
s/impossible/to extent possible/
17:21:54 [vincent]
thx npdoty
17:22:02 [npdoty]
intend to go to Call for Objections on 153 tonight
17:22:25 [vincent]
justin: Discussion about the disregard signal, some pushing that you should not be able to do that
17:23:32 [walter]
justin: to be clear I'm pretty agnostic on conflating issues 153 and 197
17:23:44 [fielding]
updated the issue to OPEN
17:23:47 [fielding]
issue-197?
17:23:47 [trackbot]
issue-197 -- How do we notify the user why a Disregard signal is received? -- open
17:23:47 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/197
17:24:08 [justin]
q?
17:24:17 [npdoty]
Zakim, please open the queue
17:24:17 [Zakim]
ok, npdoty, the speaker queue is open
17:24:21 [WileyS]
Justin, could you paste the proposed text here?
17:24:24 [vincent]
justin: worth moving the call for objection in the absence of David Wainberg?
17:24:31 [WileyS]
Thank you
17:24:32 [justin]
Note: This specification was written assuming that the D tracking status value would be used only in situations that can be adequately described to users as an exception to normal behavior. If this turns out not to be the case, either the logic that is leading to the D signal may need re-examination, or this specification, or both."
17:24:53 [justin]
Dwainberg wanted to remove this: “Note that the D tracking status value is meant to be used only in situations that can be adequately described to users as an exception to normal behavior.”
17:24:53 [walter]
q+
17:24:55 [vincent]
... this is the language that Dwainberg wanted to be removed
17:24:55 [WileyS]
I think we can keep the first sentence.
17:25:07 [WileyS]
Note: This specification was written assuming that the D tracking status value would be used only in situations that can be adequately described to users as an exception to normal behavior.
17:25:27 [npdoty]
WileyS, I suspect dsinger would be fine with that, as the second sentence is mostly a reminder to the group
17:25:30 [vincent]
walter: to clarify, if you'r oing to have the disregard signal, i'd like to have a criteria
17:25:54 [vincent]
... if someone is going to disregard DNT signal, user-agent must be informed
17:27:18 [npdoty]
is Walter's proposal that "D" only be sent in cases of invalid syntax?
17:27:40 [npdoty]
... or that it has to be defined in Compliance doc?
17:27:40 [fielding]
Do we even need to discuss that option?
17:27:44 [vincent]
justin: are you considerign the case where the signal is incorrect?
17:27:57 [WileyS]
Then I would suggest we remain silent then on the scope of the signal and simply have the signal in the standard.
17:28:00 [vincent]
walter: base on the TPE
17:28:13 [sidstamm]
I think if a server thinks the client signal is malformed, it can simply disregard it, right? No need to reply back.
17:28:29 [sidstamm]
this is what roy just said
17:28:46 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller.a]
17:28:58 [vincent]
xxx: if the header sent is not conform then you shoudl not send D but you should sen nothing
17:29:04 [sidstamm]
"D" should probably mean "I received the signal, but have reasons for ignoring it"
17:29:06 [npdoty]
if someone sent DNTblah, then a server might ignore, or might send D
17:29:10 [WileyS]
Wouldn't it be fair to reply with a "D" and provide the reason that the syntax is invalid?
17:29:24 [sidstamm]
sure, but not necessary WileyS
17:29:25 [vincent]
xxx: if there is an error in the syntax, then the signal should be ignored
17:29:33 [npdoty]
s/xxx/fielding/
17:29:35 [vincent]
... not responsone should be sent
17:30:03 [justin]
q?
17:30:04 [ninja]
sidstamm, the question that lead to this was whether a site that sends D in all or most cases can claim compliance
17:30:05 [npdoty]
q+
17:30:06 [justin]
ack walter
17:30:08 [walter]
q-
17:30:13 [justin]
ack npd
17:30:34 [vincent]
sorry did not capture what walter said
17:30:49 [sidstamm]
ninja, thanks, I see.
17:30:52 [vincent]
npdoty: could we just move it to compliant?
17:31:16 [vincent]
walter: should not be an excuse to disregard the signal for technical reason
17:31:26 [npdoty]
npdoty has joined #dnt
17:31:27 [walter]
vincent: for other than technical reasons
17:31:46 [sidstamm]
that language sounds fine
17:31:49 [vincent]
justin: thx walter
17:31:50 [WileyS]
Sid, that's fair - if the sytax is so confused that we're unable to determine its even a DNT request then its probably better to not respond at all.
17:31:57 [fielding]
The choice is whether you tell the user in an automated form "D" or ignore the signal and leave this information in the privacy policy only
17:32:06 [npdoty]
there are requirements in TPE on user agent, but no language on whether/when to disregard a signal
17:32:45 [rvaneijk]
rvaneijk has joined #dnt
17:32:47 [vincent]
justin: do you want to keep in the tpe that you consider only valid signal
17:32:49 [vincent]
?
17:32:49 [Brooks]
what does "malformed" mean? Is it the header or the argument to the header?
17:33:24 [sidstamm]
WileyS, yeah, but it would be ok to reply with "D" with a reason like "could not parse" or "don't know what that means", but surely not a requirement to reply to unparsable requests
17:33:26 [npdoty]
can walter repeat that in IRC?
17:33:38 [fielding]
malformed means it doesn't match the ABNF (formal syntax grammar)
17:33:45 [vincent]
yes I missed it
17:34:12 [walter]
npdoty: given roy's arguments that http is built around the notion that malformed signals are ignored, I can see reasons to drop my text. However, if issue 153 is not resolved in a strictly technical way, I will reintroduce it.
17:34:21 [WileyS]
Sid, I agree - to be on the safe side (individual company implementation decision) they could try to respond if they had a high degree of confidence that the signal was meant to be a DNT signal and was simply malformed in some manner.
17:34:21 [vincent]
justin: walter could you put in IRC exactly what you want?
17:34:25 [vincent]
issue-240?
17:34:25 [trackbot]
issue-240 -- Do we need to define context? -- raised
17:34:25 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/240
17:34:30 [npdoty]
Topic: issue-240
17:34:30 [ninja]
https://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/240 http://www.w3.org/wiki/Privacy/TPWG/Proposals_on_the_definition_of_context
17:34:31 [justin]
http://www.w3.org/wiki/Privacy/TPWG/Proposals_on_the_definition_of_context
17:34:38 [walter]
npdoty: the origin of my language were the continuous attempts to introduce excuses to disregard valid DNT signals
17:34:55 [vincent]
justin: rob or mike suggested to add new language on context
17:35:07 [walter]
vincent: is that precise enough?
17:35:11 [fielding]
MUST not use MUST in a factual statement like definitions
17:35:23 [moneill2]
+q
17:35:31 [justin]
ack mo
17:35:56 [vincent]
moneill2: the idea is to make sure that it's key and that the definition always apply
17:36:00 [WileyS]
Context is becoming a defintion of "1st Party" - am I the only one seeing that?
17:36:13 [hwest]
hwest has joined #dnt
17:37:24 [WileyS]
Walter, the issue is defining what is "valid". I believe you're suggesting a signal that comes technical well-formed is all that is required for validity. Correct? I of course disagree and we can move that debate to the CfO.
17:37:26 [fielding]
I should have said "same data controller (or joint controllers)"
17:37:43 [WileyS]
s/technical/technically
17:38:17 [vincent]
I can't capture what justin said (too fast )
17:38:31 [dsinger]
dsinger has joined #dnt
17:38:38 [justin]
(more important to capture what everyone says --- I"m jus asking questions!)
17:38:41 [Zakim]
+hwest
17:38:55 [Zakim]
-[IPcaller.a]
17:38:55 [vincent]
fielding: context should be based on origin server, it would then be discoverable
17:38:56 [npdoty]
justin: fielding, can you summarize your alternative to using same-party?
17:39:06 [Zakim]
-RichardWeaver
17:40:03 [Zakim]
+ +31.65.275.aabb
17:40:12 [rvaneijk]
zakim, aabb is me
17:40:12 [Zakim]
+rvaneijk; got it
17:40:13 [Zakim]
+??P31
17:40:22 [vincent]
WileyS: speaking about the latest definition, instead of speaking of domain and branding, in the first version those were items in the defiintion of first party
17:40:48 [walter]
WileyS: Indeed, a well-formed signal is valid at the TPE spec. If the DAA decides in their compliance specs that an otherwise valid signal only will be honoured if it has been sent under a full moon while spilling the blood of virgins, that is up to them.
17:40:51 [vincent]
... my issue we went with the word context because it was more fleaxible but now we're trying to define the word
17:40:55 [fielding]
I meant that a link could be added to the TSR such that all resources belonging to the same context would all point to that same context, and thus the set is discoverable. This would be in addition to the definition of context.
17:41:07 [walter]
eh, valid at the TPE level
17:41:09 [vincent]
... the current definition is just a proxy for 1st party
17:41:31 [vincent]
... we're fiding that defining a single context is not gonna be enough
17:41:57 [vincent]
... the current proposal is akind to first party and thus only one type of context is defined
17:42:19 [fielding]
q+
17:42:25 [vincent]
justin: what use case are you worried about
17:42:46 [walter]
isn't that what the SAME-PARTY signal is useful for?
17:43:16 [npdoty]
these seem like reasons to re-use the "first party" definition, which includes some of these concepts (like widget interaction)
17:43:17 [fielding]
but there is a problem with my design above: it doesn't work well with sharing the same resource (owned by the same party) in multiple contexts that are not along party lines
17:43:28 [npdoty]
Zakim, who is making noise?
17:43:40 [Zakim]
npdoty, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: [CDT.a] (96%), walter (8%)
17:43:50 [Zakim]
-??P31
17:44:07 [vincent]
justin: we could pick the current definition that we have, based on discovarebility rahter than common branding
17:44:09 [walter]
npdoty: I am now
17:44:13 [walter]
apologies
17:44:17 [vincent]
WileyS: that might be an appropriate replacement
17:44:35 [justin]
ack fielding
17:44:45 [npdoty]
s/that/first party/
17:45:07 [walter]
q+
17:45:21 [moneill2]
+q
17:45:30 [vincent]
fielding: the real disticntion beween context and party is that we spoke of first party vs 3 party wheter the definition of context would allow to cover brand like Proster and gamble
17:46:05 [npdoty]
fielding's concern is that party-by-ownership would be broader than user expectations (like in Proctor & Gamble)
17:46:21 [vincent]
... which has many domains no-one would expect to be part of a same party
17:46:27 [npdoty]
s/Proster and gamble/Procter & Gamble/
17:46:34 [justin]
ack walter
17:46:38 [fielding]
or any company that is making no attempt to share branding across multiple sites that they happen to own
17:47:00 [vincent]
walter: I agree with fielding that ithere is no a technical way to define context
17:47:32 [npdoty]
fielding, was your suggestion to not define context so that the discussion of the breadth/user expectations can be defined in Compliance?
17:47:37 [npdoty]
ack moneill
17:47:39 [dwainberg]
dwainberg has joined #dnt
17:47:54 [justin]
To be clear, we have explored the Proctor & Gamble issue for years :)
17:48:28 [vincent]
moneill2: it would be hard to see how JS api would work without the same origin rule (cosnidering the Procter & gamble example)
17:48:38 [Zakim]
+dwainberg
17:49:13 [fielding]
npdoty, that wasn't my suggestion (it could, in theory, and then be determined by regulatory practice, but I personally prefer a definition in the spec so that user's preference is defined)
17:49:51 [Chapell]
+1 to Roy. I'm concerned about expanding the definition beyond user expectations
17:49:52 [GSHans]
I can take over scribing
17:50:11 [npdoty]
scribenick: GSHans
17:50:11 [vincent]
I missed what justin just said
17:50:30 [Zakim]
-[CDT.a]
17:50:33 [GSHans]
Carl: finishing 240 now. trying to get more closure by next week.
17:50:50 [npdoty]
comments on issue-240 by email by next week
17:51:04 [GSHans]
Npdoty: yes that's how we have it in the agenda.
17:51:05 [walter]
Carl was breaking up for me
17:51:24 [Zakim]
-WaltMichel
17:51:26 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: more closure and trying to work towards a better definition. Trying to close the can of worms and get back to finishing it
17:51:28 [npdoty]
q?
17:51:47 [npdoty]
Topic: issue-239
17:51:53 [ninja]
next topic: ISSUE-239
17:51:53 [ninja]
http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/239 http://www.w3.org/wiki/Privacy/TPWG/Proposals_on_status_URL_array_for_compliance_regimes
17:52:07 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: next agenda item. ISSUE-239.
17:52:23 [Zakim]
+WaltMichel
17:53:12 [GSHans]
NPDoty: Roy made some changes to try and recopule compliance and TPE so that TPE doesn't make normative requirements. We've been working on creating a URL array for compliance regimes so that it can indicate which regime it is complying with. I personally have been objecting to that - may not be clear to users.
17:53:26 [ChrisPedigoOPA]
q+
17:53:57 [npdoty]
ack ChrisPedigoOPA
17:54:40 [GSHans]
ChrisPedigo: echoes nick's concern. Makes sense to add 1-3 back in. since the group started, we've agreed on a 1-3d party construct, and doesn't seem wise to disregard it. There may have been disagreements about it but it has value.
17:54:46 [GSHans]
zakim, who is making noise?
17:54:58 [Zakim]
GSHans, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: Fielding (100%), ChrisPedigoOPA (4%)
17:55:28 [GSHans]
Fielding: These distinctions (1st v. 3rd parties) don't matter to users, but only to the working group members.
17:55:34 [npdoty]
q+
17:55:46 [GSHans]
ChrisPedigo: the references weren't removed by consensus.
17:56:07 [walter]
q+
17:56:09 [GSHans]
Fielding: Schunter asked for them to be removed. No way to express without knowing what the requirements are for 1st vs. 3rd.
17:56:19 [GSHans]
ChrisPedigo: Could be expressed in the context of another compliance regime.
17:56:29 [npdoty]
issue-241?
17:56:29 [trackbot]
issue-241 -- Distinguish elements for site-internal use and elements that can be re-used by others (1/3) -- open
17:56:29 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/241
17:56:35 [GSHans]
FIelding: meaningful interaction has to be defined somewhere.
17:56:54 [moneill2]
+q
17:56:58 [GSHans]
ChrisPedigo: lots of compliance elements are still in the spec. There are going to be other regimes that come in and do compliance. It makes sense to keep 1-3 here so people can plug into that.
17:57:06 [Zakim]
-Carl_Cargill
17:57:25 [GSHans]
Fielding; anyone can add a 1 or a 3 in the qualifiers to explain what they mean for compliance. no need to define in the protocol on the assumption that the agreement will be done elsehwere
17:57:49 [GSHans]
ChrisPedigo: including 1-3 expresses consensus from the group at an early point in the process.
17:58:04 [npdoty]
ack walter
17:58:06 [GSHans]
NPDoty: willt ake over for call
17:58:06 [Zakim]
+Carl_Cargill
17:59:01 [GSHans]
Walter: TPE and compliance are considered simultaneously. [couldn't hear rest of comment]
17:59:12 [npdoty]
ack mon
18:00:03 [Zakim]
-LeeTien
18:00:03 [walter]
GSHans: TPE and compliance were considered simultaneously originally, before I joined in. The 1st and 3rd party distinctions never made sense to my limited understanding of the HTTP protocal, nor for foreseeable compliance regimes outside the USA.
18:00:16 [GSHans]
MONeill: If you're doing something not covered by tracking, there's no problem. 1-3 was supposed to differentiate between resources written by different contexts. We have to define what that means. Not sure what the problem was for using 1-3
18:00:30 [walter]
GSHans: If anything removal of the 1st and 3rd party definitions makes the TPE less parochial and more global
18:01:26 [GSHans]
NPDoty: could be related to next issue. Tied in with how we indicate compliance. Could define an informative response as defined for a 1p context, even though not for a specific set of compliance rules. Could be informative but not necessarily going to the model of indicating compliance.
18:02:03 [fielding]
We would need text proposals for new meaning of 1 and 3
18:02:09 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: We have Roy's original proposal. Qs as to why we're doing it - where do we go from here? Do we go to CFO or stay where we are?
18:02:13 [WileyS]
Sounds like CfO is appropriate here
18:02:27 [fielding]
… and would that be in TSV or qualifiers?
18:03:02 [GSHans]
NPDoty: Roy suggested in IRC doing a text proposal. Could do that for 1 and 3. Would be good if current objectors - Walter, Mike, Roy - could give a sense if that would be workable.
18:03:45 [GSHans]
Fielding: Concern would be that it would have to be something that servers can communicate. Must be able to be programmatically determined by server. In long term, don't think we'll need it, but understand desire for proposals.
18:03:47 [npdoty]
my current expectation is that it would be a qualifier
18:03:51 [walter]
are we going to be haunted by 80's synths again?
18:04:03 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: What cannot be programmatically defined based on discussion heard today?
18:04:39 [GSHans]
Fielding: Server line request has to be acknowledged based on response it gets. Can't be implemented if server needs to guess. If 1-3 meaning changed for some other purpose have to read the def to see if it would work.
18:05:01 [npdoty]
that's good feedback, and I think that's achievable
18:05:02 [walter]
fielding: could it work to tie in a dependency on the referrer URL?
18:05:07 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: That's the limitation for those who are going to work on this. Definitional must be exclusively stated to allow server to determine.
18:05:31 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: We will discuss this again next week.
18:05:40 [fielding]
walter, I doubt that … referer itself is not very reliable
18:05:52 [GSHans]
NPDoty: Hope is that I or others can do this before next week.
18:05:53 [walter]
fielding: I was afraid so, just checking
18:06:20 [GSHans]
Ninja: List of change proposals. Next week CFO, but we can delay this.
18:06:40 [GSHans]
CarlCargiill: Would prefer to close this week to avoid CFO and go with consensus. NPDoty will work for consensus, and failing that, will put on agenda for next week.
18:06:54 [npdoty]
q?
18:06:56 [npdoty]
q-
18:07:03 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: Issue-241
18:07:04 [fielding]
issue-241?
18:07:04 [trackbot]
issue-241 -- Distinguish elements for site-internal use and elements that can be re-used by others (1/3) -- open
18:07:04 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/241
18:07:04 [ninja]
next topic: ISSUE-241 https://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/241
18:07:36 [Zakim]
-adrianba
18:07:36 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: Do not pretend to understand this issue. Schunter is highly concerned about it. Discussed at length at chairs session.
18:07:37 [fielding]
hmm, I thought we just discusses it
18:07:56 [fielding]
s/discusses/discussed/
18:07:58 [ninja]
fielding, they are closely related due to Nick's proposal
18:08:02 [Zakim]
-[FTC]
18:08:30 [GSHans]
NPDoty: Part of what we just discussed. Proposal that I gave to get out of 239 concerns would also addressed 241.
18:08:39 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: If we successfully pursue 239, we can close 241?
18:08:45 [GSHans]
NPDOty: Yes - or vice versa.
18:08:57 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: Will hold 241 until we see how we address 239.
18:09:00 [GSHans]
q?
18:09:14 [moneill2]
+q
18:09:22 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: 241 comments?
18:09:25 [npdoty]
ack mon
18:09:57 [kulick]
kulick has left #dnt
18:10:00 [kulick]
kulick has joined #dnt
18:10:01 [GSHans]
MONeill: Would need to see user agent to determine the 1-3 from an embedded 3d party. Would add more work rather than reducing.
18:10:14 [fielding]
So, we can actually go quickly to CfO on 239 (compliance array) since Nick's text is actually about 241
18:10:22 [npdoty]
I tend to agree that it's not the most useful debugging aid
18:10:28 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: If we do 239, do we still need 241?
18:10:37 [WileyS]
From a pure TPE perspective they seem duplicative
18:10:54 [GSHans]
Fielding: 239 is simpler.
18:10:58 [WileyS]
Fair call out from Roy.
18:11:04 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: Can we take objections from 239 and move to 241?
18:11:15 [GSHans]
Fielding: Would rather do 239.
18:11:39 [WileyS]
Is anyone against 239? I thought we all agreed we'd need an array since different markets may require different compliance pointers (or possibly multiple pointers for a single market - for example, DAA and NAI)
18:11:41 [Zakim]
-Bryan_Sullivan
18:11:42 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: NPDoty will address. 239 and 241 seem to be intermingled. If we sort 239, we may obviate 241, or we may redefine 241.
18:12:00 [walter]
241 seems very different to me
18:12:24 [GSHans]
NPDoty: different people see these issues differently. Solving 241 may remove my 239 objections, or weaken them. Personally, I think if we solve 241, we deal with 239.
18:12:25 [GSHans]
q?
18:12:26 [WileyS]
+q
18:12:28 [Zakim]
+Bryan_Sullivan
18:12:38 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: How do we solve this?
18:12:40 [kulick]
i dont see then that tied together
18:12:40 [GSHans]
ack WileyS
18:12:55 [kulick]
s/then/them/
18:13:27 [GSHans]
WileyS: They are two different discussions. 241 is about should we include in TPE response signal for 1 and 2. That's a yes/no. Based on today, I think we can move to CFO now. Seems like discussion has evolved to endpoint. ON 239, agree with Roy.
18:13:31 [fielding]
no, we need text proposals for 1/3 before it can go to CFO
18:13:39 [npdoty]
we need to put the concrete text together on 241, and then see if there are different objections
18:13:54 [walter]
q+
18:14:11 [GSHans]
... this is about allowing one server to allow multiple pointers for compliance regimes. Trying to determine technical merits of approaching that appropriately.
18:14:18 [GSHans]
... but they are on two different discussion
18:14:21 [npdoty]
ack walter
18:14:36 [GSHans]
Walter: if a server invites multiple refs to multiple isssues, how does server know how to reconcile?
18:14:39 [WileyS]
+q
18:14:57 [WileyS]
-q (Roy said what I was going to)
18:14:59 [WileyS]
-1
18:15:04 [WileyS]
-q
18:15:06 [npdoty]
q- WileyS
18:15:11 [WileyS]
Roy said what I was going to
18:15:18 [Zakim]
-WaltMichel
18:15:41 [GSHans]
Fielding: currently, server complies with all. If there is a contradiction, they would be the origin servers fault for saying so. If there is an extreme contradiciont b/w regimes, sites will choose one or other, or will create another regime that will meld the reqs. What really matters here what users respect as compliance or not.
18:15:49 [GSHans]
q?
18:16:14 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: Will pursue both. NPDoty thinks that if we do 241, 239 will fall out of its own accord.
18:16:16 [GSHans]
NPDoty: Yes.
18:16:28 [WileyS]
I disagree - one does not solve the other
18:16:36 [GSHans]
Fielding: I think they are unrelated.
18:16:40 [walter]
I think WileyS is right, they seem unrelated
18:16:59 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: We'll proceed with 239 as we were, and Nick will try to structure 241 as well.
18:17:09 [GSHans]
... CFO for 239, and 241 we will structure for next week's discussion.
18:17:10 [npdoty]
it could be that I'm entirely crazy, and it's just that those who expressed objections were concerned about both
18:17:48 [GSHans]
NPdoty: 239 could do CFO next week; 241 shd have proposals by next week.
18:18:12 [GSHans]
CarlCargill: agenda is complete. We now have AOB.
18:18:12 [GSHans]
q?
18:18:24 [Zakim]
-Mike_Zaneis
18:18:26 [Zakim]
-walter
18:18:27 [GSHans]
<end>
18:18:28 [Zakim]
-[Mozilla]
18:18:28 [Zakim]
-ChrisPedigoOPA
18:18:30 [Zakim]
-Chapell
18:18:30 [Zakim]
-dwainberg
18:18:31 [Zakim]
-Ari
18:18:31 [Zakim]
-FPFJoeN
18:18:31 [Zakim]
-[CDT]
18:18:31 [Zakim]
-hefferjr
18:18:33 [Zakim]
-Joanne
18:18:33 [Zakim]
-eberkower
18:18:33 [Zakim]
-rvaneijk
18:18:34 [Zakim]
-hober
18:18:35 [Zakim]
-kulick
18:18:36 [Zakim]
-npdoty
18:18:36 [Zakim]
-vinay
18:18:37 [Zakim]
-Bryan_Sullivan
18:18:38 [Zakim]
-vincent
18:18:38 [kulick]
kulick has left #dnt
18:18:39 [Zakim]
-[IPcaller]
18:18:39 [Zakim]
-Brooks
18:18:39 [Zakim]
-Carl_Cargill
18:18:39 [Zakim]
-hwest
18:18:40 [Zakim]
-Ninja
18:18:43 [npdoty]
Zakim, list attendees
18:18:43 [Zakim]
As of this point the attendees have been RichardWeaver, Carl_Cargill, Wendy, GSHans, sidstamm, Ninja, Jack_Hobaugh, npdoty, Mike_Zaneis, hober, walter, Bryan_Sullivan, kulick,
18:18:47 [Zakim]
... eberkower, Peder_Magee, +1.617.766.aaaa, vincent, Jeff, [CDT], justin, Joanne, Fielding, ChrisPedigoOPA, hefferjr, vinay, WaltMichel, [IPcaller], [FTC], [Microsoft], adrianba,
18:18:47 [Zakim]
... WileyS, LeeTien, Chapell, FPFJoeN, Ari, Brooks, hwest, +31.65.275.aabb, rvaneijk, dwainberg
18:18:47 [Zakim]
-Wendy
18:18:47 [Zakim]
-Fielding
18:18:47 [Zakim]
-WileyS
18:18:56 [npdoty]
rrsagent, please draft the minutes
18:18:56 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/01/15-dnt-minutes.html npdoty
18:18:57 [Zakim]
-[Microsoft]
18:20:05 [Zakim]
-Jack_Hobaugh
18:28:43 [fielding]
fielding has joined #dnt
18:43:54 [Zakim]
-Jeff
18:43:55 [Zakim]
T&S_Track(dnt)12:00PM has ended
18:43:55 [Zakim]
Attendees were RichardWeaver, Carl_Cargill, Wendy, GSHans, sidstamm, Ninja, Jack_Hobaugh, npdoty, Mike_Zaneis, hober, walter, Bryan_Sullivan, kulick, eberkower, Peder_Magee,
18:43:55 [Zakim]
... +1.617.766.aaaa, vincent, Jeff, [CDT], justin, Joanne, Fielding, ChrisPedigoOPA, hefferjr, vinay, WaltMichel, [IPcaller], [FTC], [Microsoft], adrianba, WileyS, LeeTien,
18:43:56 [Zakim]
... Chapell, FPFJoeN, Ari, Brooks, hwest, +31.65.275.aabb, rvaneijk, dwainberg