Testing the Open Web Platform
Testing Lead • W3C
Who am I?
Some (hopefully) relevant background about me
- Originally a self taught front-end programmer.
- W3C AC Rep for Facebook.
- Coremob CG instigator, initial chair & spec editor.
- Tech lead and ad interim PM for Ringmark (rng.io).
- W3C Testing lead & Fellow (on behalf of Facebook).
Current State of browser testing
- Grass roots efforts
- WG test suites
- Browser vendor test suites
W3C WG test suites
- Focus on proving that the spec can be implemented, not on testing the implementations.
- Many specs still don't have one.
Browser vendor test suites
- Great but incomplete contributions from vendors.
- Little sharing of tests, if any.
- No common test framework until recently, so lots of legacy content.
- Not organized per specs, hard to know test coverage.
- Not always open-source.
Leads to "meh" interoperability.
Death by a thousand paper cuts.
New W3C Testing Effort
Focuses on thorough testing of user agents (aka browsers) to improve interoperability.
Depth: correct implementation of specs by user agents.
Breadth: union of the Coremob and Web+TV profiles.
Quite a big challenge in itself.
Who already wrote W3C tests?
- Test development
- Move all test suites to a single repository on GitHub:
- Streamline test contribution and review processes.
- Build tools to simplify test review.
- Consolidate and expand documentation.
- Overhaul test framework so it's easy to run tests and gather results.
- Collect test results and make them easily accessible to developers.
- Make it easy for browser vendors to run the test suite as part of their build system
- Browser vendor contributions
- Crowd-sourcing (notably through Test the Web Forward events)
- W3C fellowships
How you can help
- Learn how to write and review tests on testthewebforward.org.
- Contribute and review tests.
- Build tools on top of the data we're going to expose that help developers.
- Improve existing tools or tools we're building. Hey, they're open-source!
- Get your employer excited about the opportunity and help fund the effort or contribute fellows.