IRC log of gld on 2013-11-07

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:01:41 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #gld
15:01:41 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2013/11/07-gld-irc
15:01:43 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
15:01:43 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #gld
15:01:44 [sandro]
trackbot, start meeting
15:01:45 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be GLD
15:01:45 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot, I see T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM already started
15:01:46 [trackbot]
Meeting: Government Linked Data Working Group Teleconference
15:01:46 [trackbot]
Date: 07 November 2013
15:01:48 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
15:01:50 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be GLD
15:01:50 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot, I see T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM already started
15:01:51 [trackbot]
Meeting: Government Linked Data Working Group Teleconference
15:01:51 [trackbot]
Date: 07 November 2013
15:02:12 [fadmaa]
fadmaa has joined #gld
15:02:46 [fadmaa]
Zakim, who is here?
15:02:46 [Zakim]
On the phone I see no one
15:02:47 [Zakim]
On IRC I see fadmaa, Zakim, RRSAgent, HadleyBeeman, gatemezi, bhyland, TallTed, trackbot, sandro
15:03:22 [HadleyBeeman]
agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20131107
15:03:29 [HadleyBeeman]
scribe: fadmaa
15:03:39 [DaveReynolds]
DaveReynolds has joined #gld
15:03:53 [HadleyBeeman]
proposed: accept minutes from previous meeting http://www.w3.org/2013/meeting/gld/2013-10-31
15:06:39 [gatemezi]
+1 , thx Sandro
15:06:43 [sandro]
+1
15:07:08 [HadleyBeeman]
zakim, this is gld
15:07:08 [Zakim]
HadleyBeeman, this was already T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM
15:07:08 [sandro]
Zakim, who is on the phone?
15:07:09 [Zakim]
ok, HadleyBeeman; that matches T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM
15:07:09 [Zakim]
On the phone I see no one
15:07:27 [sandro]
+Sandro
15:07:30 [sandro]
Zakim, who is on the phone?
15:07:30 [Zakim]
On the phone I see no one
15:08:30 [fadmaa]
TOPIC: Data Cube
15:08:53 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: issue-69 there was an error in one of the queries
15:09:08 [fadmaa]
Zakim, mute me
15:09:08 [Zakim]
sorry, fadmaa, I do not know which phone connection belongs to you
15:10:07 [TallTed]
Zakim, code?
15:10:07 [Zakim]
the conference code is 45394 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 sip:zakim@voip.w3.org), TallTed
15:10:22 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: in practice this only affects dataset that has multiple cubes
15:10:42 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: this doesn't affect all the report we have so far
15:11:06 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: I proposed to the mailing list to accept this as editorial
15:11:24 [fadmaa]
... and propose to close issue 69
15:11:30 [fadmaa]
issue-69?
15:11:30 [trackbot]
issue-69 -- Typo in IC-8 rule -- raised
15:11:30 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/69
15:12:01 [fadmaa]
PROPOSAL: close issue 69 as editorial fix
15:12:18 [DaveReynolds]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-gld-wg/2013Nov/0007.html
15:12:25 [sandro]
PROPOSED: Close issue-69 as editorial fix, as per Dave's email http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-gld-wg/2013Nov/0007.html
15:12:29 [sandro]
+1
15:12:31 [fadmaa]
+1
15:12:32 [HadleyBeeman]
+1
15:12:32 [DaveReynolds]
+1
15:12:37 [gatemezi]
+1
15:12:42 [sandro]
RESOLVED: Close issue-69 as editorial fix, as per Dave's email http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-gld-wg/2013Nov/0007.html
15:12:46 [TallTed]
+1
15:13:06 [DaveReynolds]
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Data_Cube_Implementations
15:13:38 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: I have had a good response so far regarding implementation report on Data Cube as documented at http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Data_Cube_Implementations
15:13:59 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: we now have 5 full validated implementation report
15:15:07 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: at the bottom of the page we tracked "additional properties" that are not tested in the integrity checks
15:15:32 [fadmaa]
... all are used so far apart from HierarchicalCodeList
15:16:21 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: it was requested by some people but I haven't got any implementation report that use them
15:17:10 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: It is not part of the formal exit criteria to use each property
15:17:32 [fadmaa]
... but it would be worrisome not to have any implementation that use them
15:17:43 [HadleyBeeman]
… and Ralph/Thomas asked us to keep track of their use, in the transition meeting to CR
15:19:03 [fadmaa]
sandro: from a user perspective, it'd be helpful to have a note stating that this property is rarely used
15:19:09 [fadmaa]
... as people usually use SKOS
15:19:17 [bhyland]
bhyland has joined #gld
15:19:43 [DaveReynolds]
http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-data-cube/#schemes-hierarchy-nonskos
15:20:01 [DaveReynolds]
In the case where a code list is already available as a SKOS concept scheme or collection, or could reasonable me made so, then those should be used directly. qb:HierarchicalCodeList is provided for cases where the terms are not available as SKOS but are available in some other RDF representation suitable for reuse.
15:21:16 [HadleyBeeman]
zakim, pointer?
15:21:16 [Zakim]
I don't understand your question, HadleyBeeman.
15:21:18 [gatemezi]
q+
15:21:20 [HadleyBeeman]
trackbot, pointer?
15:21:20 [trackbot]
Sorry, HadleyBeeman, I don't understand 'trackbot, pointer?'. Please refer to <http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc> for help.
15:21:30 [HadleyBeeman]
RRSagent, pointer?
15:21:30 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2013/11/07-gld-irc#T15-21-30
15:21:53 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: we don't need to discuss this more now but I wanted to flag it
15:22:08 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: we can decide later on it in case we don't get any implementation report
15:22:51 [fadmaa]
gatemezi: can different hierarchies be mapped to a SKOS one?
15:23:01 [fadmaa]
... e.g. geographic
15:23:40 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: yes possible but skos narrower and broader are not always enough to cover all hierarchical relation such as overlap,
15:24:30 [fadmaa]
* sorry meant scribe
15:25:33 [HadleyBeeman]
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/open
15:25:51 [fadmaa]
HadleyBeeman: let's review open actions regarding Data Cube
15:26:12 [fadmaa]
... we have no open issues but a couple of actions
15:26:24 [sandro]
close action-102
15:26:25 [trackbot]
Closed action-102.
15:26:45 [sandro]
close action-142
15:26:45 [trackbot]
Closed action-142.
15:27:03 [sandro]
close action-151
15:27:03 [trackbot]
Closed action-151.
15:27:08 [fadmaa]
HadleyBeeman: actions 102, 142, 151 are all done and can be colsed
15:27:26 [fadmaa]
TOPIC: Org Vocabulary
15:27:51 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: I had a good response back during the last week
15:27:55 [DaveReynolds]
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/ORG_Implementations#Org_implementations
15:27:57 [HadleyBeeman]
s/colsed/closed
15:27:59 [fadmaa]
... regarding implementation reports
15:28:05 [gatemezi]
Congrats for all the feedback on ORG
15:28:31 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: I kept track of which terms are used by whom at http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/ORG_Implementations#Org_implementations
15:29:01 [fadmaa]
... some of them are planned to be used in the future
15:29:33 [fadmaa]
... we now have enough implementation reports
15:29:58 [fadmaa]
... however we don't have every term used by two implementations
15:30:07 [fadmaa]
... example subOrganizationOf
15:31:10 [fadmaa]
... what would be better in such case: keeping such terms and going to PR without implementation evidence or taking them out
15:31:26 [fadmaa]
sandro: we need to discuss that
15:31:41 [fadmaa]
sandro: this seems more for querying than for publishing for me
15:31:50 [fadmaa]
s/this/the term/
15:32:21 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: yes. for this particular term we can argue it is used indirectly
15:32:29 [fadmaa]
... not materialized
15:32:30 [TallTed]
+1 for that argument
15:33:05 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: this leaves the term OrganizationalCollaboration
15:33:29 [fadmaa]
... three groups said they plan to use
15:33:35 [fadmaa]
... but not currently
15:35:55 [fadmaa]
HadleyBeeman: do we still need to re-asses whether we change ORG to a note?
15:36:00 [fadmaa]
sandro: no
15:36:02 [HadleyBeeman]
actions: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/open
15:36:04 [fadmaa]
DaveReynolds: no
15:36:40 [fadmaa]
TOPIC: Best Practices
15:37:02 [fadmaa]
gatemezi: I sent an email detailing some closed issues
15:37:10 [sandro]
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/gld/raw-file/default/bp/index.html
15:37:41 [fadmaa]
gatemezi: we added some description to the open data lifecycle
15:37:44 [HadleyBeeman]
gatemezi's email: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-gld-wg/2013Nov/0017.html
15:38:19 [fadmaa]
gatemezi: not sure what to add to section 4 on using SKOS
15:38:20 [sandro]
q+ about respec and references
15:38:26 [fadmaa]
... need some input on this
15:38:27 [sandro]
q+ to talk about respec and references
15:38:59 [fadmaa]
HadleyBeeman: is the problem with the content or with the inclusion of that section in the first place?
15:39:14 [fadmaa]
gatemezi: mainly with the content
15:39:47 [fadmaa]
HadleyBeeman: why SKOS and not other vocabularies?
15:40:10 [sandro]
q+ to suggest dropping 5. Is your Linked Data Vocabulary 5-star?
15:40:42 [fadmaa]
HadleyBeeman: I'll leave it to the editors to decide as we have no input or suggestions currently from teh WG
15:40:47 [fadmaa]
s/teh/the/
15:40:59 [DaveReynolds]
Doesn't make much sense to me to have a section on how to use SKOS, that's a job for the SKOS documents. I would suggest dropping or just pointing out the relevance of skos and pointing to the docs.
15:42:24 [fadmaa]
+1 I also find it confusing
15:42:30 [DaveReynolds]
+1 to Sandro, keep "5 star" for linked data
15:42:31 [fadmaa]
especially the fifth star
15:42:32 [HadleyBeeman]
+1 me too
15:44:08 [fadmaa]
sandro: this seems to consider non-linkeddata vocabulary
15:44:20 [fadmaa]
... especially the first three stars
15:44:47 [fadmaa]
... having a mini checklist looks better though the next section seems to have that
15:45:26 [fadmaa]
gatemezi: we can take the stars off and change the style
15:45:31 [HadleyBeeman]
ack sandro
15:45:31 [Zakim]
sandro, you wanted to talk about respec and references and to suggest dropping 5. Is your Linked Data Vocabulary 5-star?
15:46:22 [HadleyBeeman]
email exchange re respec: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-gld-wg/2013Nov/0003.html
15:46:29 [fadmaa]
sandro: with the new respec we use only one global bibliography
15:46:49 [fadmaa]
... the BP document seems to still use the old version of respec
15:47:23 [sandro]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-gld-wg/2013Nov/0005.html
15:47:36 [sandro]
(explanation of shared biblio)
15:47:37 [HadleyBeeman]
https://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/6
15:47:44 [sandro]
issue-6?
15:47:44 [trackbot]
issue-6 -- How should publishers figure out good URIs for properties with non-literal ranges? -- raised
15:47:44 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/6
15:48:03 [fadmaa]
q+
15:48:20 [HadleyBeeman]
ack fadmaa
15:49:07 [fadmaa]
gatemezi: issue still open
15:50:29 [sandro]
close action-86
15:50:29 [trackbot]
Closed action-86.
15:50:42 [sandro]
close action-87
15:50:42 [trackbot]
Closed action-87.
15:50:46 [sandro]
close action-88
15:50:46 [trackbot]
Closed action-88.
15:50:55 [fadmaa]
HadleyBeeman: we just discussed action 86 it can be closed
15:51:01 [sandro]
close action-95
15:51:01 [trackbot]
Closed action-95.
15:51:03 [sandro]
close action-103
15:51:03 [trackbot]
Closed action-103.
15:51:27 [sandro]
close action-143
15:51:27 [trackbot]
Closed action-143.
15:52:01 [sandro]
close action-152
15:52:02 [trackbot]
Closed action-152.
15:52:03 [sandro]
close action-153
15:52:03 [trackbot]
Closed action-153.
15:52:07 [fadmaa]
TOPIC: DCAT
15:52:38 [DaveReynolds]
Yes, congratulations on getting DCAT through to CR!
15:54:08 [HadleyBeeman]
fadmaa: Can we change the description of properties in the document? Can we still do editorial changes?
15:54:30 [HadleyBeeman]
Sandro: yes, as long as it's not going to change any implementations or make anyone unhappy with the document.
15:55:05 [HadleyBeeman]
fadmaa: Okay, there are two things. DCAT doesn't support versioning and we won't be adding it. There was a suggestion to clarify the description of lastUpdate. I'll ask again for feedback.
15:56:01 [HadleyBeeman]
… Second: Comments from Leigh Dodds: I've partially addressed his concerns. He'd still like links next to each term with possible value to be used. Ex: for countries, possibly could be used with geonames.
15:56:38 [HadleyBeeman]
… Do you think it's a good idea to include links next to each property of possible values to be used with that property?
15:57:16 [HadleyBeeman]
gatemezi: Should that go into the BP doc? We aren't recommending geonames.
15:57:30 [HadleyBeeman]
Sandro: We can put a link as long as using that vocabulary isn't required. It's a non-normative reference.
15:57:51 [HadleyBeeman]
gatemezi: In that case, for me — it's okay.
15:57:53 [sandro]
sandro: Not telling people what they SHOULD or MUST do, just something they MIGHT do.
15:58:16 [HadleyBeeman]
fadmaa: My concern is that this might result in a long discussion without clear criteria on how to select these.
15:59:10 [HadleyBeeman]
Hadley: I'm concerned about the time we have left
15:59:20 [HadleyBeeman]
fadmaa: Okay, I'll reply to Leigh about this.
15:59:41 [fadmaa]
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/DCAT_Implementations
16:00:11 [HadleyBeeman]
… most of the implementations on the table are using an older version. I have a few people promising to update their implementations.
16:00:26 [HadleyBeeman]
… Things aren't as bright as for ORG and Data Cube, but I think we have enough to meet CR criteria.
16:00:46 [HadleyBeeman]
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/open
16:01:12 [HadleyBeeman]
action-69?
16:01:12 [trackbot]
action-69 -- Richard Cyganiak to Create wiki page for void-dcat mapping -- due 2012-05-10 -- OPEN
16:01:12 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/69
16:01:45 [HadleyBeeman]
fadmaa: People are asking about this. We don't have it documented anywhere.
16:02:10 [HadleyBeeman]
sandro: this action reminds me of the table on the schema.org version of the DCAT page which compares all three terminologies. I found that useful.
16:02:42 [fadmaa]
http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Datasets
16:02:43 [sandro]
http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Datasets
16:02:45 [DaveReynolds]
http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Datasets#Related_vocabularies
16:03:11 [HadleyBeeman]
… ADMS is there too. I don't know how accurate this is...
16:03:27 [HadleyBeeman]
fadmaa: DCAT datasets and VoiD datasets may not be the same.
16:03:48 [HadleyBeeman]
sandro: this may be the subject of a blog post or something. Would be useful to have written authoritatviely.
16:04:44 [HadleyBeeman]
action fadi to draft a blog post for the W3C semantic web blog or working group note comparing DCAT, VOID (and possibly schema.org and ADMS)
16:04:44 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-154 - Draft a blog post for the w3c semantic web blog or working group note comparing dcat, void (and possibly schema.org and adms) [on Fadi Maali - due 2013-11-14].
16:05:24 [HadleyBeeman]
gatemezi: Fadi, you can ask for other vocabularies maybe that people might use?
16:05:35 [HadleyBeeman]
fadmaa: not sure if that should go in the same blog post.
16:06:00 [sandro]
close action-69
16:06:00 [trackbot]
Closed action-69.
16:06:37 [sandro]
action-77?
16:06:37 [trackbot]
action-77 -- Fadi Maali to Include text in DCAT to point to the BP doc, with link to the issue in the interim -- due 2013-05-30 -- OPEN
16:06:37 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/77
16:07:38 [HadleyBeeman]
fadmaa: if the BP doc include guidance on how to select values for properties, then linking would be useful.
16:07:44 [HadleyBeeman]
sandro: we can't link until it's published.
16:07:59 [HadleyBeeman]
… so we should keep this action open until bp is published and see.
16:08:58 [sandro]
close action-108
16:08:58 [trackbot]
Closed action-108.
16:09:08 [sandro]
action-112?
16:09:08 [trackbot]
action-112 -- Fadi Maali to Organize a call with people who are able to help resolve open DCAT issues. -- due 2013-04-18 -- OPEN
16:09:08 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/actions/112
16:09:12 [sandro]
close action-112
16:09:12 [trackbot]
Closed action-112.
16:09:30 [sandro]
close action-120
16:09:30 [trackbot]
Closed action-120.
16:09:52 [sandro]
close action-124
16:09:52 [trackbot]
Closed action-124.
16:10:07 [sandro]
close action-140
16:10:07 [trackbot]
Closed action-140.
16:10:34 [sandro]
close action-144
16:10:34 [trackbot]
Closed action-144.
16:10:40 [sandro]
close action-146
16:10:41 [trackbot]
Closed action-146.
16:11:08 [sandro]
close action-150
16:11:08 [trackbot]
Closed action-150.
16:11:56 [DaveReynolds]
DaveReynolds has left #gld
16:12:05 [sandro]
close action-122
16:12:05 [trackbot]
Closed action-122.
16:12:22 [HadleyBeeman]
sandro, tell Zakim I hope he's feeling better soon. :)
16:12:27 [sandro]
:)
16:12:30 [Zakim]
T&S_GLDWG()10:00AM has ended
16:12:31 [Zakim]
Attendees were
16:13:42 [fadmaa]
RRSAgent, make minutes public
16:13:42 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'make minutes public', fadmaa. Try /msg RRSAgent help
16:13:55 [fadmaa]
RRSAgent, generate minutes
16:13:55 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2013/11/07-gld-minutes.html fadmaa
18:07:20 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #gld
21:36:47 [bhyland]
bhyland has joined #gld