IRC log of xproc on 2013-08-21

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:55:29 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #xproc
13:55:29 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2013/08/21-xproc-irc
13:55:33 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #xproc
13:55:41 [Norm]
zakim, this will be xproc
13:55:41 [Zakim]
ok, Norm; I see XML_PMWG()10:00AM scheduled to start in 5 minutes
13:55:51 [Norm]
rrsagent, set logs world-visible
13:55:51 [Norm]
Meeting: XML Processing Model WG
13:55:51 [Norm]
Agenda: http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2013/08/21-agenda
13:55:51 [Norm]
Date: 21 August 2013
13:55:51 [Norm]
Meeting: 235
13:55:51 [Norm]
Chair: Norm
13:55:51 [Norm]
Scribe: Norm
13:55:52 [Norm]
ScribeNick: Norm
13:57:57 [Norm]
zakim, passcode?
13:57:57 [Zakim]
the conference code is 97762 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 sip:zakim@voip.w3.org), Norm
13:58:04 [Zakim]
XML_PMWG()10:00AM has now started
13:58:11 [Zakim]
+Norm
13:58:28 [Norm]
Norm has changed the topic to: XProc Agenda http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2013/08/21-agenda
14:00:40 [jf_2013]
coming
14:00:52 [Zakim]
+Jeroen
14:01:40 [Zakim]
+ +420.6.026.9.aaaa
14:02:03 [Zakim]
+Alex_Milows
14:02:03 [Norm]
zakim, aaaa is jf_2013
14:02:04 [Zakim]
+jf_2013; got it
14:03:04 [Vojtech]
Vojtech has joined #xproc
14:04:00 [Norm]
Topic: Accept this agenda?
14:04:00 [Norm]
-> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2013/08/21-agenda
14:04:07 [Norm]
Present: Norm, Vojtech, Jim, Alex
14:04:16 [Norm]
Accepted, as ammended
14:04:21 [Norm]
Topic: Accept minutes from the previous meeting?
14:04:21 [Norm]
-> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/2013/07/24-minutes
14:04:29 [Norm]
Accepted.
14:04:36 [Norm]
Topic: Next meeting: 28 August 2013 or at the face-to-face
14:05:07 [Norm]
Next meeting: 28 August 2013
14:05:16 [Norm]
Topic: Review of open action items
14:05:27 [Norm]
A-217-03 completed
14:05:42 [Norm]
A-231-02 completed
14:06:02 [Norm]
A-228-01 overtaken by events
14:06:35 [Norm]
Topic: Face to face prep, updated requirements and use cases document
14:06:43 [Norm]
-> http://www.w3.org/XML/XProc/docs/requirements-v2-jim.html
14:08:36 [Norm]
Norm walks through section 4
14:09:03 [Norm]
Jim: I added the ????-mark items in section 4.10 from other lists I had
14:11:17 [Norm]
Some discussion of p:empty and whether or not it's needed.
14:11:29 [jf_2013]
Alex orig email on empty http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-processing-model-wg/2013Aug/0000.html
14:11:31 [Norm]
It's used in parameter input ports, but those are going away
14:11:42 [Norm]
Alex: I also use it in p:document
14:11:53 [Norm]
...Now that I've been reminded why we need it, I guess it's ok.
14:16:36 [Norm]
Norm: All of the 4.x items are marked must/should except for 4.9; let's mark 4.9 must
14:17:32 [Norm]
Norm: Let's move "allow multiple p:catch" up to its own top-level item, marked "should"
14:18:17 [Norm]
Norm; So. Is that everything. More to the point, if that's all we did, would it be a success?
14:19:50 [Norm]
Alex: Let's pull AVTs out as its own "must" thing. All the other syntactic simplifications are "shoulds"
14:19:52 [Norm]
Norm: Yes, I agree.
14:21:50 [Norm]
Norm: Off topic, but for the minutes, wrt loading extension functions, the spec currently says "thou shalt not", I think we may want to soften that.
14:24:40 [Norm]
Some discussion of importing function libraries
14:24:51 [Norm]
Jim: I think the goal is to allow for reuse of existing libraries.
14:26:31 [Norm]
Norm: Well, I think it's also about allowing pipeline authors to write their own functions in p:when test expressions.
14:26:58 [Norm]
ACTION: A-235-01 Alex to provide a use case for the extension library item
14:27:26 [Norm]
Vojtech: Someone once asked about using XProc steps as XPath functions.
14:27:37 [Norm]
...Maybe we could allow functions to be created from XProc pipelines.
14:28:45 [Norm]
Alex: Certainly, in my particular use case, I can do what I want with steps. But it's heavyweight.
14:28:56 [Norm]
Norm: I think mapping steps to functions is an interesting idea.
14:29:57 [Norm]
Alex: I wonder if we can find the message where that was requested.
14:32:21 [Norm]
Alex: With respect to the extension library, if loading them was implementation defined, it would be nice if there was some way to make the dependency explicit, in metadata, perhaps.
14:33:57 [jfuller_2013]
jfuller_2013 has joined #xproc
14:34:13 [jfuller_2013]
Norm's cx:import reference http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-processing-model-wg/2013Aug/0031.html
14:35:36 [Norm]
Norm: Back to face-to-face planning
14:35:49 [Norm]
...It sounds like we're happy with these requirements
14:36:28 [Norm]
...Coming out of the f2f, I want a publishable requirements documents
14:37:50 [Norm]
Alex: I'd like to be done before TPAC
14:40:47 [jfuller_2013]
another link for ext funcs http://norman.walsh.name/2013/08/20/extensionFunctions
14:47:15 [Norm]
Some discussion of XML processor profiles
14:48:25 [Norm]
Jim: Would it help if we matched each profile with a concrete example?
14:48:36 [Norm]
Alex: Maybe, but let's review the comments more carefully before we add work to our plate
14:49:18 [Norm]
Vojtech: Right, but if we add more perspective, then we run the risk of introducing new areas of contention
14:54:05 [Norm]
Alex: It would be nice to arrive at the f2f with a concrete list of issues to address.
14:55:38 [Norm]
Topic: Any other business?
14:55:45 [Norm]
None heard.
14:55:47 [Norm]
Adjourned.
14:55:54 [Norm]
rrsagent, set logs world-visible
14:55:55 [Zakim]
-Jeroen
14:55:56 [Zakim]
-jf_2013
14:55:56 [Zakim]
-Alex_Milows
14:55:57 [Norm]
rrsagent, draft minutes
14:55:57 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2013/08/21-xproc-minutes.html Norm
14:56:01 [Zakim]
-Norm
14:56:03 [Zakim]
XML_PMWG()10:00AM has ended
14:56:03 [Zakim]
Attendees were Norm, Jeroen, +420.6.026.9.aaaa, Alex_Milows, jf_2013
15:27:22 [Norm]
Norm has joined #xproc
16:27:23 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #xproc