W3C

- DRAFT -

MMI Workshop - Day2

23 Jul 2013

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Regrets
Chair
SV_MEETING_CHAIR
Scribe
dadahl

Contents


Discussion of next steps

Discovery and registration of components (Raj Tumuluri for Helena)

<kaz> slides

<kaz> sheau: question on WG's activity

<kaz> dahl,jim,raj,kaz: explains

<kaz> @@@w3c-groups@@@

<kaz> wy: question on the difference between WG and IG/BG/CG

<kaz> kaz: explains that only WGs can generate W3C Rec track document

<kaz> @@@relationship-between-groups@@@

Future EMMA use cases (Michael Johnston)

<kaz> slides TBD

<kaz> wy: user biometrics?

<kaz> michaelJ: EMMA payload could be biometrics information

<kaz> ... the question is if there are things we can do to make it more useful?

<kaz> ... speech rec results and biometrics info can be packed

<kaz> wy: relationship with OASIS's work?

<kaz> ddahl: would like to see the other specifications on biometrics and think about compatibility with them

<kaz> michaelJ: ideally IM should concentrate on dialog management but should not handle concrete data

<kaz> wy: think there might be some clarification by OASIS

MMI.next (Kazuyuki Ashimura)

<kaz> kaz: mentions menlo park model and secure vault

<kaz> ... and then explains some idea on MMI.next

<kaz> ... MMI over WebSocket library

<kaz> ... and realtime connection between IM and MCs

<kaz> sheau: three IMs?

<kaz> ddahl: WebSocket connection?

<kaz> kaz: 30 time faster than polling

TV Anywhere - Peter from NBCUniversal

<kaz> peter: presents slides

<kaz> ... MVPD or DVD

<kaz> ... Netflix, Amazon, etc.

<kaz> ... multiple devices and multiple services

<kaz> ... authentication and authorization by third party

<kaz> ... many scenarios

<kaz> ... consumer may use more than one services

<kaz> kaz: question on quality of content

<kaz> ... can I watch updated clearer (e.g., HD remastered) version of a movie if I have a contract on low resolution version?

<kaz> peter: don't think any clear consistency

<kaz> sheau: consumer may have contracts with several providers, e.g., Netflix and hulu

<kaz> ... service is on-demand basis

<bevcorwin> And integration of free, open content like YouTube? Self publishers of content?

Breakout sessions on selected new directions

Preliminary discussion

<kaz> ddahl: interested topics?

<kaz> - Service/Device Discovery

<kaz> - Specific Industry Snapshots (Use Cases)

<kaz> - Related Standards such as Biometrics (FIDO, ECHONET Lite)

<kaz> - Output

<kaz> - Timing - Cross-device, Time zones

<kaz> - HTML5 Integration

<kaz> - Streaming

Prioritization

<kaz> - Service/Device Discovery: 9

<kaz> - Specific Industry Snapshots (Use Cases): 5

<kaz> - Related Standards (FIDO, ECHONET Lite): 3

<kaz> - Output: 7

<kaz> - Timing - Cross-device, Time zones: 4

<kaz> - HTML5 Integration: 9

<kaz> - Streaming: 5

<kaz> ddahl: Let's start with "Service Discovery"

Service/Devices Discovery

<kaz> ddahl: the MMI WG published a WG Note on discovery

<kaz> ... public information like flight info at airports...

<kaz> jim: walking around within home and devices follow us

<kaz> Use Cases:

<kaz> - Devices become part of group in work place

<kaz> - Second screen

<kaz> - Sensors

<kaz> - Medical devices

<kaz> Requirements for Service Discovery:

<kaz> - Very transient services

<kaz> Publishing capabilities

<kaz> - Publisher/Subscriber model

<kaz> - Semantic matching

<kaz> - Capability, Availability, Privilege

<kaz> - Web/Cloud service discovery

<kaz> - Is there a service discovery module?

<kaz> - Service discovery on top of device discovery

<kaz> - Clarify device vs service discovery

<kaz> - Role of Web Service Description Language (WSDL)

<kaz> - Clarify API vs Capability description

<kaz> - Brokering/Privilege

<kaz> - User-initiated vs App-initiated

<kaz> - Semantic Web services

<kaz> - We can't define APIs or capabilities but we can define where to go (like DNS)

<kaz> - Need to coordinate with other groups wrking on Device APIs

<kaz> - Relation to Web Intents?

<kaz> - Role of registry service?

<kaz> - Look at DLNA and ECHONET

<kaz> - IPTV document

<kaz> - Web&TV IG Home Network TF, Media APIs TF - should coordinate

<kaz> ddahl: who is interested?

<kaz> - Raj, Ram, Kaz

<kaz> - Sheau (need to check about possible IP issue)

<kaz> How to move forward?

<kaz> - Possible joint task force between the MMI WG and the Web&TV IG

<kaz> ddahl: good discussion on discovery

<kaz> ... will talk about the other topics after lunch

<kaz> [group photo]

<kaz> [lunch]

html5 integration

kaz: use cases
... second screen

debbie: voice-enabled personal assistant

myra: connected TV

ram: browser that takes multiple inputs
... input from other modalities, like cameras

jimB: this is a specific case of the general problem of getting html5 to be a modality component

<scribe> scribe:dadahl

debbie: what if the browser contains the interaction manager?

sheau: synchronizing across html browsers across different devices

debbie: also synchronizing with non-html displays

masao: compatibility between html5 and Echonet

jimB: in contact centers we have the problem of shared browsers, sort of works, but is proprietary

sheau: our use cases require millisecond coordination

kaz: this also gets into timing issues
... also processing order issues

debbie: sometimes you would need really fast communication between the client and the server, so Web Sockets is a good protocol for that
... fast communication is necessary for games

kaz: sports games, like soccer

debbie: what if it takes 5 seconds to kick?

Myra: found Ajax better than Web Sockets because of scalability and firewalls, has Web Sockets improved in those areas?

ram: we have used Web Sockets in some of our implementations
... challenge is getting html gui to get adequate performance without taking up too much cpu
... html 5 is still not there
... javascript is still too slow even with Web Sockets
... no state machine tools for html5, need to use native tools

kaz: like Java or C
... how to make it easy for web developers to use MMI life-cycle events?
... and SCXML
... some developers prefer to use Javascript

ram: some Javascript frameworks have UI binding

sheau: if someone has UML, can that be turned into SCXML?

jimB: if you have a state machine, yes, but not directly from a class diagram. we tried to stick to the UML semantics in designing SCXML

amy: could you go to classes from SCXML

jimB: you would lose some information that way because SCXML is more detailed
... you could go from UML to SCXML, you could also take SCXML and turn it into UML, but couldn't guarantee that it would be the same SCXML
... the UML would just be a visualization tool

kaz: next steps or action items?
... Javascript libraries
... there is some work going on in the Japanese chapter

jimB: what could we do with the HTML5 WG and what could we do on our own?

debbie: we could provide pointers to open source libraries

jimB: SCXML is open source

debbie: could provide the mmi library and the emma library from my demo yesterday

raj: Cueme libraries

debbie: put together a web page on the MMI website listing resources

<scribe> ACTION: kazuyuki to put together a page of resources for mmi [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/23-multimodal-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-347 - Put together a page of resources for mmi [on Kazuyuki Ashimura - due 2013-07-30].

craig: iSpeech would probably be interested but need to find someone more on the technical side

debbie: if we could get the web page together by August 18 I could talk about it during my SpeechTEK session.

wrapup

kaz: the original point of this workshop was to highlight W3C standards, especially MMI standards
... the highest priority was service discovery, also html5 integration, related standards, output, and timing, maybe the MMI Working Group can publish some WG Notes
... also bring some requirements to EMMA and MMI Architecture
... there is a possibility to create a new business group

debbie: what would be the topic?

kaz: service discovery, industry use cases, related standards, timing issues

sheau: the BG would focus on generating requirements

debbie: industrial requirements for multimodal interaction could be a name

sheau: this would be independent of the WG?

jimB: yes

amy: industry-driven requirements for MMI interaction

debbie: what is the process for a BG?

kaz: (reviews W3C Patent Policy)
... business group procedure is a bit different -- the IP commitment is made by each person
... because the BG doesn't create any Recommendation-track documents
... a WG starts with a charter
... a BG doesn't necessarily start with a charter, it might just describe some topics of interest
... need at least 5 companies to start a BG
... non-member companies can join a BG, but you have to pay a BG group fee
... small companies pay $2000, large company pays $10,000 and individual pays $300 (only for non-member companies)

(some discussion of Patent Policy) the upshot is to consult lawyers before joining BG if concerned

kaz: more webinars?

debbie: more webinars on technical topics, service discovery would be a good topic

raj: should invite industry experts

sheau: have many perspectives, could also invite Web and TV IG people

kaz: joint meeting with MMI and Web and TV at upcoming TPAC meeting

ram: would be interested in participating in service discovery webinar

debbie: everyone should join the MMI public list

<scribe> ACTION:raj to organize webinar on service registration and discovery for mmi applications [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/23-multimodal-minutes.html#action02]

<scribe> ACTION: raj to organize webinar on service registration and discovery for mmi applications [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/23-multimodal-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-348 - Organize webinar on service registration and discovery for mmi applications [on Raj Tumuluri - due 2013-07-30].

<scribe> ACTION: kaz to send information about subscribing to mailing list [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/23-multimodal-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-349 - Send information about subscribing to mailing list [on Kazuyuki Ashimura - due 2013-07-30].

amy: is there a way to reduce the fee for pre-revenue companies?

debbie: there is also the idea of a community group, which is free

kaz: that is possible
... thanks everyone

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: kaz to send information about subscribing to mailing list [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/23-multimodal-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: kazuyuki to put together a page of resources for mmi [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/23-multimodal-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: raj to organize webinar on service registration and discovery for mmi applications [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/23-multimodal-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: raj to organize webinar on service registration and discovery for mmi applications [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/23-multimodal-minutes.html#action03]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-07-23 19:06:49 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/@@@figure/@@@relationship-between-groups@@@/
Succeeded: s/@@@figure/@@@w3c-groups@@@/
Succeeded: s/are there/the question is if there are/
Succeeded: s/@@@/peter/
Succeeded: s/Anywhere/Anywhere - Peter from NBCUniversal/
Succeeded: s|Service|Service/Device|
Succeeded: s/Standards/Standards such as Biometrics/
Succeeded: s|Service|Service/Devices|
Succeeded: s/Intents/Intents?/
Succeeded: s/registry/registry service/
Succeeded: s/Joint/Possible joint/
Succeeded: s/how to/to/
Succeeded: s/document/documents/
Found Scribe: dadahl
Inferring ScribeNick: dadahl

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Myra Ryosuke amy bevcorwin craig ddahl debbie jim jimB kaz masao michaelJ peter raj ram sheau trackbot wy yoshiaki
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy


WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Got date from IRC log name: 23 Jul 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/07/23-multimodal-minutes.html
People with action items: kaz kazuyuki raj

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]