W3C

- DRAFT -

Site Redesign Task Force

14 May 2013

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Regrets
Kelly
Chair
SV_MEETING_CHAIR
Scribe
Ian

Contents


<dorian> yeah one moment

<dorian> phone is plugged in and on a short leash

Last review of draft survey

IJ: Heads-up we plan to launch real soon now

<lcreekmo> I liked the comments so far. I don't think I have anything else to add to that.

<bevcorwin> Hello

Q. any prefs between related question on same slide, or split if #2 depends on #2 with better tie-in?

a) same page

b) two pages w/ dependency

<troy> B

Ian: (b)

<bevcorwin> B

<lcreekmo> b is fine with me

Any other questions or comments for this meeting?

<dorian> i spent a considerable amount of time fighting with the first page

<dorian> yeah what bev just said

<lcreekmo> I was in Chrome and had to fill in a few answers on some pages but not all.

<dorian> plus if you aren't sure what the difference between a working/interest/community/business group is that's confusing

<troy> i went through the whole survey with FF as my browser, no issue

Bug: If you check none with no comment, it fails

<dorian> like there's a lot of w3c-peculiar terminology on the first page

<lcreekmo> I did want a reminder about the audience for that reason, dorian. Language might be too inside-baseball [without explanations].

IJ: I will say that we ned to clarify that "other" implies you _have_ to put a comment
... or make extra comment optional

PLan for survey:

- launch 15 or 16 May for 2 weeks

- IJ will announce via twitter

Q. Blog post or home page news item?

- add a comment to the ALA column on this project

- home page news item

- membership as well

- chairs list

IJ: Someone want to post over in IAI

Laura: I can do that.

…forward me the email you send to other groups.

IJ: I will be sure we have a clear signal when survey open and ready

Activities while site survey is going on

http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/SiteRedesign#Resources

a) What do we do next with our rough inventory of W3C content?

b) Are there other sites we should take inspiration from for w3.org?

Troy: we could look at commercial sites that have large repositories of information.

…e.g., Oracle, or SAP, or Intel

<dorian> they can?

<dorian> haha

…people are able to come in and quickly find information.

<bevcorwin> OWASP.org

Troy: IEEE? Imax?
... could be useful for what we want or don't want to do.

Laura: Github

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page

<troy> wimax (instead of imax)

https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/ipr

https://www.oasis-open.org/

<dorian> and a lobster

http://www.awwwards.com/

<bevcorwin> www.worldpulse.com

Bev: They have a good learning model

Dorian: W3C is sort of its own archetype

<lcreekmo> For that matter, TED.com has an interesting asset design model.

…I think organizations have modeled on W3C rather than the other way around

<lcreekmo> http://ted.com

…as for the content of w3.org, it would be interesting to me to assign a temporality horizon to the major clusters of content

…specs, news, etc.

…the idea there is to organize it based on long some stuff is meant to persist

<lcreekmo> +1 on that, Ian!!

…the home page is a funny creature because it is mostly a brochure or sales thing for the board of directors

<bevcorwin> Iconathon: http://blog.thenounproject.com/post/50350240045/cultural-heritage-iconathon

…another interesting perspective is that the home page may be less valuable if people get to key content through search engines; that's a perspective of http://stackoverflow.com/

<troy> i have to drop.

Dorian: I think the home page can have a lot more space.

http://www.upassoc.org/

Dorian: Heads-up on cramming stuff onto the home apge
... we should think about the behavioral aspects and strategic choices.

<bevcorwin> DDF: https://tools.codice.org/wiki/display/DDF/Distributed+Data+Framework+Home

<lcreekmo> I will say, I am finally almost finished with my content strategy thoughts :) and I will include some thoughts about what we can do with that mini-, high-level inventory we have. I'll get that to you this week, Ian.

tx

<bevcorwin> Great Laura! :-)

IJ: We can think about the org as:

- solutiosn for businesses

- developer solutions (and that sub site can grow)

- the standards and processes for creating them

models

- the organization

<bevcorwin> documented methodologies, maturities, visions, etc.

- what is the web platform

- what are the services we provide (standards, testing, dev documentation, training, ….)

<bevcorwin> yes, the leadership role the W3C plays with the web, globally, etc.

<dorian> have subdomains been discussed?

<dorian> e.g. validator.w3.org

<dorian> there seems to be "web app dev" and "everything else"

<bevcorwin> relationship models w/ other standards orgs?

<dorian> html5/css/dom/etc vs say, rdf or wai

<bevcorwin> SDB

<bevcorwin> SDN

<bevcorwin> IETF

Robin: Having gone through this with our team…we struggled with "what we do"...

<dorian> and frankly the semantic web stuff is a lot more interesting to the rest of the world that doesn't make whizzbang web apps

<dorian> eg biotech who loves that stuff

Robin: …we had to convince our leadership that we need to use plain languag

<bevcorwin> Where does the W3C live in the webs many dimensions?

<lcreekmo> Robin, I'm with you. The plainer the language the better, but "experts" always have to be shown why that's so.

<dorian> ian yes re verticals

<bevcorwin> Multi modal, multi dimensional, multi media, etc.?

IJ: Could do something like this:

- want to use the web

- want to add to the wb

<lcreekmo> Ian, I think that's a nice idea. You probably want to give people a way to dive deep immediately if they know what they want. but I'm betting most visitors don't know exactly what they need from you.

- want to see how the web is affecting my industry

Robin: You are missing the vision piece

…and you need a fast track for people who visit the site frequently

<bevcorwin> Intelligent, knowledge space

<bevcorwin> I love white boards!

[panasonic virtual white board]

http://www.idroo.com/ ?

<rginn> content mapping exercise

content mapping

Robin: You can create carousels on a rotation basis...

Bev: Configurable is nice based on preferences

<lcreekmo> I've got to jump off!

Bev: Can we have a content conversation at some point?

IJ: please send comments to the list

Proposed next meeting - 21 May

<dorian> machines first that's a jaron lanier thing

<dorian> also: REST, RDF(a)

[On content for machines first]

http://bibliontology.com/

<dorian> http://bibotools.googlecode.com/svn/bibo-ontology/trunk/doc/classes/Standard___-2089222601.html

…you can tag things…sort content based on what content is.

<bevcorwin> IETF's user preferences would work with Dorian's ideas.. would be very interesting to design w/ W3C MMI and IETF's

<dorian> data source comes from an rdf triplestore

<dorian> e.g. virtuoso

<dorian> (just fyi)

<dorian> http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/

<dorian> sparql endpoint ;)

<bevcorwin> Tool box?

<bevcorwin> Web framework challenge

http://www.w3.org/2001/11/StdLiaison

Available next week?

<bevcorwin> +1

<dorian> yes

<dorian> +1

<rginn> yes, but starting at 2 pm PT??

<bevcorwin> I can help other times, too, anyone feel free to ping me if needed, on Skype: bevcorwin

4pm ET ok?

5pm ET?

<dorian> i'm pacific

<bevcorwin> I'm Eastern NYC

proposed: 15:30-16:40 ET

resolved

<bevcorwin> ok

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-05-14 21:47:15 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/IJ:/Troy:/
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: Ian
Inferring Scribes: Ian

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Bev Bev_Corwin Bug DDF Dorian_Taylor IJ Ian Iconathon Laura Microsoft Robin also bevcorwin dorian https lcreekmo proposed rginn troy
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Regrets: Kelly
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-site-design/2013May/0010.html

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Got date from IRC log name: 14 May 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/05/14-site-design-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]