W3C

Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

17 Apr 2013

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Shadi, Justin, Annika, Vivienne, Markel, Christos, Luz, Simon
Regrets
Giorgio, Markku, Yeliz, Yahya, Klaus, Peter, Silvia, David
Chair
Simon
Scribe
Markel

Contents


F-2-F Meeting Status (Update to the Dist. List)

SAZ: we did not get the confirmation for a room, we passed the 4 week deadline notification
... so we can't have a f2f meeting
... if any room was available we could arrange a sub meeting but it wouldn't be a formal meeting
... any question on this?

LR: if we still need a room I can check availability in PUC Rio
... PUC is in the same area although not very close
... PUC campus is in the middle of a rainforest

SAZ: who would be able to make it for such a meeting? Traffic is quite jammed..

<Vivienne> I'd still like to try

SAZ: any reaction?

<Justin> too hard for me

<Luz> Yes. I agree about the informal location

MV: since it is an informal meeting we could arrange it in an informal location

<Vivienne> If we could meet at the hotel where the conference is, that wuld be good.

<Luz> Ok

SAZ: agree that most people would be around the conference area; regarding the informal meeting we still need to work

I think we first need an agenda

SAZ: SH would have a better answer on the overview of the ongoing/forthcoming work
... is there any deliverable that would a candidate for such a meeting?

SH: nothing springs to mind..if we talk about prioritisation we need the agreement of the group
... maybe we can organise an event so that we can attract new people to the group
... I think it is a good idea to make it informal
... also, I don't know who is going to ASSETS, in october

http://www.sigaccess.org/assets13/

SAZ: we can make a poll for that
... any other thoughts on this?

Metrics W3C Note Status (Update to the Dist. List)

<sharper> ack

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/note/ED-metrics-20130325

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/note/ED-metrics

SAZ: finally, put the latest draft online
... these are already editors draft
... there were some comment by Annika that improved the note
... on the coordination group, we informed that we are going ahead with this
... the publication steps are going to be taken on the following days

Charter Discussions (10m)

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/charter4

SH: I want to open this to anybody and maybe SAZ can tell us why a charter exists and which purpose does it have

SAZ: the charter describes the scope and work of the group shaped as deliverables, milestones…basically why W3C is spending resources in this. Also it describes the profile of people that might be interested in joing, dependencies, communication protocols etc
... this is the 2nd charter. We learned a lot in the first charter, the wiki is fed and there's lots of background work done.
... we need a charter updated, which we agree on. We need the approval of the W3C so that they agree on devoting resources on the group.

SH: is this all?

SAZ: there might be some thing missing, I'll recheck

SH: we have to see how the brainstorming discussions, research topics to discuss will fit
... you got the timelines and milestones last week from me
... does anybody want to say about the charter, especially about new things to add?

<Vivienne> I'm fine

I guess silence means agreement

SH: I guess silence means agreement
... we will present the charter back to the group through email and it'll be discussed in the group

SAZ: if people refresh the link above it should be updated

SH: we will get to a point in the next 5 weeks that we will discuss this

Mobile W3C Note Status (5m)

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2012/mobile/note/ED-mobile.html

SH: the note was taken to the coordination group. Everything we do there goes very well. People from UAWG and ATWG are very pleased
... the coord. group has until next week to make comments. Jan Richards suggested to have the English check, which is not a problem. People do like this work.
... I expect that for the 23rd next week we will have all the comments and for the following week we will be able to address these

SAZ: I wonder whether more review is needed..congratulations for this piece of work

SH: we are getting very good comments back from various experts

SAZ: it'd be great to make the feedback public
... so that the coord. sees it's been reviewed

SH: definitely

Text Customisation W3C Note Status (5m)

SH: there is still no change, nor update. DS says "no change on the status of the research note"
... anything to say=

?

Easy to Read W3C Note Status (5m)

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2012/easy-to-read/note/ED-E2R.html

SH: KM is not here but sent an email

SAZ: so we have a preliminary draft. We can have it read for next week

SH: I'll go through it next week.
... anything to say about E2R?

New Topics (15m)

SH: Markku has been updating the wiki and he is up for it

<christos> https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2hsz76x7ss9r4k/user-modelling-call-rdwg-v1.1.docx

SH: I can take it for the coordination group next week

CH: this is a preliminary draft. Do you want to discuss anything now?

SH: what do you expect from it? which are the main points?

CHK: the main points are mainly: how existing approaches on user modelling can help web accessibility

<christos> problem with the moc

<christos> sorry

SH: any other business?

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/CfP_Email_Boilerplate

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/CfP_Webpage_Boilerplate

<shadi> +1 to following the template -- move additional background to the wiki

<sharper> ack ashadi

SAZ: i think the metrics symposium is a great example on how a summary links to a larger document.
... so that information is disclosed on demand

<christos> I can hear

<christos> I can not speak...!!!

<christos> yes

SH: we'll skip the other business thing

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Step-by-Step_Guide_for_Symposium_Chairs/Editors

SH: so CHK how does this sound to you (CFP boilerplate, etc)?

<christos> i think they are ok....

SH: the template for the webpage is also useful to follow
... do you think you would be able (with the help of YM) to put your draft into these templates?

<christos> yes

SH: excellent, thanks!
... any more questions about the UM topic or anything else?
... we are done for today
... see you next wednesday

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-04-17 14:52:25 $