W3C

- DRAFT -

HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

31 Jan 2013

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Regrets
Chair
Janina_Sajka
Scribe
JF

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 31 January 2013

<janina> Meeting: HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference

Identify Scribe http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

<scribe> scribe: JF

zalim, take up item 1

Media Bugs (Continued) http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Nov/0040.html

SF: looking at @poster bug

<Stevef> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13333

SF: looking ast the parameters bug

appears to have been resolved amicably in the WG, suggest we move on

<Stevef> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12228

Bug 12228

<LeonieWatson> SF: Sounds like if someone wants to write an extension spec they can.

<LeonieWatson> JF: We didn't expand the use cases for longdesc...

<LeonieWatson> JS: I didn't think alt was applicable to media elements either. Not sure this should be an extension.

<LeonieWatson> JF: If we want to add text equivalence to video we have aria-describedby, but it's not a complete longdesc replacement.

<LeonieWatson> JS: Not comfortable with this bug being closed.

<LeonieWatson> SF: We won't be able to address in 5.0 unless we can get a solution and get implementations.

<LeonieWatson> JF: We need to keep open, we need to work out how to advance an extension spec.

<Stevef> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12546

<LeonieWatson> JF: We can walk away from this one.

<LeonieWatson> SF: Remove the keywords?

<LeonieWatson> JS: Yes.

<Stevef> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13275

Display the controls UI when scripting is disabled

<chaals> [I think JF has an action to deal with this...]

discussing the controls issue

<chaals> [I'm with Steve. The editor answer is not to do what John is suggesting happens, and Shelley is complaining about that]

Chaals: if what the bug says is what the spec says, we should close this bug

Discussion about media players & controls

Chaals: this is a user-agent implementation/requirement

ACTIO: JF to investigate this and report back next week

<scribe> ACTION: JF to investigate this and report back next week [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-154 - Investigate this and report back next week [on John Foliot - due 2013-02-07].

ACTION 154 is on https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13275

<trackbot> Error finding '154'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/users>.

<Stevef> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13544

Cyns: check back with Silvia

SF: removing keywords

<Stevef> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13546

JF: this is an enhancement, basic req is possible now

<Stevef> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13624

<Stevef> -> suggest closing - the paused-for-user-interaction state was misunderstood

JF: recommend to inform UAWG about this

JS: we need more experience with media and extended descriptions

ACTION on JF - point UAWG to bug https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13624

<trackbot> Error finding 'on'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/users>.

ACTION JF - point UAWG to bug https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13624

<trackbot> Created ACTION-155 - - point UAWG to bug https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13624 [on John Foliot - due 2013-02-07].

<Stevef> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12794

<Stevef> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12228

JF: believe this needs to go to the Techniques TF

ACTION LeonieWatson will advise the Techniques TF on bug https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12794

<trackbot> Error finding 'LeonieWatson'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/users>.

PC: notes 2 other items on agenda, will we look at them at this meeting?

JS: alt and longdesc?

PC: yes - prefer not to leqave this to last 2 minutes

JB: pause on media one for today, and move to next item?

JS agreed

JS: last media bug looked at is https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12794, defer balance until next week

Identify Scribe http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

Text Bugs

Subteam Reports: Bug Triage; AAPI Mapping;

Status of "alt" text in HTML (specification and usage in the document)

PC: at some point this discussion should go public - trying to understand. There is WG work blocked at this time by this
... Chairs need to understand where this stands in the overall Editorial work

JS: forwarding an email to Paul
... believe next step is to Robin

Longdesc Extension Update http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-proposals/raw-file/b63325998cc1/longdesc1/longdesc.html

JS: last time we spoke, needs clarrification on how to address the feedback

when looking at this, some were unclear if we had sufficiently captured why we rejected some feedback - had we been succinct and specific enough?

JS: thus we are being very cautious to ensure we've not missed something

JB: concur - is there any other questions that need to be addressed?

PC: it would be useful to provide a predicted date if we can

JS: good to discuss the topic of predicted date

JB: I think we need another pass - probably a few weeks

JS: quite determined to get to CSUN and say we've handled that

JB: we can probably be ready to share with the group by Tuesday or Wednesday next week, then discuss on Thursday
...

Task Force review of changed summary - TF should review one more tme

<paulc> I have to go.

JS: target for longdesc extension spec is Feb. 8th, we will have forwarded a reuest for publication
... 2 minutes left

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: JF to investigate this and report back next week [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-01-31 16:59:12 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.137  of Date: 2012/09/20 20:19:01  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/abo9out/about/
Succeeded: s/Cgairs/Chairs/
Found Scribe: JF
Inferring ScribeNick: JF

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: ACTIO Apple Cooper Cyns Cynthia_Shelly IPcaller IanPouncey JB JF JS Janina_Sajka John_Foliot Judy LeonieWatson MichaelC Microsoft P28 P36 P6 PC SF Stevef chaals davidb hober hober2 https inserted janina paulc trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Found Date: 31 Jan 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/01/31-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: jf

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]