IRC log of dap on 2013-01-16

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:08:58 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #dap
14:08:58 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2013/01/16-dap-irc
14:09:00 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:09:00 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #dap
14:09:02 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be DAP
14:09:02 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see UW_DAP()10:00AM scheduled to start in 51 minutes
14:09:03 [trackbot]
Meeting: Device APIs Working Group Teleconference
14:09:03 [trackbot]
Date: 16 January 2013
14:09:31 [fjh]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/0022.html
14:09:44 [fjh]
fjh has changed the topic to: dap 3279 ; agenda http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/0022.html
14:10:12 [fjh]
Chair: Frederick_Hirsch
14:10:19 [fjh]
Present+ Frederick_Hirsch
14:10:46 [fjh]
Regrets+ Dominique_Hazael-Massieux
14:46:29 [fjh]
Topic: Agenda review, scribe selection, announcements
14:56:16 [fjh]
Regrets+ Claes_Nilsson
14:57:44 [Cathy]
Cathy has joined #dap
14:57:49 [Zakim]
UW_DAP()10:00AM has now started
14:57:56 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
14:58:04 [fjh]
zakim, [IPcaller] is me
14:58:04 [Zakim]
+fjh; got it
14:58:33 [dcheng3]
dcheng3 has joined #dap
14:59:34 [Zakim]
+Josh_Soref
15:00:09 [Zakim]
+lgombos
15:00:41 [fjh]
ScribeNick: fjh
15:00:52 [fjh]
Present+ Laszlo_Gombos, Josh_Soref
15:01:06 [Zakim]
+dcheng3
15:01:27 [dcheng3]
Present+ Diana_Cheng
15:02:53 [Zakim]
+Cathy
15:03:08 [richt_]
richt_ has joined #dap
15:03:56 [Zakim]
+ +1.858.750.aaaa
15:04:04 [Cathy]
Present+ Cathy_Chan
15:04:21 [Zakim]
+Haakon
15:04:21 [lgombos]
Present+ Laszlo_Gombos
15:04:54 [gmandyam]
gmandyam has joined #dap
15:04:55 [richt_]
Present+ Rich_Tibbett
15:05:03 [fjh]
ScribeNick: fjh
15:05:12 [gmandyam]
Giri Mandyam from QuIC joining
15:05:16 [fjh]
draft Media Capture TF F2F agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2013Jan/0042.html
15:05:40 [fjh]
fjh: who is planning on attending
15:05:59 [fjh]
fjh: Giri, Josh plan to attend
15:06:20 [fjh]
zakim, Haakon is rithc
15:06:20 [Zakim]
+rithc; got it
15:06:28 [fjh]
zakim, rithc is richt
15:06:28 [Zakim]
+richt; got it
15:06:54 [fjh]
logistic http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2013Jan/0048.html
15:07:25 [fjh]
lgombos: also likely to attend
15:07:34 [fjh]
josh_soref: of course travis will attend
15:07:55 [fjh]
Topic: Minutes approval
15:08:26 [AnssiK]
AnssiK has joined #dap
15:08:29 [fjh]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/att-0024/minutes-dap-2013-01-09.html
15:08:52 [fjh]
RESOLUTION: Draft minutes from 9 January 2013 are approved.
15:08:58 [Zakim]
+??P12
15:09:02 [AnssiK]
zakim, ??P12 is me
15:09:02 [Zakim]
+AnssiK; got it
15:09:06 [AnssiK]
Present+ Anssi_Kostiainen
15:09:07 [fjh]
Topic: Network Service Discovery
15:09:15 [fjh]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-discovery-api-20121004/
15:09:35 [fjh]
richt: I have missed some meetings due to scheduling conflict, have seen feedback on list, need to reply
15:09:46 [fjh]
.. valid technical discussion, as well as scope change requests
15:09:51 [fjh]
s/../...
15:10:09 [fjh]
... scope is interesting discussion, some want more UPnP support, some want to expand scope
15:10:31 [fjh]
... Opera has been talking to other browser vendors, would prefer to reduce scope, want to get other browser vendors on board
15:10:44 [fjh]
... nothing in spec has changed in 3 months, have implementation, plan to update draft
15:10:52 [fjh]
... more time to work on this from 1 Feb
15:11:20 [Zakim]
-dcheng3
15:11:38 [fjh]
fjh: is it possible for you to send email regarding scope earlier than Feb
15:11:57 [fjh]
richt: would rather work with other browsers to work on web like approach earlier, reduce to URLs
15:12:17 [fjh]
q?
15:12:44 [fjh]
cathy: was planning to consolidate outstanding comments, but maybe not necessary with significant changes?
15:13:09 [fjh]
richt: will not make changes to spec until list discussion first
15:14:31 [fjh]
fjh: seems like consolidation of comments would still be helpful
15:14:33 [fjh]
richt: yes
15:14:39 [fjh]
cathy: ok, I will do this then
15:15:00 [Zakim]
+ +46.1.07.15.aabb
15:15:27 [fjh]
ack, aabb is niklas
15:15:39 [fjh]
zakim, aabb is nwidell
15:15:40 [Zakim]
+nwidell; got it
15:15:50 [fjh]
Present+ Niklas_Widell
15:16:00 [fjh]
Topic: F2F planning
15:16:39 [fjh]
fjh: Propose change of date to May to enable hosting (e.g. during week of 12th, 19th May), since we are having hosting problems for the chosen date
15:19:31 [fjh]
rrsagent, generate minutes
15:19:31 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2013/01/16-dap-minutes.html fjh
15:20:22 [fjh]
fjh: I am unable to host that date, neither is Diana, and Bryan indicated not being able to host in Redmond, and Seattle would be too expensive
15:20:34 [fjh]
fjh: in addition if we change the date we might be able to do 3 days if we need to
15:20:56 [fjh]
fjh: Diana is checking on hosting, I will ask Bryan to check for May, I have reserved 21-23 May in Burlington
15:21:11 [fjh]
fjh: any objection to changing the date
15:21:18 [fjh]
niklas: which date will we use
15:21:27 [fjh]
fjh: not sure, will first get offers for hosting then have questionnaire
15:21:33 [fjh]
no objections
15:21:54 [fjh]
RESOLUTION: DAP F2F will NOT be 9-10 April, but in May depending on hosting availability
15:22:14 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
15:22:14 [Zakim]
On the phone I see fjh, Josh_Soref, lgombos, Cathy, +1.858.750.aaaa, richt, AnssiK, nwidell
15:22:16 [Zakim]
On IRC I see AnssiK, gmandyam, richt_, Cathy, Zakim, RRSAgent, fjh, dom, trackbot, lgombos, tobie, slightlyoff, Josh_Soref, mounir
15:24:06 [fjh]
fjh: we also need to make sure to have a meaningful and productive agenda to justify a f2f. Two big things are to progress a new draft of Network Service Discovery and to progress WebIntents/Web Activities
15:24:23 [fjh]
fjh: I believe we should be seeing more of WebIntents this month, hopefully a proposal
15:24:38 [fjh]
Topic: Network Information API
15:24:53 [fjh]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/0012.html
15:25:12 [fjh]
lgombos: agreeing with Bryan, please refer to email
15:25:55 [fjh]
lgombos: we should be clear that the spec already highlights that it is not necessarily metered, so we could simply change the name
15:26:54 [fjh]
fjh: let us take this to the list
15:27:03 [fjh]
nwidell: I agree, we need more use case discussion
15:27:59 [fjh]
fjh: can you please help with use cases?
15:28:21 [lgombos]
my e-mail is partially a response to implementor feedback (from WebKit)
15:28:23 [fjh]
nwidell: limited on time, but will see what I can do, certainly can comment. We need to be sure to limit our scope
15:28:56 [fjh]
Topic: Proximity Events and Ambient Light Events LC
15:29:07 [fjh]
Ambient Light Events LC published 13 December 2012, http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-ambient-light-20121213/ ; LC ends 26 January.
15:29:18 [fjh]
LC comments https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/43696/WD-ambient-light-20121213/
15:29:27 [fjh]
Proximity Events LC published 6 December 2012. LC ends 24 January.
15:29:39 [fjh]
LC comments https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/43696/WD-proximity-20121206/
15:29:46 [fjh]
pointer to consolidated CSS document http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/0013.html (Josh)
15:29:54 [fjh]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/0021.html (proposed comment resolution)
15:29:59 [Zakim]
-Josh_Soref
15:30:27 [fjh]
fjh: review is happening in the PING, privacy interest group, that review ends 17th, should get feedback
15:30:33 [Zakim]
+Josh_Soref
15:31:35 [fjh]
fjh: some of the discussion is how privacy requires a systemic view, which I've been saying - but we will see what feedback we get. You can check out the PING list as well
15:31:36 [fjh]
http://www.w3.org/Privacy/
15:32:12 [AnssiK]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/0015.html
15:32:31 [fjh]
anssik: have addressed last call comments and sent mail to list
15:32:51 [AnssiK]
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/rev/685f81b473d3
15:33:41 [fjh]
fjh: I need to close LC issue for Tab
15:35:51 [fjh]
fjh: need to think about bigger issues
15:36:00 [fjh]
s/issues/issues as well/
15:36:24 [fjh]
anssi: doug turner is busy with release right now, also need implementations to back proposals
15:36:45 [fjh]
fjh: rick's latest on this - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/0023.html
15:37:06 [fjh]
anssik: could extend API to deal with multiple sensors, had earlier discussion about adding identifier
15:37:31 [fjh]
... proximity event could include id to identify sensor, so can address use case with current spec
15:38:08 [fjh]
... not sure about changing for 'better design", issue of rework of code and prefer implementation experience
15:39:29 [fjh]
... do we want a spec that is implemented or one that is cleaner but not implemented
15:40:08 [fjh]
fjh: anssik, it would be helpful for you to respond to Rick
15:40:27 [fjh]
anssik: yes I will respond, e.g. can make it look better via javascript library, for example
15:40:35 [fjh]
Topic: Open Actions
15:40:44 [fjh]
ACTION-605?
15:40:44 [trackbot]
ACTION-605 -- Anssi Kostiainen to update Ambient Light specification for LC-2737 , bringing queueing order update from Proximity to Ambient Light -- due 2013-01-16 -- OPEN
15:40:44 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/605
15:40:52 [fjh]
ACTION-606?
15:40:52 [trackbot]
ACTION-606 -- Anssi Kostiainen to update Proximity and Ambient Light to define events, per LC-2738 -- due 2013-01-16 -- OPEN
15:40:52 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/606
15:40:57 [fjh]
ACTION-607?
15:40:57 [trackbot]
ACTION-607 -- Anssi Kostiainen to update Ambient Light per LC-2737, bringing any questions to the list -- due 2013-01-16 -- OPEN
15:40:57 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/607
15:41:18 [fjh]
close ACTION-605
15:41:19 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-605 Update Ambient Light specification for LC-2737 , bringing queueing order update from Proximity to Ambient Light.
15:41:23 [fjh]
close ACTION-606
15:41:23 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-606 Update Proximity and Ambient Light to define events, per LC-2738.
15:41:29 [fjh]
close ACTION-607
15:41:29 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-607 Update Ambient Light per LC-2737, bringing any questions to the list.
15:41:45 [fjh]
close ACTION-601
15:41:45 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-601 Prepare updated WD of HTML Media Capture in preparation for publication on 18 December (assuming WG agreement 12 Dec).
15:42:04 [fjh]
ACTION-592?
15:42:04 [trackbot]
ACTION-592 -- Niklas Widell to provide draft sensors landscape document -- due 2012-11-09 -- OPEN
15:42:04 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/592
15:42:26 [fjh]
nwidell: have created a draft but it is not finished
15:42:33 [fjh]
... cannot work more on this
15:42:40 [fjh]
fjh: is it possible to share what you have done
15:42:45 [fjh]
nwidell: will check
15:43:40 [fjh]
close ACTION-567
15:43:40 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-567 to provide proposed resolutions for HTML Media Capture last call comments, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Aug/0045.html.
15:44:01 [fjh]
fjh: if you believe an action should be closed, in general please move to Pending state
15:44:15 [fjh]
close ACTION-579
15:44:16 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-579 Add reference to clarify "implicit consent" in HTML Media Capture, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Sep/0122.html.
15:45:09 [fjh]
close ACTION-586
15:45:09 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-586 Review Battery tests.
15:45:33 [AnssiK]
https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/586?
15:45:47 [AnssiK]
s/https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/586?//
15:47:29 [Zakim]
-lgombos
15:47:30 [Zakim]
- +1.858.750.aaaa
15:47:30 [Zakim]
-Cathy
15:47:32 [Zakim]
-nwidell
15:47:32 [Zakim]
-richt
15:47:38 [Zakim]
-AnssiK
15:47:39 [fjh]
close ACTION-604
15:47:39 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-604 Request offers of hosting.
15:47:49 [fjh]
close ACTION-608
15:47:49 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-608 Update LC-2731 as completed.
15:47:57 [fjh]
close ACTION-609
15:47:57 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-609 Ask Rick to make proposal for change, summarizing use cases and benefits of change.
15:48:05 [fjh]
close ACTION-610
15:48:05 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-610 Contact Richt offline re network service discovery.
15:48:28 [fjh]
close ACTION-558
15:48:28 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-558 Draft a proposal for stills capture for gUM.
15:48:36 [fjh]
fjh: robin confirmed we can close this one
15:48:52 [fjh]
close ACTION-560
15:48:52 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-560 Coordinate with PF to figure out which DAP specs, if any, have accessibility dependencies.
15:49:16 [fjh]
fjh: robin noted that he established coordination with PF, but we should inform PF on upcoming LCs
15:49:24 [fjh]
Topic: Other Business
15:49:26 [fjh]
none
15:51:15 [fjh]
reminder - Anssi will reply to Rick, Cathy will consolidate and send message re Network Service Discovery, Richt will work on it as soon as he can, Frederick to follow up on F2f hosting and create questionnaire, Nicklas to check on sharing use cases both for network information and sensors, Frederick to work on closing Tab LC comment, Diana to check on hosting
15:51:23 [fjh]
Topic: Adjourn
15:51:28 [fjh]
rrsagent, generate minutes
15:51:28 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2013/01/16-dap-minutes.html fjh
15:52:14 [fjh]
s/ack, aabb is niklas//
15:52:54 [fjh]
rrsagent, generate minutes
15:52:54 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2013/01/16-dap-minutes.html fjh
15:54:05 [Zakim]
-fjh
15:58:49 [naomi]
naomi has joined #dap
16:06:45 [Zakim]
-Josh_Soref
16:06:47 [Zakim]
UW_DAP()10:00AM has ended
16:06:47 [Zakim]
Attendees were fjh, Josh_Soref, lgombos, dcheng3, Cathy, +1.858.750.aaaa, richt, AnssiK, +46.1.07.15.aabb, nwidell
17:25:19 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #dap
17:28:50 [naomi]
naomi has joined #dap
17:59:28 [jeffh]
jeffh has joined #dap
18:21:52 [naomi]
naomi has joined #dap
19:15:29 [naomi]
naomi has joined #dap