IRC log of css on 2012-11-28

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:24:46 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #css
16:24:46 [RRSAgent]
logging to
16:24:53 [glazou]
Zakim, this will be Style
16:24:53 [Zakim]
ok, glazou; I see Style_CSS FP()12:00PM scheduled to start in 36 minutes
16:24:59 [glazou]
RRSAgent, make logs public
16:25:08 [glazou]
hi all
16:37:21 [lmclister]
lmclister has joined #css
16:53:46 [Zakim]
Style_CSS FP()12:00PM has now started
16:53:54 [Zakim]
+ +47.23.69.aaaa
16:54:08 [Zakim]
+ +1.415.832.aabb
16:54:11 [rhauck]
rhauck has joined #css
16:54:25 [SimonSapin1]
SimonSapin1 has joined #css
16:54:30 [leif]
leif has joined #css
16:54:31 [krit]
Zakim, aabb is me
16:54:31 [Zakim]
+krit; got it
16:54:44 [leif]
Zakim, who is here?
16:54:44 [Zakim]
On the phone I see +47.23.69.aaaa, krit
16:54:45 [Zakim]
On IRC I see leif, SimonSapin1, rhauck, lmclister, RRSAgent, Zakim, glazou, krit, glenn, logbot, antonp, SamB_MacG5, danielfilho|w, {Darktears}, drublic, teoli_, cabanier,
16:54:45 [Zakim]
... isherman, arronei, stearns, hober, shepazu, vhardy__, boblet, gsnedders
16:54:52 [leif]
Zakim, aaa is me
16:54:52 [Zakim]
sorry, leif, I do not recognize a party named 'aaa'
16:55:01 [leif]
Zakim, aaaa is me
16:55:02 [Zakim]
+leif; got it
16:55:13 [Zakim]
16:55:20 [glazou]
Zakim, ??P16 is me
16:55:20 [Zakim]
+glazou; got it
16:55:32 [glazou]
Zakim, who is noisy?
16:55:43 [Zakim]
glazou, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: leif (62%)
16:55:49 [glazou]
Zakim, mute leif
16:55:51 [Zakim]
leif should now be muted
16:56:00 [glazou]
leif: too much noise, I muted you
16:57:20 [Zakim]
+ +
16:57:32 [glazou]
Zakim, aacc is SimonSapin
16:57:33 [Zakim]
+SimonSapin; got it
16:59:03 [Zakim]
16:59:07 [Zakim]
16:59:30 [glenn]
zakim, ??p61 is me
16:59:30 [Zakim]
+glenn; got it
16:59:42 [Zakim]
16:59:52 [leif]
whoops, I stepped out for a minute, but my phone was muted. sorry
17:00:20 [JohnJansen]
JohnJansen has joined #CSS
17:00:52 [dbaron]
dbaron has joined #css
17:01:03 [smfr]
smfr has joined #css
17:01:20 [Zakim]
+ +1.253.307.aadd
17:01:35 [Zakim]
+ +1.415.766.aaee
17:01:39 [dbaron]
Zakim, aaee is dbaron
17:01:42 [Zakim]
+dbaron; got it
17:01:49 [oyvind]
oyvind has joined #css
17:01:54 [Zakim]
+ +1.206.512.aaff
17:01:57 [Zakim]
17:01:58 [Zakim]
17:02:05 [Zakim]
+ +1.408.636.aagg
17:02:10 [smfr]
Zakim, aagg is me
17:02:11 [Zakim]
+smfr; got it
17:02:24 [Zakim]
+ +1.619.846.aahh
17:03:29 [SteveZ]
SteveZ has joined #css
17:03:34 [JohnJansen]
Zakim, Microsoft has JohnJansen
17:03:34 [Zakim]
+JohnJansen; got it
17:03:41 [Zakim]
17:04:34 [Zakim]
17:04:45 [emalasky]
emalasky has joined #css
17:05:05 [Zakim]
17:05:45 [Zakim]
17:06:12 [SteveZ]
Scribenick SteveZ
17:06:51 [SteveZ]
Note from Molly which says changing the dates should not be a problem
17:06:52 [smfr]
smfr has changed the topic to:
17:07:10 [dino]
dino has joined #css
17:07:21 [SteveZ]
Please update the Wiki with your plans and everything else you need (e.g. spouse, special needs)
17:07:57 [plinss]
17:08:28 [smfr]
topic: unbound background-clip from -origin in background shorthand
17:08:36 [smfr]
17:08:51 [fantasai]!DOCTYPE%20html%3E%0A%3Cstyle%3E%0Ap%20{%20background%3A%20content-box%20red%20content-box%3B%20}%0A%3C%2Fstyle%3E%0A%3Cp%3Etest%20me
17:08:53 [SimonSapin]
makes sense to allow this
17:09:20 [SteveZ]
Fantasai: Whether other values can be between Background and Clip
17:09:21 [SteveZ]
Dirk: Firefox does not allow others do
17:09:32 [krit]
17:09:52 [JohnJansen]
IE10 is clipped with that test case
17:10:26 [oyvind]
firefox doesn't allow two values at all, at least not in 17/stable
17:10:53 [SteveZ]
Fantasai: reason we put them back to back was that it was simpler, but I do not have strong opinions;
17:10:54 [fantasai]
oyvind: good point, that doesn't seem to work indeed
17:11:16 [SteveZ]
Fantasai: Given one implementation follows the spec we should not change it
17:11:35 [SteveZ]
krit: does Quirks mode affect this
17:11:44 [cabanier]
cabanier has joined #css
17:12:11 [SteveZ]
Fantasai: Quirks mode should not matter because this is not a legacy feature
17:12:28 [SteveZ]
Fantasai: does anyone else have an opinion
17:12:56 [jet]
jet has joined #CSS
17:13:14 [krit]
s/does Quirks mode affect this/does Quirks mode affect this on IE? it doesn't on Safari/Chromium/
17:13:21 [SteveZ]
It was noted that Firefox does not allow two values
17:13:57 [SteveZ]
Krit: Webkit uses first for origin and second for clip
17:14:19 [SteveZ]
A third value would make the specification invalid
17:15:26 [SteveZ]
Fantasai: the spec is clear about the intended value; there used to be only one allowed value and then two were allowed
17:16:03 [SteveZ]
DBaron: I prefer leaving it as it is because it is easier to implement
17:16:52 [SteveZ]
krit: both Webkit and Opera correctly implement a single value, two values and ignoring the property if a third value is set
17:17:32 [SteveZ]
PLinss: there are 3 implementations that agree, but do not implement the spec and one implementation that does implement the spec
17:17:59 [SteveZ]
Sylvain: If we make a change theat would put us back to LC
17:18:41 [SteveZ]
Fantasai: We have to go to LC anyway to allow the inset and color keywords to be re-ordered
17:19:12 [SteveZ]
ACTION krit to provide test case
17:19:12 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find krit. You can review and register nicknames at <>.
17:19:43 [SteveZ]
ACTION Dirk to provide test case
17:19:43 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-524 - Provide test case [on Dirk Schulze - due 2012-12-05].
17:20:17 [SteveZ]
PLinss: we will revisit next week after test is posted
17:20:33 [SteveZ]
2. css3-text/text-decor
17:20:55 [SteveZ]
Fantasai: are there any more issues?
17:21:24 [SteveZ]
PLinss: this is the LC for LC so we can decide to publish LC next week
17:22:06 [SteveZ]
Fantasai: want to insure everyone, including JDaggett, can file any issues they have
17:22:34 [SteveZ]
Topic: 3. FX TF meetings
17:23:17 [Zakim]
17:23:17 [SteveZ]
Dirk: There were FX TF meetings in the past with CSS and SVG folks; they stopped when CSS participation dropped
17:23:33 [SteveZ]
Sylvain: What time will these meetings be?
17:24:31 [SteveZ]
Dirk: there are attendees in Japan and Australia so we need to accommodate them; it was 10-11PM in Europe
17:24:42 [tantek]
tantek has joined #css
17:25:03 [SteveZ]
DBaron: Will these meeting be regular.
17:25:13 [cabanier]
cabanier: they used to be Monday afternoon PST
17:25:28 [SteveZ]
Dirk: How about having a meeting only if there is an agenda
17:25:56 [SteveZ]
DBaron: that is OK if the agenda comes at least 2 days prior to the meeting
17:26:20 [SteveZ]
Dirk: I had sent agendas on the Wednesday prior to a following Monday meeting
17:26:38 [SteveZ]
DBaron: I would join depending the the topics
17:27:15 [SteveZ]
Dirk: the SF time was 1:30PM on Mondays
17:28:20 [tantek]
I would monitor it
17:28:40 [SteveZ]
DBaron: I would prefer every other week so I can put a chron entry in my calendar
17:29:10 [SteveZ]
Dirk: How about every even week?
17:29:13 [dbaron]
but every week is fine too
17:29:27 [SteveZ]
DBaron: I can live with every week and cancelling as well
17:29:34 [cabanier]
It's unlikely that there will be many meetings in a row
17:29:44 [SteveZ]
Topic: 4. viewport units (vw/vh/vmin/vmax) and varying page size
17:29:45 [SteveZ]
17:29:47 [SteveZ]
17:31:06 [SteveZ]
Simon: viewport units are based on the initial containing block which is only the first page, but units should vary across varying size pages
17:31:39 [SteveZ]
Simon: the first page solution is easier to implement;, but makes them useless for varying size pages
17:32:06 [SteveZ]
PLinss: what happens with a entity is split across pages of different size
17:32:59 [SteveZ]
Simon: If we choose that viewport units depend on the current page, then the width may vary across pages
17:33:59 [SteveZ]
Rossen: This is the same problem as exists with percentages where fragments fit into different size containers
17:34:04 [fantasai]
zakim, who is here?
17:34:05 [Zakim]
On the phone I see leif (muted), krit, glazou, plinss, glenn, [Microsoft], +1.253.307.aadd, dbaron, +1.206.512.aaff, Stearns, ??P77, smfr, +1.619.846.aahh, SteveZ, fantasai,
17:34:08 [Zakim]
... SimonSapin, dino
17:34:08 [Zakim]
[Microsoft] has JohnJansen
17:34:08 [Zakim]
On IRC I see tantek, jet, cabanier, dino, emalasky, SteveZ, oyvind, smfr, dbaron, JohnJansen, leif, SimonSapin, rhauck, lmclister, RRSAgent, Zakim, glazou, krit, glenn, logbot,
17:34:09 [Zakim]
... antonp, SamB_MacG5, danielfilho|w, darktears, drublic, teoli_, isherman
17:34:32 [sylvaing]
Zakim, aaff is me
17:34:32 [Zakim]
+sylvaing; got it
17:34:48 [SteveZ]
Rossen: It is not that different to have the viewport relative values be computed differently for each fragment
17:35:36 [SteveZ]
Rossen: IE does take advantage of the current initial containing block so I would be in favor of keeping that behavior.
17:35:58 [SteveZ]
Simon: I agree that the viewport unit computation is like percentages
17:36:26 [cabanier]
* FYI I'm not on the phone *
17:37:00 [SteveZ]
Simon: If we go with using the current page then the computed value of every property would need to change to say and absolute value or a viewport unit
17:37:08 [Zakim]
- +1.619.846.aahh
17:37:32 [Zakim]
17:37:42 [Zakim]
+ +1.619.846.aaii
17:38:04 [SteveZ]
Rossen: this is not the case because all the values (today) are bound to an element so you only get one value per element
17:38:15 [Rossen]
Rossen has joined #css
17:39:37 [SteveZ]
Rossen: The API today is defined on an element that implies a single value per property. This does not allow returning the values for all the fragements an element might divide into
17:40:21 [SteveZ]
Rossen: to solve this you would need to get the used values of the boxes (for the fragments)
17:41:15 [SteveZ]
DBaron: If is not just about the API, it is about the concept of "computed value" and whether viewport units can be computed to a lenght within that concept
17:41:52 [SteveZ]
Rossen: making the change to use the current page would make the value dependent on layout and would vliolate the "computed value" rule
17:42:53 [SteveZ]
DBaron: We decided (not that long ago) that we wanted viewport values to compute to a length. I believe that we did this knowing it would not work with varying page sizes
17:43:17 [SteveZ]
DBaron: changing this would cause current implementations to start over
17:43:56 [SteveZ]
Fantasai: When you do not have varying page sizes you get the same results with either approach.
17:44:40 [Zakim]
17:44:42 [Zakim]
17:44:46 [SteveZ]
Fantasai: Add a note to the spec to say that the interpretation may change in the future if varying page sizes become important
17:45:06 [Rossen]
Zakim, [Microsoft.a] is me
17:45:06 [Zakim]
+Rossen; got it
17:45:54 [SteveZ]
Tab: We cannot change it in the future if we want viewport units to be computed values
17:48:09 [SteveZ]
Simon: we need to change the note in Values and Units if we keep the first page rule
17:48:29 [SteveZ]
Fantasai: there may be other places that need to be updated as well
17:48:57 [SteveZ]
Fantasai: Do we want to allow either interpretation being conformant?
17:49:06 [SteveZ]
17:49:55 [SteveZ]
Tab: a viewport unit that changes by the page will not be a 'definite size' (in the sizing spec) because it will depend on layout
17:50:38 [SteveZ]
This means that the two choices are not "the same" for constant size pages
17:51:34 [SteveZ]
Tab: making the unit conform to the varying page size makes viewport units be used value units rather than computed value units
17:52:41 [Zakim]
17:53:11 [Zakim]
17:53:34 [SimonSapin]
(phone operator cutting calls after ~45 minutes …)
17:53:43 [SteveZ]
PLinss: i am reluctant to making a decision that would not allow viewport units to depend on the actual page size
17:54:43 [Zakim]
17:54:50 [SteveZ]
SteveZ: the viewport units are absolute so that a rotated table would use the vh to set its width
17:55:22 [Zakim]
17:55:23 [plinss]
s/not allow viewport units/not allow initial containing block/
17:55:41 [SteveZ]
RESOVLED: keep the spedification of viewport units the same as now; that is that the first page is used
17:56:08 [SteveZ]
Topic: 5. CR Exit Criteria
17:56:09 [SimonSapin]
action to update the v&u note?
17:56:09 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find to. You can review and register nicknames at <>.
17:56:09 [fantasai]
ACTION fantasai edit the spec
17:56:09 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-525 - Edit the spec [on Elika Etemad - due 2012-12-05].
17:56:10 [SteveZ]
17:56:11 [SteveZ]
17:57:13 [SteveZ]
Tab: I do not know if anyone objected to the conclusion: namely, that if one person writes the code, even if in different products, that is considered to be one implementation
17:58:00 [stearns]
there's nothing restricting someone working on more than one implementation - there's just a requirement to go and find a third implementation in that case
17:58:34 [SteveZ]
PLinss: I would not change our CR wording because because I want to allow time varying participation in different products
17:59:24 [SteveZ]
DBaron and others: I do not think we need to further define "independent"; it's meaning in English is sufficient
18:00:28 [Zakim]
18:00:30 [Zakim]
18:00:33 [SteveZ]
PLinss: if the tester writes his tests by reading the spec; that means a second pair of eyes came to the same interpretation as the implementer
18:00:34 [Zakim]
18:00:36 [Zakim]
18:00:36 [Zakim]
18:00:36 [Zakim]
18:00:38 [Zakim]
- +1.253.307.aadd
18:00:38 [Zakim]
18:00:39 [Zakim]
- +1.619.846.aaii
18:00:40 [Zakim]
18:00:40 [Zakim]
18:00:41 [Zakim]
18:00:45 [Zakim]
18:00:51 [hober]
Zakim, aaii is me
18:00:51 [Zakim]
sorry, hober, I do not recognize a party named 'aaii'
18:00:52 [SteveZ]
RRSagend, make minutes
18:00:52 [Zakim]
18:00:52 [Zakim]
18:00:58 [smfr]
smfr has left #css
18:01:03 [Zakim]
18:01:12 [Zakim]
18:01:23 [SteveZ]
RRSagent, make minutes
18:01:23 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate SteveZ
18:01:37 [SimonSapin]
SimonSapin has joined #css
18:01:46 [SteveZ]
Meeting ended at 10:00
18:02:04 [Zakim]
18:02:05 [Zakim]
Style_CSS FP()12:00PM has ended
18:02:05 [Zakim]
Attendees were +47.23.69.aaaa, +1.415.832.aabb, krit, leif, glazou, +, SimonSapin, plinss, glenn, +1.253.307.aadd, +1.415.766.aaee, dbaron, +1.206.512.aaff, Stearns,
18:02:05 [Zakim]
... +1.408.636.aagg, smfr, +1.619.846.aahh, JohnJansen, SteveZ, fantasai, dino, sylvaing, Tab_Atkins, +1.619.846.aaii, [Microsoft], Rossen, [IPcaller]
18:03:20 [jet]
jet has joined #CSS
18:33:57 [SimonSapin]
SimonSapin has joined #css
18:35:46 [emalasky1]
emalasky1 has joined #css
18:40:02 [SimonSapin]
fantasai: ping
18:41:46 [rhauck]
rhauck has left #css
18:43:20 [cabanier1]
cabanier1 has joined #css
18:53:58 [cabanier]
cabanier has joined #css
19:02:09 [emalasky1]
emalasky1 has left #css
19:23:44 [krit1]
krit1 has joined #css
19:27:25 [drublic]
drublic has joined #css
19:35:23 [dbaron]
dbaron has joined #css
20:08:13 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #css
20:17:10 [Ms2ger]
Ms2ger has joined #css
20:45:42 [cabanier]
cabanier has joined #css
20:49:44 [victor]
victor has joined #css
20:50:06 [victor]
victor has left #css
20:55:44 [krit]
krit has joined #css
21:02:06 [fantasai]
SimonSapin: pong
21:02:37 [SimonSapin]
fantasai: have you got a chance to look at the css3-page stuff?
21:18:45 [jet]
jet has joined #CSS
21:33:58 [Ms2ger]
fantasai, shouldn't we get in a selectors spec?
21:39:08 [fantasai]
SimonSapin: not really. Hopefully will get to that this week.
21:39:51 [fantasai]
Ms2ger: Maybe? I'll file it as an issue.
21:39:59 [Ms2ger]
21:43:05 [Ms2ger]
Time for a vacation ;);
21:44:57 [fantasai]
21:48:59 [SimonSapin]
fantasai: page stuff can wait too ;)
21:49:27 [fantasai]
well, I'm not off this week anyway :)
21:52:59 [SimonSapin]
fantasai: should I add myself to the editors list?
21:53:54 [fantasai]
21:54:27 [dbaron]
dbaron has joined #css
22:14:18 [SteveZ_]
SteveZ_ has joined #css
22:21:48 [lmclister]
lmclister has joined #css
22:24:42 [lmclister]
lmclister has left #css
22:25:15 [lmclister]
lmclister has joined #css
22:32:36 [jet]
jet has joined #CSS
22:44:08 [drublic]
drublic has joined #css
22:48:19 [cabanier]
cabanier has joined #css
23:06:16 [lmclister1]
lmclister1 has joined #css
23:06:26 [tantek]
tantek has joined #css