IRC log of i18n on 2012-11-21

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:52:40 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
15:52:40 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/11/21-i18n-irc
15:52:44 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
15:52:51 [aphillip]
trackbot, prepare teleconference
15:52:53 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
15:52:55 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 4186
15:52:55 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM scheduled to start in 8 minutes
15:52:56 [trackbot]
Meeting: Internationalization Working Group Teleconference
15:52:56 [trackbot]
Date: 21 November 2012
15:53:11 [aphillip]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012Nov/0013.html
15:53:17 [aphillip]
Chair: Addison Phillips
15:53:20 [aphillip]
Scribe: Addison Phillips
15:53:31 [aphillip]
ScribeNick: aphillip
15:53:31 [aphillip]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:53:31 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/11/21-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:53:43 [aphillip]
zakim, who is here?
15:53:43 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM has not yet started, aphillip
15:53:44 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, aphillip, fsasaki, r12a, trackbot
15:54:08 [aphillip]
Regrets: David
15:58:06 [matial]
matial has joined #i18n
15:59:15 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM has now started
15:59:22 [Zakim]
+Addison_Phillips
15:59:29 [aphillip]
zakim, I am Addison_Phillips
15:59:29 [Zakim]
ok, aphillip, I now associate you with Addison_Phillips
15:59:37 [aphillip]
zakim, who is here?
15:59:37 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Addison_Phillips
15:59:38 [Zakim]
On IRC I see matial, Zakim, RRSAgent, aphillip, fsasaki, r12a, trackbot
15:59:40 [Zakim]
+??P5
15:59:50 [matial]
zakim, ??p5 is me
15:59:50 [Zakim]
+matial; got it
16:00:23 [Zakim]
+??P6
16:02:52 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard please
16:02:54 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
16:02:54 [Zakim]
+Richard
16:03:01 [Norbert]
Norbert has joined #i18n
16:03:25 [Zakim]
+ +1.415.885.aaaa
16:03:36 [aphillip]
zakim, +1.415 is Norbert
16:03:38 [Zakim]
+Norbert; got it
16:04:33 [aphillip]
Topic: Agenda and Minutes
16:04:51 [r12a]
agenda?
16:05:33 [aphillip]
Topic: Action Items
16:06:17 [aphillip]
close ACTION-139
16:06:17 [trackbot]
ACTION-139 Update qa-byte-order-mark document closed
16:06:30 [aphillip]
close ACTION-148
16:06:30 [trackbot]
ACTION-148 Write to Korean folks and ask them to consider bringing work to our activity closed
16:06:32 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open
16:08:14 [aphillip]
Topic: Info Share
16:09:11 [aphillip]
if you want to speak at/attend MLWeb conf in Rome, send application now
16:09:23 [aphillip]
s/if you/richard: if you/
16:09:57 [aphillip]
Topic: ITS 2.0 LC review
16:10:13 [aphillip]
felix: making you aware that they want to go to LC Dec 4 or Dec 11
16:10:26 [aphillip]
... so features need to be complete and with ed staff in next two weeks
16:10:39 [aphillip]
felix: have a plan for a f2f meeting in prague
16:11:05 [matial]
I would like to have the bidi stuff next, since I must leave in 20 mns
16:11:09 [aphillip]
... can richard perhaps participate
16:12:33 [aphillip]
Topic: Bidi in HTML5 blog post
16:12:42 [fsasaki]
s/prague/prague 23-24 January/
16:12:43 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Html-bidi-isolation
16:13:03 [aphillip]
richard: proposal to edit doc
16:13:17 [aphillip]
s/edit doc/have a blog post/
16:13:24 [aphillip]
... aharon wrote most
16:13:36 [aphillip]
... includes new attrs
16:13:44 [aphillip]
... and things we discussed in html wg
16:14:33 [aphillip]
richard: aharon not convinced that suggestions are all valid
16:14:41 [aphillip]
... such as css being used to get around backwards compat
16:15:01 [aphillip]
richard: need to add more info about backwards compat
16:15:13 [aphillip]
... and that aharon and I think rli/lri are good values for @dir
16:15:20 [aphillip]
... need to decide where to publish
16:15:24 [aphillip]
... please look at it
16:15:52 [aphillip]
ACTION: addison: remind everyone to review Html-bidi-isolation blog post for next week
16:15:52 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-160 - Remind everyone to review Html-bidi-isolation blog post for next week [on Addison Phillips - due 2012-11-28].
16:16:14 [aphillip]
mati: read about 2/3 of it
16:16:20 [aphillip]
... like it, buy the arguments
16:17:01 [aphillip]
Topic: Rework bidi articles
16:17:10 [aphillip]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012Nov/0012.html http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/new-bidi-xhtml/Overview-inline-2.en.php
16:17:20 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/11/21-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
16:17:51 [aphillip]
richard: if you scroll down you see pink background bits
16:18:10 [aphillip]
... these cover html5
16:18:16 [aphillip]
... propose that
16:18:49 [aphillip]
... this document proposes that you use markup everywhere dir changes
16:19:03 [aphillip]
richard: propose that we hide the html5 stuff for now
16:19:11 [aphillip]
... because html5 is still changing
16:20:11 [aphillip]
addison: want to ensure that markup should be consistent going forwards
16:22:08 [aphillip]
norbert: any breaking changes?
16:23:31 [aphillip]
richard: shouldn't be
16:23:51 [aphillip]
richard: don't want to say <bdi><cite> if we then change to <cite dir="rli">
16:27:24 [aphillip]
richard: also changed some of article structure
16:27:37 [aphillip]
... added some of norbert's suggestions and such
16:27:56 [aphillip]
... old structure was more complicated
16:28:01 [aphillip]
... so simplified
16:28:10 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/11/21-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
16:29:03 [aphillip]
ACTION: addison: remind everyone to review new-bidi-xhtml document for next week
16:29:03 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-161 - Remind everyone to review new-bidi-xhtml document for next week [on Addison Phillips - due 2012-11-28].
16:30:02 [aphillip]
Topic: BOM article rewrite
16:30:04 [aphillip]
http://www.org/International/questions/new/qa-byte-order-mark-new.en.php
16:30:20 [aphillip]
richard: similar story here
16:30:25 [aphillip]
... think this is ready for wide review
16:30:33 [aphillip]
... perhaps look at it first
16:31:22 [aphillip]
... want to incorporate any additional issues folks are aware of
16:31:39 [aphillip]
... may want to delete the other article we have
16:31:44 [aphillip]
s/delete/deprecate/
16:31:51 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/11/21-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
16:32:37 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-utf8-bom
16:32:38 [aphillip]
ACTION: addison: remind everyone to review qa-byte-order-mark-new for next week
16:32:38 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-162 - Remind everyone to review qa-byte-order-mark-new for next week [on Addison Phillips - due 2012-11-28].
16:32:46 [aphillip]
richard: above link is article to obsolete
16:33:09 [aphillip]
Topic: Number formats in HTML5
16:33:21 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17918
16:33:53 [aphillip]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2012OctDec/0074.html
16:34:37 [aphillip]
For example, a user agent might support numeric input in the user's local format, converting it to the format required for submission as described above. This might include handling different grouping or decimal separators (such as "12.456,78", as customary in many European locales) or local digit shaping (such as the use of digits in Arabic, Persian, Devanagari, Thai, and other scripts) or a combination thereof.
16:34:57 [aphillip]
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/states-of-the-type-attribute.html#number-state-(type=number
16:35:02 [Zakim]
-matial
16:39:15 [aphillip]
norbert: concerned about:
16:39:15 [aphillip]
User agents must not allow the user to set the value to a non-empty string that is not a valid floating-point number. If the user agent provides a user interface for selecting a number, then the value must be set to the best representation of the number representing the user's selection as a floating-point number. User agents should allow the user to set the value to the empty string.
16:41:00 [aphillip]
"user agents must not interpret user input to set the value to a non-empty string that is not a valid..."
16:41:19 [aphillip]
"user agents must not interpret input..."
16:41:44 [aphillip]
"user agents must not set the value..."
16:42:46 [aphillip]
user's input not desired in the conversation, it's just the user-agent's interactoin with the value
16:44:34 [aphillip]
richard: "the internal representation of the value supplied by the user"
16:44:59 [aphillip]
value => string
16:47:19 [aphillip]
12345,67
16:53:22 [aphillip]
<input lang=fr type=numeric>
16:53:41 [aphillip]
... but browser is set to spanish... then fr should win
16:54:41 [aphillip]
123.456
16:54:43 [aphillip]
123,456
17:00:36 [aphillip]
Topic: AOB?
17:01:47 [Zakim]
-Addison_Phillips
17:01:49 [Zakim]
-fsasaki
17:01:50 [Zakim]
-Norbert
17:02:12 [r12a]
zakim, drop richard
17:02:12 [Zakim]
Richard is being disconnected
17:02:13 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM has ended
17:02:13 [Zakim]
Attendees were Addison_Phillips, matial, fsasaki, Richard, +1.415.885.aaaa, Norbert
17:02:33 [aphillip]
rrsagent, make minutes
17:02:33 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/11/21-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
17:02:56 [aphillip]
norbert: will send an email about things to be careful about in uts35
17:03:04 [aphillip]
rrsagent, make minutes
17:03:04 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/11/21-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
17:03:10 [aphillip]
zakim, who is here?
17:03:10 [Zakim]
apparently I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM has ended, aphillip
17:03:11 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Norbert, Zakim, RRSAgent, aphillip, fsasaki, r12a, trackbot
17:03:16 [aphillip]
zakim, bye
17:03:16 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18n
17:03:30 [aphillip]
rrsagent, bye
17:03:30 [RRSAgent]
I see 3 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2012/11/21-i18n-actions.rdf :
17:03:30 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: remind everyone to review Html-bidi-isolation blog post for next week [1]
17:03:30 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/11/21-i18n-irc#T16-15-52
17:03:30 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: remind everyone to review new-bidi-xhtml document for next week [2]
17:03:30 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/11/21-i18n-irc#T16-29-03
17:03:30 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: remind everyone to review qa-byte-order-mark-new for next week [3]
17:03:30 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/11/21-i18n-irc#T16-32-38