IRC log of svg on 2012-10-11

Timestamps are in UTC.

21:01:08 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #svg
21:01:08 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/10/11-svg-irc
21:01:10 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
21:01:12 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be GA_SVGWG
21:01:13 [trackbot]
Meeting: SVG Working Group Teleconference
21:01:13 [trackbot]
Date: 11 October 2012
21:01:13 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot, I see GA_SVGWG(SVG1)5:00PM already started
21:01:18 [krit1]
krit1 has joined #svg
21:01:39 [birtles]
Zakim, who is here?
21:01:39 [Zakim]
On the phone I see [IPcaller]
21:01:46 [birtles]
Zakim, IPcaller is me
21:01:46 [Zakim]
+birtles; got it
21:02:06 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
21:02:25 [ed]
Zakim, [IP is me
21:02:25 [Zakim]
+ed; got it
21:02:38 [ed]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2012OctDec/0005.html
21:02:44 [Zakim]
+ +1.415.832.aaaa
21:03:00 [krit1]
Zakim, is me
21:03:00 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'is me', krit1
21:03:08 [krit1]
Zakim, aaaa is me
21:03:08 [Zakim]
+krit1; got it
21:04:05 [ed]
regrets+ cyril
21:05:22 [krit1]
ed: and heycam
21:05:38 [ed]
while we're waiting, if you haven't filled out the telcon time page, please do (and make sure your UTC offset is correct for *after* nov 6)
21:05:55 [ed]
regrets+ heycam
21:05:58 [Zakim]
+Tav
21:06:06 [krit1]
ed: where is this page?
21:06:10 [ed]
http://mcc.id.au/2007/03/telcon/index.pl
21:06:26 [Zakim]
+Doug_Schepers
21:08:03 [ed]
chair: ed
21:08:25 [ed]
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=8&month=11&year=2012&p1=195&p2=224&p3=207&p4=240&p5=248&iv=0
21:10:48 [ed]
if you're looking for UTC offsets, see here e.g: http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2012&month=11&day=8&hour=19&min=0&sec=0&p1=195&p2=224&p3=207&p4=240&p5=248
21:13:47 [ed]
so, 21 UTC looks pretty ok
21:14:09 [ed]
http://mcc.id.au/2007/03/telcon/index.pl?op=impossible
21:15:54 [ed]
proposal: http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2012&month=11&day=8&hour=21&min=0&sec=0&p1=195&p2=224&p3=207&p4=240&p5=248
21:18:47 [ed]
RESOLUTION: we'll have the telcon thursdays 21.00-22.30 UTC starting 8 November 2012
21:20:14 [ed]
scribeNick: ed
21:20:22 [ed]
topic: TPAC telcon (nov 1)
21:20:25 [krit1]
Zakim, who is on the phone?
21:20:25 [Zakim]
On the phone I see birtles, ed, krit1, Tav, Doug_Schepers
21:20:45 [ed]
dirk: i won't be at tpac thu-fri
21:21:16 [ed]
ds: i'll be there
21:21:59 [ed]
ED: let's cancel the nov 1 telcon then
21:22:14 [ed]
topic: Filter Effects 1.0 publication status
21:22:48 [ed]
ed: ready to be published, transition request approved
21:23:18 [ed]
... pending pubrules checks and actual publication
21:23:52 [ed]
dirk: think the spec is in good shape
21:24:08 [ed]
topic: radialGradient @fr
21:24:15 [ed]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2012Oct/0001.html
21:24:46 [ed]
dirk: not very controversial, can fr be larger than r?
21:25:09 [ed]
... think it should be able to
21:25:13 [ed]
... canvas allows it
21:25:47 [ed]
tav: didn't we already decide to follow canvas?
21:25:57 [Zakim]
+cabanier
21:27:00 [ed]
ed: did you find any content relying on the old behaviour (apart from the testsuite)?
21:27:12 [ed]
dirk: one comment from dr olaf hoffmann
21:27:23 [ed]
... and maybe there was something from dailey too
21:28:12 [ed]
ed: so, in the webkit impl now there's no clamping, just the same as in canvas?
21:28:15 [ed]
dirk: correct
21:29:32 [ed]
ed: do we want to move the testcase in the testsuite back to draft status, or just leave it as-is?
21:29:43 [ed]
dirk: let's leave it and then make new testcases instead
21:30:31 [ed]
ed: will check if we have any content relying on the old behaviour internally
21:31:16 [ed]
topic: css clip property
21:31:31 [ed]
dirk: csswg resolved to move clip to the css masking spec
21:31:55 [ed]
... clip is different in SVG 1.1, due to reference to CSS2.0
21:32:38 [ed]
... the behaviour for auto is different, we should follow css2.1
21:32:55 [ed]
ED: we've already decided to follow css2.1 I think, so that should be fine
21:33:34 [ed]
... my experience with 'clip' in svg content is that it's unreliable across browsers
21:34:03 [ed]
dirk: it's also limited to applying to elemetns that establish viewports
21:34:41 [ed]
... if csswg wants to keep it then maybe it should apply to more elements
21:35:05 [ed]
... but if they want to deprecate it, then leave it more or less as it is
21:35:52 [ed]
ed: there's a lack of tests for 'clip' in the svg testsuite
21:36:02 [ed]
dirk: we should start writing more tests for svg
21:36:43 [ed]
... can we resolve that clip: auto has no effect in svg?
21:37:02 [ed]
ed: does it have an effect in html?
21:37:09 [ed]
dirk: no, no effect
21:37:36 [ed]
ed: ok, in that case svg should do the same (that is have no effect)
21:38:11 [ed]
RESOLUTION: clip: 'auto' should have no effect in svg
21:38:20 [ed]
s/svg/svg2
21:39:02 [ed]
topic: removing masking & clipping from svg2 spec
21:39:24 [ed]
dirk: can i remove the parts in svg2, and reference css masking instead?
21:39:35 [ed]
... like we do for filter effects
21:39:40 [ed]
rik: sounds reasonable
21:40:19 [ed]
ed: as long as it keeps backwards compat that should be fine
21:40:47 [ed]
tav: should have a short paragraph of text for masking/clipping in svg2 still
21:40:54 [ed]
dirk: ok, i can do that
21:41:39 [ed]
RESOLUTION: svg2 will reference CSS Masking
21:42:19 [ed]
topic: connectors
21:42:38 [ed]
tav: we talked about ports being defined in objbbox space
21:43:02 [ed]
... should be defined in userspace so that if a rect gets skewed the ports move with the shape
21:43:30 [ed]
... so that if you transform the shape the ports get transformed too
21:44:08 [ed]
shepazu: was thinking precentages as being defined in css, relative to bbox
21:44:21 [ed]
dirk: that's a different thing
21:44:40 [ed]
... i'd agree with tav
21:45:49 [ed]
shepazu: if i said something was 50% x and 100% y, and it was in a rect, i'd expect that to be in the 50%,100% bbox of the shape not of the parent
21:46:16 [ed]
tav: ok, but if you skew the rect, so the points move with the sides
21:46:38 [ed]
shepazu: if you say that's what it means that's fine
21:47:42 [ed]
... what would you expect if i had a rect 100x50
21:48:12 [ed]
... and a point inside that, x,y = 50,50
21:48:27 [ed]
... where would you expect that to be, if the rect's x,y was 100,100
21:48:56 [ed]
tav: the center of the bottom of the box
21:50:27 [shepazu]
<rect x=100 y=100 width=100 height=50><point x=50 y=50/></rect>
21:50:41 [Zakim]
-Tav
21:51:23 [Zakim]
+Tav
21:52:59 [ed]
shepazu: in the example i just pasted in, you'd expect the point in abs coords 150,150?
21:53:10 [ed]
tav: yes
21:53:17 [ed]
shepazu: that's what i'd want
21:53:30 [ed]
tav: the pretransformed bbox
21:54:09 [ed]
... the connector shouldn't be defined in terms of the object
21:54:20 [ed]
... they don't belong to the object
21:54:27 [krit1]
shepazu: do you mean 150,125?
21:54:29 [ed]
shepazu: they do, but it's different
21:55:32 [ed]
RESOLUTION: points inside shape elements are in the coordinate space of the shape element
21:56:20 [ed]
tav: shepazu you're working on the connectors spec now?
21:56:42 [ed]
shepazu: yes, cleaned up on the flight back
21:57:02 [Zakim]
-birtles
21:59:14 [ed]
topic: wpd (svgwow)
21:59:32 [ed]
shepazu: svg wow demos?
21:59:53 [ed]
ed: had a plan to move the published content to github, will try to do that soon
22:00:17 [ed]
... should make it easier for ppl
22:01:09 [ed]
http://webplatform.org
22:02:05 [ed]
dirk: svg parts are lacking polish
22:02:15 [ed]
shepazu: please help out with that :)
22:02:36 [ed]
dirk: it's hard to find things
22:02:53 [ed]
shepazu: it will get better
22:03:12 [Zakim]
-Doug_Schepers
22:03:17 [Zakim]
-Tav
22:03:18 [Zakim]
-ed
22:03:23 [Zakim]
-krit1
22:03:32 [Zakim]
-cabanier
22:03:33 [Zakim]
GA_SVGWG(SVG1)5:00PM has ended
22:03:33 [Zakim]
Attendees were birtles, [IPcaller], ed, +1.415.832.aaaa, krit1, Tav, Doug_Schepers, cabanier
22:04:08 [ed]
trackbot, end telcon
22:04:08 [trackbot]
Zakim, list attendees
22:04:08 [Zakim]
sorry, trackbot, I don't know what conference this is
22:04:16 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, please draft minutes
22:04:16 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/10/11-svg-minutes.html trackbot
22:04:17 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, bye
22:04:17 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items