IRC log of tagmem on 2012-10-09

Timestamps are in UTC.

08:08:00 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #tagmem
08:08:00 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/10/09-tagmem-irc
08:08:04 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #tagmem
08:08:10 [Yves]
trackbot, start telcon
08:08:13 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
08:08:15 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be TAG
08:08:15 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see TAG_f2f()3:00AM scheduled to start 68 minutes ago
08:08:15 [Yves]
Scribe: Yves
08:08:16 [trackbot]
Meeting: Technical Architecture Group Teleconference
08:08:16 [trackbot]
Date: 09 October 2012
08:08:20 [Yves]
Topic: approval of minutes
08:08:27 [noah]
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2012/09/20-minutes
08:08:36 [Yves]
RESOLUTION: minutes of 20 approved
08:08:37 [noah]
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2012/09/27-minutes
08:08:39 [Yves]
RESOLUTION: minutes of 27 approved
08:09:03 [noah]
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/index-2012-09-26.html
08:09:29 [Yves]
Topic: TAG priorities
08:09:31 [noah]
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/index-2012-09-26.html
08:13:06 [Yves]
Noah: for Fragment identifier document, do we need CR?
08:13:44 [Yves]
Yves: yes CR is mandatory as you must prove interoperability (technically, CR can be skipped if there is evidence)
08:14:13 [Yves]
Larry: the specification contains lots of recommendations for media type registration for example
08:14:52 [Yves]
Larry: happy to change the REC date to be the CR date (then wait for "implementation" evidence)
08:15:34 [Yves]
Ashok: we need to spell out the exit criteria
08:19:26 [Yves]
Larry: as it can be implemented, we should go through CR
08:21:45 [Yves]
Yves: we can already have implementation, so we need first to outline the exit criteria
08:23:38 [Yves]
Noah: we need to have an action to create exit criteria
08:26:16 [JeniT]
ACTION: Jeni to with Larry work out what the exit criteria from CR for fragids best practices should be
08:26:16 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-754 - With Larry work out what the exit criteria from CR for fragids best practices should be [on Jeni Tennison - due 2012-10-16].
08:26:23 [Yves]
Larry: we need to put attention to steps that engage the community, so it makes sense to push our schedule to accomodate communicating with the community
08:27:15 [Yves]
Publishing and Linking
08:27:40 [Yves]
Noah: someone working on starting a community group?
08:27:52 [Yves]
Larry: wondering if it is the right step
08:28:49 [Yves]
Ashok: what are the exit criteria here?
08:29:04 [Yves]
Yves: is REC the right track? shouldn't it be a TAG finding?
08:30:12 [masinter]
q+
08:30:50 [Yves]
Larry: when we put the schedule together, we had best practise in the document. We moved incrementally best practises out of the document
08:31:54 [Yves]
Noah: we promised a REC, we may have now more insight and decide that it was not the right format
08:32:42 [Yves]
Larry: we will do another editorial pass on the document. Thinking of the exit criteria after the next iteration is a good idea
08:34:24 [noah]
. ACTION: Larry, with help from Ashok (and TAG), 1) decide exit criteria on Publishing & Linking 2) Rec track vs. Finding 3) Update product page to match
08:35:09 [noah]
ACTION: Larry, with help from Ashok (and TAG), 1) decide exit criteria on Publishing & Linking 2) Rec track vs. Finding 3) Update product page to match - Due 2012-10-16
08:35:09 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find Larry,. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/users>.
08:35:25 [noah]
ACTION: Larry with help from Ashok (and TAG), 1) decide exit criteria on Publishing & Linking 2) Rec track vs. Finding 3) Update product page to match - Due 2012-10-16
08:35:25 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-755 - with help from Ashok (and TAG), 1) decide exit criteria on Publishing & Linking 2) Rec track vs. Finding 3) Update product page to match [on Larry Masinter - due 2012-10-16].
08:36:00 [Ashok]
Ashok has joined #tagmem
08:36:01 [Yves]
URI Documentation Discovery
08:36:13 [Yves]
product page should be updated before TPAC
08:37:32 [Yves]
Noah: there are also lower priority items that might (or not) become higher priority topic
08:38:29 [Yves]
Ashok: Web application storage should be transformed into offline applications, we will then decide what to do with it
08:38:35 [Stuart]
Stuart has joined #tagmem
08:39:36 [Yves]
JeniT: we might look at distributed web applications, with data exchanged between different services (at different locations)
08:40:45 [Yves]
about registered protocol handlers, web intents, and accessing your own data from an online service
08:41:07 [Yves]
(can be tied to open data)
08:41:23 [Yves]
Ashok: will it involve synchronization?
08:41:40 [Yves]
local data to global data
08:42:54 [Yves]
Tim: it's an independant problem
08:47:19 [Yves]
Noah: is the TAG interested in this topic, and should Jeni work on a more detailed proposal?
08:47:29 [Yves]
... yes
08:48:45 [Yves]
Tim: another interesting thing is to look at a specific technology or topic and find out what are the missing pieces
08:51:19 [Yves]
Larry: how do we update the architecture document to match what people needs
08:53:45 [JeniT]
ACTION: Jeni to draft rough product page / briefing pape for "distributed web applications"
08:53:45 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-756 - Draft rough product page / briefing pape for "distributed web applications" [on Jeni Tennison - due 2012-10-16].
08:54:09 [Yves]
Noah: it is good information to have a timeline and the kind of document we want to produce
08:55:26 [Yves]
Jeni: do we need to change the arch doc wrt issue-57?
08:56:26 [Yves]
Noah: the goal by itself is not updating webarch
08:56:57 [masinter]
perhaps we need to add, before we close an item, to review webarch & web presence
08:57:40 [masinter]
q+
08:59:08 [Yves]
Larry: before we close an item, we should add another step: go back and update webarch if needed
08:59:34 [Yves]
keep this an alive document
09:01:17 [masinter]
q-
09:01:25 [Yves]
Noah: the goal of a topic is not to publish a document but to help the community, we failed to get input from the community one year after to see if it helped or not
09:02:23 [Yves]
ht: I agree with Tim, AWWW is an historical document.
09:02:33 [noah]
NM: Maybe I should come up with a plan for going over our recently closed work to check on whether success criteria are being met
09:03:04 [Yves]
ht: the world moved on, with new complexities
09:03:06 [noah]
ACTION: Noah to think about how to evaluate results vs. success criteria on closed work - Due 2013-01-01
09:03:06 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-757 - think about how to evaluate results vs. success criteria on closed work [on Noah Mendelsohn - due 2013-01-01].
09:03:24 [masinter]
q+ to add 'persistence' and 'security infrastructure & architecture' as potential projects
09:03:47 [noah]
ack mext
09:03:50 [noah]
ack next
09:03:52 [Zakim]
masinter, you wanted to add 'persistence' and 'security infrastructure & architecture' as potential projects
09:04:20 [Yves]
Larry: persistence of identifier is too narrow, persistence of document is important
09:06:37 [noah]
LM: Not sure I have time to lead this
09:07:38 [Yves]
Larry: we need also work on security
09:07:46 [Yves]
Ashok: who should work on that?
09:08:44 [Yves]
Noah: who wants to works with the security community to figure out where the TAG could be helpful?
09:11:52 [masinter]
/me Larry: Getting more security/network protocol/IETF experience on the TAG would also be helpful. Know any other candidates? / reply: Not really but I will keep my eyes open. I'm still sort of learning which direction is up at W3C.
09:11:52 [masinter]
09:13:12 [noah]
ACTION: Ashok, working with experts in security community, to suggest projects TAG might undertake relating to security - Due: 2012-11-20
09:13:12 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find Ashok,. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/users>.
09:13:16 [masinter]
/me Larry: Getting more security/network protocol/IETF experience on the TAG would also be helpful. Know any other candidates? reply: Not really but I will keep my eyes open. I'm still sort of learning which direction is up at W3C.
09:13:16 [masinter]
09:13:19 [noah]
ACTION: Ashok working with experts in security community, to suggest projects TAG might undertake relating to security - Due: 2012-11-20
09:13:19 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-758 - Working with experts in security community, to suggest projects TAG might undertake relating to security - Due: 2012-11-20 [on Ashok Malhotra - due 2012-10-16].
09:21:38 [Yves]
Noah: we should go through our issue list and check if there are issues we could make progress as work items