IRC log of dap on 2012-10-03

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:30:58 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #dap
13:30:58 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/10/03-dap-irc
13:31:00 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
13:31:00 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #dap
13:31:02 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be DAP
13:31:02 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see UW_DAP()10:00AM scheduled to start in 29 minutes
13:31:03 [trackbot]
Meeting: Device APIs Working Group Teleconference
13:31:03 [trackbot]
Date: 03 October 2012
13:35:38 [fjh]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0009.html
13:36:13 [fjh]
Chair: Frederick_Hirsch
13:36:27 [fjh]
Present+ Frederick_Hirsch
13:52:34 [glenn]
glenn has joined #dap
13:55:03 [dtran]
dtran has joined #dap
13:55:11 [dtran]
Present+ Dzung_Tran
13:55:43 [Clarke]
Clarke has joined #dap
13:55:58 [ccourtney]
ccourtney has joined #dap
13:56:13 [ccourtney]
Present+ Colin_Courtney
13:56:14 [richt]
richt has joined #dap
13:57:11 [Zakim]
UW_DAP()10:00AM has now started
13:57:18 [Zakim]
+ +1.757.825.aaaa
13:59:11 [Jungkee]
Jungkee has joined #dap
13:59:19 [Jungkee]
Present+ Jungkee_Song
13:59:51 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
14:00:01 [fjh]
zakim, [IPcaller] is me
14:00:01 [Zakim]
+fjh; got it
14:00:08 [richt_]
richt_ has joined #dap
14:00:10 [Clarke]
Present+ Clarke_Stevens
14:02:03 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
14:02:09 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller.a]
14:02:14 [Zakim]
+ +1.503.542.aabb
14:02:18 [richt_]
Zakim, +[IPcaller] is me
14:02:18 [Zakim]
sorry, richt_, I do not recognize a party named '+[IPcaller]'
14:02:40 [Jungkee]
zakim, [IPcaller.a] is me
14:02:40 [Zakim]
+Jungkee; got it
14:03:20 [richt]
Present+ Rich_Tibbett
14:03:21 [Cathy]
Cathy has joined #dap
14:03:56 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
14:03:56 [Zakim]
On the phone I see +1.757.825.aaaa, fjh, richt_, Jungkee, +1.503.542.aabb (muted)
14:03:58 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Cathy, richt, Jungkee, ccourtney, Clarke, dtran, Zakim, RRSAgent, fjh, AlexanderSalas, lgombos, Josh_Soref, tobie, mounir, hiroto_away, trackbot, dom
14:04:08 [fjh]
zakim, where is 503?
14:04:08 [Zakim]
North American dialing code 1.503 is Oregon
14:04:27 [ccourtney]
zakim, aaaa is ccourtney
14:04:27 [Zakim]
+ccourtney; got it
14:04:28 [dtran]
zakim, 503 is me
14:04:29 [Zakim]
sorry, dtran, I do not recognize a party named '503'
14:04:42 [fjh]
Regrets+ Josh_Soref
14:04:43 [dtran]
zakim, aabb is me
14:04:43 [Zakim]
+dtran; got it
14:04:48 [fjh]
ScribeNick: fjh
14:05:01 [fjh]
Topic: Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements
14:05:37 [fjh]
fjh: here is the information about publishing moratoria (week of 29 October, 14 Dec - 2 Jan) https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-apis/2012May/0000.html
14:05:57 [fjh]
fjh: I've heard that one cannot publish further out from TPAC but could not find a notice on the chairs list
14:06:03 [Zakim]
+??P38
14:06:12 [Cathy]
zakim, ??P38 is me
14:06:12 [Zakim]
+Cathy; got it
14:06:30 [fjh]
Topic: Minutes approval
14:06:38 [fjh]
Approve 26 Sept 2012 minutes: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Sep/att-0131/minutes-2012-09-26.html
14:06:46 [fjh]
RESOLUTION: Minutes from 26 Sept 2012 are approved
14:07:09 [fjh]
Topic: "Network Service Discovery" - publish updated WD
14:07:16 [fjh]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0004.html
14:07:18 [Zakim]
+ +46.1.07.15.aacc
14:07:34 [fjh]
fjh: I understand there is a draft ready to publish an updated WD despite ongoing discussion on the list
14:07:48 [nwidell]
nwidell has joined #dap
14:07:49 [fjh]
richt: correct, I think we should publish the improvements and continue the discussion on the list
14:08:37 [fjh]
fjh: I sent a message to the list asking if there was any concern with deciding on the call to publish, saw no concern raised
14:08:51 [fjh]
fjh: it is a good idea to publish early and often, keep things current and make people aware of the latest work
14:09:03 [fjh]
proposed RESOLUTION: The DAP WG agrees to publish an updated WD of "Network Service Discovery", on 4 October 2012, see http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/discovery-api/WD.html
14:09:19 [fjh]
fjh: any object or concern with publishing an updated draft?
14:09:26 [fjh]
hear no objection
14:09:34 [fjh]
RESOLUTION: The DAP WG agrees to publish an updated WD of "Network Service Discovery", on 4 October 2012, see http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/discovery-api/WD.html
14:09:43 [fjh]
fjh: Thanks Rich for all your help with this
14:09:49 [fjh]
richt: thanks Cathy for the review
14:10:12 [fjh]
action: fjh to make publication request for Network Service Discovery
14:10:12 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-583 - Make publication request for Network Service Discovery [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2012-10-10].
14:10:48 [fjh]
nwidell: is the relationship or overlap with Web Intents addendum, a concern
14:11:22 [fjh]
richt: there is some difference in approach of the two, different scope, but will need time to clarify the relationship
14:11:44 [fjh]
nwidell: ok with specs going foward with different use cases, but do we need a note to clarify the difference
14:12:12 [fjh]
richt: need to figure out what to write
14:13:31 [fjh]
fjh: perhaps we should clarify on the home page
14:15:25 [fjh]
fjh: these are different levels of the stack, Web Intents at a higher level allows user mediated service inclusion in a web page, network discovery at lower level of local services disccovery
14:15:30 [fjh]
fjh: did I get this right
14:15:34 [fjh]
richt: yes
14:15:59 [fjh]
richt: we probably should avoid confusing things with more text but might want to clarify on the home page
14:16:02 [richt]
richt: it probably makes sense to clarify the deliverables on the DAP home page or on the mailing list further.
14:16:02 [fjh]
nwidell: ok
14:16:40 [Zakim]
+ +1.303.661.aadd
14:17:41 [fjh]
fjh: could also clarify on w3 description page however not sure how much this is looked at
14:17:51 [fjh]
zakim, where is 303?
14:17:51 [Zakim]
North American dialing code 1.303 is Colorado
14:18:33 [fjh]
fjh: please continue the discussion that is ongoing on the list, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Sep/0141.html
14:18:47 [fjh]
Topic: "Web Intents Addendum - Local Services" FPWD
14:18:48 [richt]
Network Service Discovery Working Draft has been prepared and uploaded at dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/discovery-api/WD.html
14:18:56 [richt]
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/discovery-api/WD.html FYI
14:19:20 [fjh]
s|Topic: "Web Intents Addendum - Local Services" FPWD||
14:19:27 [fjh]
Topic: "Web Intents Addendum - Local Services" FPWD
14:19:37 [fjh]
FPWD publication in progress for 4 October 2012, https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/523263026147/wi-addendum-local-services/FPWD/FPWD.html
14:19:45 [fjh]
member only chairs list - https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2012OctDec/0004.html
14:19:57 [fjh]
fjh: publication in progress, should be published tomorrow.
14:20:03 [Clarke]
Zakim, aadd is Clarke
14:20:03 [Zakim]
+Clarke; got it
14:20:07 [fjh]
Topic: Pick Contacts Web Intent
14:20:15 [fjh]
CfC extended to 22 October - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0000.html
14:20:42 [AlexanderSalas]
Present+ Alexander_Salas
14:20:56 [Jungkee]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0002.html
14:21:22 [fjh]
jungkee: wish to discuss this on mailing list, ??? and filtering capability
14:21:27 [Clarke_]
Clarke_ has joined #dap
14:21:41 [fjh]
s/\?\?\?/startActivity/
14:22:11 [fjh]
fjh: it would be good to have list discussion before the F2F so we can resolve at the F2F
14:22:35 [fjh]
nwidell: were not extras already removed from Web Intents specification
14:22:38 [fjh]
fjh: I think so
14:23:13 [fjh]
jungkee: the information can be put elsewhere to support the use case
14:23:16 [fjh]
s/I think so/yes/
14:23:35 [fjh]
junkgee: we will need to figure out what to do if we want to have this use case
14:24:56 [fjh]
fjh: we can now cleanly have various JSON key value pairs so should be able to have this information
14:25:19 [fjh]
fjh: you had -1 to CfC since we need to filter not just receive entire contact
14:25:36 [fjh]
nwidell: yes, data minimization is importat
14:25:42 [fjh]
s/importat/important/
14:26:12 [fjh]
nwidell: at a minimum need some ability to say what is wanted, to avoid always requesting all
14:26:33 [fjh]
fjh: please continue this on the list
14:26:40 [nwidell]
Present+ Niklas_Widell
14:27:01 [fjh]
Topic: Pick Media Intent
14:27:09 [fjh]
Demo posted, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0001.html
14:27:33 [fjh]
jungkee: this is the demo I showed at the last F2F
14:27:37 [Jungkee]
http://jungkees.github.com/media-intent/
14:28:00 [fjh]
... put two services in this , flickr and youtube search with keywords
14:28:42 [fjh]
jungkee: try it out, demo to help move the spec forward
14:28:54 [fjh]
... "I would like to find some service and content provider who can volunteer to implement better reference services
14:29:16 [fjh]
fjh: we need to figure out how to reach out to non-WG members
14:29:28 [fjh]
jungkee: need to reach out via Web Intents, maybe Google can help
14:29:52 [fjh]
fjh: I note that your message went to the WebIntents list and TF chairs
14:30:28 [fjh]
jungkee: want to talk about metadata and service level protocol information
14:30:48 [fjh]
... need to integrate with other services
14:31:21 [fjh]
Topic: TPAC F2F planning
14:31:31 [fjh]
Deadline for TPAC registration is end of next week (well, 16 Oct), do not wait until end: http://www.w3.org/2012/10/TPAC/Overview.html#Registration
14:31:46 [fjh]
fjh: if you do not register by the deadline the daily fee goes up by a large amount
14:31:58 [fjh]
also, please complete WG questionnaire (before Friday this week) https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/43696/dapf2ftpac2012/
14:32:13 [fjh]
fjh: please complete WG questionnaire if you have not, even if you do not plan to attend or if you plan to dial in
14:32:28 [fjh]
Draft agenda (updated) http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/F2F_Agenda_1-2_November_TPAC_Lyon_France
14:32:54 [fjh]
fjh: have updated draft agenda with breaks/lunch. Please review and comment on list if needed, otherwise we will work to this.
14:33:08 [fjh]
fjh: also changed day start/end times so please look at it
14:33:21 [fjh]
Topic: Action review
14:33:31 [fjh]
close ACTION-580
14:33:31 [trackbot]
ACTION-580 Extend CfC for removing search from Pick Contacts Intent closed
14:33:40 [fjh]
ACTION-581?
14:33:40 [trackbot]
ACTION-581 -- Frederick Hirsch to follow up on converting shelved documents to Notes (possibly not published), addressing question of shortname for revised Rec document... -- due 2012-10-03 -- OPEN
14:33:40 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/581
14:34:15 [fjh]
fjh: on approach plan to continue current approach, details outlined here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0006.html
14:34:35 [darobin]
darobin has joined #dap
14:35:13 [fjh]
fjh: all working drafts change during development, that is to be expected, but if we set one aside knowing it will change later, we need to be really clear with a note in the document
14:35:23 [fjh]
fjh: we've done that for all but sensors, need to update that one
14:35:52 [fjh]
fjh: also shelved calendar - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0008.html
14:36:12 [fjh]
close ACTION-581
14:36:12 [trackbot]
ACTION-581 Follow up on converting shelved documents to Notes (possibly not published), addressing question of shortname for revised Rec document... closed
14:36:45 [fjh]
fjh: I have started following up with people on actions offline but have not completed doing so
14:36:54 [fjh]
ACTION-474?
14:36:54 [trackbot]
ACTION-474 -- Adrian Bateman to make a proposal for Network Information API -- due 2012-10-15 -- OPEN
14:36:54 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/474
14:37:07 [fjh]
fjh: Adrian indeed is working on this, still in progress
14:37:23 [fjh]
ACTION-474: Adrian indeed is working on this, still in progress
14:37:23 [trackbot]
ACTION-474 Make a proposal for Network Information API notes added
14:37:59 [fjh]
Topic: Other Business
14:38:04 [Jungkee]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-api-design-20121002/
14:38:20 [fjh]
Web API Design Cookbook has been published
14:38:27 [Jungkee]
ACTION-568
14:38:41 [fjh]
s/ACTION-568//
14:38:47 [fjh]
close ACTION-568
14:38:47 [trackbot]
ACTION-568 Work with Robin to move darobin to move API Cookbook to w3c space and prepare for publication as W3C FPWD NOTE closed
14:38:57 [fjh]
s/Topic: Other Business//
14:39:02 [fjh]
Topic: Other Business
14:39:37 [fjh]
fjh: no call next week, next call is 17 October, see schedule http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html
14:39:56 [Cathy]
Present+ Cathy_Chan
14:40:55 [Zakim]
-richt_
14:40:57 [Zakim]
- +46.1.07.15.aacc
14:40:57 [Zakim]
-Clarke
14:40:59 [Zakim]
-Cathy
14:41:01 [Zakim]
-Jungkee
14:41:08 [Zakim]
-dtran
14:41:10 [nwidell]
Zakim, aacc is nwidell
14:41:10 [Zakim]
sorry, nwidell, I do not recognize a party named 'aacc'
14:41:29 [fjh]
fjh: please review the F2F agenda and think how we can prepare to have a productive F2F. Any materials shared or issues raised on the list in advance would be very helpful.
14:41:40 [fjh]
fjh: Please also continue list discussions on ongoing issues
14:41:46 [fjh]
fjh: thanks
14:41:50 [fjh]
Topic: Adjourn
14:41:52 [Zakim]
-ccourtney
14:41:54 [fjh]
rrsagent, generate minutes
14:41:54 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/10/03-dap-minutes.html fjh
14:43:31 [fjh_]
fjh_ has joined #dap
14:45:01 [Zakim]
-fjh
14:45:02 [Zakim]
UW_DAP()10:00AM has ended
14:45:02 [Zakim]
Attendees were +1.757.825.aaaa, fjh, +1.503.542.aabb, richt_, Jungkee, ccourtney, dtran, Cathy, +46.1.07.15.aacc, +1.303.661.aadd, Clarke
14:54:28 [fjh_]
fjh_ has left #dap
15:36:03 [darobin_]
darobin_ has joined #dap
15:57:58 [richt_]
richt_ has joined #dap
16:41:27 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #dap
17:36:46 [sicking]
sicking has joined #dap
19:05:07 [sicking]
sicking has joined #dap
19:30:53 [sicking]
sicking has joined #dap
20:18:39 [sicking]
sicking has joined #dap
20:39:06 [sicking]
sicking has joined #dap
20:44:09 [sicking]
sicking has joined #dap