IRC log of rd on 2012-09-05

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:11:48 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #rd
13:11:48 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/09/05-rd-irc
13:11:50 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
13:11:50 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #rd
13:11:52 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 7394
13:11:52 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see WAI_RDWG()9:30AM scheduled to start in 19 minutes
13:11:53 [trackbot]
Meeting: Research and Development Working Group Teleconference
13:11:53 [trackbot]
Date: 05 September 2012
13:11:58 [shadi]
Chair: Abou-Zahra_Shadi
13:11:58 [shadi]
Regrets+ Harper_Simon
13:11:58 [shadi]
Agenda+ Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments) [sharper]
13:11:58 [shadi]
Agenda+ E2R Call Status (10m) - http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Topic_4_pre-call [klaus]
13:11:58 [shadi]
Agenda+ Metrics W3C Note Status (5m) [shadi]
13:11:59 [shadi]
Agenda+ Next Topic Discussions (10m) [all]
13:12:01 [shadi]
Agenda+ CfP Simplified Page Format (15m) [peter]
13:12:03 [shadi]
Agenda+ New Symposium Web Page Designs (5m) [shawn]
13:12:05 [shadi]
Agenda+ Alternative Teleconferencing Service (15m) [shadi]
13:12:07 [shadi]
Agenda+ Alternative Conference Publishing Venues (15m) [all]
13:12:10 [shadi]
Agenda+ Issues and Actions (Standing Item): https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/ [sharper]
13:12:11 [shadi]
Agenda+ Any Other Business (Standing Item) [sharper]
13:13:41 [shadi]
regrets+ Luz
13:14:05 [vivienne]
vivienne has joined #rd
13:24:41 [Klaus]
Klaus has joined #rd
13:25:11 [Zakim]
WAI_RDWG()9:30AM has now started
13:25:17 [Zakim]
+??P6
13:25:55 [Klaus]
zakim, ??P6 is me
13:25:55 [Zakim]
+Klaus; got it
13:26:12 [Klaus]
zakim, mute me
13:26:12 [Zakim]
sorry, Klaus, muting is not permitted when only one person is present
13:28:12 [Zakim]
+Shadi
13:28:22 [annika]
annika has joined #rd
13:28:33 [Zakim]
+??P8
13:28:36 [Justin_]
Justin_ has joined #rd
13:29:26 [Justin_]
zakim, ??p8 is me
13:29:26 [Zakim]
+Justin_; got it
13:29:54 [markel]
markel has joined #rd
13:30:08 [Zakim]
+??P9
13:30:13 [vivienne]
zakim, ??P9 is me
13:30:13 [Zakim]
+vivienne; got it
13:30:39 [Zakim]
+??P10
13:30:43 [shawn]
shawn has joined #rd
13:30:50 [Zakim]
+??P11
13:30:55 [markel]
zakim, ??P10 is markel
13:30:55 [Zakim]
+markel; got it
13:30:58 [Zakim]
+Shawn
13:31:02 [Yehya]
Yehya has joined #rd
13:31:11 [annika]
zakim, ??P11 is annika
13:31:11 [Zakim]
+annika; got it
13:31:27 [vivienne]
zakim, mute me
13:31:27 [Zakim]
vivienne should now be muted
13:31:35 [giorgio]
giorgio has joined #rd
13:31:36 [Zakim]
+Klaus/Johannes/Thomas
13:31:43 [annika]
zakim , mute me
13:32:11 [Yehya]
zakim, Klaus/Johannes/Thomas is Yehya
13:32:11 [Zakim]
+Yehya; got it
13:32:14 [Zakim]
+??P14
13:32:29 [giorgio]
zakim, ??p14 is giorgio
13:32:29 [Zakim]
+giorgio; got it
13:33:06 [markel]
that's very welcoming ;-)
13:33:32 [shadi]
scribe: giorgio
13:33:38 [shadi]
agenda?
13:33:57 [giorgio]
zakim, take up next
13:33:57 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)" taken up [from sharper]
13:34:09 [shadi]
regrets+ Kerstin
13:34:12 [shadi]
zakim, take up agendum 2
13:34:12 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "E2R Call Status (10m) - http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Topic_4_pre-call" taken up [from klaus via shadi]
13:34:45 [giorgio]
sbz: last week we accepted the e2r call
13:35:15 [giorgio]
s\sbz\saz\
13:35:57 [giorgio]
sab: no changes were notified to the meaning, but lots of improvements in legibility and understandability
13:36:29 [giorgio]
sab: shifting of dates; we need to look again at the timeline
13:36:39 [shadi]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Topic_3_Timeline
13:36:48 [giorgio]
klaus: it would be good to get approval from rdwg on the new timeline
13:37:44 [giorgio]
sab: overlap between e2r and text customization is by design, so that we can more papers around
13:38:00 [giorgio]
s\more\move\
13:38:45 [giorgio]
sab: time for reviewing is fairly compressed
13:40:16 [giorgio]
klaus: the most critical aspects is reviewing time; but it looks like being viable given that thereare 10 days for 1000words papers.
13:41:10 [shawn]
q+ to ask if that timeline means that there is no opportunity for papers submitted to e2r to move to tc4r (which is unlikely anyway)? SEPARATE POINT: chairs on each are on SC for the other. will they be expected to do reviews as well?
13:41:24 [shawn]
ack me
13:41:25 [giorgio]
klaus: will persuade reviewers to becompliant with the schedule
13:41:26 [Zakim]
shawn, you wanted to ask if that timeline means that there is no opportunity for papers submitted to e2r to move to tc4r (which is unlikely anyway)? SEPARATE POINT: chairs on each
13:41:26 [Zakim]
... are on SC for the other. will they be expected to do reviews as well?
13:42:14 [giorgio]
shawn: is the timeline ok if the scientific committee finds that a paper needs to be moved between the two symposia?
13:43:08 [vivienne]
Shawn, do you have any idea how many papers we should expect to review in that time frame?
13:43:19 [giorgio]
shawn: T&C PC members should watch if there arepapers that should be moved
13:43:36 [giorgio]
klaus: agreed and will make shawn aware of such a chance.
13:43:39 [Klaus]
zakim, mute me
13:43:39 [Zakim]
Klaus should now be muted
13:44:40 [giorgio]
shawn: some people belong to both scientic groups and may be overloaded by revieweing for e2r and for t&c
13:45:36 [giorgio]
giorgio corrects: shawn is concerned mayly for editors/chairs of T&C that will have to review fore2r
13:45:54 [giorgio]
s\mayly\mainly\
13:45:59 [shawn]
q+ to clarify I DO support coordination of topics!
13:46:10 [Klaus]
q+
13:46:15 [shawn]
ack Klaus
13:46:17 [Klaus]
zakim, unmute me
13:46:17 [Zakim]
Klaus was not muted, Klaus
13:46:59 [giorgio]
klaus: everything depends by the number of papers. 15-20 submissions to e2r will be manageable and we can avoid loading the chairs of T&C.
13:47:22 [giorgio]
klaus: if more than 20 then we will need all the scientific members
13:47:23 [Klaus]
zakim, mute me
13:47:23 [Zakim]
Klaus should now be muted
13:47:25 [shawn]
ack me
13:47:25 [Zakim]
shawn, you wanted to clarify I DO support coordination of topics!
13:47:40 [giorgio]
shawn: I do support coordination of topics
13:47:42 [giorgio]
q+
13:48:14 [Klaus]
zakim, unmute me
13:48:14 [Zakim]
Klaus should no longer be muted
13:48:29 [giorgio]
giorgio: if moe than 20 papers then I could beinvolved as a reviewer.
13:48:30 [Klaus]
zakim, mute me
13:48:30 [Zakim]
Klaus should now be muted
13:48:53 [shawn]
ack me
13:48:58 [giorgio]
q-
13:51:17 [shawn]
zakim, mute me
13:51:17 [Zakim]
Shawn should now be muted
13:52:03 [giorgio]
saz: shawn suggested capitalization of easy-to-read
13:52:37 [giorgio]
saz: lowercase should be used as an adjective; when capitalized it is a topic
13:52:59 [Klaus]
agreed (-:
13:53:01 [giorgio]
saz: what is klaus' view?
13:53:14 [giorgio]
saz: other questions?
13:53:41 [giorgio]
saz: we received today comments from annika
13:54:28 [Klaus]
tonight or tomorrow morning
13:54:30 [giorgio]
saz: klaus, when will you be able to update?
13:54:44 [shawn]
ack me
13:54:51 [giorgio]
saz: shawn, any restrictions?
13:55:04 [shawn]
ack me
13:55:28 [giorgio]
shawn: I'm available
13:56:22 [giorgio]
shawn: we need to think (European perspective) whether morning or afternoon/eveningis better?
13:56:30 [giorgio]
saz: early CET afternoon might be better
13:57:01 [giorgio]
saz: klaus, tomorrow morning is ok?
13:57:18 [Klaus]
o.k.
13:57:27 [shawn]
s/eveningis better?/evening is better? and end of week OK, or better on Monday?/
13:57:41 [giorgio]
(thanks shawn)
13:58:32 [shawn]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Distribution_Lists
13:59:05 [Klaus]
am ready for sending it out and also to other key interest groups
13:59:17 [shawn]
[ Shawn has meeting at 7:00-8:00am Thursday, but will try to do announcements before or right after ]
13:59:20 [vivienne]
yes, no problem
14:00:06 [shawn]
[ for the record: Klaus & Yeliz did an AWESOME job of getting the tc4r call out riht away!]
14:00:22 [giorgio]
saz: everybody in rdwg is welcome to forward the announcement in any relevant list. but please coordinate with the wiki page to avoid duplications.
14:00:29 [giorgio]
zakim, take up next item
14:00:29 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)" taken up [from sharper]
14:00:36 [giorgio]
zakim, take up next item
14:00:36 [Zakim]
agendum 1 was just opened, giorgio
14:00:39 [shawn]
s/riht away/right away/
14:00:41 [Klaus]
sorry, have to go - THANKS!
14:00:46 [Zakim]
-Klaus
14:00:51 [shadi]
zakim, close agendum 1
14:00:51 [Zakim]
agendum 1, Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments), closed
14:00:53 [Zakim]
I see 8 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
14:00:53 [Zakim]
3. Metrics W3C Note Status (5m) [from shadi]
14:00:55 [giorgio]
ok
14:01:16 [giorgio]
zakim, take up next item
14:01:16 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "Metrics W3C Note Status (5m) " taken up [from shadi]
14:01:29 [shadi]
http://www.w3.org/News/2012#entry-9551
14:01:39 [giorgio]
saz: good news about the 1st publicstion of rdwg being out
14:01:51 [giorgio]
s/publicstion/publication/
14:02:21 [markel]
:-)
14:02:24 [shadi]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2012JulSep/0309.html
14:02:29 [giorgio]
saz: it took longer than anticipated. Thanks to the editor
14:02:37 [giorgio]
s/editor/editors/
14:03:19 [giorgio]
saz: we got some comments, and editors are asked to collect these comments and relay them back to the group for discussion
14:03:42 [giorgio]
saz: questions?
14:03:44 [markel]
q+
14:04:05 [giorgio]
markel: thanks for publishing and releasing the note.
14:04:12 [giorgio]
yes, I'm very happy!
14:04:38 [giorgio]
markel: I read some of the comments, and in the following weeks we will be working on that
14:05:40 [giorgio]
saz: simon will have to monitor the timeline so that in the gaps we can discuss these things, as well as the draft of the mobile symposium
14:06:02 [giorgio]
markel: once the deadline for comments is over, do we have some fixed deadlin to respond?
14:06:25 [giorgio]
saz: any comments that come after the deadline should not be addressed.
14:06:55 [giorgio]
saz: for responding to legitimate comments we have three months to close the publication.
14:07:11 [giorgio]
saz: it's a good practice to acknowledge the comment asap.
14:07:40 [giorgio]
saz: maybe by Dec or Jan we should get back all the comments and thell people how we addressed to each comment.
14:07:49 [giorgio]
s/thell/tell/
14:08:19 [giorgio]
saz: it is important to give n opportunity to the commenter to view how we addressed the comment before the final publication
14:08:32 [giorgio]
s/ n/ an/
14:10:20 [shawn]
q+
14:10:21 [giorgio]
saz: I suggest the editors to be in close touch with simon
14:10:26 [giorgio]
saz: other comments?
14:10:29 [markel]
q-
14:10:30 [shawn]
ack m
14:10:35 [shawn]
ack me
14:10:47 [shawn]
zakim, un mute me
14:10:47 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'un mute me', shawn
14:10:48 [giorgio]
saz: people from rdwg arewelcome to review thedrft.
14:10:50 [shawn]
zakim, unmute me
14:10:50 [Zakim]
Shawn was not muted, shawn
14:11:02 [giorgio]
s/arewelcome/ are welcome/
14:11:13 [giorgio]
s/thedrft/the draft/
14:11:31 [markel]
yes that sounds sensible
14:11:41 [giorgio]
shawn: suggests that editors process the comments and bring to the group the digested solution.
14:11:50 [giorgio]
I agree with shawn
14:12:21 [giorgio]
saz: editors should decide what is worth to bring to the group
14:12:27 [giorgio]
+1
14:13:03 [giorgio]
markel: some comments are sensible. other ones are like "why did you not addressed X or y?"
14:13:23 [giorgio]
markel: we need to put a boundary on possiblechanges, but we as editors will try to decide that
14:14:10 [giorgio]
saz: editors should at least bring the group attention to some of the comments
14:14:20 [giorgio]
saz: please do a preprocessing and filter them
14:14:37 [giorgio]
saz: most comments do not need discussion
14:14:57 [giorgio]
zakim, take up next item
14:14:57 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "Next Topic Discussions (10m)" taken up [from all]
14:15:15 [shadi]
agenda?
14:16:13 [giorgio]
saz: item 4 of agenda is a reminder. please look at the wiki and add topics or emend existing ones explaining why it is important. So that you get traction.
14:17:21 [giorgio]
saz: and also consider if there could be editors willing to do the work
14:17:31 [giorgio]
zakim, take up next item
14:17:31 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "CfP Simplified Page Format (15m)" taken up [from peter]
14:17:59 [vivienne]
sorry, no idea
14:18:01 [giorgio]
saz: not sure what it measn and peter is not with us. anybody familiar with this topic?
14:18:09 [giorgio]
zakim, take up next item
14:18:09 [Zakim]
agendum 5 was just opened, giorgio
14:18:28 [giorgio]
zakim, close item 5
14:18:28 [Zakim]
agendum 5, CfP Simplified Page Format (15m), closed
14:18:29 [Zakim]
I see 5 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
14:18:29 [Zakim]
6. New Symposium Web Page Designs (5m) [from shawn via shadi]
14:19:12 [giorgio]
zakim, take up next item
14:19:12 [Zakim]
agendum 6. "New Symposium Web Page Designs (5m) " taken up [from shawn]
14:19:22 [shawn]
discussion page: http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/RD_Symposia_Design
14:19:34 [shawn]
final draft: http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/rd/home.html
14:20:16 [giorgio]
saz: the overall esign was accepted by the group, and it looks like being liked as well. thank you shawn.
14:21:12 [giorgio]
shawn: there might be small bugs here and there
14:21:27 [giorgio]
saz: we will incorporate this layout for all our symposia.
14:22:16 [giorgio]
shawn: what is the optimal date for putting this layout live?
14:22:57 [giorgio]
shawn: my concern is for people who see first one layout and subsequently thenew one, and might be confused. When shall we switch over?
14:23:08 [giorgio]
q+
14:24:25 [giorgio]
I said that I don't think it is a big issue.
14:24:28 [giorgio]
asap
14:24:40 [markel]
asap too, it does not hurt
14:24:45 [giorgio]
shanw: we shall we do the swittch over?
14:24:58 [vivienne]
shawn, is http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/rd/home.html the final design? I see some colour and link issues here.
14:25:13 [giorgio]
s/shanw: we shall we do the swittch over?/shawn: when shall we do the switch over?/
14:25:25 [giorgio]
saz: what do other people think?
14:25:34 [markel]
it's inevitable to have people surprised, we cannot help it
14:25:43 [giorgio]
saz: let's wait to complete it and then decide
14:25:44 [markel]
surprised=confused
14:26:06 [vivienne]
zakim, unmute me
14:26:06 [Zakim]
vivienne should no longer be muted
14:26:54 [giorgio]
vivienne: hovering on a link the colors change very little
14:28:06 [giorgio]
shawn: is that so important?
14:28:23 [giorgio]
q+
14:28:53 [giorgio]
shawn: visited vs unvisited should be rendered differently. But hovering is not such an issue.
14:29:40 [giorgio]
vivienne: 2nd question: you are using ??? font (I did not understood the words)
14:29:57 [shadi]
s/???/serif
14:31:32 [shawn]
giorgio: agree with Shawn. Tabe focus is good. Vivienne is talking about hovering effect. Don't think need to make it more prominenet.
14:32:19 [shawn]
s/Tabe focus is good./Tab focus is good./
14:32:34 [giorgio]
saz: vivienne please send your suggestions to shawn and CC to the group
14:32:53 [giorgio]
saz: we need to close the call
14:33:20 [markel]
bye!!
14:33:20 [giorgio]
saz: next time we will try a diffeereent teleconf tool!
14:33:26 [vivienne]
bye now
14:33:27 [giorgio]
bye
14:33:29 [vivienne]
vivienne has left #rd
14:33:29 [markel]
markel has left #rd
14:33:31 [annika]
bye
14:33:33 [Zakim]
-Shawn
14:33:34 [Zakim]
-giorgio
14:33:35 [Zakim]
-Shadi
14:33:37 [Zakim]
-Yehya
14:33:39 [Zakim]
-annika
14:33:39 [Zakim]
-vivienne
14:33:42 [Zakim]
-Justin_
14:33:43 [Zakim]
-markel
14:33:45 [Zakim]
WAI_RDWG()9:30AM has ended
14:33:47 [Zakim]
Attendees were Klaus, Shadi, Justin_, vivienne, markel, Shawn, annika, Yehya, giorgio
14:34:08 [shawn]
shawn has left #rd
14:48:15 [shadi]
trackbot, end meeting
14:48:15 [trackbot]
Zakim, list attendees
14:48:15 [Zakim]
sorry, trackbot, I don't know what conference this is
14:48:23 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, please draft minutes
14:48:23 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/09/05-rd-minutes.html trackbot
14:48:24 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, bye
14:48:24 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items