IRC log of i18n on 2012-07-11

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:55:20 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
14:55:20 [RRSAgent]
logging to
14:55:28 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
14:55:37 [aphillip]
trackbot, prepare teleconference
14:55:39 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:55:41 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 4186
14:55:41 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM scheduled to start in 5 minutes
14:55:42 [trackbot]
Meeting: Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference
14:55:42 [trackbot]
Date: 11 July 2012
14:55:59 [aphillip]
14:56:07 [aphillip]
Scribe: Addison Phillips
14:56:19 [aphillip]
ScribeNick: aphillip
14:56:19 [aphillip]
Chair: Addison Phillips
14:56:22 [aphillip]
rrsagent, set logs world
14:56:30 [aphillip]
rrsagent, draft minutes
14:56:30 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
14:56:42 [fsasaki]
fsasaki has joined #i18n
14:56:54 [aphillip]
rrsagent, set logs world-visible
15:01:08 [koji]
koji has joined #i18n
15:01:23 [aphillip]
zakim, who is here?
15:01:23 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM has not yet started, aphillip
15:01:25 [Zakim]
On IRC I see koji, fsasaki, Zakim, RRSAgent, aphillip, Gwyneth, matial, r12a, kennyluck, trackbot
15:01:28 [aphillip]
zakim, this is I18N
15:01:29 [Zakim]
ok, aphillip; that matches I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM
15:01:39 [aphillip]
zakim, code?
15:01:41 [Zakim]
the conference code is 4186 (tel:+1.617.761.6200, aphillip
15:01:53 [DClarke]
DClarke has joined #i18n
15:01:57 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard
15:01:58 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
15:02:01 [Zakim]
15:02:14 [Norbert]
Norbert has joined #i18n
15:02:16 [r12a]
15:02:16 [Zakim]
15:02:23 [r12a]
zakim, drop richard
15:02:23 [Zakim]
Richard is being disconnected
15:02:24 [Zakim]
15:02:27 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard
15:02:27 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
15:02:29 [Zakim]
15:02:44 [Zakim]
15:03:10 [Zakim]
15:03:14 [koji]
zakim, ??P17 is me
15:03:18 [Zakim]
+koji; got it
15:04:08 [Zakim]
15:04:38 [aphillip]
Topic: Agenda
15:05:03 [aphillip]
15:05:07 [aphillip]
Topic: Action Items
15:05:46 [r12a]
15:05:56 [joconner]
joconner has joined #i18n
15:06:46 [aphillip]
close ACTION-132
15:06:46 [trackbot]
ACTION-132 (AND ALL GROUP MEMBERS) review Web Notifications for revew at 27 June WG teleconference closed
15:07:09 [aphillip]
close ACTION-134
15:07:10 [trackbot]
ACTION-134 Send Web Notifications comments closed
15:08:44 [Zakim]
+ +1.408.536.aaaa
15:09:27 [aphillip]
close ACTION-135
15:09:27 [trackbot]
ACTION-135 Publish ruby approaches document as First Public Working Draft and announce closed
15:09:35 [aphillip]
Topic: Info Share
15:11:05 [aphillip]
Topic: ECMAScript Internationalization API
15:11:15 [Norbert]
15:11:24 [aphillip]
norbert: in last two weeks published new version (above link)
15:11:31 [Norbert]
15:11:32 [joconner]
my headset may not be working properly. Adobe is interested in becoming more involved in Ecmascript, and encourages my participation here and with Ecma more. That's my infoshare….and now we're on that topic. Excellent.
15:11:42 [aphillip]
... and my "gentle intro" is at above link
15:11:55 [aphillip]
... there should be a public review, but not sure how that works
15:12:05 [aphillip]
... except maybe public-script-coord@
15:12:14 [aphillip]
... hoping for feedback
15:12:50 [aphillip]
richard: forwarded you email back to winter@ list because your message bounce
15:13:01 [aphillip]
s/you email/your email/
15:13:08 [aphillip]
15:13:34 [aphillip]
norbert: folks can start reviewing
15:13:41 [aphillip]
... can we agenda+ for next week
15:13:46 [aphillip]
chair: got it
15:14:12 [aphillip]
norbert: hope for feedback by July 24-26 (next TC39 meeting)
15:14:27 [joconner]
where is that TC39 meeting?
15:15:01 [aphillip]
norbert: in redmond at MSFT campus
15:15:53 [aphillip]
richard: also forwarded to w3c-team
15:17:11 [aphillip]
addison: notes Alan W-B added Unicode support to ES6 draft
15:17:59 [aphillip]
Topic: IRI vs. SRI [discussion from IRI list]
15:19:04 [aphillip]
15:19:14 [aphillip]
15:19:22 [joconner]
hanging up and redialing in for voice too
15:19:46 [Zakim]
15:19:49 [aphillip]
While the URI specification has been widely deployed, it has long been recognized that many valid URIs, especially those that contain extensive information in the "tail" are unsuitable for user presentation, especially for internationalized environments. IRIs have been proposed as a solution for that problem but inherit (and are constrained by) the complex and sometimes method-dependent syntax model of URIs as well as positional and orde
15:23:16 [aphillip]
15:23:31 [aphillip]
to read next week
15:24:14 [aphillip]
Topic: CSS3 Flexbox
15:24:23 [aphillip]
15:24:46 [aphillip]
15:25:29 [aphillip]
richard: read norbert's email
15:25:36 [aphillip]
... can't think of anything to add/subtract
15:25:50 [Zakim]
15:25:59 [matial]
zakim, ??p7 is me
15:25:59 [Zakim]
+matial; got it
15:26:23 [aphillip]
- Section 8.3 and 8.5 use a flex item's baseline, but don't say how that baseline is determined. CSS 2.1 defines baselines for inline tables and inline blocks, the first as the baseline of the first row of the table, the second as the baseline of its last line box in the normal flow. The latter doesn't seem likely to result in the layout shown in figure 10 in section 8.3, which seems to align based on first lines. Some clarification would be welcome.
15:26:50 [aphillip]
all left-to-right examples
15:26:59 [Zakim]
+ +1.805.302.aabb
15:28:12 [aphillip]
- The markup makes the mention of "hypothetical cross size" at the end of section 9.3 the definition of the term, but I don't see an actual definition there, or anywhere else.
15:28:37 [aphillip]
koji: regarding baseline, there was discussion around april of that
15:28:47 [aphillip]
... need to lookup
15:29:15 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
15:29:22 [koji]
15:30:49 [Norbert]
zakim, who is noisy
15:30:49 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who is noisy', Norbert
15:31:01 [aphillip]
koji: was resolved, but if it didn't get in the spec, we should make feedback
15:31:12 [aphillip]
norbert: will read up on it and adjust accordingly
15:31:26 [DClarke]
zakim, mute me
15:31:26 [Zakim]
dclarke should now be muted
15:32:23 [aphillip]
main comment: need different direction examples
15:33:11 [r12a]
zakim, who's making noise?
15:33:19 [aphillip]
ACTION: Norbert: add CSS3 Flexbox comments to tracker and forward to CSS WG
15:33:21 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-136 - Add CSS3 Flexbox comments to tracker and forward to CSS WG [on Norbert Lindenberg - due 2012-07-18].
15:33:22 [Zakim]
r12a, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: Addison_Phillips (7%)
15:33:43 [aphillip]
Topic: CSS3 Writing-Mode column progression
15:36:08 [koji]
15:36:52 [aphillip]
what is the progression direction when you have both horizontal and vertical in the same book?
15:38:08 [aphillip]
koji: is "right column first" the better solution?
15:38:23 [aphillip]
... if number of columns grow, then computation becomes complex
15:39:07 [aphillip]
... it becomes very theoretical because page-progression and column progression become mixed
15:40:49 [aphillip]
addison: PPD alteration happens on a spread, but not over a larger sequence of pages
15:54:58 [aphillip]
addison: will also ask my colleagues if they have additional feedback
15:55:32 [aphillip]
koji: wirting-modes next week
15:55:44 [aphillip]
... okay to review ED?
15:56:01 [aphillip]
chair: yes
15:56:11 [aphillip]
... review the best document for feedback
15:57:07 [aphillip]
Topic: Web Notifications
15:57:36 [aphillip]
richard: concerns about moving to last call
15:57:47 [aphillip]
... delaying because of our comments
15:58:13 [aphillip]
addison: do they have plans to modify their document?
15:58:50 [aphillip]
richard: two topics
15:59:00 [aphillip]
... i. label fragments
15:59:07 [aphillip]
... ii. whether multiple is allowed
15:59:24 [aphillip]
... and (i) is the one we originally asked for
15:59:57 [aphillip]
... separate directionality from language
16:00:48 [Zakim]
16:01:23 [r12a]
zakim, who's making noise?
16:01:46 [aphillip]
zakim, who is making noise
16:02:01 [aphillip]
richard: helpful to have guidelines to point to at earlier stage
16:02:01 [Zakim]
r12a, listening for 10 seconds I could not identify any sounds
16:02:07 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who is making noise', aphillip
16:06:37 [aphillip]
ACTION: richard: make a wiki page with the basis for general guidelines for everyone to pile on
16:06:37 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-137 - Make a wiki page with the basis for general guidelines for everyone to pile on [on Richard Ishida - due 2012-07-18].
16:07:22 [aphillip]
norbert: withdraw localized fragments?
16:07:26 [aphillip]
richard: second that
16:07:32 [aphillip]
addison: agree
16:10:18 [aphillip]
ACTION: Addison: follow up on Web Notifications in three separate emails to separate threads, closing off localized fragments and direction and asking for resolution on language
16:10:18 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-138 - Follow up on Web Notifications in three separate emails to separate threads, closing off localized fragments and direction and asking for resolution on language [on Addison Phillips - due 2012-07-18].
16:10:45 [aphillip]
Topic: AOB?
16:12:22 [aphillip]
rrsagent, make minutes
16:12:22 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
16:13:15 [Zakim]
16:13:18 [Zakim]
16:13:19 [Zakim]
16:13:22 [Zakim]
16:13:22 [Zakim]
16:13:23 [DClarke]
16:13:33 [Zakim]
16:13:36 [Zakim]
16:13:47 [r12a]
next time i'll mute people in turn in zakim
16:16:52 [joconner]
joconner has left #i18n
16:18:36 [Zakim]
disconnecting the lone participant, Richard, in I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM
16:18:37 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM has ended
16:18:37 [Zakim]
Attendees were Addison_Phillips, Richard, fsasaki, Norbert, Gwyneth, koji, dclarke, +1.408.536.aaaa, joconner, matial, +1.805.302.aabb