IRC log of rd on 2012-06-27

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:26:51 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #rd
13:26:51 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/06/27-rd-irc
13:26:53 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
13:26:53 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #rd
13:26:55 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 7394
13:26:55 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see WAI_RDWG()9:30AM scheduled to start in 4 minutes
13:26:56 [trackbot]
Meeting: Research and Development Working Group Teleconference
13:26:56 [trackbot]
Date: 27 June 2012
13:28:13 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
13:28:13 [Zakim]
WAI_RDWG()9:30AM has not yet started, shadi
13:28:14 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, peter, shadi, nonge_, Mate, trackbot
13:28:23 [shadi]
zakim, this is rdwg
13:28:23 [Zakim]
ok, shadi; that matches WAI_RDWG()9:30AM
13:28:26 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
13:28:26 [Zakim]
On the phone I see ??P5, Shadi
13:28:35 [shadi]
zakim, ??p5 is Justin
13:28:35 [Zakim]
+Justin; got it
13:28:50 [Zakim]
+??P7
13:29:02 [Klaus]
Klaus has joined #rd
13:29:11 [JB]
JB has joined #rd
13:29:19 [JB]
test from justin
13:29:24 [vivienne]
vivienne has joined #rd
13:29:29 [shadi]
zakim, ??p7 is Klaus
13:29:29 [Zakim]
+Klaus; got it
13:29:29 [sharper]
sharper has joined #rd
13:29:41 [sharper]
zakim, agenda?
13:29:41 [Zakim]
I see nothing on the agenda
13:29:51 [sharper]
trackbot, start meeting
13:29:51 [sharper]
zakim, please clear the agenda
13:29:51 [Zakim]
agenda cleared
13:29:53 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
13:29:54 [Zakim]
+??P8
13:29:55 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 7394
13:29:55 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see WAI_RDWG()9:30AM scheduled to start in 1 minute
13:29:56 [trackbot]
Meeting: Research and Development Working Group Teleconference
13:29:56 [trackbot]
Date: 27 June 2012
13:30:04 [peter]
zakim, ??p8 is me
13:30:04 [Zakim]
I already had ??P8 as ??P8, peter
13:30:06 [sharper]
Chair: Harper_Simon
13:30:06 [sharper]
Agenda+ Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments) [shadi]
13:30:07 [sharper]
Agenda+ Mobile Topic De-Brief (5m) [yeliz]
13:30:07 [sharper]
Agenda+ 'Text Customization' Progress (5m) [shawn]
13:30:07 [sharper]
Agenda+ Text customisation + E2R call and interoperation strategy (50m) [sharper]
13:30:07 [sharper]
Agenda+ Issues and Actions (Standing Item): https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/ [shadi]
13:30:09 [sharper]
Agenda+ Any Other Business (Standing Item) [shadi]
13:30:20 [sharper]
zakim, save agenda
13:30:26 [Zakim]
ok, sharper, the agenda has been written to http://www.w3.org/2012/06/27-rd-agenda.rdf
13:30:30 [sharper]
zakim, take up item 1
13:30:30 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)" taken up [from shadi via sharper]
13:30:42 [sharper]
regrets+ Mohamad_Yehya
13:30:59 [christos]
christos has joined #rd
13:31:12 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
13:31:12 [Zakim]
I notice WAI_RDWG()9:30AM has restarted
13:31:14 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Justin, Shadi, Klaus, ??P8, ??P12
13:31:31 [vivienne]
zakim, ??P12 is me
13:31:31 [Zakim]
+vivienne; got it
13:31:32 [Zakim]
+??P15
13:31:41 [christos]
zakim, ??P12 is me
13:31:41 [Zakim]
I already had ??P12 as vivienne, christos
13:31:52 [peter]
zakim, mute me
13:31:52 [Zakim]
sorry, peter, I do not know which phone connection belongs to you
13:31:56 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
13:31:56 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Justin, Shadi, Klaus, ??P8, vivienne, ??P15
13:32:06 [christos]
zakim, ??P15 is me
13:32:06 [Zakim]
+christos; got it
13:32:08 [Zakim]
+??P16
13:32:13 [shadi]
zakim, ??p8 is Peter
13:32:13 [Zakim]
+Peter; got it
13:32:14 [vivienne]
zakim, mute me
13:32:15 [Zakim]
vivienne should now be muted
13:32:21 [sharper]
zakim, ??P16 is sharper
13:32:21 [Zakim]
+sharper; got it
13:32:22 [christos]
zakim, mute me
13:32:22 [Zakim]
christos should now be muted
13:32:23 [peter]
thanks
13:32:30 [peter]
zakim, mute me
13:32:30 [Zakim]
Peter should now be muted
13:33:14 [sharper]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/scribes
13:33:25 [markel]
markel has joined #rd
13:33:47 [sharper]
zakim, who is making noise?
13:33:59 [Zakim]
sharper, listening for 11 seconds I heard sound from the following: Klaus (56%)
13:34:02 [Zakim]
+??P17
13:34:12 [markel]
zakim, ??P17 is markel
13:34:12 [Zakim]
+markel; got it
13:34:19 [Zakim]
+Shawn_Henry
13:35:03 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
13:35:03 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
13:35:11 [Klaus]
zakim, mute me
13:35:11 [Zakim]
Klaus should now be muted
13:35:18 [shadi]
ack me
13:35:29 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
13:35:29 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
13:35:43 [vivienne]
ack me
13:35:43 [peter]
I can scribe
13:35:43 [markel]
I can scribe
13:35:45 [shadi]
ack me
13:36:03 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
13:36:03 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
13:36:04 [vivienne]
zakim, mute me
13:36:05 [Zakim]
vivienne should now be muted
13:36:08 [shadi]
scribe: Markel
13:36:14 [shadi]
scribenick: markel
13:36:23 [markel]
zakim, take up item 2
13:36:23 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Mobile Topic De-Brief (5m)" taken up [from yeliz via sharper]
13:36:54 [peter]
ack me
13:37:06 [markel]
SH: PT, do you want to talk about the mobile symposium?
13:37:17 [markel]
PT: maybe we have to talk about what to do next.
13:37:26 [shadi]
q+
13:37:36 [shadi]
q-
13:37:39 [vivienne]
q+
13:38:05 [peter]
zakim, mute me
13:38:05 [Zakim]
Peter should now be muted
13:38:08 [vivienne]
ack me
13:38:24 [markel]
SH: the actual format went better than last time. These two hours went quicker than in the previous one. The chairs should meet soon. In general the symposium went all and I'd like to thank all: Shadi, Yeliz, Peter and attendees.
13:39:11 [markel]
VC: having read the papers the current format was more interesting; overall went better than the last one.
13:39:13 [vivienne]
zakim, mute me
13:39:13 [Zakim]
vivienne should now be muted
13:39:18 [peter]
q?
13:39:24 [shadi]
ack me
13:39:26 [markel]
I agree with Vivienne
13:40:11 [peter]
q+
13:41:04 [markel]
SAZ: it went really well, we had good discussions, speakers were very knowledgeable and had more to share than the papers themselves. Kudos to chairs also, it went really well. I received transcript but it's not in a very good HTML.
13:42:53 [markel]
SAZ: it does not validate so far...we will put it online soon. The fact that we had two channels (one for control, another for the discussion) was somewhat confusing. For the future, also, we should investigate how to put captioning and the chat in the same window.
13:43:59 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
13:43:59 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
13:44:02 [peter]
ack me
13:44:03 [markel]
SAZ: considering our time limitations for submission, reviews etc...we need to refine the mechanics although overall it was a big improvement over the last one.
13:44:47 [vivienne]
q+
13:45:00 [markel]
PT: I agree with that one. Just two comments: (1) noise on IRC was confusion, (2) I was to ask more questions but time constraints did not allow to do that.
13:45:07 [peter]
q1: questions in IRC log?
13:46:13 [markel]
SH: you're right regarding the noise...it'd be good if we put the questions on IRC as there may be some participants that did not access through the phone.
13:46:55 [markel]
PT: would it be a good idea to have chairs doing different things?
13:47:46 [peter]
zakim, mute me
13:47:46 [Zakim]
Peter should now be muted
13:47:46 [shadi]
q+
13:48:04 [markel]
SH: it's good to have questions ready
13:48:13 [markel]
SLH: kudos for chairs and organisers
13:48:50 [markel]
SLH: SAZ mentioned that we need to check the rebuttal time. I have some ideas about the next symposium if you want to discuss them.
13:49:21 [markel]
SH: let's address these changes in the real context of the next symposium
13:49:26 [vivienne]
ack me
13:49:36 [sharper]
ack shaw
13:49:47 [sharper]
zakim, mute Shaw
13:49:47 [Zakim]
Shawn_Henry should now be muted
13:49:59 [sharper]
zakim, q?
13:49:59 [Zakim]
I see shadi on the speaker queue
13:50:15 [vivienne]
zakim, mute me
13:50:15 [Zakim]
vivienne should now be muted
13:50:28 [markel]
VC: I have some comments about the captioning..which was useful to distinguish accents and helps to follow the talk more easily
13:50:43 [shadi]
ack me
13:51:27 [markel]
SAZ: I'm happy for the chairs to take up IRC management but they should learn the commands
13:51:52 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
13:51:52 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
13:51:52 [markel]
SAZ: if we had had more time...that would have help
13:52:23 [shadi]
+1
13:52:27 [shadi]
ack me
13:52:59 [markel]
SH: the current systems requires some expertise...one chair could manage IRC with the help of somebody who is expert (e.g. SAZ); I learned and I can help for the next time
13:53:11 [markel]
SAZ: I support this
13:53:13 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
13:53:13 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
13:53:37 [markel]
SH: as more training occurs it will be easier
13:53:49 [markel]
zakim, close item 2
13:53:49 [Zakim]
agendum 2, Mobile Topic De-Brief (5m), closed
13:53:50 [Zakim]
I see 5 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
13:53:50 [Zakim]
1. Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments) [from shadi via sharper]
13:53:59 [markel]
zakim, take up item 3
13:53:59 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "'Text Customization' Progress (5m)" taken up [from shawn via sharper]
13:54:23 [markel]
SH: let's have some update from SLH
13:55:43 [shadi]
q+
13:55:44 [markel]
SLH: there is no significant move since last time...couple of things: (1) what we learned from the last symposium: rebuttals and so on and the length of papers and (2) how we are going to work with the easy to read symposium
13:55:48 [shadi]
ack me
13:57:30 [markel]
SH: ...how we want to run the two topics...two calls and one submission place or closely together but still separate with some linkage regarding infraestructure
13:57:46 [shadi]
ack sh
13:58:43 [shadi]
q+ to talk about paper length and review effort and to talk about proximity of two topics
13:59:15 [shadi]
ack me
13:59:15 [Zakim]
shadi, you wanted to talk about paper length and review effort and to talk about proximity of two topics
13:59:16 [sharper]
ack shad
13:59:33 [markel]
SH: I don't think we'll gonna have any problem with symposium...we already decided we are having two symposium...just I want to discuss the mechanics
14:01:00 [markel]
SAZ: longer papers entail more effort to review...there were some papers with weird HTML..I don't know how other conferences approach to the length issue...
14:01:22 [sharper]
q+
14:01:45 [peter]
Shadi: do you need help with menial tasks like converting papers, transcripts, * to HTML and or other tasks?
14:02:09 [markel]
SAZ: regarding the proximity...the type of papers we get..it can depend on the papers we get in the first call and decide afterwards...we can shift them back and forth
14:02:10 [sharper]
ack me
14:02:11 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
14:02:12 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
14:03:37 [peter]
shadi: nope that's a fine tool - happy to help you if you ever feel overwhelmed
14:03:42 [markel]
SH: regarding 1000, one should be able to do it for a extended abstract. When the SC suggests changes there is no much room to removing/adding stuff. 1000 words is okay as long as it is tighted...
14:04:21 [JB]
great idea
14:04:21 [peter]
+1 form idea
14:05:04 [markel]
SH: we could be more constrained about the abstract like providing forms that would match sections. Regarding time-frame we removed 2 weeks from the established schedule
14:05:26 [markel]
SH: but this does not have necessarily happen again
14:05:48 [markel]
SH: for the next one we have SLH and Wayne Dick?
14:05:52 [sharper]
zakim, q?
14:05:52 [Zakim]
I see no one on the speaker queue
14:06:06 [markel]
SLH: really like the idea of 1000 word limit
14:06:45 [markel]
SLH: now the SC is listed
14:07:37 [markel]
SLH: there is a couple of possibilities for chairs, some who are in the scientific committee that would agree to chair..also if you have any suggestion for the SC that'd be great
14:07:57 [JB]
+1
14:07:57 [peter]
1+ what simon just said
14:07:59 [christos]
+1
14:07:59 [Klaus]
+1
14:08:01 [shadi]
q+
14:08:03 [sharper]
+1
14:08:03 [vivienne]
+1
14:08:05 [shadi]
ack me
14:09:06 [peter]
give it a try and see what happens
14:10:04 [markel]
shall I do it?
14:10:44 [markel]
SH: let's put that on the Wiki on the symposium mechanics section
14:10:56 [sharper]
zakim, q?
14:10:56 [Zakim]
I see no one on the speaker queue
14:11:27 [markel]
SAZ: we have wiki pages which are public, some other for the group and some other are in between
14:12:29 [markel]
SAZ: we can discuss the visibility of pages in a future agenda
14:12:33 [markel]
RESOLUTION: word limit for submissions will be around 1000 words and if the SC suggests changes it can be extended to address such changes.
14:12:46 [markel]
ok, was waiting for your confirmation :-)
14:12:46 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
14:12:46 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
14:14:14 [Klaus]
zakim, unmute me
14:14:14 [Zakim]
Klaus should no longer be muted
14:16:27 [sharper]
q+
14:16:50 [sharper]
ack me
14:16:59 [markel]
KM: I'm open to any organisation format. From my experience, the broader the call is the higher number of submissions you get...but text customisation deserves a separate call. The sooner we decide the easier it'll be to adjust to organisational protocols.
14:17:40 [Klaus]
queue+ Klaus
14:18:16 [sharper]
ack Kla
14:18:25 [markel]
SH: we can run them separately but staggering them with one month separation. Also we can have the same call and still run them separately...
14:19:10 [markel]
KM: I support SH's idea...and would be happy to have an overlap between the SC and chairs
14:19:11 [Klaus]
zakim, mute me
14:19:11 [Zakim]
Klaus should now be muted
14:20:05 [markel]
SH: my 2nd suggestion: we run it separately, but deadline is the same, reviews are done by same people and symposiums are run one month apart
14:20:06 [markel]
รง
14:20:17 [peter]
so if I understood we'd work on both symposiums in the background at the same time but run the symposiums separately?
14:20:48 [Klaus]
+1
14:20:51 [JB]
+1
14:20:55 [markel]
good idea
14:20:58 [christos]
+1
14:20:58 [shadi]
ack me
14:20:59 [vivienne]
+1
14:21:13 [peter]
+1 (though tending to be complicated)
14:22:40 [Zakim]
-Shawn_Henry
14:22:56 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
14:22:56 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
14:23:15 [shadi]
[[for the record, this sound really promising but i would like to think more about it too]]
14:24:08 [Zakim]
+Shawn_Henry
14:24:22 [markel]
RESOLUTION: there will be 2 separate calls for the forthcoming 2 symposiums, the same submission system will be used, same deadline and reviewers will be coordinated coordinated; symposiums will run separately where text customisation will be first and after one month easy to read.
14:24:38 [JB]
+1
14:24:41 [sharper]
+1
14:24:42 [markel]
+1
14:24:43 [peter]
+1
14:24:45 [vivienne]
+1
14:24:52 [Klaus]
+1
14:24:59 [christos]
+1
14:25:34 [markel]
SH: any other business?
14:25:35 [markel]
q+
14:25:45 [sharper]
ack ma
14:25:46 [shadi]
ack me
14:26:01 [markel]
MV: which is the status of the 1st report?
14:26:11 [Zakim]
-Klaus
14:26:20 [Klaus]
have to leave, sorry!
14:26:52 [markel]
SAZ: is still awaiting, SLH is redesigning which will benefit the
14:27:20 [markel]
SAZ: there were some issues on the review...some minor stuff
14:27:35 [markel]
SAZ: I have an action to contact the editors in the following days
14:27:42 [markel]
OK thanks for the update
14:28:09 [markel]
SLH: it's looking very good, I'll send for before the next meeting
14:28:24 [peter]
ack me
14:28:27 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
14:28:27 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
14:28:33 [vivienne]
bye now
14:28:34 [JB]
cya
14:28:34 [peter]
cheers
14:28:38 [vivienne]
vivienne has left #rd
14:28:44 [Zakim]
-Peter
14:28:44 [christos]
goodbye...
14:28:47 [Zakim]
-sharper
14:28:48 [Zakim]
-vivienne
14:28:48 [Zakim]
-christos
14:28:53 [Zakim]
-Shadi
14:28:54 [Zakim]
-Shawn_Henry
14:29:14 [markel]
markel has left #rd
14:29:14 [Zakim]
-Justin
14:29:32 [Zakim]
-markel
14:29:33 [Zakim]
WAI_RDWG()9:30AM has ended
14:29:33 [Zakim]
Attendees were Shadi, Justin, Klaus, vivienne, christos, Peter, sharper, markel, Shawn_Henry
14:30:10 [shadi]
trackbot, end meeting
14:30:10 [trackbot]
Zakim, list attendees
14:30:10 [Zakim]
sorry, trackbot, I don't know what conference this is
14:30:18 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, please draft minutes
14:30:18 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/06/27-rd-minutes.html trackbot
14:30:19 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, bye
14:30:19 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items