IRC log of i18n on 2012-05-30

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:58:16 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
14:58:16 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-irc
14:58:20 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
14:58:28 [aphillip]
trackbot, prepare teleconference
14:58:30 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:58:32 [r12a]
hello somnath
14:58:32 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 4186
14:58:32 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM scheduled to start in 2 minutes
14:58:33 [trackbot]
Meeting: Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference
14:58:33 [trackbot]
Date: 30 May 2012
14:58:49 [aphillip]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012May/0027.html
14:59:02 [aphillip]
Chair: Addison Phillips
14:59:02 [aphillip]
Scribe: Addison Phillips
14:59:08 [aphillip]
ScribeNick: aphillip
14:59:18 [aphillip]
rrsagent, draft minute
14:59:18 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'draft minute', aphillip. Try /msg RRSAgent help
14:59:21 [aphillip]
rrsagent, draft minutes
14:59:21 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:00:48 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM has now started
15:00:57 [Zakim]
+Addison_Phillips
15:01:03 [Zakim]
+??P5
15:01:22 [Zakim]
+??P12
15:01:33 [matial]
zakim, ??p12 is me
15:01:33 [Zakim]
+matial; got it
15:01:39 [Norbert]
Norbert has joined #i18n
15:01:55 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard
15:02:13 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
15:02:20 [Zakim]
+Richard
15:02:37 [Zakim]
+Norbert
15:02:59 [fsasaki]
fsasaki has joined #i18n
15:04:07 [kojiishi]
kojiishi has joined #i18n
15:04:12 [aphillip]
Regrets: David
15:04:34 [aphillip]
Regrets: David, John
15:04:51 [aphillip]
Topic: Agenda and Minutes
15:05:03 [Zakim]
+??P20
15:05:11 [kojiishi]
zakim, ??p20 is me
15:05:11 [Zakim]
+kojiishi; got it
15:05:35 [aphillip]
agenda+: use of mailing lists
15:05:44 [aphillip]
Topic: Action Items
15:06:27 [r12a]
https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open
15:06:54 [aphillip]
ACTION-109: got reply and they will send information to this mailing list of draft
15:06:54 [trackbot]
ACTION-109 Check about Korean layout task force notes added
15:07:01 [r12a]
wow
15:07:15 [naitik]
naitik has joined #i18n
15:07:28 [prashant]
prashant has joined #i18n
15:07:42 [aphillip]
agenda+: Korean Layout Reqs
15:08:03 [fsasaki_]
fsasaki_ has joined #i18n
15:08:13 [aphillip]
close ACTION-121
15:08:13 [trackbot]
ACTION-121 Ping non-WG members to look at Ruby document closed
15:08:26 [aphillip]
ACTION-121: did that and then pinged again, no replies yet
15:08:26 [trackbot]
ACTION-121 Ping non-WG members to look at Ruby document notes added
15:08:54 [aphillip]
close ACTION-124
15:08:54 [trackbot]
ACTION-124 Write an appropriately reworded email to ULI expressing concern about the SEGEMENTATION character closed
15:09:11 [aphillip]
ACTION-124: some confusion on other end?
15:09:11 [trackbot]
ACTION-124 Write an appropriately reworded email to ULI expressing concern about the SEGEMENTATION character notes added
15:10:26 [aphillip]
close ACTION-129
15:10:26 [trackbot]
ACTION-129 Write email to group and to martin explaining that we plan to track issues on winter list and to use winter list for more tracked discussions closed
15:10:36 [aphillip]
Topic: Info Share
15:10:46 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:10:59 [aphillip]
Norbert: Ecma TC-39 reviews i18n draft
15:11:04 [aphillip]
... last week
15:11:09 [Norbert]
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2012-May/022836.html
15:11:11 [aphillip]
... at a special meeting
15:11:18 [aphillip]
... minutes at link above
15:11:26 [aphillip]
... mostly approved, but made a few changes
15:11:33 [aphillip]
... LocaleList got removed
15:11:44 [aphillip]
... in favor of String[] of locales
15:12:07 [aphillip]
... an array of language tags
15:13:02 [aphillip]
Norbert: also allow implementations to add values
15:13:09 [aphillip]
... notably time zones
15:13:33 [aphillip]
... some time soon there will be an update spec
15:13:48 [aphillip]
Norbert: also discussed separately the UTF-16 proposal
15:13:59 [aphillip]
... to clarify that ES is based on UTF-16
15:14:12 [aphillip]
... updated proposal, accepted as on track for Harmony
15:14:19 [aphillip]
... should be official some time next year!
15:14:25 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:14:53 [aphillip]
Norbert: so December of next year
15:15:34 [aphillip]
Richard: received email from W3C india for a task force to look at Indic Layout Requirements
15:15:47 [aphillip]
... with proposed charter
15:16:49 [aphillip]
koji: writing mode in UTR50
15:17:02 [somnath]
q+
15:17:26 [aphillip]
... reported that japanese vendors will ship based on their own specs
15:17:39 [aphillip]
... so CSS WG will define own glyph orientation
15:19:34 [aphillip]
... telling UTC that we will define code points of interest to CJK
15:20:45 [somnath]
q+
15:21:53 [aphillip]
... working with fantasai and communicating to UTC what differences we are creating
15:22:58 [aphillip]
ack somnath
15:23:07 [somnath]
q+
15:23:19 [aphillip]
richard: how are we doing with writing modes spec?
15:23:55 [aphillip]
koji: only a few issues left
15:23:57 [somnath]
We need to get the indic task force working under intl core wg
15:24:23 [somnath]
CSS req is ready for consideration
15:24:47 [aphillip]
koji: could be 3-6 months on writing modes
15:26:13 [somnath]
ok
15:27:22 [aphillip]
Koji: also had review of CSS3 Text
15:27:26 [aphillip]
... two issues left
15:27:31 [aphillip]
... LC request shortly
15:28:00 [aphillip]
Topic: mailing list usage
15:28:16 [aphillip]
richard: changed tracker so it would track winter@ and public-core@
15:28:35 [aphillip]
... so have action to extend tracker onto other interest group list
15:28:42 [aphillip]
s/list/lists/
15:28:47 [aphillip]
... Martin is okay with this
15:28:59 [aphillip]
... and then start moving our discussions onto www-international
15:29:08 [aphillip]
... can use public lists if we want to
15:29:23 [aphillip]
... issues don't always get visibility
15:30:22 [aphillip]
addison: track comments on winter?
15:30:27 [aphillip]
richard: yes, except MO
15:30:55 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:31:32 [aphillip]
Norbert: why do we have two separate lists?
15:31:41 [aphillip]
richard: historical reasons mainly
15:31:46 [aphillip]
... winter@ is the IG
15:31:59 [aphillip]
... and public@ is inside WG
15:32:33 [aphillip]
... was a time when folks could ask questions, etc... sort of like unicode list
15:34:31 [fsasaki]
fsasaki has joined #i18n
15:37:47 [aphillip]
aharon: discussion of breaking up style@
15:38:02 [aphillip]
... public-i18n-bidi@ is public and many folks interested in that are on it
15:38:06 [aphillip]
... very useful
15:38:22 [aphillip]
... i.e. the isolates dicussion will take place there
15:40:37 [aphillip]
richard: next step would be to announce this
15:40:45 [aphillip]
... which would include summary of our other lists
15:42:03 [aphillip]
addison: how much longer on the chartering?
15:42:38 [aphillip]
richard: can write into charter; some more time due to vacations... probably end of June
15:43:21 [aphillip]
ACTION: addison: write to www-international, including decriptions of other lists from about page, announcing changes in our use of list
15:43:21 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-130 - Write to www-international, including decriptions of other lists from about page, announcing changes in our use of list [on Addison Phillips - due 2012-06-06].
15:43:57 [aphillip]
Topic: Unicode Normalization in ECMAScript
15:44:09 [aphillip]
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:unicode_normalization
15:44:27 [aphillip]
Norbert: ES standard says text is "assumed to be normalized"
15:44:38 [aphillip]
... no text is actually normalized
15:44:44 [aphillip]
... so change spec to say it isn't normalized
15:45:10 [aphillip]
Norbert: other part is to add a normalization function to core
15:45:45 [aphillip]
... anyone could call (script or library)
15:46:50 [aphillip]
Norbert: one place where its interesting is regex
15:47:37 [aphillip]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012May/0031.html
15:51:50 [r12a]
/matchthis/n
15:55:30 [r12a]
ACTION: Richard to update the Activity about page etc to describe the adjusted use of the mailing lists and add information about tracker
15:55:31 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-131 - Update the Activity about page etc to describe the adjusted use of the mailing lists and add information about tracker [on Richard Ishida - due 2012-06-06].
15:57:11 [fsasaki_]
fsasaki_ has joined #i18n
15:57:51 [aphillip]
http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4j/com/ibm/icu/text/Normalizer.html
15:58:04 [aphillip]
http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4c/classNormalizer2.html
16:00:27 [aphillip]
addison: think this is the right thing to do; like the strawman
16:01:03 [aphillip]
addison: WG intention is to remove CharModNorm to be consistent with this
16:01:16 [aphillip]
s/remove/revise/
16:01:39 [aphillip]
Topic: AOB?
16:03:01 [aphillip]
preferences for next week's meeting?
16:03:28 [aphillip]
richard: potential regrets next week
16:04:03 [fsasaki]
likely to have a conflict, not sure yet
16:04:04 [aphillip]
norbert: announce what we'll review
16:05:44 [aphillip]
richard: can we put ruby nearer the top
16:05:57 [aphillip]
chair: Ruby documents to be main topic for next time
16:07:23 [aphillip]
chair: scratch that: IRIs
16:08:07 [Zakim]
-Addison_Phillips
16:08:08 [Zakim]
-matial
16:08:08 [Zakim]
-Norbert
16:08:10 [Zakim]
-kojiishi
16:08:20 [fsasaki]
bye guys
16:08:39 [Zakim]
-aharon
16:08:54 [naitik]
ok
16:08:55 [aharon]
aharon has left #i18n
16:09:04 [naitik]
naitik has left #i18n
16:09:40 [somnath]
bye
16:13:40 [Zakim]
disconnecting the lone participant, Richard, in I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM
16:13:42 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM has ended
16:13:42 [Zakim]
Attendees were Addison_Phillips, matial, aharon, Richard, Norbert, kojiishi
16:30:27 [aphillip]
rrsagent, bye
16:30:27 [RRSAgent]
I see 2 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-actions.rdf :
16:30:27 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: write to www-international, including decriptions of other lists from about page, announcing changes in our use of list [1]
16:30:27 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-irc#T15-43-21
16:30:27 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Richard to update the Activity about page etc to describe the adjusted use of the mailing lists and add information about tracker [2]
16:30:27 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-irc#T15-55-30
16:30:34 [aphillip]
zakim, bye
16:30:34 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18n
16:31:21 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
16:31:21 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-irc
16:31:42 [aphillip]
Present: Addison, Richard, Norbert, Aharon, Mati, Koji
16:31:47 [aphillip]
rrsagent, draft minutes
16:31:47 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/05/30-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
16:32:43 [aphillip]
rrsagent, bye
16:33:04 [aphillip]
rrsagent, set logs world
16:33:17 [aphillip]
rrsagent, bye
16:33:17 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items