IRC log of privacy on 2012-04-19

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:54:37 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #privacy
15:54:37 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/04/19-privacy-irc
15:54:50 [npdoty]
danielle, we also have a VOIP call-in option
15:55:04 [npdoty]
http://www.w3.org/2006/tools/wiki/Zakim-SIP
15:55:17 [danielle]
but i guess i goin to find one i another moment
15:55:21 [J_Voracek]
danielle had some difficulty connecting with the SIP earlier
15:55:22 [danielle]
hello Nick
15:55:27 [npdoty]
rrsagent, make logs public
15:55:30 [Christine]
Christine has joined #privacy
15:55:33 [danielle]
yes I hav had some difficulties
15:55:41 [npdoty]
hi danielle, how can I help?
15:55:54 [J_Voracek]
spreibus, if you cannot connect using the United States country code, I recommend using the SIP connect
15:56:32 [danielle]
I think that is my connection the problem
15:56:44 [spreibus]
don't have SIP. I'll try the UK phone number +44.117.370.6152.
15:56:57 [npdoty]
zakim, this will be ping
15:56:57 [Zakim]
ok, npdoty; I see Priv_IG()12:00PM scheduled to start in 4 minutes
15:57:14 [rvaneijk]
Zakin, who is on the phone
15:57:24 [rvaneijk]
Zakin, who is on the phone?
15:57:28 [rvaneijk]
Zakim, who is on the phone?
15:57:28 [Zakim]
Priv_IG()12:00PM has not yet started, rvaneijk
15:57:29 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Christine, RRSAgent, Zakim, danielle, npdoty, rvaneijk, spreibus, J_Voracek, kboudaou
15:57:49 [rvaneijk]
Cool, the association has been done automagically
15:57:56 [npdoty]
Zakim seems behind, I'm on the phone
15:58:14 [npdoty]
Zakim, who is on the phone?
15:58:14 [Zakim]
Priv_IG()12:00PM has not yet started, npdoty
15:58:15 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Christine, RRSAgent, Zakim, danielle, npdoty, rvaneijk, spreibus, J_Voracek, kboudaou
15:58:19 [Joanne]
Joanne has joined #Privacy
15:58:22 [wseltzer]
wseltzer has joined #privacy
15:58:23 [npdoty]
Zakim, this is PING
15:58:23 [Zakim]
ok, npdoty; that matches Priv_IG()12:00PM
15:58:32 [npdoty]
Zakim, who is on the phone?
15:58:32 [Zakim]
On the phone I see ??P4, +1.508.380.aaaa, +358.504.83aabb, ??P7, +1.613.304.aacc, npdoty
15:58:49 [Zakim]
- +358.504.83aabb
15:58:54 [fwagner]
fwagner has joined #privacy
15:58:55 [Zakim]
+ +1.650.353.aadd
15:59:17 [Joanne]
I won't be able to dial in but will watch on IRC. Have a great kick-off call.
15:59:22 [npdoty]
Zakim, who is making noise?
15:59:27 [Zakim]
- +1.613.304.aacc
15:59:31 [rvaneijk]
Nick, I am on 011.31.70.55558538
15:59:32 [Zakim]
+ +358.504.83aaee
15:59:32 [Zakim]
npdoty, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: +1.508.380.aaaa (11%), npdoty (17%), +1.650.353.aadd (33%)
15:59:40 [Zakim]
+??P21
15:59:42 [npdoty]
Zakim, aaaa is TrentAdams
15:59:42 [Ashok_Malhotra]
Ashok_Malhotra has joined #privacy
15:59:43 [Zakim]
+TrentAdams; got it
15:59:44 [Zakim]
+justin
15:59:45 [Christine]
Nick, I am calling via Skype
16:00:01 [npdoty]
Present+ IanOliver
16:00:05 [npdoty]
Present+ FrankWagner
16:00:43 [npdoty]
we'll give a couple minutes for people to call in, I think
16:00:49 [alissa]
alissa has joined #privacy
16:00:50 [J_Voracek]
I am installing a voice plugin prior to dialing in - one moment
16:01:08 [Zakim]
+ +1.949.483.aaff
16:01:25 [Zakim]
- +358.504.83aaee
16:01:49 [james]
james has joined #privacy
16:01:52 [npdoty]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-privacy/2012AprJun/0041.html
16:02:02 [Zakim]
+ +1.215.286.aagg
16:02:08 [npdoty]
Chair: Christine and twhalen
16:02:27 [Zakim]
+??P1
16:02:29 [npdoty]
Meeting: Privacy Interest Group kickoff teleconference
16:02:38 [Zakim]
+ +44.208.123.aahh
16:02:42 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
16:02:48 [Zakim]
+ +358.504.83aaii
16:03:00 [Zakim]
+ +1.613.513.aajj
16:03:08 [Zakim]
+Joseph_Scheuhammer
16:03:11 [JC]
JC has joined #privacy
16:03:28 [Zakim]
+??P17
16:03:32 [Zakim]
+Ashok_Malhotra
16:03:47 [Zakim]
+ +33.4.92.96.aakk
16:03:49 [tara]
tara has joined #privacy
16:04:02 [tara]
I am the 613 area code.
16:04:11 [npdoty]
Zakim, aajj is tara
16:04:19 [npdoty]
Zakim, who is making noise?
16:04:20 [Zakim]
+tara; got it
16:04:25 [Zakim]
+ +1.920.912.aall
16:04:38 [Zakim]
npdoty, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: [Microsoft] (5%), Joseph_Scheuhammer (37%)
16:04:50 [Zakim]
-??P17
16:04:53 [jtrentadams]
jtrentadams has joined #privacy
16:05:14 [npdoty]
Zakim, mute Joseph_Scheuhammer
16:05:14 [Zakim]
Joseph_Scheuhammer should now be muted
16:05:31 [npdoty]
Zakim, unmute Joseph_Scheuhammer
16:05:31 [Zakim]
Joseph_Scheuhammer should no longer be muted
16:05:56 [tara]
Sorry about network issues; hope this stsys up.
16:06:24 [Zakim]
+??P34
16:06:32 [spreibus]
P34 is me
16:06:42 [npdoty]
Zakim, ??P34 is spreibus
16:06:42 [Zakim]
+spreibus; got it
16:06:49 [spreibus]
Zakim, P34 is me
16:06:49 [Zakim]
sorry, spreibus, I do not recognize a party named 'P34'
16:07:01 [IanO]
IanO has joined #Privacy
16:07:04 [npdoty]
Zakim, who is making noise?
16:07:09 [fwagner]
P21 is me
16:07:15 [Zakim]
npdoty, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: ??P1 (61%), Joseph_Scheuhammer (64%)
16:07:22 [Zakim]
+ +1.202.695.aamm
16:07:35 [npdoty]
apologies for the bad link on /Privacy, will fix for future calls
16:07:39 [fwagner]
Zakim, P21 is me
16:07:39 [Zakim]
sorry, fwagner, I do not recognize a party named 'P21'
16:07:42 [Zakim]
+WileyS
16:07:46 [npdoty]
Topic: Introductions
16:07:47 [IanO]
Good evening/afternoon/morning, Ian
16:07:59 [susanisrael]
susanisrael has joined #privacy
16:08:00 [WileyS]
WileyS has joined #privacy
16:08:02 [Lia]
Lia has joined #privacy
16:08:21 [jtrentadams]
I think I mistakenly announced myself as calling in from area code 508... I'm actually dialing in via Skype... anyone know how to correct it?
16:08:32 [npdoty]
Zakim, who is making noise?
16:08:45 [Zakim]
npdoty, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: Joseph_Scheuhammer (75%)
16:08:45 [bilcorry]
bilcorry has joined #privacy
16:08:48 [WileyS]
I can scribe
16:08:52 [npdoty]
Zakim, mute Joseph_Sceuhammer
16:08:52 [Zakim]
sorry, npdoty, I do not know which phone connection belongs to Joseph_Sceuhammer
16:09:07 [Christine]
Thank you for volunteering to scribe
16:09:07 [rvaneijk]
I have to leave in a little more than half an hour, sorry.
16:09:15 [npdoty]
scribenick: WileyS
16:09:33 [JC]
I"m on both
16:09:37 [WileyS]
Christine: We have a number of people on the call - are you also on IRC? Trying to get a sense of who is on what side.
16:09:39 [rvaneijk]
I"on both too
16:09:41 [Lia]
I'm on both
16:09:44 [J_Voracek]
I'm on both also
16:09:51 [kboudaou]
Hi I'm on both !
16:09:56 [james]
I'm on both
16:09:58 [Zakim]
+bilcorry
16:09:59 [WileyS]
...one person announced they are not on IRC yet
16:10:03 [fwagner]
is also on both
16:10:07 [Christine]
Note: Tara is speaking not Christine
16:10:14 [vincent]
vincent has joined #privacy
16:10:23 [npdoty]
s/Christine: We/tara: We/
16:10:23 [Zakim]
+ +358.504.87aann
16:10:38 [WileyS]
Tara: encouraging people to join the IRC to more formalize our activities
16:10:39 [spreibus]
Tara, not sure I'm in the group.
16:10:45 [npdoty]
Zakim, who is making noise?
16:10:58 [Zakim]
npdoty, listening for 12 seconds I heard sound from the following: tara (82%), Joseph_Scheuhammer (62%)
16:11:00 [npdoty]
details about joining the group here: http://www.w3.org/Privacy/
16:11:02 [erin]
erin has joined #privacy
16:11:05 [npdoty]
Zakim, mute Joseph_Scheuhammer
16:11:05 [Zakim]
Joseph_Scheuhammer should now be muted
16:11:05 [bilcorry]
Zakim, mute me
16:11:07 [Zakim]
bilcorry should now be muted
16:11:09 [WileyS]
Tara: any new agenda items beyond the ones on the agenda that was sent around?
16:11:21 [npdoty]
reminder of the agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-privacy/2012AprJun/0041.html
16:11:34 [WileyS]
...not hearing any new items - will jump in with what we have so far
16:11:40 [WileyS]
...start with introductions
16:12:17 [WileyS]
Tara - Co-chair, Canadian, works with the Privacy Commission, pro-privacy standards in place, IAB and ISO activities as well
16:12:43 [WileyS]
Christine: already have our email introductions, Australian/Swiss
16:13:06 [WileyS]
Nick: W3C staff contact, any issues contact me, also at UCBerkley working on privacy standards
16:13:49 [npdoty]
James Brentano, BlueCava, device id
16:13:49 [WileyS]
James: Bluecava, device identification, doing the right thing by the right people
16:14:06 [WileyS]
JC: MSFT, Bing & MSFT Advertising, learn more about online privacy from the group
16:14:36 [WileyS]
Trent Adams: Used to work with Christine, now at PayPal, Internet Governance Group, new initiative is privacy work, glad to be back, also part of the IAB privacy program
16:15:05 [WileyS]
Alissa Cooper: CDT, lead the Privacy program at the IETF, standards activities for quite some time
16:15:21 [WileyS]
Rob: A29WP
16:15:39 [Zakim]
-Joseph_Scheuhammer
16:16:13 [WileyS]
<Missed Name>: South of France, Security Management, goal of research is how to change the way mobile apps that allow the end user to control their data, fine granularity of control
16:16:17 [rvaneijk]
Rob: ph.d student university of leiden (not representing employer or A29 WP) in this working group.
16:16:33 [WileyS]
<Thank you Rob :-)>
16:16:48 [WileyS]
Susan: Comcast, attorney working on privacy issues, supporting their policy group
16:16:54 [kboudaou]
My name is Karima Boudaoud
16:17:20 [npdoty]
Erin Kenneally
16:17:41 [WileyS]
<Missed name>: privacy strategist, research realm, information security at UC San Diego
16:18:12 [WileyS]
<missed name>: Oracle
16:18:22 [npdoty]
Ashok Malhotra, from the TAG
16:18:24 [Zakim]
+ +1.310.597.aaoo
16:18:39 [npdoty]
Mark Lizar, consultant on privacy frameworks
16:18:50 [WileyS]
Mark: consultant, working on privacy frameworks
16:19:14 [WileyS]
Nick, are you going to get these?
16:19:39 [npdoty]
WileyS, I missed that last one, though I think we have all the other names logged
16:19:50 [WileyS]
Ian: principle architect at Nokia, engineering privacy, developing tools.
16:20:03 [npdoty]
Ian Oliver, Nokia
16:20:05 [spreibus]
Sören Preibusch, U Cambridge, was in W3C groups P3P, PLING etc.; I'm conducting large-scale user experiments on consumer privacy, willingness to pay for privacy and general privacy preferences in ecommerce and social networking.
16:20:20 [WileyS]
Thank you Suren
16:20:35 [Lia]
Having some phone trouble- Lia Sheena, a fellow at the Future of Privacy Forum working on online and mobile privacy issues.
16:20:43 [IanO]
Ian Oliver
16:20:43 [IanO]
Principal Architect for Privacy at Nokia Location and Services
16:20:43 [IanO]
working on engineering privacy into our products, tools, techniques and architectural
16:20:43 [IanO]
support for our developers development,
16:20:43 [IanO]
particular interest into
16:20:44 [IanO]
ontologies, taxonomies, data classification, information analysis and ultimately
16:20:46 [IanO]
a formalisation of or formal framework for privacy @i_j_oliver
16:20:51 [Zakim]
+ +1.415.520.aapp
16:21:01 [npdoty]
WileyS: vp of privacy and data governance at Yahoo! help inform from an industry perspective
16:21:06 [WileyS]
Shane Wiley - VP, Privacy & Data Governance at Yahoo!
16:21:12 [Joanne]
Zakim, +1.415.520 is Joanne
16:21:12 [Zakim]
+Joanne; got it
16:21:21 [npdoty]
Frank Wagner, Deutsche Telecom
16:21:35 [npdoty]
rrsagent, pointer?
16:21:35 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2012/04/19-privacy-irc#T16-21-35
16:22:15 [npdoty]
Joanne: director of product policy, certification across TRUSTe products
16:22:16 [WileyS]
Joanne: Truste, developing certification standards across their products
16:22:40 [WileyS]
Nick, this one is yours :-)
16:22:41 [npdoty]
Hannes Tschofenig
16:23:12 [npdoty]
... interested in designing privacy into architectures
16:23:25 [npdoty]
Topic: Goals
16:23:36 [npdoty]
Charter http://www.w3.org/2011/07/privacy-ig-charter.html
16:23:40 [fwagner]
Frank Wagner, Deutsche Telekom, Group Privacy, responsible for defining privacy requirements in the product development processes, looking forward to exchange best practice between developers, providers and users
16:23:57 [WileyS]
Kara: We welcome feedback on the mission at any time
16:24:02 [npdoty]
s/Kara/Tara/
16:24:20 [WileyS]
...we may publish a privacy framework document
16:24:32 [Zakim]
- +358.504.87aann
16:24:35 [WileyS]
...these documents may provide beneficial guidance
16:24:36 [Patrick]
Patrick has joined #privacy
16:24:49 [WileyS]
...Any thoughts on the list of deliverables?
16:24:57 [npdoty]
any other deliverables or goals we'd like to see from the group?
16:24:59 [Zakim]
+ +358.504.87aaqq
16:24:59 [WileyS]
...you can all jump in at once...(silence)
16:25:23 [WileyS]
Nick, do you want to scribe? Its all yours. :-)
16:25:42 [JC]
+q
16:25:49 [Zakim]
+Joseph_Scheuhammer
16:25:53 [npdoty]
FrankWagner: would be useful to have a best practice paper, could it be useful to have a document on best practices for mobile phones?
16:26:01 [WileyS]
Zakim, npdoty is scribe
16:26:01 [Zakim]
+scribe; got it
16:26:09 [Ashok_Malhotra]
A best practices paper would be very useful
16:26:46 [npdoty]
Hannes: a best practices paper would be useful, but is just re-iterating them in a different fashion going to change anything differently
16:27:28 [WileyS]
Nick, you're way better at this than I am - all yours
16:27:42 [npdoty]
@@@: not sure a best practices document would be useful
16:27:45 [WileyS]
+q
16:27:50 [npdoty]
... a whole host of terminology that's very, very vague
16:28:12 [spreibus]
q+
16:28:26 [npdoty]
... push somewhere on terminology, security terminology, identity terminology, work by Solove
16:28:38 [Christine]
+q
16:28:51 [npdoty]
... what terminology do we have on use of information? Nissenbaum and data flows
16:29:06 [npdoty]
... happy to put forward some of our proposals on terminology
16:29:17 [WileyS]
Is someone speaking out of queue?
16:29:18 [fwagner]
zakim, ??P21 is me
16:29:18 [Zakim]
+fwagner; got it
16:29:23 [npdoty]
Hannes: before you start spending years on terminology, there is prior work on that
16:29:33 [fwagner]
q?
16:29:57 [npdoty]
... at IAB, we looked around at other engineers and what they had produced, doc from Marit Hansen, re-write as too complex for our particular audience
16:30:00 [Zakim]
+ +1.978.944.aarr
16:30:07 [npdoty]
... maybe you would find that work useful
16:30:55 [alissa]
+q
16:31:11 [fwagner]
-q
16:31:12 [npdoty]
s/@@@/IanOliver/
16:31:32 [John_]
John_ has joined #Privacy
16:31:47 [npdoty]
Hannes: might be misunderstood, a difference in considerations needed for those who develop applications and the protocol engineer
16:31:52 [npdoty]
q?
16:31:54 [WileyS]
ack ??P21
16:32:04 [WileyS]
Frank, I think that fixes your issue
16:32:32 [Zakim]
- +1.650.353.aadd
16:32:36 [Zakim]
- +1.310.597.aaoo
16:32:54 [Zakim]
-Joanne
16:32:56 [npdoty]
Frank: way to discuss building privacy into products, understand internationally our requirements, can do a best practice paper
16:33:03 [npdoty]
ack JC
16:33:31 [vm]
vm has joined #privacy
16:33:33 [npdoty]
JC: would like to see us respond to different regulations that come out
16:33:54 [npdoty]
... best practices or ways to implement for specific regulations, examples, like with the cookie directive
16:34:14 [npdoty]
@@: +1 as a case study, what guidelines might be recommended
16:34:14 [spreibus]
I would caution not to go down the road specifying what data items are sensitive. Privacy preferences are too diverse to say that a give data item is sensitive. Similar for usage. This is a per user pref.
16:34:17 [spreibus]
q?
16:34:24 [npdoty]
ack WileyS
16:34:53 [npdoty]
WileyS: would like to see w3c focus on open standards for technical issues, like Tracking Protection Working Group
16:35:11 [npdoty]
... technically centric like fingerprinting, de-identification
16:35:28 [npdoty]
... broad issues that would be beneficial to consumers, business and regulators alike
16:35:42 [npdoty]
... avoid becoming another generic policy discussion, rather ground deliverables in open technical standards
16:35:43 [JC]
+1
16:35:51 [james]
+1
16:36:30 [npdoty]
spreibus: not as helpful to nail down specific sensitive terms, since it varies so much between users
16:36:43 [npdoty]
... instead developing something that addresses this with user preferences
16:36:48 [npdoty]
ack spreibus
16:36:49 [npdoty]
ack Christine
16:37:22 [npdoty]
Christine: hope Alissa can give us the wisdom from the IAB Privacy Program side and the need for that document
16:37:35 [npdoty]
... agree that we need targeted scope of work, so that we get something done
16:38:01 [npdoty]
... insert the demands we see from outside of the group, what would people ideally like the Privacy Interest Group to do
16:38:23 [MarkLizar]
MarkLizar has joined #privacy
16:38:29 [npdoty]
... I've heard people say that in an ideal world, would like the group to develop a privacy considerations document specific for W3C protocol designers
16:38:51 [alissa]
IAB priv considerations draft is here: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-privacy-considerations-02
16:39:10 [npdoty]
... when we have the expertise that we need, could also work like the Internationalization and Accessibility groups who conduct reviews of specs from other groups about privacy issues
16:39:22 [npdoty]
... identify the privacy issues early on
16:39:27 [npdoty]
ack alissa
16:40:15 [npdoty]
alissa: what is the scope of the work? start with a small scope, continue to add on as you have success, to me, it would be preferable if we keep the scope small at the beginning
16:40:43 [Christine]
My futher point is that this group does not need to do all the work; we can help/work with other W3C groups
16:40:44 [kboudaou]
+1
16:40:48 [npdoty]
... Shane raised this idea of doing actually technical standardization, less likely to do Recommendation-track standardization work
16:41:09 [npdoty]
(regarding scope in the charter: "Where appropriate, the Interest Group will recommend areas where W3C should begin recommendation-track standards work on privacy issues and may prototype or initiate such work within the group.")
16:41:39 [npdoty]
alissa: first, developing some guidance for participants in the W3C to incorporate privacy-thinking in the standards development, exactly what we're doing with the IAB privacy considerations document
16:41:45 [npdoty]
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-privacy-considerations-02
16:42:24 [IanO]
+1
16:42:38 [npdoty]
alissa: from my experience in Geolocation, DAP, etc., not everyone knows everything that we know, how we can give guidelines, about identifiers, data flows
16:42:51 [rvaneijk]
I am looking forward to the discussions in this group. Got to leave now. 'till next time !
16:43:06 [Zakim]
-??P7
16:43:07 [npdoty]
... and once we have that guidance, it would be useful to be that early review team, evangelize based on this guidance about what we should think about early in the process
16:43:26 [WileyS]
+1 on the "privacy best practices" in relation to W3C open standards - but this appears to be more "service" oriented so we would need WGs to come to us first
16:43:44 [WileyS]
What do we want to accomplish proactively?
16:43:46 [npdoty]
... guidance for standards developers, and then the action item of getting that out in use
16:44:16 [alissa]
disagree WileyS, we have plenty of experience to know where the common pitfalls are
16:44:29 [alissa]
and some of that informs Robin's draft, Dan's draft before that
16:44:30 [npdoty]
tara: have received a draft document specifically brought forward by Robin Berjon for feedback
16:44:42 [npdoty]
q+
16:44:43 [Christine]
Link to document http://darobin.github.com/api-design-privacy/api-design-privacy.html
16:44:48 [alissa]
the WGs are unlikely to come to us
16:45:19 [WileyS]
Alissa, so are you suggesting review their work proactively as an "interest" group?
16:45:41 [Christine]
Document Nick is referring to - http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/NOTE-dap-privacy-reqs-20100629
16:45:53 [alissa]
I'm suggesting developing a framework for doing reviews, and then using that to do them
16:46:00 [Ashok_Malhotra]
Here is Robin's document: http://darobin.github.com/api-design-privacy/api-design-privacy.html
16:46:19 [WileyS]
Alissa, thank you for the clarification, I see value in that approach.
16:46:40 [kboudaou]
q+
16:46:46 [npdoty]
q-
16:47:14 [npdoty]
alissa: privacy thinking in the Device APIs group gone through a number of iterations
16:47:29 [npdoty]
... all separately standardizing access to different kinds of data on devices
16:47:44 [npdoty]
... as it turns out, doing privacy API-by-API is complicated
16:47:58 [spreibus]
privacy by API is better tg
16:48:03 [npdoty]
... like what if applications use many APIs, how do we handle permissions
16:48:08 [Zakim]
-Joseph_Scheuhammer
16:48:08 [spreibus]
than no privacy by API
16:48:50 [npdoty]
spreibus: although api-by-api might be fragmented, better than nothing
16:49:15 [npdoty]
... useful distinctions between microphone and camera
16:49:34 [spreibus]
corresponding to mental model of users
16:49:44 [alissa]
Dom's WWW2012 talk is relevant here: http://www.w3.org/2012/Talks/dhm-privacy-www/
16:49:48 [fwagner]
API is not the only solution for privacy....
16:50:08 [npdoty]
tara: also had a request for comments from the Common Terms project
16:50:10 [npdoty]
q+
16:50:23 [Christine]
Link to Common Terms Project - http://www.commonterms.net/Solution.aspx
16:50:26 [WileyS]
Yahoo! is reviewing the CommonTerms approach right now - no feedback just yet
16:50:40 [npdoty]
soren: reviewing Common Terms now, but not sure what new about it
16:50:44 [WileyS]
Q?
16:50:47 [IanO]
q+
16:50:51 [npdoty]
ack kboudaou
16:51:25 [susanisrael]
susanisrael has joined #privacy
16:51:38 [npdoty]
kboudaou: how the user will control the data, we need to consider the fact that we have different kinds of users
16:52:02 [npdoty]
... privacy-by-design, but need to consider that should be respect the preferences of the user
16:52:33 [npdoty]
... need to define best practices for developers who design mobile applications used by variety of end users
16:52:41 [alissa]
+q
16:54:33 [alissa]
+1 to what nick is saying about surveying what recommendations have been made as a good first step
16:54:47 [npdoty]
ack npdoty
16:55:02 [npdoty]
npdoty: a lot of discussion about the best way to do permissions
16:55:38 [Christine]
Re Alissa's comment - I also think it would be useful to identify privacy issues that have come up in different W3C groups
16:55:45 [npdoty]
... could aggregate and compare different ways permissions have been done by APIs, best practices, considerations and concerns as a starting point for our Guidelines doc
16:56:12 [npdoty]
IanO: permissions is more of a security issue (on which we have existing work), maybe we should concentrate on the nature of the data itself, how revealing is that information
16:56:39 [npdoty]
... what are the privacy aspects, not just traditional security aspects (terms not too well-defined)
16:57:53 [npdoty]
Topic: Next steps
16:57:58 [WileyS]
Zakim, agenda?
16:57:58 [Zakim]
I see nothing on the agenda
16:58:03 [npdoty]
q- IanO
16:58:09 [Zakim]
-Ashok_Malhotra
16:58:12 [alissa]
q-
16:58:22 [WileyS]
Co-chairs, in the future could you please load the agenda into Zakim prior to the call?
16:58:23 [npdoty]
tara: originally thinking monthly calls, next time would be May 17th at 16:00 UTC
16:58:39 [npdoty]
WileyS, my fault on that one, I'll handle it in future
16:58:46 [spreibus]
monthly seems good
16:58:54 [WileyS]
+1 for monthly
16:59:04 [fwagner]
monthly would be useful - +1
16:59:12 [npdoty]
tara: potential connections to other groups, a list in the charter, but might also add, as in the case of the Crypto WG
16:59:31 [npdoty]
Christine: haven't nailed down a specific work item
16:59:37 [npdoty]
... in the mean time we can continue discussions via email
16:59:43 [Zakim]
- +1.202.695.aamm
16:59:47 [Zakim]
-TrentAdams
16:59:51 [kboudaou]
monthly fine for me too
17:00:01 [npdoty]
... TAG (Technical Architecture Group) has expressed interest in collaborating with us on privacy considerations as we go forward
17:00:25 [npdoty]
tara: so much to talk about, but we've run out of time and have ourselves set up for the next call
17:00:30 [npdoty]
... thanks for coming out!
17:00:32 [Zakim]
- +1.920.912.aall
17:00:34 [Zakim]
-WileyS
17:00:34 [IanO]
many thanks all
17:00:42 [james]
thanks to the chairs
17:00:49 [fwagner]
thanks to the chairs & nick !
17:00:54 [kboudaou]
thanks to all !
17:01:01 [spreibus]
thanks to our scribes!
17:01:04 [Zakim]
-[Microsoft]
17:01:06 [Zakim]
- +1.978.944.aarr
17:01:08 [Zakim]
-justin
17:01:09 [Zakim]
-??P1
17:01:10 [Zakim]
- +1.215.286.aagg
17:01:12 [Zakim]
-bilcorry
17:01:14 [Zakim]
- +358.504.87aaqq
17:01:15 [Zakim]
- +1.949.483.aaff
17:01:15 [Zakim]
-fwagner
17:01:17 [npdoty]
Christine: thanks, I'm excited about our productive work
17:01:18 [Zakim]
- +33.4.92.96.aakk
17:01:20 [Zakim]
-spreibus
17:01:20 [npdoty]
thanks all!
17:01:21 [Zakim]
-??P4
17:01:24 [Zakim]
-tara
17:01:28 [james]
james has left #privacy
17:01:29 [Zakim]
-scribe
17:01:31 [Zakim]
- +44.208.123.aahh
17:01:48 [Zakim]
- +358.504.83aaii
17:01:50 [Zakim]
Priv_IG()12:00PM has ended
17:01:50 [Zakim]
Attendees were +1.508.380.aaaa, +358.504.83aabb, +1.613.304.aacc, +1.650.353.aadd, +358.504.83aaee, TrentAdams, justin, +1.949.483.aaff, +1.215.286.aagg, +44.208.123.aahh,
17:01:50 [Zakim]
... [Microsoft], +358.504.83aaii, +1.613.513.aajj, Joseph_Scheuhammer, Ashok_Malhotra, +33.4.92.96.aakk, tara, +1.920.912.aall, spreibus, +1.202.695.aamm, WileyS, bilcorry,
17:01:52 [Zakim]
... +358.504.87aann, +1.310.597.aaoo, +1.415.520.aapp, Joanne, +358.504.87aaqq, scribe, fwagner, +1.978.944.aarr
17:01:57 [spreibus]
spreibus has joined #privacy
17:02:19 [fwagner]
fwagner has left #privacy
17:03:13 [npdoty]
rrsagent, draft minutes
17:03:13 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/04/19-privacy-minutes.html npdoty
18:02:11 [npdoty]
Zakim, bye
18:02:11 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #privacy
18:02:17 [npdoty]
rrsagent, bye
18:02:17 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items