Provenance Working Group Teleconference

05 Apr 2012


See also: IRC log


Curt_Tilmes, Satya_Sahoo, pgroth, MacTed, +44.789.470.aabb, Sandro, jcheney, SamCoppens, kai?, Tom_De_Nies
Luc_Moreau, Tim_Lebo, Daniel_Garijo
Paul Groth


<trackbot> Date: 05 April 2012

I am do it


<pgroth> Minutes of the March 29 2012 Telecon

<pgroth> http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/meeting/2012-03-29

<Curt> +1

<Tom_De_Nies> +1

scirbe: jun

<jcheney> +1

== Topic Admin ==

<SamCoppens> +1


<pgroth> Approved Minutes of the March 29 2012 Telecon

<satya> +1

<Paolo> +1


Paolo: DM constraints is out for review
... some feedback came back, all associated with issues
... don't see any blockers to the next draft

Paul: check progress on the reviews

Khalid: no response, not on the call

Satya: would like to complete the review before giving feedback

Curt: working on it

Jun: ongoing

Tim and Graham not on the call today

Jim: ongoing

Simon: on prov-n. done that



Paul: essential prov-o is out for review :)
... review progress

Luc done it. Paul ongoing. Simon done it. Sam, ongoing

scribe: Mac Ted: ongoing


Simon: out for review, expect feedback from Curt and Christine. Paolo done already

Curt: ongoing



<Paolo> I haven't attached my reiew to the issue, sorry

<Paolo> but it's out there...

<pgroth> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/paq/prov-aq.html

Paul: went through many big changes last week
... release an editor's draft. hopefully address all the issues in the tracker
... use "resource" throughout in the doc. Editors think it's ready for review, for going into working draft
... we can come back next week for review

<Curt> I'll try to review PAQ...

<SamCoppens> I can do it also

<Paolo> potentially me -- but a bit overloaded

<Paolo> with other reviews atm

<pgroth> Potential Reviewers: Curt, SamCoppens, MacTed, Paolo

Potential reviewers: Curt, Sam, and Paolo


James: aligned the doc with WD-3. will go ahead to align it with the latest WD soonish

Paolo: add collections in the semantics doc?

James: will read through everything and think about it. would be helpful to have a summary about what's needed to be clarified

Paolo: I can put up a wiki page to summarize things
... put a link on the formal semantics wiki page

Simon: collection as a separate/lesser part of the DM model? where is this idea coming from?

Paul: they add a level of complexity. and we don't want to scary people away by this and put a lesser emphasis on it

Paolo: this is really about introducing a new data structure. believe this is fundamental.
... things become more complicated than anticipated. took longer to reconcile. and left with less time to include collection properly in documents

Paul: and we should take Luc's comments as his own comments, not final or for the group

Mac: we should try to avoid thinking about reinventing everything
... collection is just another type of entity
... we don't need to redefine what a collection is
... concerned that there might be re-definition of things or re-invention of things

<jcheney> http://code.google.com/p/collections-ontology/ ??

Paolo: pointers for specific places to draw knowledge for provenance for collections?

<MacTed> http://rdfs.org/sioc/spec/

@mac, I think the collections spec is a bit different from what sioc means

Mac: the sioc spec is an example

<pgroth> jun can you use MacTed not MacTed

<pgroth> it's hard to process the minutes otherwise

Paolo: it's slightly different to describe evolution of collections
... we should take this offline and will take a look at the sioc doc

<Curt> collections of provenance (out of scope -- use existing ways) != provenance of collections (we are trying to model a common way to represent that)

Simon: do we have reviewers for the semantics doc?

Paul: we are not yet ready for the semantics doc. it's not planned to be in sync with other docs

James: plan to review everything to identify things to be updated for the semantics. rather to align semantics against a fixed document. people can sign up for reviews now though

Paul: semantics is a note. we are not as pressed for this as for other docs

James: I want to contribute to the reviews of other doc. and it should be fairly straightforward to update the semantics doc

Linked Data Platform

<stainPhone> @Paolo, url..?

Paolo: feedback to this from the group?

<jcheney> is this it http://data.nature.com/

Sandro: the group was formed based on a critical mass

<pgroth> @jcheney http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/charter

<jcheney> aha I see it

Sandro: provide a place for common mind people to talk together

<pgroth> +q

Sandro: they are putting up documents up to describe what they did
... not sure where provenance fits into this

Paolo: thanks for the response

Paul: PAQ should be very related to their work
... AOB?

<pgroth> trackbot, end telcon

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/04/05 15:39:36 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Mac/MacTed/
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: jun
Inferring Scribes: jun
Default Present: Curt_Tilmes, Satya_Sahoo, pgroth, MacTed, +44.789.470.aabb, Sandro, jcheney, SamCoppens, kai?, Tom_De_Nies
Present: Curt_Tilmes Satya_Sahoo pgroth MacTed +44.789.470.aabb Sandro jcheney SamCoppens kai? Tom_De_Nies
Regrets: Luc_Moreau Tim_Lebo Daniel_Garijo
Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2012.04.05
Found Date: 05 Apr 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/04/05-prov-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]