Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

04 Apr 2012

See also: IRC log


Shawn, Shadi, Christos, Peter, Markel, Simon
Vivienne, Giorgio, Joshue, Charles, Yeliz, Yehya


Mobile Call Publication Status - Including Title Discussion (Shadi and Shawn)

SH: need to decide on the title
... preferences?

PT: "Mobile Accessibility" is good enough
... no need for "web" in there
... clear because W3C event
... want to include web apps too

<markel> I agree with Peter

SLH: no strong feelings

SAZ: no strong feelings

RESOLUTION: symposium topic is "Mobile Accessibility"

<shawn> SAZ: one more open issue with template

<peter> Template URL: http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Paper_Template

[[ the previous work that the proposed approach based on;

the problem that was addressed;

the major hurdles found in the process;

the main outcomes, lessons learned, and mistakes made;

the future perspectives opened with this work. ]]

SAZ: need a customized one for this particular topic

PT: copy & paste error too

SH: sequences seems to be different but questions may map
... for example switch around 1st & 2nd in the cfp
... only strategy seems to be non-matching

<shawn> saz: ... general approach similar between topics, but make sure any customized wording matches between CfP & template

SH: template can be changed around a little to match CFP

<peter> Yup sounds good i. generic to custom template, ii. consistency between temp ate and call.

SH: will work on it
... change the ordering and align the wording

<peter> Thanks Simon! Happy to help if needed.

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to note dates seem wrong between http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Mobile_Topic_Timeline & http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Mobile#Important_Dates

SLH: mismatch of dates

SH: will fix these too
... note the uneven dates for week 7, 5, and 3
... needed more time for paper review

Publication Format Redux - (Shadi's Report on Options)

SH: SAZ was going to look into possible options

SAZ: still open action

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to say haven't worked on proceedings package yet

SLH: looking into proceedings package too

Current W3C Note Status (Giorgio, Markel, Josh, Shadi)

<shawn> SAZ: I have latest draft from editors. Approach for papers might change. open action to put in W3C Note format.

Topic 3 (Shawn)

<shawn> Text Customization http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Text_Customization

SH: want to start getting this topic on our radars
... Text Customization

SLH: have been refining the scope
... balancing broadening approach versus stay focused on the particular issue

<peter> (would like to skim it)

SLH: main focus is users with low vision, dyslexia, and others who need to customize the text

<shawn> oops -- changes to scope didn't get saved! :(

<shawn> look at this page instead: http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Text_Customization_Symposium_draft_page

SH: propose this as topic 3, would like people's thoughts on this
... need to be cautious of august
... what do people think of the topic?

<markel> sounds good to me

PT: would be very useful topic

<shawn> SAZ: important topic. have some editorial comments. overall idea & approach seems fine.

MV: sound approach
... but title may be misleading
... readibility and legibility may be keywords too
... or adaptations

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to point to title ideas: http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Text_Customization#Text_Customization_Topic_Proposal

SLH: welcome suggestions, have some other title ideas

SH: could play with sub-title too

<christos> problem with the mike

<christos> I agree with markel

<christos> maybe adaptive text...

<shawn> other ideas?

<christos> or something like that... because my mind went to fonts when I first saw the title

<markel> That is good

<christos> That's all

<peter> Three cheers for topic 3 (being this)

<sharper> +1 to topic 3


<shawn> +1 :)

<markel> +1

<christos> +1

RESOLUTION: Text Customization is Topic 3

SLH: wanted a pre-call for mobile topic
... could try for this one

SH: want to give heads-up to Coordination Group
... could even announce during mobile accessibility symposium
... have time to discuss the timeline
... we are well ahead

SAZ: have a CG call today, can give them a heads-up
... but let's work on getting them more involved

SH: yes, as previously discussed want to get more direct input from them
... will send them messages directly

Timelines / Schedule to 30th June 2013 (Simon)

SH: worry that we may miss our planned goals for the first year
... need to plan out the next topic timelines, even if we don't know the exact topics yet
... just to have some group commitment

<peter> Sounds good

SAZ: sounds like a really good approach
... we also built lots of know-how in the first year

RDWG Incubator (Simon)

SH: talked about this approach a while ago
... want to drop it as we can't really do it in addition to all the other work
... incubator concept was to populate topics that we do not address
... rather than leave them dangling
... anybody can add to the wiki topics
... but don't see that ocurring just yet

PT: agree with simon
... even mobile sympsoium did not get much contribution
... can only do certain amount of work
... then needs chair and W3C staff to do the final reviews

<shawn> SAZ: in principle, agree with peter. however...

<shawn> ... maybe not completly drop it, yet look at reduced version for if we do have contributors in the future

<shawn> ... WG maybe do light-weight review

<shawn> for formal approval, but gettting some WG perspecgives

SH: question is we can develop them to a certain standard
... then toss them to other groups

SAZ: agree with the idea
... but maybe not focus on a particular group

SH: ok, want to keep as an issue to keep coming back to it

ISSUE: shelf the Incubator concept for now until we can get better resources

<trackbot> Created ISSUE-1 - Shelf the Incubator concept for now until we can get better resources ; please complete additional details at http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/issues/1/edit .

Face to Face Meeting Discussion (Simon)

SH: every so often there is a face-to-face meeting
... needs travel support

<shawn> TPAC 2012 http://www.w3.org/2012/10/TPAC/ 29 October - 2 November 2012, Lyon, France

<shawn> SAZ: meet f2f, also with other groups. logistics provided.

<shawn> ... e.g., can talk with mobile WG

<sharper> 29 October through 2 November 2012

<sharper> Lyon, France at the Cité Centre de Congrès de Lyon

SH: need to confirm group meeting by 30 April
... involves travel costs

<shawn> SAZ: f2f particulalry useful for WGs developing spec. here we are somehwat diff group. huge benefit is group building

<markel> sorry guys, I've to leave

<shawn> ... increasing output & effectiveness of group

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to say conf

<markel> talk to you soon

SLH: maybe try to do more meetups at conferences rather than one f2f
... people already travel around quite a bit

PT: agree that face time is really important

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.133 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/04/10 11:50:14 $