IRC log of rd on 2012-04-04

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:29:40 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #rd
13:29:40 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-rd-irc
13:29:42 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
13:29:42 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #rd
13:29:44 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 7394
13:29:44 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see WAI_RDWG()9:30AM scheduled to start in 1 minute
13:29:45 [trackbot]
Meeting: Research and Development Working Group Teleconference
13:29:45 [trackbot]
Date: 04 April 2012
13:29:59 [sharper]
zakim, agenda?
13:29:59 [Zakim]
I see nothing on the agenda
13:30:17 [Zakim]
WAI_RDWG()9:30AM has now started
13:30:24 [Zakim]
+Shawn
13:31:13 [sharper]
Chair: Harper_Simon
13:31:13 [sharper]
Agenda+ Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)
13:31:14 [sharper]
Agenda+ Mobile Call Publication Status - Including Title Discussion (Shadi and Shawn)
13:31:15 [sharper]
Agenda+ Publication Format Redux - (Shadi's Report on Options)
13:31:15 [sharper]
Agenda+ Current W3C Note Status (Giorgio, Markel, Josh, Shadi)
13:31:15 [sharper]
Agenda+ Topic 3 (Shawn)
13:31:15 [sharper]
Agenda+ Timelines / Schedule to 30th June 2013 (Simon)
13:31:17 [sharper]
Agenda+ RDWG Incubator (Simon)
13:31:19 [sharper]
Agenda+ Conference Management Systems (OpenConf via Shadi)
13:31:21 [sharper]
Agenda+ Face to Face Meeting Discussion (Simon)
13:31:23 [sharper]
Agenda+ Any Other Business
13:32:18 [Zakim]
+Shadi
13:32:32 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
13:32:32 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Shawn, Shadi
13:32:39 [sharper]
present+ Harper_Simon
13:32:48 [sharper]
regrets+ Conway_Vivienne
13:32:51 [christos]
christos has joined #rd
13:32:57 [sharper]
regrets+ Brajnik_Giorgio
13:33:07 [sharper]
regrets+ O'Connor_Joshue
13:33:21 [Zakim]
+??P18
13:33:22 [sharper]
regrets+ McCathieNevile_Charles
13:33:27 [peter]
peter has joined #rd
13:33:57 [christos]
zakim, ??P18 is me
13:33:57 [Zakim]
+christos; got it
13:34:02 [Zakim]
+??P19
13:34:19 [sharper]
zakim, ??P19 is sharper
13:34:19 [Zakim]
+sharper; got it
13:34:37 [shadi]
agenda?
13:35:13 [markel]
markel has joined #rd
13:35:18 [Zakim]
+??P22
13:35:35 [peter]
Zakim, ??P22 is me
13:35:35 [Zakim]
+peter; got it
13:35:38 [shawn]
zakim, who is on the phone?
13:35:38 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Shawn (muted), Shadi, christos, sharper, peter
13:35:41 [peter]
Zakim, mute me
13:35:41 [Zakim]
peter should now be muted
13:35:49 [Zakim]
+??P25
13:36:05 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
13:36:05 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
13:36:07 [markel]
zakim, ??P25 is markel
13:36:07 [Zakim]
+markel; got it
13:36:22 [christos]
zakim, mute me
13:36:22 [Zakim]
christos should now be muted
13:36:38 [sharper]
zakim, take up item 1
13:36:38 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)" taken up [from sharper]
13:36:40 [christos]
zakim, ack me
13:36:41 [Zakim]
unmuting christos
13:36:41 [Zakim]
I see no one on the speaker queue
13:36:41 [shadi]
scribe: shadi
13:37:04 [christos]
zakim, mute me
13:37:04 [Zakim]
christos should now be muted
13:37:23 [peter]
Hmm not sure (will check through email)
13:37:25 [sharper]
regrets+ Yesilada_Yeliz
13:37:42 [shadi]
zakim, take up next
13:37:42 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Mobile Call Publication Status - Including Title Discussion (Shadi and Shawn)" taken up [from sharper]
13:38:02 [shadi]
SH: need to decide on the title
13:38:23 [shadi]
...preferences?
13:38:27 [peter]
Zakim, unmute me
13:38:27 [Zakim]
peter should no longer be muted
13:38:45 [shadi]
PT: "Mobile Accessibility" is good enough
13:38:53 [shadi]
...no need for "web" in there
13:38:59 [shadi]
...clear because W3C event
13:39:05 [shadi]
...want to include web apps too
13:39:06 [peter]
Zakim, mute me
13:39:06 [Zakim]
peter should now be muted
13:39:09 [markel]
I agree with Peter
13:39:15 [shawn]
ack me
13:39:27 [shadi]
SLH: no strong feelings
13:39:29 [shadi]
ack me
13:39:37 [shadi]
SAZ: no strong feelings
13:39:57 [shadi]
RESOLUTION: symposium topic is "Mobile Accessibility"
13:40:03 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
13:40:03 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
13:40:07 [shawn]
zakim, mute me
13:40:07 [Zakim]
Shawn should now be muted
13:40:23 [shadi]
ack me
13:40:53 [shawn]
SAZ: one more open issue with template
13:40:59 [peter]
Template URL: http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Paper_Template
13:41:27 [shadi]
[[ the previous work that the proposed approach based on;
13:41:27 [shadi]
the problem that was addressed;
13:41:29 [shadi]
the major hurdles found in the process;
13:41:31 [shadi]
the main outcomes, lessons learned, and mistakes made;
13:41:33 [shadi]
the future perspectives opened with this work. ]]
13:41:37 [peter]
q+
13:42:03 [peter]
ack me
13:42:11 [shadi]
SAZ: need a customized one for this particular topic
13:42:49 [shadi]
PT: copy & paste error too
13:43:41 [shadi]
SH: sequences seems to be different but questions may map
13:44:02 [shadi]
...for example switch around 1st & 2nd in the cfp
13:44:36 [shadi]
q+
13:44:49 [shadi]
...only strategy seems to be non-matching
13:44:55 [shadi]
ack me
13:44:57 [sharper]
ack s
13:45:00 [peter]
Zakim, mute me
13:45:00 [Zakim]
peter should now be muted
13:46:44 [shawn]
saz: ... general approach similar between topics, but make sure any customized wording matches between CfP & template
13:47:24 [shadi]
SH: template can be changed around a little to match CFP
13:47:25 [peter]
Yup sounds good i. generic to custom template, ii. consistency between temp ate and call.
13:47:37 [shadi]
...will work on it
13:47:49 [shadi]
...change the ordering and align the wording
13:48:08 [peter]
Thanks Simon! Happy to help if needed.
13:48:12 [shawn]
q+ to note dates seem wrong between http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Mobile_Topic_Timeline & http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Mobile#Important_Dates
13:48:21 [shawn]
ack me
13:48:22 [Zakim]
shawn, you wanted to note dates seem wrong between http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Mobile_Topic_Timeline & http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Mobile#Important_Dates
13:48:28 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
13:48:28 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
13:49:02 [shadi]
SLH: mismatch of dates
13:49:07 [shadi]
SH: will fix these too
13:49:56 [shadi]
SH: note the uneven dates for week 7, 5, and 3
13:50:03 [shadi]
...needed more time for paper review
13:50:25 [shadi]
zakim, take up next
13:50:25 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "Publication Format Redux - (Shadi's Report on Options)" taken up [from sharper]
13:51:20 [shadi]
SH: SAZ was going to look into possible options
13:51:22 [shawn]
q+ to say haven't worked on proceedings package yet
13:51:22 [shadi]
ack me
13:51:45 [shadi]
SAZ: still open action
13:51:52 [shawn]
ack me
13:51:52 [Zakim]
shawn, you wanted to say haven't worked on proceedings package yet
13:52:12 [shadi]
SLH: looking into proceedings package too
13:52:19 [shadi]
zakim, take up next
13:52:19 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "Current W3C Note Status (Giorgio, Markel, Josh, Shadi)" taken up [from sharper]
13:52:35 [sharper]
regrets+ O'Connor_Joshue
13:53:13 [sharper]
regrets+ Mohamad_Yehya
13:53:20 [shawn]
SAZ: I have latest draft from editors. Approach for papers might change. open action to put in W3C Note format.
13:53:28 [shadi]
zakim, take up next
13:53:28 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "Topic 3 (Shawn)" taken up [from sharper]
13:53:37 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
13:53:37 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
13:53:54 [shawn]
Text Customization http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Text_Customization
13:54:17 [shadi]
SH: want to start getting this topic on our radars
13:54:23 [shadi]
...Text Customization
13:54:30 [shadi]
SLH: have been refining the scope
13:54:51 [shadi]
...balancing broadening approach versus stay focused on the particular issue
13:55:16 [peter]
(would like to skim it)
13:55:24 [shadi]
...main focus is users with low vision, dyslexia, and others who need to customize the text
13:55:54 [shawn]
oops -- changes to cope didn't get saved! :(
13:56:49 [peter]
:)
13:56:54 [shawn]
lok at this page instead: http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Text_Customization_Symposium_draft_page
13:56:57 [shadi]
SH: propose this as topic 3, would like people's thoughts on this
13:57:59 [shadi]
SH: need to be cautious of august
13:58:56 [peter]
q+
13:59:00 [peter]
ack me
13:59:07 [shadi]
SH: what do people think of the topic?
13:59:10 [markel]
sounds good to me
13:59:14 [shadi]
PT: would be very useful topic
13:59:41 [peter]
Zakim, mute me
13:59:41 [Zakim]
peter should now be muted
13:59:46 [shadi]
q+
13:59:53 [shadi]
ack me
14:00:12 [markel]
q+
14:00:32 [shawn]
SAZ: important topic. have some editorial comments. overall idea & approach seems fine.
14:00:38 [sharper]
ack m
14:00:49 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
14:00:49 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
14:01:02 [shadi]
MV: sound approach
14:01:10 [shadi]
...but title may be misleading
14:01:21 [shawn]
q+ to point to title ideas: http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Text_Customization#Text_Customization_Topic_Proposal
14:01:29 [shadi]
...readibility and legibility may be keywords too
14:01:29 [christos]
q+
14:01:36 [christos]
ack me
14:01:39 [shadi]
...or adaptations
14:01:42 [sharper]
ack sh
14:01:42 [Zakim]
shawn, you wanted to point to title ideas: http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Text_Customization#Text_Customization_Topic_Proposal
14:01:43 [shawn]
ack me
14:02:01 [shadi]
SLH: welcome suggestions, have some other title ideas
14:02:47 [shadi]
SH: could play with sub-title too
14:04:21 [christos]
problem with the mike
14:04:31 [christos]
I agree with markel
14:04:42 [christos]
maybe adaptive text...
14:04:51 [shawn]
other ideas?
14:05:10 [christos]
or something like that... because my mind went to fonts when I first saw the title
14:05:11 [markel]
That is good
14:05:25 [christos]
That's all
14:05:37 [christos]
zakim, mute me
14:05:37 [Zakim]
christos should now be muted
14:06:00 [peter]
Three cheers for topic 3 (being this)
14:06:01 [sharper]
+1 to topic 3
14:06:04 [shadi]
+1
14:06:06 [shawn]
+1 :)
14:06:07 [markel]
+1
14:06:13 [christos]
+1
14:06:17 [shadi]
RESOLUTION: Text Customization is Topic 3
14:06:53 [shadi]
q+
14:07:09 [shadi]
SLH: wanted a pre-call for mobile topic
14:07:13 [shadi]
...could try for this one
14:07:29 [shadi]
SH: want to give heads-up to Coordination Group
14:07:56 [shadi]
...could even announce during mobile accessibility symposium
14:08:03 [shadi]
...have time to discuss the timeline
14:08:09 [shadi]
...we are well ahead
14:08:34 [shawn]
q?
14:08:37 [shadi]
ack me
14:09:31 [shadi]
SAZ: have a CG call today, can give them a heads-up
14:09:46 [shadi]
...but let's work on getting them more involved
14:10:06 [shadi]
SH: yes, as previously discussed want to get more direct input from them
14:10:23 [shadi]
...will send them messages directly
14:10:27 [shadi]
zakim, take up next
14:10:27 [Zakim]
agendum 6. "Timelines / Schedule to 30th June 2013 (Simon)" taken up [from sharper]
14:11:17 [shadi]
SH: worry that we may miss our planned goals for the first year
14:12:09 [shadi]
...need to plan out the next topic timelines, even if we don't know the exact topics yet
14:12:27 [shadi]
...just to have some group commitment
14:13:36 [peter]
Sounds good
14:13:38 [shadi]
SAZ: sounds like a really good approach
14:13:50 [shadi]
...we also built lots of know-how in the first year
14:13:56 [shadi]
zakim, take up next
14:13:56 [Zakim]
agendum 7. "RDWG Incubator (Simon)" taken up [from sharper]
14:14:27 [shadi]
SH: talked about this approach a while ago
14:15:11 [shadi]
...want to drop it as we can't really do it in addition to all the other work
14:15:53 [shadi]
SH: incubator concept was to populate topics that we do not address
14:16:08 [shadi]
...rather than leave them dangling
14:16:09 [shadi]
q+
14:16:36 [shadi]
...anybody can add to the wiki topics
14:16:48 [peter]
q+
14:16:50 [shadi]
...but don't see that ocurring just yet
14:17:02 [peter]
ack me
14:17:04 [shadi]
ack peter
14:17:06 [sharper]
ack p
14:17:15 [shadi]
PT: agree with simon
14:17:28 [shadi]
...even mobile sympsoium did not get much contribution
14:17:45 [shadi]
...can only do certain amount of work
14:18:01 [shadi]
...then needs chair and W3C staff to do the final reviews
14:18:12 [shadi]
ack me
14:18:12 [peter]
zakim, mute me
14:18:13 [Zakim]
peter should now be muted
14:19:20 [shawn]
SAZ: in principle, agree with peter. however...
14:19:57 [shawn]
... maybe not completly drop it, yet look at reduced version for if we do have contributors in the futre
14:20:11 [shawn]
s/futre/future/
14:20:22 [shawn]
... WG maybe do light-weight review
14:20:34 [shawn]
for formal approval, but gettting some WG perspecgives
14:21:37 [shadi]
SH: question is we can develop them to a certain standard
14:21:47 [shadi]
...then toss them to other groups
14:21:49 [shadi]
q+
14:22:09 [shadi]
ack me
14:23:06 [shadi]
SAZ: agree with the idea
14:23:19 [shadi]
...but maybe not focus on a particular group
14:23:35 [shadi]
SH: ok, want to keep as an issue to keep coming back to it
14:24:40 [shadi]
ISSUE: shelf the Incubator concept for now until we can get better resources
14:24:40 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-1 - Shelf the Incubator concept for now until we can get better resources ; please complete additional details at http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/issues/1/edit .
14:24:55 [sharper]
zakim, agenda?
14:24:55 [Zakim]
I see 4 items remaining on the agenda:
14:24:56 [Zakim]
7. RDWG Incubator (Simon) [from sharper]
14:24:56 [Zakim]
8. Conference Management Systems (OpenConf via Shadi) [from sharper]
14:24:56 [Zakim]
9. Face to Face Meeting Discussion (Simon) [from sharper]
14:24:56 [Zakim]
10. Any Other Business [from sharper]
14:25:31 [shadi]
zakim, close agendum 7
14:25:31 [Zakim]
agendum 7, RDWG Incubator (Simon), closed
14:25:32 [Zakim]
I see 3 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
14:25:32 [Zakim]
8. Conference Management Systems (OpenConf via Shadi) [from sharper]
14:25:40 [shadi]
zakim, take up agendum 9
14:25:40 [Zakim]
agendum 9. "Face to Face Meeting Discussion (Simon)" taken up [from sharper]
14:26:13 [shadi]
SH: every so often there is a face-to-face meeting
14:26:36 [shadi]
...needs travel support
14:27:21 [shawn]
TPAC 2012 http://www.w3.org/2012/10/TPAC/ 29 October - 2 November 2012, Lyon, France
14:27:35 [shawn]
SAZ: meet f2f, also with other groups. logistics provided.
14:27:41 [shawn]
... e.g., can talk with mobile WG
14:28:20 [sharper]
29 October through 2 November 2012
14:28:31 [sharper]
Lyon, France at the Cité Centre de Congrès de Lyon
14:29:07 [shadi]
SH: need to confirm group meeting by 30 April
14:29:48 [shadi]
...involves travel costs
14:31:22 [shawn]
SAZ: f2f particulalry useful for WGs developing spec. here we are somehwat diff group. huge benefit is group building
14:31:29 [shawn]
q+ to say conf
14:31:38 [peter]
q+
14:31:42 [markel]
sorry guys, I've to leave
14:31:47 [shawn]
... increasing output & effectiveness of group
14:31:50 [shawn]
ack me
14:31:51 [Zakim]
shawn, you wanted to say conf
14:31:58 [markel]
talk to you soon
14:32:01 [shawn]
ack me
14:32:03 [markel]
markel has left #rd
14:32:10 [shadi]
q?
14:32:24 [Zakim]
-markel
14:32:34 [shadi]
SLH: maybe try to do more meetups at conferences rather than one f2f
14:32:55 [shadi]
...people already travel around quite a bit
14:32:59 [christos]
sorry everybody... I have to go too.... bye
14:33:11 [peter]
ack me
14:33:29 [shadi]
PT: agree that face time is really important
14:33:57 [peter]
Zakim, mute me
14:33:57 [Zakim]
peter should now be muted
14:34:17 [shawn]
agenda?
14:34:24 [peter]
cheers :-) (will be in touch by email simon)
14:34:27 [Zakim]
-Shawn
14:34:29 [Zakim]
-Shadi
14:34:33 [peter]
peter has left #rd
14:34:41 [Zakim]
-peter
14:39:46 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
14:39:46 [Zakim]
On the phone I see christos (muted), sharper
14:40:01 [shadi]
zakim, drop christos
14:40:01 [Zakim]
christos is being disconnected
14:40:03 [Zakim]
-christos
14:40:07 [shadi]
zakim, drop sharper
14:40:07 [Zakim]
sharper is being disconnected
14:40:08 [Zakim]
WAI_RDWG()9:30AM has ended
14:40:08 [Zakim]
Attendees were Shawn, Shadi, christos, sharper, peter, markel
14:40:20 [shadi]
trackbot, end meeting
14:40:20 [trackbot]
Zakim, list attendees
14:40:20 [Zakim]
sorry, trackbot, I don't know what conference this is
14:40:28 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, please draft minutes
14:40:28 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/04/04-rd-minutes.html trackbot
14:40:29 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, bye
14:40:29 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items