IRC log of tagmem on 2012-04-03

Timestamps are in UTC.

07:29:05 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #tagmem
07:29:05 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/04/03-tagmem-irc
07:29:07 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
07:29:07 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #tagmem
07:29:08 [timbl]
JAR: I know what Adam Barth us up to, SES peopl are upt o
07:29:09 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be TAG
07:29:09 [Zakim]
I do not see a conference matching that name scheduled within the next hour, trackbot
07:29:10 [trackbot]
Meeting: Technical Architecture Group Teleconference
07:29:10 [trackbot]
Date: 03 April 2012
07:29:32 [masinter]
q+ to talk about 'origin'
07:29:37 [JeniT]
s/peopl are upt o/people are up to/
07:29:39 [timbl]
Noah: Robin and i exchanged email.
07:30:12 [timbl]
My previous expernec was atht web hasbeen less siccesssful than I had oped.
07:30:46 [JeniT]
s/expernec was atht web hasbeen less siccesssful than I had oped/experience was that web has been less successsful than I had hoped/
07:30:51 [timbl]
I got this music catalog though the post, with "ios rocks" in the music catalog -- an maazing list of ting s people are building with natuve
07:31:11 [timbl]
like a mixing oard with ipad dock and the software on the ipad
07:31:41 [timbl]
This needs a proprietary hardware connector for example.
07:32:32 [timbl]
... 6 channel streaming recorder, effects pedal, ...etc
07:32:32 [timbl]
'
07:32:42 [timbl]
so you need low-level access to things like DSPs
07:32:55 [timbl]
Robin; That is access to the core audio API.
07:33:24 [timbl]
Yves: Actually for audio you can do all the processing in JS< it is a q of latency why you need cior audio.
07:33:31 [timbl]
s/cior/core/
07:33:58 [masinter]
aspects of native: (a) performance (b) access to APIs (c) monetization (d) trust
07:34:06 [masinter]
q?
07:34:49 [timbl]
Noah: A risk of de=facto stdization around a particular connector
07:34:51 [masinter]
maybe (b) and (d) are related? vendors link (b) to (c) because platform vendors take percentage
07:35:09 [timbl]
q?
07:35:09 [masinter]
(a) performance = throughput but also latency
07:35:14 [jrees]
q?
07:36:02 [JeniT]
timbl: using RDF library, has to be aware of 303s etc
07:36:13 [JeniT]
... when running as a script rather than plugin
07:36:26 [JeniT]
... same RDF library; in library it's omnipotent, otherwise in script mode
07:36:29 [noah]
TBL: I was coding the RDF library, which has to be aware of things like 303 redirects. Found that when you're running things as script as opposed to plugin (as plugin it's omnipotent). In script mode, get nasty erros
07:36:34 [JeniT]
... in script, timeout
07:36:35 [noah]
s/erros/errors/
07:36:45 [noah]
TBL: Get blocked by cross-site scripting
07:37:30 [noah]
TBL: There was no error code or exception. I raised it on the list. The response I got is "it's really important not to give a response, so the app can't phish to find out what's possible"
07:38:13 [noah]
TBL: Two points: 1) I think it's distressing to have a system that doesn't help you debug; 2) the system has to be capable of running in a trusted mode where you're sure you'll get some kind of response, either success or error
07:38:53 [noah]
JAR: Seems analagous to Noah's point about access to the hardware port
07:39:19 [noah]
Noah: Yes, except the port access stuff may be harder to make portable if the ports are proprietary and different
07:39:55 [masinter]
air & phonegap are examples of 'native app' development tools which allow writing apps as both webapps and native
07:40:03 [noah]
TBL: A lot of people have assumed there will be shades of gray between fully trusted and untrusted apps. Seeming like some people are feeling the middle ground may be too hard to work out.
07:40:23 [masinter]
http://phonegap.com/
07:40:36 [noah]
TBL: The architecture which is emerging has only the two extremes.
07:40:53 [noah]
JAR: Do you, Tim, agree that the middle ground is unlikely to worth working toward
07:41:21 [darobin]
q+ to point out that there is some possibility for APIs in the grey areas as well; point out new work; different design for trusted APIs
07:41:45 [noah]
TBL: Seems like a research project. I'm interested in the TAG's position on the question: should APIs always give good responses for both trusted and untrusted apps
07:41:57 [timbl]
jar:
07:42:19 [timbl]
the quesion is, is there any middle ground between teh completely trusted and untruted app.
07:42:40 [timbl]
orthognal question, can you deisgn APIs wich work in either situatii?
07:42:54 [timbl]
there are two general approcahes on the table, form 50k m view
07:43:19 [timbl]
One apprach is origin case, origin(module) defines power fo module, links to CORS design
07:43:35 [darobin]
q+ to say that SES does not buy you privilege security
07:43:35 [timbl]
The Adam design is you get power by beiung passed it as a parameter
07:44:01 [timbl]
This is a 30 year old ACL vs Capability argument, we should nto get into it now. People are polarized.
07:44:53 [timbl]
In tim's example, using XHR, you are saying herer is the URl and getting back a response callback, or your callback jut doesn't callback in the bad case
07:45:18 [timbl]
In teh origin cae, yo would the origin of the module have the right to do ac call to that URI.
07:45:26 [Yves]
s/teh/the/
07:45:30 [Yves]
s/cae/case/
07:45:36 [Yves]
s/yo/you/
07:47:05 [noah]
RB: The origin is that of the HTML page, not the Javascript. It does not track the origin of the script code.
07:47:33 [timbl]
Robin: The origin is the onen -- the HTML age -- which involed teh js, noyt the actual URI the js was load ed from is irrelevant
07:48:03 [noah]
Robin: this stuff is not namespaced
07:48:09 [noah]
q+ to talk about shared libraries
07:48:39 [timbl]
Robin: The js is not namespaces -- anything can put calbacks on anything, no boundarties.
07:49:02 [timbl]
jar: The aim is "write once, ru anywhere".
07:49:07 [timbl]
s/ru/run/
07:49:55 [noah]
JAR: Javascript's kind of like JavaScript
07:50:13 [masinter]
q-
07:50:32 [noah]
NM: Well, Java has a pretty elaborate class loader model that's pertinent to how Java code is loaded and gets privilege
07:50:37 [timbl]
q+ to just add srever-side and command-line working
07:51:26 [timbl]
jar: java security was a disaster -- basde on call chain -- like th eorigin system
07:51:41 [noah]
s/th e origin/the origin/
07:51:49 [timbl]
jar: in the calability method , you have a param you can pass which gives you the right to do things and you passs it to the ibrary
07:52:35 [timbl]
jar: theer is intense pressure to make js apps wok and access things for whcih you nee privs
07:52:59 [darobin]
s/theer/there/
07:54:24 [timbl]
[Enter Dom]
07:54:25 [darobin]
q?
07:54:52 [timbl]
dom: a lot of the topics you have been discussing ay be very relevant to what I will present
07:55:19 [timbl]
jar; personally, i find this the way to think about it -- it is a q if privs and to whom they are granted.
07:55:44 [timbl]
there are more than two priv levels -- infact theer are many levels -- it might have access to the net but not the cor audio for example.
07:56:10 [darobin]
q+ to add mention of UI/policy; policy-granularity issues
07:56:11 [timbl]
oin fact there are questipns of top wha inside the app it is granted -- not the whole app, as now.
07:56:35 [timbl]
q+ to mention agenst of other companies
07:56:38 [darobin]
q+ to mention modules
07:56:56 [timbl]
q?
07:57:01 [darobin]
ack me
07:57:01 [Zakim]
darobin, you wanted to point out that there is some possibility for APIs in the grey areas as well; point out new work; different design for trusted APIs and to say that SES does
07:57:01 [noah]
ack next
07:57:04 [Zakim]
... not buy you privilege security and to add mention of UI/policy; policy-granularity issues and to mention modules
07:57:04 [Zakim]
noah, you wanted to talk about shared libraries
07:57:12 [timbl]
robin; many things to say
07:57:38 [timbl]
1) w3c has sent out annoncemnet that it is looking into new work for system level apis -- see member only https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2012JanMar/0057.html
07:57:59 [noah]
q+
07:58:07 [timbl]
dom: The device API meting is open and discussed this
07:59:12 [timbl]
robin: When you design APIS which wok inside the browser security moel, the API looks very diff from something doen with full trust access. These is investiagtoi of new work area for APIs specifically for ocp,etely trusted APIs
07:59:32 [timbl]
2) even if we take teh very simple binafry on/off trusr. ther si some roiom for great area.
07:59:48 [timbl]
the example fo fthe XHR where you want to not to give error messages
08:00:06 [timbl]
In firefox, you double-clik the tab and it makes it an installed apps.
08:00:08 [timbl]
tim: really?
08:00:57 [timbl]
robin; Concepet of ionstaleld apps. They don't have to have high-level apps, yo can givetehm specific iprivs -- greater local storage, system notification,s getting error mesage scould be some
08:01:18 [Yves]
s/Concepet of ionstaleld/Concept of installed/
08:01:33 [timbl]
Most of what i wanted to talk abouyt can go into DOM's session
08:01:45 [timbl]
SeS are not a solution to the trust issue
08:01:50 [timbl]
jar: you mean security
08:02:54 [timbl]
robin;: They intermesh -- ses allows you to bring in 3rd party which operate inside a limited space without acecss to each other
08:02:54 [noah]
q-
08:03:20 [timbl]
all polict based systems whcih don't pluf the xss hole are really threatened by thta hole
08:03:21 [Ashok]
q+
08:04:06 [timbl]
jar: ses doesn't tell ou a notion of what things have what authority intp running code - you have to say, (like in powerbx etc and ongioing work) how you collect the quere
08:04:45 [noah]
TBL: This isn't just about trusted apps. I use the same code, server side, and on the command line, including for test harnesses. I want all that to run my AJAX code. This needs to be part of normal computing.
08:05:01 [noah]
TBL: So, it's not just trusted and untrusted apps in the browser, includes things like node.js.
08:05:42 [darobin]
http://www.phantomjs.org/ -> PhantomJS, run a browser on the command line
08:05:48 [noah]
TBL: Also... when you download these pieces, we'll need the concepts of agents running on behalf of completely different entities.
08:06:11 [noah]
TBL: We will have to surface remote entities as first class.
08:06:41 [darobin]
https://github.com/tmpvar/jsdom -> JSDOM, emulation of a browser environment in NodeJS
08:06:55 [noah]
TBL: If I install a bunch of stuff like /application/microsoft, I'm willing to give Microsoft certain rights to e.g. update code in that part of the space. I'd like to know what rights I'm giving them.
08:07:23 [noah]
TBL: I think the origin represents this legal entity in an obviously broken way. Maybe our Unix(TM) systems will go toward associating origins with points in the code trees.
08:08:36 [noah]
ack next
08:08:37 [Zakim]
timbl, you wanted to just add srever-side and command-line working and to mention agenst of other companies
08:08:41 [noah]
ack next
08:08:59 [timbl]
jar I youhave to specify the grandularity of the grant of authority -- is it tak, object, function, program, etc
08:09:14 [timbl]
ashok: how can i as a user give this athority to an app?
08:09:20 [timbl]
robin: unsolved problem.
08:09:28 [timbl]
.. Policy of a rathol to fall into.
08:09:36 [timbl]
s/hol/hole/
08:09:46 [timbl]
jar: what about Powerbox?
08:09:52 [timbl]
robin: later
08:10:15 [timbl]
robin: My personal tak e is a hard to get through process you can't do by mistake.
08:10:33 [timbl]
dom: at the moment you can buy stuff on the web no review
08:10:40 [dom]
dom has joined #tagmem
08:10:54 [timbl]
Noah: We are out of time.
08:11:52 [noah]
Web Applications: Security and Web Applications Permissions
08:12:05 [timbl]
topic: Web Applications: Security and Web Applications Permissions
08:12:20 [noah]
ACTION-344?
08:12:20 [trackbot]
ACTION-344 -- Jonathan Rees to alert TAG chair when CORS and/or UMP goes to LC to trigger security review -- due 2012-03-27 -- OPEN
08:12:20 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/344
08:12:28 [timbl]
Note the change in order from teh piblished agenda, this broght forward from the 100:00 today
08:12:56 [dom]
http://www.w3.org/2012/Talks/dhm-tag/
08:12:57 [timbl]
Dom: [ presents a talk of 16 slides]
08:15:59 [timbl]
Larry: Isn't monetization also a driver for native apps?
08:16:18 [timbl]
dom: Phonegap is adderssingthat, but I dobn't thing it is the biggeste driver
08:17:07 [timbl]
dom: We also are looking at layment in the W3c headlights process
08:17:48 [timbl]
dom: [edits sldei 2 to add Monetization]
08:22:13 [darobin]
FYI I proposed an approach to modularisation for features, but there was no interest: http://w3c-test.org/dap/proposals/request-feature/
08:22:17 [timbl]
jar: For privacyw ith camera, hwo about confinement?
08:22:32 [timbl]
dom: basically impossible
08:22:58 [timbl]
jar: confinement being limiting hte ability of the app to send any data back home
08:23:47 [timbl]
dom: Interestign tio explor this approach thogh
08:24:12 [timbl]
dom: [slide 6]
08:24:52 [timbl]
robin: recommend panopticlick
08:24:54 [darobin]
http://panopticlick.eff.org/
08:24:54 [dom]
https://panopticlick.eff.org/
08:26:17 [timbl]
I see: Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 2,119,594 tested so far. Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 21.02 bits of identifying information.
08:26:58 [timbl]
[discussion of fingerprinting details]
08:28:50 [Ashok]
Hmmm... I got exactly the same message from Panopticlick
08:32:16 [darobin]
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/b2g/ -> The B2G Project
08:32:28 [darobin]
https://www.tizen.org/ -> Tizen Project
08:34:26 [darobin]
http://www.w3.org/community/coremob/ -> Core Mobile Web Platform CG
08:44:07 [masinter]
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-lbyr-uri-option-14
08:44:35 [jrees]
RSA Conference 2011 - Making Security Decisions Disappear into the User's Workflow - Alan Karp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POA8SLCT5EY&noredirect=1
08:45:06 [masinter]
http://www.w3.org/2010/api-privacy-ws/
08:46:29 [jrees]
here's Karp's tech report http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2009/HPL-2009-341.pdf
08:55:22 [timbl]
_______
08:55:31 [timbl]
Robi: this is how web intents basially works.
08:55:43 [timbl]
You have a service page hcih defines an action, like Pick.
08:55:59 [timbl]
Piucking a set of contacts from the addressbook for say asending an emial
08:56:20 [timbl]
the service edfinition declares what it can do, pick a set of contacts.
08:56:40 [timbl]
Then the user agrent regises this service, modulo user input (?TBD)
08:57:03 [timbl]
(chrome people think it can be registerd without ui)
08:57:18 [timbl]
You then have a client page.
08:57:36 [timbl]
Suppose you have a game -- you don't give the game full access to the entire addressbook.
08:58:00 [timbl]
You just wan to it to be given aceess to a set of people
08:58:52 [timbl]
The cleint page says "Start activity... pick contacts" includes a button hich the user must press on
08:59:01 [timbl]
this pops up a dialog to chose which srevice
08:59:46 [timbl]
then it instantiates the service page on the side [in an iframe?] and you pick yoru contacts
09:00:05 [timbl]
and the contacts are returned to the to the original page.
09:01:38 [Ashok]
Ashok has joined #tagmem
09:02:08 [timbl]
jenit: who defines whcih fields are actually called
09:02:22 [timbl]
s/called/transferred/
09:09:59 [timbl]
robin: The service page just gives a URI iddentifying the action, and one identifying the "type" whcih is a random sementic-free paramter used just as a filter
09:17:17 [noah]
q?
09:46:46 [timbl]
______ [break] _____
09:46:55 [timbl]
Ashok: ...
09:47:18 [timbl]
Dom: right now, policy cosiderations are all ateth browser level -- ability to access a website is granted indefinitely
09:47:32 [timbl]
Ashok: You asked about geolocation -- that uses policy?
09:47:49 [timbl]
dom: In a browser-dependent way - all depends on whethre user as granted it many times, etc
09:47:55 [timbl]
.. this all left to the browser
09:48:01 [timbl]
Ashok; not to the user?
09:48:16 [timbl]
Dom: For geolocation...
09:48:24 [timbl]
Ashok: yo can as a user author a policy?
09:48:35 [timbl]
dom: you can revoke access for a given webite.
09:48:54 [timbl]
there is no UI for it, there is no policy api in the web briwser
09:49:10 [timbl]
In deveice APIs, we really did explore that space quite a lot.
09:49:27 [timbl]
They could seethe long term value but ...
09:50:04 [timbl]
Some talk about having a generic application-wide ploicy, like CIA wantt o to prevent location aver being availebl
09:50:24 [timbl]
dom: [slide 9/16]
09:51:35 [timbl]
Robin: The ideal is fro the user to make an informed decision without thinking 0.5 ;-)
09:52:40 [timbl]
jar: what info is not sensitibve
09:53:14 [timbl]
larry: sometimes a problem is one person giving away ino sensitive another person. like mentiojing their name and email in the same sentence
09:53:35 [timbl]
we can't just restrict heis talk of privacy to a user's own informarion
09:55:21 [timbl]
larry: When geopriv talked about privacy policy, they ended up with a API extension which inststed on pasing a policy and a timeout with every API call
09:55:42 [timbl]
dom: I am not saying thie is THE solution, i am just pointing out what is out there
09:56:09 [timbl]
larry: consent, opt in and opt out .. we should look hard at te assumiton that assent helps.
10:00:48 [darobin]
q+ ht
10:01:07 [darobin]
ack ht
10:01:07 [noah]
ack next
10:02:09 [timbl]
ht: i am persdonally in the "always run virus check" in anything I install
10:02:29 [timbl]
as I had a terrbl expereince with a bad download once.
10:03:37 [timbl]
... tjere is nothing on the phone which allows me to look at any web app, look at the javascript, and figure out whether
10:03:51 [timbl]
it is a bad one.
10:04:17 [jrees]
http://www.veracode.com/ ???
10:04:22 [timbl]
Noah: Different - viruses you just look for signature of particular hacks, on js in general, you can't just look atthe code
10:04:43 [timbl]
tim: Codepath tracing is gettinng pretty soipohisticated, and maybe in the future yo might be able to
10:04:45 [timbl]
q+
10:05:06 [timbl]
robin: There is a crowdsourced databse of known bad web apps
10:07:25 [timbl]
q-
10:09:51 [timbl]
The Nutrition Facts for what apps to for you would be a great additioon to the ad-on store,as it would renove the "after that a free-forall": problem
10:10:13 [timbl]
q+
10:10:28 [timbl]
Noah: diff suers might care about diff things -- especially among marioo users
10:10:43 [timbl]
some users would regret their deceision a lot, lots wouldn't
10:17:21 [timbl]
robin: The android ui is generally regarded as horrible
10:17:48 [timbl]
toim: maybe with some rethnking it could be better, and if it makes promises about what the app will do rather than talk about th elow-lwvel access the app is allowed.
10:18:35 [noah]
q?
10:19:08 [timbl]
q-
10:24:19 [darobin]
http://i.imgur.com/JWEII.jpg -> screenshot of the Android permissions dialog
10:28:49 [timbl]
q+
10:29:16 [JeniT]
larry: we don't have a vocabulary for trust
10:29:46 [JeniT]
... I would like to see use cases; we have stories that we should collect together and analyse them
10:30:08 [JeniT]
timbl: we've been doing that within MIT for 10 years
10:30:30 [JeniT]
... anyone who tries to make an algebra of trust is making a big mistake
10:30:34 [JeniT]
... they don't match the real world
10:31:02 [JeniT]
... trust systems have to connect to the real world, and therefore has to be a semweb application
10:31:18 [JeniT]
... I want to be able to say that my coworkers can access something
10:31:34 [JeniT]
... that the DIG blog could be commented on by friends of friends
10:31:37 [masinter]
q+ to talk about identity and 'owner'
10:31:44 [JeniT]
... or who had attended a particular conference
10:31:59 [JeniT]
... I don't want to have a Google Circle to drag them into
10:32:09 [JeniT]
... you have to connect trust to reality
10:32:15 [JeniT]
... which is what the semantic web does
10:32:26 [masinter]
http://masinter.blogspot.com/2011/08/internet-privacy-telling-friend-may.html
10:32:57 [JeniT]
larry: I was complaining about the word 'owner' to talk about meaning, because we don't have a good notion of identity
10:33:16 [JeniT]
... in order to talk about trust, you have to have a model of identity
10:33:31 [JeniT]
... if there's a problem defining the owner of a URI
10:33:46 [JeniT]
... or the namespace of individuals
10:34:02 [JeniT]
... perhaps we create a namespace of identity by projecting owners
10:34:15 [JeniT]
... you provide identity by saying which URIs they control
10:34:23 [timbl]
Larry: maybe we could identify principles by the URI [domain names, email ids etc] they control
10:34:42 [JeniT]
timbl: that's OpenID
10:34:57 [JeniT]
... it identifies you as the person who has write access to a given page
10:35:11 [JeniT]
robin: and BrowserID identifies you through an email address
10:35:16 [JeniT]
timbl: and WebID does the same thing
10:35:29 [darobin]
q?
10:35:33 [masinter]
q-
10:36:00 [masinter]
i wonder what is the identity of "browser vendors"
10:42:05 [Ashok]
q+
10:42:37 [masinter]
product safety evaluations
10:42:40 [masinter]
q+
10:43:27 [timbl]
q-
10:43:50 [JeniT]
larry: this is like product safety
10:43:59 [JeniT]
... cars that you can drive off a cliff aren't unsafe
10:44:33 [JeniT]
... there's an assumption about asking permission where people understand the permission is better than one where the permission isn't clear
10:44:42 [JeniT]
... perhaps these are like product safety ratings
10:44:58 [JeniT]
... are we looking for PICS extended to apps
10:45:18 [JeniT]
... as we talk about rating and validating
10:45:27 [JeniT]
robin: that could be done in the ecosystem, but not at this level
10:45:36 [JeniT]
larry: the stuff about what apps gets into the app store
10:45:47 [JeniT]
robin: if you have a policy-based system; that's the question we have to ask first
10:45:54 [JeniT]
dom: out-of-band curation is one possible approach
10:45:59 [JeniT]
... I think we'll see multiple approaches
10:46:10 [JeniT]
... there isn't a shared understanding within the WGs about what will work for the web
10:46:20 [JeniT]
robin: or what the stories are, what the problem space are, what the terminology is
10:46:27 [JeniT]
larry: the stuff about origin is also a matter of trust
10:46:30 [JeniT]
... a matter of brand
10:46:47 [JeniT]
... I trust my bank, and things I download from my bank
10:46:55 [JeniT]
... brands give you trust
10:47:05 [JeniT]
dom: I agree that origin is related to brand
10:47:18 [JeniT]
larry: there's something about PICS we don't want to repeat, as it didn't succeed
10:47:26 [JeniT]
... but we can't avoid it by just saying we're not going there
10:47:41 [JeniT]
dom: I don't think any of us know where exactly we're going
10:48:00 [JeniT]
... I think the TAG, as cross-group, cross-technology issues should be helping
10:48:17 [JeniT]
... to identify terminology, to identify experts
10:48:35 [JeniT]
larry: I'm trying to map out the space: brand, trust, rating, authority
10:48:46 [JeniT]
... finding others who have mapped out the space, and adopt the framework
10:49:11 [JeniT]
noah: we've often said that the TAG should work in this space, but not found someone to do it
10:49:30 [JeniT]
robin: I would like to do this work
10:49:39 [JeniT]
... the first step, which might lead to further work...
10:49:46 [JeniT]
... would be to agree on some terminology
10:49:51 [JeniT]
... which is currently chaotic
10:50:12 [JeniT]
... it would be very helpful for cross-group understanding
10:50:21 [JeniT]
noah: who else would we have to involve?
10:50:30 [JeniT]
robin: from B2G project, from the Trident project
10:50:45 [JeniT]
noah: could we do that without starting a Community Group?
10:50:50 [JeniT]
robin: maybe a TF?
10:51:13 [JeniT]
... I'd avoid a CG because it can be hard for members to join
10:51:20 [JeniT]
... I'd prefer a TF, separate from www-tag
10:51:47 [JeniT]
ashok: a Finding on this would be wonderful
10:52:14 [JeniT]
... terminology, mapping the landscape, use cases
10:52:43 [JeniT]
noah: we have to work out the initial scope
10:53:10 [JeniT]
ashok: I would go beyond terminology, to use cases and landscape
10:53:15 [JeniT]
robin: terminology alone won't cut it
10:53:25 [JeniT]
... first success would be to get the right people talking together
10:53:37 [JeniT]
... include people from Privacy IG
10:53:48 [JeniT]
noah: what other deliverables?
10:54:10 [JeniT]
jar: the use case list and terminology mesh very nicely
10:54:25 [JeniT]
robin: I'm happy to do that, and I can get funding to do it
10:54:42 [JeniT]
noah: does anyone object to this?
10:55:46 [JeniT]
JeniT: how does the privacy draft fit into this?
10:56:00 [JeniT]
robin: I will need to think about whether it should be a product of the TF
10:56:12 [JeniT]
noah: from TAG logistics, is it one or two things to track
10:56:42 [JeniT]
timbl: we could bank what we have, publish it as a Note
10:56:48 [JeniT]
... get it out there
10:57:02 [JeniT]
noah: there's a dated editor's draft available
10:57:16 [JeniT]
... to publish it as a Note, we'd need more sessions
10:58:16 [JeniT]
timbl: we should produce something sooner rather than later
10:58:54 [JeniT]
noah: we were reviewing as first draft yesterday
10:59:06 [JeniT]
robin: I have a bunch of updates to make on it
11:00:24 [JeniT]
... I'll do another draft, and let's see what people think of it then
11:01:47 [JeniT]
larry: I'd be happy publishing it to say "this is our initial work on this topic, which we will take forward"
11:02:22 [JeniT]
... my objections were about taking it forward as a longer-term effort
11:02:39 [JeniT]
... in terms of RFC categories, it's not April Fools and it's not Standards Track
11:02:49 [JeniT]
... publishing things early is good as long as the status is clear
11:03:10 [JeniT]
noah: I'm only worried that people might take it as being something the TAG believes
11:03:32 [darobin]
ACTION: Robin to update Privacy by Design in APIs
11:03:33 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-684 - Update Privacy by Design in APIs [on Robin Berjon - due 2012-04-10].
11:03:46 [JeniT]
ashok: how does this relate to the bigger Finding we talked about?
11:04:01 [JeniT]
noah: Robin should scope that larger thing, I think we should leave it to him
11:04:13 [JeniT]
... draft a product page
11:04:34 [JeniT]
jar: limited scope for Note as written
11:04:52 [JeniT]
... I don't see the relationship with the other
11:04:59 [noah]
ACTION-514?
11:04:59 [trackbot]
ACTION-514 -- Robin Berjon to draft a finding on API minimization -- due 2012-05-01 -- PENDINGREVIEW
11:04:59 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/514
11:05:18 [JeniT]
larry: I think this is more about an architecture around security and permissions
11:05:28 [noah]
close ACTION-514
11:05:28 [trackbot]
ACTION-514 Draft a finding on API minimization closed
11:06:03 [noah]
ACTION-684 Due 2012-05-08
11:06:03 [trackbot]
ACTION-684 Update Privacy by Design in APIs due date now 2012-05-08
11:06:47 [darobin]
.ACTION: Robin to create a product page proposing the Task Force on Web Security/Privileges/Trust/etc.
11:08:14 [noah]
ACTION: Robin to create a product page proposing the Task Force on Web Security/Privileges/Trust/etc. - Due 2012-04-17
11:08:14 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-685 - create a product page proposing the Task Force on Web Security/Privileges/Trust/etc. [on Robin Berjon - due 2012-04-17].
11:08:56 [jrees]
Task force on X where X = ? some options: [Web] Privilege Grants; Web Trust use cases & terminology
12:19:21 [timbl]
timbl has joined #tagmem
12:19:45 [masinter]
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-iri-comparison-01
12:19:47 [timbl_]
timbl_ has joined #tagmem
12:20:29 [masinter]
A percent-encoding mechanism is used to represent a data octet in a component when that octet's corresponding character is outside the allowed set or is being used as a delimiter of, or within, the component. A percent-encoded octet is encoded as a character triplet, consisting of the percent character "%" followed by the two hexadecimal digits representing that octet's numeric value. For example, "%20" is the percent-encoding for the
12:22:29 [ht]
RRSAgent, minutes?
12:22:29 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. Sorry, nothing found for 'minutes'
12:22:41 [ht]
ScribeNick: ht
12:22:49 [ht]
Scribe: Henry S. Thompson
12:22:51 [Ashok]
Ashok has joined #tagmem
12:22:51 [jrees]
Larry and I agree that http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-Graph-URIref is inconsistent with RFC 3986 view of equivalence
12:22:53 [darobin]
RRSAgent, pointer?
12:22:53 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2012/04/03-tagmem-irc#T12-22-53
12:23:28 [jrees]
and that therefore the strings that are called "URIs" in RDF are not really URIs
12:23:34 [timbl]
We noted that the HTTP BIS hd been changed significantly to be consistent \with a non-document vew of the web whcih it had started with.
12:23:38 [timbl]
over lunch
12:24:11 [ht]
Topic: WebApps Storage
12:24:17 [ht]
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2012/04/02-agenda#storage
12:25:37 [masinter]
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/ticket/111
12:25:52 [masinter]
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/ticket/113
12:25:54 [ht]
NM: Time to get this over the last hurdles
12:26:07 [masinter]
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/ticket/114
12:26:28 [ht]
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/Seamless%20Applications.pdf
12:26:58 [masinter]
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/ticket/112
12:27:02 [ht]
AM: The above is a discussion document asking us to know whether we should go in this direction
12:27:16 [ht]
s/know/consider/
12:27:54 [ht]
LM: We could also consider combining this with web vs. native apps topic
12:28:27 [ht]
NM: [points us to draft product page: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/clientsidestorage-2012-03-02.html]
12:28:45 [masinter]
I think there's a strong correlation between local storage with backup (for native apps), vs web storage with caching (for web apps)
12:29:03 [noah]
noah has joined #tagmem
12:29:34 [ht]
NM: [takes us through the product page]
12:30:26 [darobin]
[larry, I think that native or web is orthogonal to this problem — issues are about identifying resources irrespective of storage location, and the value of client/server synch]
12:30:39 [ht]
NM: Is this roughly in the right direction
12:30:41 [noah]
https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/Seamless%20Applications.pdf
12:31:14 [ht]
AM: My doc addresses the question of how to write apps which would run seamlessly whether connected or disconnected
12:31:28 [ht]
... Three requirements I came up with:
12:31:47 [noah]
q+
12:31:57 [ht]
... 1) What it requires when it's connected;
12:32:09 [noah]
ack next
12:32:11 [noah]
ack next
12:32:11 [masinter]
q-
12:32:12 [noah]
ack next
12:32:14 [noah]
q?
12:32:16 [ht]
... 2) Minimum requirement when _not_ connected
12:32:33 [ht]
... 3) Where it might find those requirements
12:32:42 [noah]
I think we need to state the relationship between identification and access when connected and when not
12:33:17 [ht]
AM: Hints about (3) might be AppCache, IndexedDB, local file store, Web Storage
12:34:07 [ht]
AM: Regardless of how the local information is found, should be accessible in a uniform way
12:34:47 [ht]
NM, TBL: That sounds contradictory
12:34:59 [ht]
RB: By user or by app?
12:35:02 [ht]
AM: By app
12:35:44 [ht]
TBL: MySQL API and filestore API are different, right?
12:36:03 [ht]
AM: Yes, but once you access a particular resource, the API thereafter is the same
12:36:29 [ht]
TBL: So a resource is for instance a JSON blob
12:37:25 [ht]
Tutti: So there are two layers -- a layer of access, which is different for different stores, and a layer of utilisation of a resource once accessed, which is uniform whereever it comes from
12:38:09 [ht]
NM: So if the store happens to be a SQL store, access might involve joins
12:38:15 [ht]
AM: Yes
12:38:17 [masinter]
i'm concerned about error recovery, update conflict resolution, etc. when working offline?
12:38:44 [ht]
NM: So we don't lose the unique value of the particular storage media
12:38:46 [ht]
AM: Right
12:39:00 [ht]
TBL: Does anyone understand where this is going/why?
12:39:22 [timbl]
timbl has joined #tagmem
12:39:24 [ht]
AM: The fact is that there will be lots of different storage media
12:40:12 [jrees]
ashok urging shared API for the objects retrieved using all the various APIs?
12:40:12 [ht]
NM: So once I've got a JSON blob I can do another join
12:40:18 [ht]
AM: Not talking about that
12:40:28 [ht]
q+ to offer a motivation
12:40:42 [ht]
AM: Think of this as a calendar app
12:40:55 [timbl_]
timbl_ has joined #tagmem
12:40:57 [ht]
AM: So suppose you got the blob which is your calendar
12:41:39 [ht]
... as you work with it, you update it
12:42:11 [ht]
AM: If the app was running connected it would be working with both local and global calendar
12:43:01 [ht]
... but if running disconnected, you have only the local resource available
12:43:31 [jrees]
noah: requires distributed 2-phase commit
12:43:36 [noah]
AM: yes
12:43:46 [noah]
s/requires/does this require/
12:43:55 [ht]
AM: Once you get connected, you start transactions at both levels, back out all local-only changes, recommit them all both locally and globally, then complete the transactions
12:44:26 [ht]
NM: That requires a lot of mechanism, to support distributed two-phase commit
12:45:47 [noah]
s/commit/commit, and is typically not nearly stateless./
12:48:10 [ht]
TBL: Backing up, 'access' built out of parts, or blob stored monolithically?
12:48:41 [ht]
AM: Let's not go to complex access, e.g. joins, simpler to assume monolithic storage.
12:49:44 [ht]
TBL: IPhoto stores [in a more complex way]
12:50:26 [ht]
NM: I'm pushing on this because I think he's solving the wrong problem
12:50:35 [darobin]
s/IPhoto/iPhoto/
12:51:19 [ht]
AM: If you exploit a particular storage scheme's special properties, then you are tied to it
12:51:29 [ht]
... but I didn't want to go there
12:52:06 [JeniT]
HT: I've had this problem: you have a storage problem and an interoperability problem
12:52:14 [JeniT]
... you don't know what provision the platforms have
12:52:25 [JeniT]
... I had to write different shims for the different storage facilities across the different browsers
12:52:33 [JeniT]
... cookies, Google Gears or whatever
12:52:39 [JeniT]
... that's what Ashok is trying to solve
12:53:09 [ht]
HST: I understand the problem AM is trying to solve, it's the fact that different platforms today support _different_ basic offline storage model
12:53:34 [ht]
NM: Right, that's just a matter of API design, not a problem the TAG needs to work on
12:54:00 [ht]
AM: The problem I see is that not all the backends have transactions, which my story needs
12:54:05 [ht]
JAR: They will
12:54:18 [ht]
TBL: You can use e.g. git on top of a local filestore. . .
12:54:37 [dom]
i/TBL:/RB: localStorage won't/
12:55:03 [ht]
AM: Moving on -- if the commit described above fails, the user loses all their work
12:55:22 [ht]
NM: Fails, or there's a conflict?
12:55:37 [ht]
AM: Conflict, right -- that's the bad case
12:56:05 [ht]
AM: Can we say anything beyond "The app has to do what it can"
12:56:18 [ht]
NM: There is 30 years of work on this problem
12:56:45 [ht]
TBL: Apple Sync Services [sp?] requires you declare your object type, e.g. Calendar Event
12:57:36 [ht]
... Mostly works, but if you have conflicting values for the same field, there's a generic tabular conflict resolution display to the user
12:58:10 [ht]
TBL: My experience is that this sometimes happens when I can't see any difference in that display, or even when I haven't touched the app on the phone at all. . .
12:58:33 [ht]
NM: Lotus Notes has application-specific handlers
12:58:55 [ht]
... Default is to make two copies of the relevant unit
12:59:55 [ht]
NM: Difference between deletion and creation is tricky, sometimes handled by 'tombstones', with timeouts
13:00:29 [ht]
... so you can tell the difference between "I deleted, you didn't" and "You created, I didn't"
13:01:04 [ht]
NM: Multi-person, multi-year task and then you don't get it right -- we shouldn't go there
13:01:49 [ht]
TBL: Another route is to enforce universal undo, so you can step back one step at a time
13:02:15 [ht]
NM: You're relying on there always being a human always available to help
13:03:07 [noah]
Right...that's my bottom line. This is the wrong problem for us to be trying to solve AND, even if it were the right problem, the solutions are horrendously difficult, have been worked on for 30 years, and would be in the hands of a design/development group, not the TAG
13:03:07 [ht]
AM: Yes, some DBs to that
13:03:27 [ht]
s/human available/human/
13:03:51 [jrees]
q?
13:03:53 [jrees]
q+
13:03:57 [noah]
I would like us to look at one particular problem: when I use an application that runs locally and potentially disconnected, to update information that we otherwise want on the Web, what is good architecture regarding identification, and what latitude should be available for implementation?
13:04:06 [ht]
q- ht
13:04:48 [ht]
Tutti: discussion of various source control systems' approach to related pblms
13:04:53 [noah]
I would like to see a finding that if information is to be identified with a URI for use on the Web, then it should be identified with the same URI when accessed disconnected.
13:05:23 [ht]
JAR: I agree with NM that there is a huge background wrt sync -- is that what we want to work on?
13:05:47 [ht]
AM: Is it important for us to be able to/support other who want to write "seamless apps"
13:05:59 [noah]
q?
13:06:08 [noah]
q+ to talk about architectural principle
13:06:12 [noah]
ack jrees
13:06:30 [ht]
RB: We are seeing a collection of offline stores being deployed, can we get in now to help exploit them responsibility
13:06:51 [ht]
NM: [reads the above]
13:07:03 [ht]
s/above/above about URI/
13:07:09 [timbl_]
nm: f information is to be identified with a URI for use on the Web, then it should be identified with the same URI when accessed disconnected.
13:07:36 [ht]
AM: I asked Raman about this, wrt using GMail offline -- does the message have a URI?
13:07:50 [ht]
... He said pbly not until it gets online
13:08:22 [ht]
NM: I'm not saying it's obvious how to do this, but it would have real value if we did
13:08:55 [ht]
... Consider working on an airplane, writing a document _and_ an email which points to the document, by its URI
13:09:12 [ht]
... So that when I get online, I synchronize and the email ships
13:09:29 [ht]
... The email should point to the document online
13:09:57 [ht]
NM: This is (close to) what Lotus Notes has done for years
13:10:29 [ht]
NM: This may be too hard, at least in some cases, but it _is_ an architectural desideratum
13:11:17 [ht]
AM: How can you have the same URI -- you're not on the Web when you are on the airplane
13:11:37 [ht]
NM: Yes I am -- the Web is not a set of servers, it's an information space
13:12:49 [ht]
NM: I suspect if follows that the apps do the work, not the underlying storage mechanism
13:13:33 [ht]
... That means e.g. the JScript in GMail knows enough to create URIs in a way consistent with the way those names will be created at sync time
13:14:18 [ht]
AM: So, is all we can say application-specific architectures will exist, or can we say something overarching?
13:14:52 [ht]
NM: Well, at least Good Practices, as above, and _maybe_ design patterns and even maybe APIs to support them?
13:15:00 [noah]
s/do the work/do any necessary synchronization/
13:15:21 [ht]
TBL: LOD API work relevant?
13:15:30 [ht]
AM: Maybe
13:15:50 [Ashok]
s/LOD/LDP/
13:16:16 [noah]
NM: What I said was, I'm >guessing< that in practice apps would mostly do the syncing, as they do today. There might be some shareable infrastructure the emerges to help the apps, e.g for storing URI-identified rows in index-DB or sql and/or tracking updates since last connect.
13:16:31 [ht]
TBL: Apps use a triple-based API, which is grounded in a generic store
13:16:40 [noah]
NM: I >don't< think the TAG should spec the exact sync protocol or shared facilities. We should make statements about how URIs are used.
13:17:06 [noah]
NM: Of course, we need to be sure that what we recommend is deployable in practice, and that it meets the intended needs.
13:17:18 [ht]
TBL: Interaction between API and store is "fetch/store the entire store" or "delta"
13:17:24 [ht]
... That's where sync has to happend
13:17:30 [ht]
s/happend/happen/
13:17:47 [ht]
TBL: So this is a generic approach to sync
13:18:03 [ht]
s/is a/would enable a/
13:18:44 [noah]
q?
13:18:47 [noah]
q-
13:20:10 [ht]
NM: So, where do we go with this?
13:20:45 [ht]
NM: We've seen AM's proposal, my alternative, and TBL's LDP example
13:21:08 [ht]
... Not sure whether LDP is a third proposal
13:21:30 [ht]
AM: I think the LDP story goes way beyond NM's approach
13:21:43 [ht]
q+ to ask if we have a client
13:22:00 [jrees]
q?
13:22:05 [ht]
NM: So what story are we trying to tell?
13:22:05 [noah]
ack next
13:22:06 [Zakim]
ht, you wanted to ask if we have a client
13:22:43 [ht]
NM: Not as such -- people are building stores, but no-one has asked for our advice
13:23:12 [noah]
q?
13:23:20 [noah]
q+ to comment on Robin's proposal
13:23:26 [ht]
JAR: I prefer RB's "Goal is to try to anticipate pitfalls and raise awareness" better than the existing product page's goal
13:23:56 [ht]
HST: [above] Is anybody asking for this? Is anybody listening?
13:24:27 [ht]
NM: Yes, if you mean high-level pitfalls, i.e. we are the T _A_ G
13:25:00 [ht]
RB: I _have_ these problems today, and don't know where to look for help
13:25:18 [ht]
NM: As long as we don't try to roll our own
13:25:26 [ht]
TBL: Pointing to existing solution spaces
13:26:00 [ht]
JAR: Commissioning ourselves to do a report on the problem
13:26:24 [ht]
NM: CloudDB guys said they were building on some of the Lotus Notes work, e.g. tombstones
13:26:46 [ht]
s/CloudDB/CouchDB/g
13:26:47 [darobin]
http://couchdb.apache.org/
13:26:52 [jrees]
q?
13:27:03 [jrees]
q+ to comment on noah's idea
13:28:28 [ht]
RB: CouchDB is simple, you put JScripts docs in, nothing is deleted, you access with Map-Reduce
13:28:44 [noah]
CouchDB Overview: http://couchdb.apache.org/docs/overview.html
13:28:54 [ht]
AM: What can we say generally?
13:28:55 [dom]
[I'm not sure the TAG documenting Web apps sync will reach the right audience (presumably Web developers?)]
13:29:11 [darobin]
s/JScripts/JSON/
13:29:33 [ht]
HST: I think this is a Vietnam, we should walk away
13:30:20 [ht]
NM: Straw poll:
13:30:36 [ht]
. . . Nothing: 3+
13:31:57 [ht]
. . . Work towards a uniform API, maybe including sync, per AM/Product page: 0?
13:32:08 [ht]
. . . Patterns/pitfalls: 5
13:33:28 [ht]
NM: If we tried to do PaPi (per RB), volunteers?
13:33:36 [ht]
RB: I'll review and advise
13:33:42 [ht]
LM: As before
13:33:50 [ht]
AM: Yes, I'll try
13:33:56 [ht]
NM: I'll review
13:34:33 [ht]
NM: So, clean up the Product page and get started on the work
13:34:53 [masinter]
the product page is meta, not worth spending much time on when we can work on the document
13:35:19 [noah]
ACTION-647?
13:35:19 [trackbot]
ACTION-647 -- Ashok Malhotra to draft product page on client-side storage focusing on specific goals and success criteria -- due 2012-03-06 -- OPEN
13:35:19 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/647
13:35:33 [masinter]
are we commisioning a study or just a survey
13:36:33 [ht]
LM: If we find a survey then this can be simple -- we just distill and point
13:36:51 [masinter]
telling people where the cliffs are that they might fall off, we don't have to build the guard rails
13:37:09 [ht]
HST: I was worried that if JAR's summary, that we need to do the survey ourselves, then this is too big a task
13:37:29 [ht]
s/, then/is the case, then/
13:37:33 [masinter]
the product page is just there to tell people the general area where we're working, don't deep end on it
13:37:44 [darobin]
.ACTION: Robin to draft scope and goals for the Patterns/Pitfalls work in local/remote storage synch
13:39:22 [noah]
ACTION-572?
13:39:23 [trackbot]
ACTION-572 -- Yves Lafon to look at appcache in HTML5 -- due 2012-03-06 -- CLOSED
13:39:23 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/572
13:42:16 [ht]
NM: Adjourned until 1600, then DHM on threats and opportunities on the Mobile Web
13:53:37 [masinter`]
masinter` has joined #tagmem
13:56:08 [masinter]
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-iri-comparison-01 should update 3986
14:05:07 [masinter]
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/ticket/112
14:05:21 [masinter]
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/ticket/114
14:07:35 [masinter]
at IRI meeting last week we resolved to look at http://tools.ietf.org/wg/precis/
14:07:42 [jrees]
on break, TimBL, Larry, JAR about whether web spec level can be separated from application level and/or social good level (?)
14:07:46 [ht]
[Resuming at 1608]
14:07:54 [jrees]
s/can be/should be/
14:08:35 [jrees]
maybe s/level/scope/?
14:08:38 [masinter]
conformance vs. social expectation
14:08:55 [masinter]
conformance doesn't require you to do things that the social expectation for normal use of the web might require you to do
14:09:32 [masinter]
and if you want to create applications that rely on conforming properties, you might not be able to rely on the social conventions being followed
14:09:43 [ht]
NM: Mobile issues, then Admin
14:10:11 [ht]
DHM: Two main points
14:11:35 [ht]
DHM: Disruptive impact coming from Web being on some many different platform, but that you can build cross-/multi-platform applications
14:12:12 [ht]
... E.g. using web app on phone so that tilting phone reorients image on a different device
14:12:32 [masinter`]
masinter` has joined #tagmem
14:12:32 [ht]
... "Hyper-devices": the Web enables new use of our devices
14:12:42 [masinter]
masinter has joined #tagmem
14:13:14 [ht]
NM: Blue Spruce at IBM looked at cross-linked browsing experience
14:13:21 [ht]
AM: WebX ?
14:13:28 [darobin]
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/ibm_blue_spruce_first_look.php
14:13:35 [ht]
AM: Not shared desktop, but ???
14:13:43 [dom]
http://www.w3.org/QA/2011/11/from_hypertext_to_hyperdevices.html
14:13:45 [ht]
s/AM: Not/NM: Not/
14:13:53 [jrees]
dom, link to blog post please?
14:13:59 [ht]
NM: Linkage at the level of DOM
14:14:12 [Ashok]
s/WebX/WebEx/
14:14:32 [noah]
Project Blue Spruce may be of interest: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/ebusiness/jstart/bluespruce/
14:14:35 [ht]
DHM: Not sure about the architectural impact, but thought worth mentioning
14:14:46 [ht]
DHM: Other area is WebRTC
14:15:06 [ht]
... Real-time peer-to-peer communication
14:15:16 [ht]
... File-sharing as a side-effect
14:15:49 [ht]
DHM: WebRTC is essentially Skype within the browser
14:16:06 [ht]
... Audio-Video comms within the browser is the driving app
14:16:42 [ht]
... Two parts: Access to the camera, mike and audio out; peer-to-peer connection
14:16:58 [ht]
... There is a requirement for a mediation server, but there is work at eliminating it
14:17:32 [ht]
DHM: There's a JScript API, plus a UDP-based protocol defined at IETF
14:18:13 [ht]
... Two phases, establishing the connection and then actually trading data
14:18:28 [darobin]
s/JScript/Javascript/
14:18:49 [ht]
s/API/API defined at W3C/
14:19:12 [ht]
DHM: RTCWeb is name for IETF protocol, WebRTC is the W3C API
14:19:59 [ht]
NM: Patent problems?
14:20:20 [ht]
DHM: Pretty confident at IETF this stuff is safe
14:21:09 [ht]
... But the codec issue is still live, as it must be common between the two peers
14:21:33 [ht]
DHM: Some vendors don't want MPEG4 to be allowed
14:21:53 [ht]
LM: How far along is codec and transport
14:22:06 [ht]
s/transport/transport?/
14:22:32 [ht]
DHM: Last week at IETF Paris chairs put pressure on getting to consensus
14:23:01 [ht]
JAR: Doesn't this raise the possibility of peer-to-peer HTTP?
14:23:43 [masinter]
masinter has joined #tagmem
14:23:49 [ht]
DHM: Yes in principle, but not in practise yet, but that's one of the potential disruptive impacts that's coming
14:24:12 [masinter]
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/rtcweb/
14:24:23 [ht]
TBL: I've always been interested in p2p for HTTP as a tool against censorship
14:25:09 [ht]
DHM: At the moment the peers have to access essentially the same Web page to initiate the connection
14:25:30 [masinter]
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-channel-00
14:25:48 [masinter]
The Web Real-Time Communication (WebRTC) working group is charged to
14:25:48 [masinter]
provide protocol support for direct interactive rich communication
14:25:48 [masinter]
using audio, video, and data between two peers' web-browsers. This
14:25:51 [masinter]
document describes the non-media data transport aspects of the WebRTC
14:25:55 [masinter]
framework. It provides an architectural overview of how the Stream
14:25:58 [masinter]
Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) is used in the WebRTC context as
14:26:01 [masinter]
a generic transport service allowing Web Browser to exchange generic
14:26:04 [masinter]
data from peer to peer.
14:26:33 [masinter]
note that SCTP vs. SPDY was a hot discussion at IETF
14:26:48 [ht]
TBL: Jonathan ?? at the Berkman Center at Harvard has a project mirror as you link to develop data sharing on the Web
14:27:03 [jrees]
Zittrain
14:27:39 [ht]
s/??/Zittrain/
14:29:23 [ht]
NM: We haven't yet proven that this approach to p2p maps to the existing uses of e.g. bittorrent
14:29:49 [ht]
JAR: I was surprised that these two were tied
14:30:28 [ht]
TBL: Discovery is a big complex pblm
14:30:44 [ht]
... E.g. use a distributed hash table of everyone who is looking for a connection
14:31:14 [ht]
DHM: There is a whole stack here, with security and encryption and so on
14:32:46 [ht]
... Just SSL isn't good enough, to avoid man-in-the-middle attacks at the connection initiation time
14:33:12 [ht]
... Because we don't have universal crypto-secure personal identities
14:33:51 [ht]
... One proposal is to use mutually-trusted shared identity providers, such as Facebook, to reciprocally verify
14:34:20 [masinter]
we talked earlier about using "owner(URI)" as an identity token
14:34:44 [dom]
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rescorla-rtcweb-generic-idp-01
14:35:05 [ht]
AM: Isn't it easier to just encrypt the conversation
14:35:24 [ht]
s/conversation/conversation?/
14:35:38 [ht]
DHM: But we don't have a deployed PK system on the Web?
14:35:43 [ht]
s/?//
14:36:20 [masinter]
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/83/slides/slides-83-rtcweb-3.pdf
14:36:45 [ht]
TBL: PK doesn't need PKI -- it can be much simpler
14:37:15 [ht]
NM: Ray Ozzie did instant group-creation before he xxx, called Groove
14:38:06 [noah]
s/he xxx/his company was bought by Microsoft/
14:38:20 [ht]
JAR: PKI can be decoupled from the problem, and doesn't need the whole PKI as we understand it/
14:38:41 [noah]
NM: Groove uses a peer exchange of public keys to establish identities, then allows collaboration groups to be created across organizations
14:38:52 [jrees]
The link that LM entered is to a presentation "Media Security: A chat about RTP, SRTP, Security Descriptions, DTLS-SRTP, EKT, the past and the future"
14:38:52 [masinter]
presentation from last week's RTCWEB discussing keys management and rtcweb security
14:41:53 [ht]
NM: Thanks to DHM!
14:42:47 [ht]
Topic: Administration
14:45:09 [ht]
RESOLUTION: Minutes of 8, 15, 22 March all approved as a fair record of the respective meetings
14:45:27 [noah]
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/tag-weekly#Admin
14:45:33 [ht]
NM: Agreed in the past that we would meet 12-14 June
14:45:38 [ht]
... in Cambridge
14:45:55 [masinter]
does TAG have opinions about W3C process http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2012Mar/att-0007/AB_List_of_Concerns-20120306.htm ?
14:46:12 [ht]
NM: Our end-of-summer f2f has yet to be scheduled
14:47:00 [ht]
... I will have difficulty travelling in September or for TPAC in November
14:47:29 [ht]
NM: Options include -- yet again in Cambridge, Septemberish
14:47:44 [JeniT]
http://www.w3.org/2012/10/TPAC/
14:48:10 [ht]
NM: Another alternative would be a weekend before/after TPAC
14:48:29 [ht]
... althought that is in Europe again
14:48:41 [ht]
NM: Our without me
14:49:04 [ht]
s/Our/Or/
14:49:48 [ht]
RB: Weekend OK but _not_ next to TPAC
15:02:54 [ht]
NM: Net-net -- we will wait a while before trying to schedule the next f2f after June
15:03:16 [ht]
NM: Adjourned until 0915
15:08:10 [noah]
Never mind, we are not adjourned
15:09:11 [ht]
Topic: XML Error Recovery
15:09:47 [ht]
RB: At XML Prague a lot of discussion about future of XML, XML and JSON, etc.
15:10:04 [ht]
s/a lot/March 2012 a lot/
15:10:20 [ht]
RB: A panel on XML / HTML issues, chaired by Norm Walsh
15:11:06 [ht]
... There was consensus of interest in a processing model for XML that would not halt and catch fire at first well-formedness error
15:11:52 [ht]
JT: There would be reporting of any error recovery actions to e.g. Firebug and/or the console
15:12:11 [ht]
RB: The advantage would be that users would not be punished for the errors of others
15:12:29 [ht]
NM: The scoping to end-user browser scenarios is xxx
15:12:34 [ht]
JT: Not exclusively
15:13:16 [ht]
JT: Other discussions identified other use cases: editors "of necessity" go through states where the documents are not well-formed, but a tree-view is still useful
15:13:34 [ht]
... Mark Logic has an error-recovery mode for loading into the DB
15:13:39 [ht]
... As do some editors
15:13:48 [ht]
... but all of that is idiosyncratic
15:14:07 [ht]
JT: So the question was if we could have uniform and predictable error recovery
15:14:14 [ht]
... across all three use cases
15:15:04 [ht]
AB: [libxml pattern] -- same document twice gives same result
15:15:11 [ht]
s/AB:/RB:/
15:15:36 [ht]
RB: Primary use case is in trying to deploy XML to user-facing apps
15:16:20 [ht]
... The fact that the halt-and-catch-fire experience blows that, so browsers have started silently correcting
15:16:52 [ht]
JAR: But we know where silent error recovery leads -- it leads to HTML5 -- the moving target aspect is really bad
15:17:29 [ht]
NM: We can address that by publishing a TAG finding to insist on no silent error recovery
15:17:43 [ht]
JAR: Errors have to be ugly, to put pressure on fixing them
15:18:37 [ht]
TBL: Designing the level of ugliness is important -- the console is too well hidden -- show the warning briefly
15:18:49 [ht]
... and allowing it to be configured to persist, for instance
15:19:32 [noah]
q+ to discuss why use cases matter and why standardization matters
15:19:36 [ht]
RB: So that discussion led to a W3C Community Group, with Anne van Kesteren editing his earlier XML 5 draft, but the work product will _not_ be called XML 5
15:20:06 [ht]
RB: This is not going to run at breakneck speed, but will work its way along
15:20:22 [ht]
AM: Does Mark Logic have a patent in the area?
15:20:39 [ht]
JT: They use the schema to help, I don't know about a patent
15:21:11 [ht]
HST: There's prior art . . .
15:21:20 [noah]
ack next
15:21:21 [ht]
ack noah
15:21:22 [Zakim]
noah, you wanted to comment on Robin's proposal and to discuss why use cases matter and why standardization matters
15:21:40 [ht]
NM: The stakes go up for automatic data import
15:22:22 [ht]
... There are gambles you are willing to take when heading for a web page that are inappropriate for importing mission-critical data which may not be used for some time. . ,
15:22:27 [ht]
s/,/./
15:23:00 [ht]
NM: So starting with an existing algorithm w/o much inclination to change it makes me nervous
15:23:12 [masinter]
quiet error recovery in popular browsers is more harmful than vendor prefix
15:23:44 [masinter]
but we have this with MIME type sniffing too, which is a kind of quiet fixup
15:23:56 [ht]
NM: The pervasiveness of consistent error recovery will change community expectations
15:24:07 [masinter]
sniffing application/xhtml+xml => text/html is an automatic fixup
15:24:10 [ht]
RB: For me user-facing software is the key case
15:24:12 [timbl]
q+ to talk about feeeds
15:24:30 [ht]
RB: But browser deployment will leak, no matter what
15:24:34 [noah]
q-
15:24:42 [noah]
q- rees
15:24:47 [noah]
ack next
15:24:49 [darobin]
q- jrees
15:24:49 [Zakim]
jrees, you wanted to comment on noah's idea
15:24:51 [noah]
ack next
15:24:51 [Zakim]
timbl, you wanted to talk about feeeds
15:26:17 [ht]
TBL: RDF allows XML buried in RDF, it would be good to allow XML in there [?]
15:27:07 [ht]
TBL: Feeds with XML in can cause real problems -- RSS readers must be super-tolerant -- but we keep seeing e.g. DOCTYPEs in tweets???
15:28:18 [ht]
JAR: So you are heading for tolerance
15:28:43 [ht]
RB: Not tolerance, they are still errors, with well-defined recovery strategies
15:29:27 [ht]
RB: The HTML situation is horrible not because of tolerance, but because the recovery rules are so complicated because the recovery heritage is so complex
15:29:44 [ht]
JAR: This will promote a race to the bottom
15:29:52 [ht]
RB: Is that a problem, and if so why?
15:30:12 [ht]
JAR: There will be no selective pressure
15:30:39 [ht]
JAR: Drift in the correction landscape will eventually lead to meaning change
15:31:22 [ht]
LM: Sniffing itself has promoted this by the sniffing of application/xhtml+xml => text/html
15:31:43 [ht]
LM: If the popular receivers are strict, then producers will check first
15:32:50 [ht]
RB: Indeed, and sending the same doc to different browsers with different media types makes it worse
15:33:14 [timbl]
q+
15:33:19 [ht]
LM: The right place to put this is in Apache and IIS, so the data that goes out is fixed
15:33:34 [ht]
TBL: And sends a message to root!
15:33:38 [ht]
ack next
15:34:02 [ht]
TBL: Whenever you have a string with two different potential readings, you have a security hole
15:34:26 [jrees]
correction is fine but *silent* (i.e. painless) correction is a big security risk
15:35:13 [ht]
TBL: [complicated example with two recipients which scribe didn't get]
15:37:07 [ht]
JT: We _are_ committed to non-silent recovery
15:37:55 [ht]
RB: Exactly what that _means_ is up for discussion and implementation choice
15:38:10 [ht]
HST: It's precisely those honest additions that make us worried . . .
15:38:18 [timbl]
simple security attack example for diff parsers sdoing different things: was: tim puts up a page which he knows larry's browser and ashok's broser wll see differently, asks larry to ok it to ashok, and then ashok transfers money to tim, as he sees a different message.
15:40:11 [ht]
NM: Isn't this going to make the sniffing of text/plain as application/xml have dire consequences?
15:41:18 [ht]
RB: That isn't in scope for the XML ER CG in my opinion, because what causes the UA to treat something as XML is prior
15:41:40 [ht]
RB: The sniffing stuff is someone else's problem
15:41:53 [ht]
LM: The sniffing doc't was originally in the HTML WG
15:42:04 [ht]
... It was moved to the IETF ??? group
15:42:23 [ht]
... Where some members raised doubts
15:42:32 [ht]
s/???/Web Security/
15:43:04 [ht]
LM: I'm not involved in the document
15:43:24 [ht]
LM: It expired at the IETF
15:43:54 [ht]
LM: The WebApps packaging draft makes normative reference to the expired draft
15:44:21 [ht]
LM: The HTML5 draft has a normative reference to the expired draft
15:45:30 [ht]
LM: One of the issues raised against the document was to never sniff to PDF, the original editor declined to make any change
15:45:46 [ht]
LM: No examples have been forthcoming
15:46:33 [ht]
RB: The opposite case does arise, that is, correctly labelled application/pdf docs being sniffed as something else, particularly short ones
15:48:19 [ht]
LM: My suggestion wrt sniffing was that any document whose media type was determined by sniffing to be different that its published type, then it should get a different/unique origin
15:49:36 [ht]
LM: We have an abandoned document that a) is normatively referenced; b) creates a problem wrt XML and error recovery; c) contradicts the Authoritative Metadata finding
15:49:48 [ht]
LM: We should do something, particularly about the XML case
15:50:59 [ht]
JAR: If the XML ER CG doesn't say anything about sniffing, the TAG will have to. . .
15:52:21 [ht]
NM: Sniffing XML as non-XML is clearly not relevant to the XML ER CG, but they _can_ say "This algorithm is not robust / appropriate / safe when applied to non-XML sniffed as XML, don't do that"
15:58:39 [jrees]
NM: Please reread authoritative metadata since it clearly talks about security holes
15:58:56 [jrees]
NM: People know the arguments against sniffing, they just think *their* considerations are more important
16:04:42 [ht]
[scribe notes that discussion continued past the end of scheduled meeting closure]
16:04:53 [timbl]
Of course the semicolon-adding jacascript behaviour of js parsers is a possible security hole, bug etc too
16:05:28 [ht]
RB: I'm really concerned that the sniffing spec is dead
16:05:44 [ht]
LM: I tried to get that actioned w/o success
16:06:04 [jrees]
yes, applying the pressure early in the development chain is best, but if a problem gets past all intermediaries, then the final consumer needs to suffer a little, so that there is *some* selective pressure
16:07:03 [darobin]
ACTION: Robin to try to find who is in charge of the current browser content sniffing clustermess, and see if there is a way of moving out of the quagmire - due 2012-05-01
16:07:03 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-686 - try to find who is in charge of the current browser content sniffing clustermess, and see if there is a way of moving out of the quagmire [on Robin Berjon - due 2012-05-01].
16:07:43 [ht]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
16:07:43 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/04/03-tagmem-minutes.html ht
16:07:53 [ht]
RRSAgent, make logs world-visible
16:08:23 [darobin]
mmm, so long as automatic semicolon insertion is well-defined (and it is) I think it's security-safe
16:08:51 [darobin]
whether it's good programming style is another issue, of course
16:09:23 [jrees]
no.
16:09:35 [jrees]
speciation in xml would be bad
16:10:36 [ht]
ACTION: Noah to look for opportunities to discuss putting forward something to the AB about the Process and the failed reference from RECs to expired RFCs as a side-effect of scope creep etc.
16:10:36 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-687 - Look for opportunities to discuss putting forward something to the AB about the Process and the failed reference from RECs to expired RFCs as a side-effect of scope creep etc. [on Noah Mendelsohn - due 2012-04-10].
16:11:00 [ht]
ACTION-687 due 2012-04-04
16:11:00 [trackbot]
ACTION-687 Look for opportunities to discuss putting forward something to the AB about the Process and the failed reference from RECs to expired RFCs as a side-effect of scope creep etc. due date now 2012-04-04
16:11:07 [darobin]
Jim Fuller has done some excellent work on generation of XML language validators based on XSLT/XQuery genetic algorithms, so I think speciation in XML may not be so bad ;-)
17:17:47 [noah]
noah has joined #tagmem
17:37:48 [timbl]
timbl has joined #tagmem
18:04:12 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #tagmem