IRC log of rd on 2012-02-09

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:59:25 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #rd
15:59:25 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-rd-irc
15:59:27 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
15:59:32 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 7394
15:59:33 [trackbot]
Meeting: Research and Development Working Group Teleconference
15:59:35 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #rd
15:59:35 [sharper]
zakim, agenda?
15:59:35 [trackbot]
Date: 09 February 2012
15:59:42 [Zakim]
I see nothing on the agenda
16:00:13 [markel]
markel has joined #rd
16:00:30 [sharper]
Chair: Harper_Simon
16:00:30 [sharper]
Agenda+ Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)
16:00:30 [sharper]
Agenda+ W3C Note - You should be reading it...
16:00:30 [sharper]
Agenda+ New Meeting Time
16:00:31 [sharper]
Agenda+ Mobile Topic Timeline
16:00:31 [sharper]
Agenda+ Next Topics Ordering
16:00:32 [sharper]
Agenda+ Mobile Discussion re Topics and Call for Paper
16:00:34 [sharper]
Agenda+ Any Other Business
16:00:45 [sharper]
zakim, save agenda
16:00:56 [sharper]
zakim, take up item 1
16:01:12 [sharper]
regrets+ Kouroupetroglou_Christos
16:01:12 [Zakim]
ok, sharper, the agenda has been written to http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-rd-agenda.rdf
16:01:26 [sharper]
regrets+ McCathieNevile_Charles
16:01:32 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)" taken up [from sharper]
16:01:36 [sharper]
rrsagent, make logs public
16:01:36 [sharper]
rrsagent, draft minutes
16:01:36 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-rd-minutes.html sharper
16:01:36 [shawn]
shawn has joined #rd
16:01:54 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
16:02:39 [shawn]
zakim, mute me
16:03:02 [Zakim]
sorry, shadi, I don't know what conference this is
16:03:16 [shadi]
zakim, this is rdwg
16:03:43 [Zakim]
sorry, shawn, I don't know what conference this is
16:03:46 [shadi]
zakim, who is on the phone?
16:03:56 [Zakim]
On IRC I see shawn, markel, Zakim, RRSAgent, Peter, sharper, Klaus, giorgio, nonge__, shadi, Mate, trackbot
16:04:21 [Zakim]
ok, shadi; that matches WAI_RDWG()11:00AM
16:04:40 [shawn]
zakim, unmute me
16:04:58 [shadi]
scribe: shadi
16:04:59 [Zakim]
On the phone I see ??P49, ??P64, ??P62, ??P4, Shadi, Shawn, ??P60
16:05:15 [shadi]
zakim, ??p60 is Simon
16:05:27 [shadi]
zakim, take up agendum 1
16:05:32 [Zakim]
Shawn was not muted, shawn
16:05:48 [giorgio]
thanks!
16:05:57 [shadi]
zakim, take up next
16:06:21 [shadi]
SH: reminder to read the draft Note
16:06:28 [Zakim]
+Simon; got it
16:06:28 [shadi]
...read it and it was a good read
16:06:32 [shadi]
zakim, take up next
16:06:37 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)" taken up [from sharper]
16:06:49 [Zakim]
agendum 1 was just opened, shadi
16:07:27 [shadi]
zakim, close agendum 1
16:07:27 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "W3C Note - You should be reading it..." taken up [from sharper]
16:07:31 [shadi]
zakim, take up next
16:07:39 [shadi]
zakim, close agendum 2
16:07:43 [Zakim]
agendum 1, Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments), closed
16:07:46 [Zakim]
I see 6 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
16:07:47 [Zakim]
2. W3C Note - You should be reading it... [from sharper]
16:07:53 [Zakim]
agendum 2 was just opened, shadi
16:07:54 [shadi]
SH: new meeting time
16:07:57 [Zakim]
agendum 2, W3C Note - You should be reading it..., closed
16:07:59 [Zakim]
I see 5 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
16:08:01 [Zakim]
3. New Meeting Time [from sharper]
16:08:02 [shadi]
...Thursday next week
16:08:13 [shadi]
...new meeting time from Wednesday 22nd onwards
16:08:21 [shadi]
zakim, take up next
16:08:21 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "New Meeting Time" taken up [from sharper]
16:08:23 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
16:08:29 [shadi]
zakim, close agendum 3
16:08:29 [Zakim]
agendum 3, New Meeting Time, closed
16:08:30 [Zakim]
I see 4 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
16:08:30 [Zakim]
4. Mobile Topic Timeline [from sharper]
16:08:33 [shadi]
zakim, take up next
16:08:33 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "Mobile Topic Timeline" taken up [from sharper]
16:08:41 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
16:08:41 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
16:09:00 [shadi]
present: Giorgio, Markel, Klaus, Peter
16:09:20 [shadi]
SH: date for symposium
16:09:38 [shadi]
q+ to suggest deadline for call for papers
16:10:12 [shadi]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/planning#seminar
16:10:16 [shawn]
zakim, [IPcaller] is Josh
16:10:27 [shadi]
present+ Joshue
16:10:32 [Zakim]
+Josh; got it
16:11:00 [shadi]
zakim, unmute me
16:11:10 [Zakim]
Shadi should no longer be muted
16:11:20 [shadi]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/
16:11:29 [shadi]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/cfp.html
16:12:42 [shawn]
last ones dates: Announcement on 2011-09-15: The Call for Papers is open until 1 November 2011.
16:13:19 [shadi]
SH: Call for Papers beginning of March
16:13:38 [giorgio]
q+
16:13:40 [shadi]
...Monday 5th
16:13:54 [shadi]
...maybe have 5th May as telecon date
16:15:21 [shadi]
SAZ: had 6 weeks notification
16:15:36 [shadi]
ack me
16:15:36 [Zakim]
shadi, you wanted to suggest deadline for call for papers
16:15:58 [shawn]
q+ to ask about situation in regards to 4 or 6 weeks
16:16:40 [sharper]
ack
16:16:51 [shadi]
...critical part is when we have the call for papers ready
16:16:52 [shawn]
ack g
16:17:03 [shadi]
...not sure can make it by 5 March
16:17:16 [shadi]
GB: agree that call for paper will be difficult
16:17:22 [shadi]
...maybe more difficult this time
16:17:45 [shadi]
...need to see what Yeliz and Peter needs
16:18:06 [shadi]
SH: maybe aim for mid-March
16:18:15 [shadi]
...don't want to leave it open-ended
16:18:23 [shadi]
q+
16:18:34 [sharper]
ack shawn
16:18:34 [Zakim]
shawn, you wanted to ask about situation in regards to 4 or 6 weeks
16:18:48 [shadi]
q+ to suggest actions for editors to bring in draft CfPs every week from now on
16:19:23 [shadi]
SLH: are people writing about work they already have, in which case it is easy to write a paper
16:19:29 [giorgio]
I would say option 1: they reported wotk already done
16:19:42 [shadi]
...versus if people are prompted to do new work, in which case they need more time
16:20:16 [shadi]
MV: seen most people adapting what they have done so far to fit this call for papers
16:20:28 [shadi]
...something already done but adapted
16:20:56 [shadi]
JoC: how would you describe that in the CfP?
16:21:10 [shawn]
+1 to JoC
16:21:10 [markel]
+1 to Josh
16:21:11 [shadi]
..maybe can a pre-call
16:21:33 [shadi]
SH: good idea to have a pre-call
16:21:33 [sharper]
ack shadi
16:21:33 [Zakim]
shadi, you wanted to suggest actions for editors to bring in draft CfPs every week from now on
16:21:35 [shadi]
ack me
16:21:44 [Peter]
+1 josh - don't think it would hurt
16:22:10 [Peter]
q+
16:22:20 [sharper]
ack P
16:22:29 [shawn]
Shawn & Josh -- maybe a pre-call to let people know ahead of time that a call on a specific topic will be coming up -- so people get more advanced warning & have time to do more original work possibility
16:22:36 [shadi]
SAZ: suggest adding action items to the editors to being in a draft CfP every week
16:22:45 [shawn]
q+
16:22:51 [shadi]
ack peter
16:23:17 [shadi]
PT: agree, good to have the pressure
16:23:24 [shadi]
...have a template to start with
16:23:50 [shawn]
ack me
16:24:20 [sharper]
Action: Peter, yeliz to create Mobile Pre-Call
16:24:20 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - Peter,
16:24:40 [shadi]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/
16:24:47 [sharper]
Action: Peter yeliz to create Mobile Pre-Call
16:24:47 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-8 - Yeliz to create Mobile Pre-Call [on Peter Thiessen - due 2012-02-16].
16:24:51 [shadi]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/cfp.html
16:25:18 [markel]
go for it
16:27:07 [shadi]
SH: pre-call in 6 weeks then full call in 4 weeks
16:27:23 [shawn]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Text_Customization
16:27:24 [Peter]
(reading topic now :)
16:29:08 [Zakim]
-Josh
16:30:54 [shadi]
SLH: been working at this for the previous year+
16:31:16 [shadi]
...also with Wyne Dick who will be presenting a tool at CSUN
16:31:42 [shadi]
SH: had lecture about this by the BBC lately
16:31:59 [shadi]
...also on the User Agent group
16:32:13 [shadi]
...may also relate to television
16:32:19 [sharper]
Penny Allen
16:32:23 [sharper]
BBC
16:32:33 [shadi]
SLH: not about what the optimum text is
16:32:48 [shadi]
...but rather what optimizations need to be in place
16:33:03 [shadi]
...there is no single optimal formatting for all users
16:33:05 [giorgio]
q+ interation between factors
16:33:13 [shadi]
...more about the needs for customization
16:33:55 [shadi]
SH: Penny Allen working on optimal font for different types of screens/devices etc
16:34:06 [shadi]
...also developed some guidelines and tools
16:34:30 [shadi]
...interactive TV using SMILE
16:34:39 [shadi]
s/SMILE/SMIL
16:34:44 [shadi]
ack g
16:35:07 [shadi]
GB: not only individual aspects like font size, color, etc
16:35:16 [shadi]
...but also the interaction aspects
16:35:22 [shadi]
...probably combination is key
16:35:40 [shadi]
...also the context is important
16:35:56 [shadi]
...for example moving objects like ads
16:37:07 [shadi]
SH: looks mature?
16:37:13 [shadi]
PT: looks quite extensive
16:37:28 [markel]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/paper5/
16:37:54 [shadi]
GB: people in barecolona working on spelling errors
16:38:12 [shadi]
SAZ: could relate more to the "Easy to Read" topic?
16:38:17 [shawn]
[ Shawn would hope for more input after people get a chance to read it :-]
16:38:17 [shadi]
SLH: agree
16:38:21 [shadi]
PT: agree
16:39:18 [shadi]
...looks to me more like tools to customize rather than readability
16:39:42 [shadi]
SH: does this look ready for a seminar?
16:39:51 [shadi]
...will we have many or few submissions?
16:40:16 [shadi]
...not aware of much research in that field
16:40:32 [shadi]
...may be ahead of our time
16:41:19 [shadi]
SLH: maybe do a public call saying we are considering this topic, to see what reactions are?
16:41:35 [shadi]
SH: may be confusing, seem that we are unsure
16:41:54 [shadi]
zakim, mute me
16:41:54 [Zakim]
Shadi should now be muted
16:42:38 [shadi]
MV: might be an idea to put several topics under one call
16:42:48 [shadi]
q+
16:43:04 [shadi]
ack me
16:43:59 [Peter]
(missed most of that - breaking up - could just be me though)
16:44:22 [shawn]
saz: maybe say something now, then people coule do new-related work
16:44:29 [shadi]
SAZ: we have more time for this one, so could do a slightly different call where as for new work
16:44:57 [shadi]
...contact specific people who may be encouraged
16:45:36 [shadi]
SH: at W4A usually get 1 paper for an advanced topic, then 6 in the next
16:45:57 [shawn]
[ shawn OK with joining the two together... as long as the text customization doesn't get lost ;-]
16:46:05 [shadi]
...difficult to get submissions for topics that are head of themselves
16:46:35 [shadi]
...could be better to put together the related one
16:46:45 [shadi]
SLH: torn on this
16:47:01 [shadi]
...agree with the approach but do not want text customization to get lost
16:47:31 [shadi]
SH: agree trying to avoid it getting lost
16:47:39 [shadi]
...need to message carefully
16:47:55 [shadi]
...but also done its job if we prompt people to think about it
16:48:23 [shawn]
s/agree with the approach/agree that they are related and interested that it may be ahead of its time/
16:48:51 [shadi]
...need to carefully craft this call for paper
16:49:27 [christos]
christos has joined #rd
16:49:33 [giorgio]
q+
16:49:44 [shawn]
ACTION: Shawn talk with Andrea about idea of combining topics (Easy to Read & Text Customization)
16:49:44 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-9 - Talk with Andrea about idea of combining topics (Easy to Read & Text Customization) [on Shawn Henry - due 2012-02-16].
16:49:53 [sharper]
ack g
16:50:00 [shadi]
SAZ: think editors need to get coordinated
16:50:20 [shawn]
ACTION: Shawn talk informally with people about interest and work in Text Customization
16:50:20 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-10 - Talk informally with people about interest and work in Text Customization [on Shawn Henry - due 2012-02-16].
16:50:40 [shadi]
GB: maybe better to collect additional information first then decide
16:51:46 [sharper]
Benchmarking Web Accessibility Evaluation Tools (Evaluation, Benchmarking, Metrics, Samples.)
16:51:51 [shadi]
zakim, take up agendum 7
16:51:51 [Zakim]
agendum 7. "Any Other Business" taken up [from sharper]
16:51:54 [sharper]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Benchmarking_Web_Accessibility_Evaluation_Tools
16:52:39 [giorgio]
q+
16:52:53 [shadi]
SH: after reading the draft Note and the wiki entry
16:53:06 [shadi]
...useful to leave the topic there?
16:53:18 [sharper]
ack g
16:53:21 [shadi]
...or how do we clean that up?
16:53:41 [shadi]
GB: not sure what the issue is of leaving the wiki topic there
16:54:20 [shadi]
...solution not a webinar lke we did but probably something larger
16:54:54 [shadi]
...wiki page can change over time, not a snapshot of a webinar
16:55:27 [shadi]
SH: see this as a conference
16:55:40 [shadi]
SH: see this as a conference?
16:55:45 [shadi]
GB: yes
16:56:01 [shadi]
MV: not sure what new questions we have in the research note
16:57:12 [giorgio]
I was not really think of that conference. it was a generic a vagiue statement of mine
16:58:46 [giorgio]
yes
16:59:24 [shadi]
SH: may want to come back to it at some poin
16:59:29 [giorgio]
something like a new category "follow up activities"
16:59:29 [shadi]
http://www.icchp.org/node/370
17:00:08 [shawn]
saz: I put up a track related to this as an STS for ICCHP
17:00:24 [shawn]
... opportunities for followon work
17:01:12 [markel]
q+
17:01:14 [shadi]
HCII
17:01:33 [shadi]
...several other possibilities
17:02:11 [shadi]
...conferences with several tracks
17:02:15 [shadi]
ack m
17:02:30 [shadi]
MV: do we need a special track on this?
17:02:35 [shadi]
...good papers make it anyway
17:02:47 [shadi]
...just need to keep track of work
17:02:52 [shawn]
q+ to say interesting to think of these Symposiums as being a catalyst for future research. (I had thought more about gathering current research -- but like the
17:03:18 [shawn]
ack me
17:03:18 [Zakim]
shawn, you wanted to say interesting to think of these Symposiums as being a catalyst for future research. (I had thought more about gathering current research -- but like the
17:03:23 [sharper]
ack shawn
17:03:42 [shadi]
SH: might be motivator to tell people that will contribute to a Note
17:04:03 [markel]
yes agree SLH
17:04:05 [shadi]
SLH: one of the goals is to be a catalyst for future research
17:04:12 [markel]
but we can make the right questions in our seminars
17:04:32 [markel]
a community can address identified issues in their reseach
17:04:41 [shadi]
SH: paper on metrics has a good future roadmap
17:04:52 [shadi]
...incubator kind of concept
17:05:35 [Peter]
+1 shawn's idea for future research
17:05:57 [sharper]
+1 incubator / shawn's idea
17:06:26 [Klaus]
have to leave, sorry, bye to all
17:07:02 [shadi]
Topic: Next meeting
17:07:02 [giorgio]
ok. bye.
17:07:09 [Zakim]
-??P4
17:07:09 [shadi]
next week on Thursday
17:07:10 [Zakim]
-??P49
17:07:10 [Peter]
bye everyone
17:07:11 [Zakim]
-??P64
17:07:13 [Zakim]
-Shawn
17:07:16 [markel]
markel has left #rd
17:07:20 [sharper]
sharper has left #rd
17:07:24 [Zakim]
-Shadi
17:07:26 [Zakim]
-Simon
17:07:28 [Zakim]
-??P62
17:07:28 [Zakim]
WAI_RDWG()11:00AM has ended
17:07:28 [Zakim]
Attendees were Shadi, Shawn, Simon, Josh
17:08:56 [markel]
markel has joined #rd
17:48:40 [shadi]
trackbot, end meeting
17:48:40 [trackbot]
Zakim, list attendees
17:48:40 [Zakim]
sorry, trackbot, I don't know what conference this is
17:48:48 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, please draft minutes
17:48:48 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-rd-minutes.html trackbot
17:48:49 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, bye
17:48:49 [RRSAgent]
I see 4 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-rd-actions.rdf :
17:48:49 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Peter, yeliz to create Mobile Pre-Call [1]
17:48:49 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-rd-irc#T16-24-20
17:48:49 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Peter yeliz to create Mobile Pre-Call [2]
17:48:49 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-rd-irc#T16-24-47
17:48:49 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Shawn talk with Andrea about idea of combining topics (Easy to Read & Text Customization) [3]
17:48:49 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-rd-irc#T16-49-44
17:48:49 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Shawn talk informally with people about interest and work in Text Customization [4]
17:48:49 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-rd-irc#T16-50-20