IRC log of html-wg on 2012-02-09

Timestamps are in UTC.

17:00:21 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #html-wg
17:00:21 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-wg-irc
17:00:21 [Clarke]
Clarke has joined #html-wg
17:00:23 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
17:00:23 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #html-wg
17:00:25 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be html_wg
17:00:25 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot, I see HTML_WG()12:00PM already started
17:00:26 [trackbot]
Meeting: HTML Weekly Teleconference
17:00:26 [trackbot]
Date: 09 February 2012
17:00:41 [adrianba]
ScribeNick: adrianba
17:00:46 [adrianba]
Scribe: Adrian Bateman
17:00:50 [adrianba]
Chair: Sam Ruby
17:00:54 [adrianba]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-announce/2012JanMar/0013.html
17:01:06 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
17:01:31 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft.a]
17:01:42 [adrianba]
zakim, [Microsoft.a] is me
17:01:43 [Zakim]
+adrianba; got it
17:01:58 [paulc]
paulc has joined #html-wg
17:02:02 [krisk]
zakim, [Microsoft] is krisk
17:02:02 [Zakim]
+krisk; got it
17:02:14 [Zakim]
+Cynthia_Shelly
17:02:27 [janina]
janina has joined #html-wg
17:02:31 [Zakim]
+ +49.251.280.aaaa
17:02:38 [Zakim]
+ +1.415.595.aabb
17:02:42 [MFoladare]
MFoladare has joined #html-wg
17:02:42 [Julian]
Zakim, +49.251.280.aaaa is me
17:02:42 [Zakim]
+Julian; got it
17:02:47 [Julian]
Zakim, mute me
17:02:47 [Zakim]
Julian should now be muted
17:02:48 [Zakim]
+??P31
17:02:53 [MikeSmith]
Zakim, call Mike
17:02:53 [Zakim]
ok, MikeSmith; the call is being made
17:02:54 [Zakim]
+Mike
17:02:55 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
17:02:58 [janina]
zakim, ??P31 is Janina_Sajka
17:02:59 [Zakim]
+Janina_Sajka; got it
17:03:05 [paulc]
zakim, [Microsoft] has paulc
17:03:05 [Zakim]
+paulc; got it
17:03:26 [Zakim]
+Radhika_Roy
17:03:28 [mjs]
Zakim, +1.415.595.aabb is me
17:03:30 [Zakim]
+mjs; got it
17:04:00 [adrianba]
TOPIC: ACTION items due by Thursday, February 9
17:04:08 [adrianba]
ACTION-207?
17:04:08 [trackbot]
ACTION-207 -- Paul Cotton to confirm that change proposal for av_param is still active -- due 2012-02-07 -- OPEN
17:04:08 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/207
17:04:31 [adrianba]
paulc: i think we can close this action item - intent was to double check that proposal was still operative
17:04:53 [adrianba]
... chairs are working with WG and Web & TV IG and the chairs will decide when to push to the next step
17:05:00 [adrianba]
... i will register this in the action item
17:05:16 [adrianba]
TOPIC: New Issues This Week
17:05:19 [adrianba]
rubys: none
17:05:23 [adrianba]
TOPIC: Items Closed Last Week
17:05:27 [adrianba]
rubys: none
17:05:27 [Zakim]
+Plh
17:05:40 [plh]
zakim, drop plh
17:05:40 [Zakim]
Plh is being disconnected
17:05:42 [Zakim]
-Plh
17:06:02 [adrianba]
TOPIC: Items Closing This Week
17:06:21 [adrianba]
rubys: Alternate or Counter Proposals due Feb 11, have none
17:06:25 [Zakim]
+Philippe
17:06:26 [adrianba]
ISSUE-172?
17:06:26 [trackbot]
ISSUE-172 -- restore <rb> as an optional element -- open
17:06:26 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/172
17:06:38 [adrianba]
rubys: Change Proposals due Feb 11, have one
17:06:42 [adrianba]
ISSUE-131?
17:06:42 [trackbot]
ISSUE-131 -- Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? -- open
17:06:42 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/131
17:06:46 [adrianba]
ISSUE-183?
17:06:46 [trackbot]
ISSUE-183 -- Enhance and simplify the time element -- open
17:06:46 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/183
17:06:50 [adrianba]
ISSUE-184?
17:06:50 [trackbot]
ISSUE-184 -- Add a data element -- open
17:06:50 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/184
17:06:59 [Clarke]
Clarke has joined #html-wg
17:07:13 [adrianba]
rubys: Alternate or Counter Proposals due Feb 11, have one:
17:07:18 [adrianba]
ISSUE-179?
17:07:18 [trackbot]
ISSUE-179 -- {audio,video} require param child (or equivalent) -- open
17:07:18 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/179
17:07:32 [adrianba]
TOPIC: Items Closing Next Week
17:07:39 [adrianba]
rubys: Change Proposals due Feb 15, have one
17:07:45 [adrianba]
ISSUE-193?
17:07:45 [trackbot]
ISSUE-193 -- Remove CSS example that promotes inaccessible content -- open
17:07:45 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/193
17:07:52 [adrianba]
rubys: Change Proposals due Feb 15, have none
17:07:56 [adrianba]
ISSUE-194?
17:07:56 [trackbot]
ISSUE-194 -- Provide a mechanism for associating a full transcript with an audio or video element. -- raised
17:07:56 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194
17:08:00 [adrianba]
ISSUE-195?
17:08:00 [trackbot]
ISSUE-195 -- Enhance http request generation from forms -- raised
17:08:00 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/195
17:08:03 [adrianba]
ISSUE-196?
17:08:03 [trackbot]
ISSUE-196 -- Define user agent http response handling behaviour -- raised
17:08:03 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/196
17:08:07 [adrianba]
ISSUE-197?
17:08:07 [trackbot]
ISSUE-197 -- Accept attribute should allow file extensions in addition to the current allowed values -- raised
17:08:09 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/197
17:08:16 [adrianba]
rubys: Alternate or Counter Proposals due Feb 15, have none
17:08:20 [adrianba]
ISSUE-182?
17:08:20 [trackbot]
ISSUE-182 -- Advice in spec about annotations promotes inaccessible content -- open
17:08:20 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/182
17:08:24 [adrianba]
ISSUE-188?
17:08:24 [trackbot]
ISSUE-188 -- Text tracks in HTML should be defined in a way agnostic of the specific caption format -- open
17:08:24 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/188
17:08:28 [adrianba]
ISSUE-189?
17:08:28 [trackbot]
ISSUE-189 -- Prefix convention needs to be coordinated with IETF -- open
17:08:28 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/189
17:08:33 [adrianba]
rubys: Alternate or Counter Proposals due Feb 15, have one
17:08:36 [adrianba]
ISSUE-185?
17:08:36 [trackbot]
ISSUE-185 -- Drop the pubdate attribute -- open
17:08:36 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/185
17:08:41 [adrianba]
rubys: Change Proposals due Feb 15, have none
17:08:47 [adrianba]
ISSUE-198?
17:08:47 [trackbot]
ISSUE-198 -- Ensure innerHTML and related APIs are subject to the W3C patent policy -- raised
17:08:47 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/198
17:08:49 [adrianba]
ISSUE-199?
17:08:50 [trackbot]
ISSUE-199 -- Define complete processing requirements for ARIA attributes -- raised
17:08:50 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/199
17:08:53 [adrianba]
ISSUE-200?
17:08:53 [trackbot]
ISSUE-200 -- Allow wrapping LEGEND (or new iLEGEND) in non-FIELDSET elements -- raised
17:08:54 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/200
17:08:56 [adrianba]
ISSUE-201?
17:08:57 [trackbot]
ISSUE-201 -- Provide canvas location and hit testing capability to fallback content -- raised
17:08:59 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/201
17:09:00 [adrianba]
ISSUE-202?
17:09:03 [trackbot]
ISSUE-202 -- Missing alt should not be considered conforming in the presence of figcaptions over 50 words in length -- raised
17:09:06 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/202
17:09:08 [adrianba]
rubys: Change Proposals due Feb 16, have none
17:09:12 [adrianba]
ISSUE-203?
17:09:12 [trackbot]
ISSUE-203 -- All Media Elements should have the ability to have both short and longer textual descriptions associated to the element -- raised
17:09:13 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203
17:09:36 [adrianba]
rubys: important that we get CP for these issues - if we don't get proposals the issues will be deferred to html.next
17:10:14 [adrianba]
janina: a11y tf thinks issue 203 should be considered after issue 30
17:10:24 [adrianba]
... since one depends on the other
17:10:47 [adrianba]
... you need both an alt text and a longdesc for the media element - this is separate from the poster that it may have
17:11:09 [adrianba]
... we in good shape on the alt but not on the longdesc because we don't yet know which mechanism we will end up with for that
17:11:29 [adrianba]
rubys: are you suggesting the deadline moved after?
17:11:39 [adrianba]
janina: yes, to start after the longdesc question is resolved
17:11:54 [adrianba]
paulc: are you asking that we don't process 203 before 30 or that we delay calling change proposals
17:12:05 [rubys]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jan/0098.html
17:12:23 [adrianba]
janina: delaying change proposals call because the only thing that could be proposed is used longdesc or described by that we're talking about in 30
17:12:39 [adrianba]
... CP will be to apply that mechanism to the video tag
17:12:54 [adrianba]
paulc: could you write the CP saying using the solution from issue 30
17:13:09 [adrianba]
... then all we have to make sure we don't come to a decision on 203 before 30
17:13:16 [adrianba]
rubys: before the deadline?
17:13:22 [adrianba]
janina: yes
17:13:44 [adrianba]
... if that kind of conditional proposal is acceptable then this is reasonable
17:13:59 [adrianba]
paulc: suggest that you get this into the CP and ask for explicit permission from chairs
17:14:22 [adrianba]
TOPIC: New Calls this week
17:14:28 [adrianba]
rubys: none
17:14:32 [adrianba]
TOPIC: New Surveys this week
17:14:35 [adrianba]
rubys: none
17:14:40 [adrianba]
TOPIC: Decisions this week
17:14:46 [adrianba]
ISSUE-177?
17:14:46 [trackbot]
ISSUE-177 -- References to Internet-Drafts should be given as "Work in Progress" per RFC 2026. -- open
17:14:46 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/177
17:15:00 [adrianba]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0065.html
17:15:09 [adrianba]
rubys: published decision, editor has applied the change
17:15:21 [adrianba]
TOPIC: Task Force Reports - Testing Task Force
17:15:30 [adrianba]
krisk: met as planned last week 31 jan
17:15:34 [krisk]
Meeting Notes -> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-testsuite/2012Feb/0000.html
17:15:57 [adrianba]
krisk: no new bugs, some new tests from Ms2ger
17:16:34 [adrianba]
... some discussion about the a11y and aria mapping testing and kris will follow-up with cynthia and a11y tf
17:16:40 [adrianba]
TOPIC: Task Force Reports - Accessibility Task Force
17:17:00 [adrianba]
janina: very busy, number of change proposals coming is large
17:17:10 [adrianba]
... we have a reconsideration request on meta generator
17:17:29 [adrianba]
... task force decision on that now
17:19:25 [adrianba]
TOPIC: Other business
17:19:41 [adrianba]
rubys: review of issue 30 proposal
17:19:51 [adrianba]
... mjs posted review
17:20:11 [adrianba]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0058.html
17:20:18 [adrianba]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0064.html
17:20:37 [adrianba]
rubys: next up is split issue 30
17:20:54 [adrianba]
rubys: discussion started on the mailing list
17:21:08 [adrianba]
... if there are two parts disagreement about whichto do first
17:21:11 [adrianba]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0067.html
17:21:23 [adrianba]
rubys: discussions ongoing
17:21:35 [adrianba]
janina: is there agreement on what the 2 parts are?
17:21:42 [adrianba]
rubys: i think so
17:22:02 [adrianba]
... my understanding is the aria question is split out from whether longdesc is deprecated
17:22:27 [adrianba]
... active discussion, lots of emails in last 24/48 hours
17:22:39 [adrianba]
rubys: Revert request for r6895
17:22:46 [adrianba]
... this has been applied
17:22:49 [adrianba]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0066.html
17:23:08 [adrianba]
rubys: Saturday is the deadline for change proposals for New Information
17:23:22 [rubys]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0082.html
17:23:50 [adrianba]
rubys: this post describes exactly what is needed
17:23:54 [adrianba]
rubys: April face-to-face meetings for HTML and WebApps
17:24:02 [adrianba]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0057.html
17:24:16 [adrianba]
plh: in order to help wg make progress, a f2f would be good
17:24:32 [adrianba]
... especially in april for html wg
17:24:44 [adrianba]
... now question is dates with conferences we don't want to overlap with
17:24:55 [adrianba]
... ended up with second week in april
17:25:18 [adrianba]
... we are aware that this is easter monday so some people will have to travel on that day, also end of passover
17:25:36 [adrianba]
... unfortunate but unless more objections will continue since only alternative is may
17:25:47 [adrianba]
... which doesn't work for html wg timeline
17:25:54 [adrianba]
... don't yet have a host - looking for a host
17:26:08 [adrianba]
... want to block dates next week and confirm meeting as soon after that as possible
17:26:23 [adrianba]
rubys: Open Web Platform Weekly Summary - 2012-01-23 - 2012-01-29
17:26:27 [adrianba]
http://www.w3.org/QA/2012/01/openweb-weekly-26.html
17:27:06 [adrianba]
TOPIC: Scribe for next meeting
17:27:14 [adrianba]
rubys: any volunteers?
17:27:45 [adrianba]
paulc: my turn to chair next week
17:27:50 [adrianba]
TOPIC: Adjournment
17:27:56 [Zakim]
-Sam
17:27:57 [Zakim]
-Mike
17:27:57 [Zakim]
-Janina_Sajka
17:27:58 [adrianba]
rubys: thanks everybody
17:27:59 [Zakim]
-krisk
17:28:03 [Zakim]
-Philippe
17:28:04 [Zakim]
-Julian
17:28:14 [janina]
janina has left #html-wg
17:28:15 [Zakim]
-adrianba
17:28:19 [adrianba]
zakim, bye
17:28:19 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees were Sam, adrianba, krisk, Cynthia_Shelly, Julian, Mike, Janina_Sajka, paulc, Radhika_Roy, mjs, Plh, Philippe
17:28:19 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #html-wg
17:28:25 [adrianba]
rrsagent, make minutes
17:28:25 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/02/09-html-wg-minutes.html adrianba
17:28:30 [adrianba]
rrsagent, make logs public
17:28:47 [eliot]
eliot has joined #html-wg
17:30:44 [webben]
webben has joined #html-wg
17:33:58 [adrianba]
adrianba has left #html-wg
17:37:24 [dveditz]
dveditz has joined #html-wg
17:37:42 [dveditz_]
dveditz_ has joined #html-wg
17:54:09 [MikeSmith]
MikeSmith has joined #html-wg
17:56:18 [MikeSmith]
MikeSmith has joined #html-wg
17:56:58 [MikeSmith]
MikeSmith has joined #html-wg
17:59:02 [MikeSmith]
MikeSmith has joined #html-wg
17:59:30 [MikeSmith]
MikeSmith has joined #html-wg
18:27:20 [rniwa_]
rniwa_ has joined #html-wg
18:45:15 [drublic]
drublic has joined #html-wg
18:55:02 [glenn]
glenn has joined #html-wg
19:20:52 [lar_zzz]
lar_zzz has joined #html-wg
19:21:44 [J_Voracek]
J_Voracek has joined #html-wg
19:30:34 [mjs]
mjs has joined #html-wg
19:35:23 [tantek]
tantek has joined #html-wg
19:47:47 [J_Voracek]
J_Voracek has joined #html-wg
19:54:46 [anne]
anne has joined #html-wg
20:05:43 [J_Voracek]
J_Voracek has joined #html-wg
20:36:33 [J_Voracek]
J_Voracek has joined #html-wg
21:03:35 [JVoracek]
JVoracek has joined #html-wg
21:32:26 [tH]
tH has joined #html-wg
21:47:01 [ksweeney]
ksweeney has joined #html-wg
21:48:08 [ksweeney1]
ksweeney1 has joined #html-wg
22:14:52 [ksweeney1]
ksweeney1 has left #html-wg
22:19:13 [Jedi]
Jedi has joined #html-wg
22:58:16 [karl]
karl has joined #html-wg
23:28:47 [cjones]
cjones has joined #html-wg
23:46:37 [J_Voracek]
J_Voracek has joined #html-wg
23:57:58 [davidb]
davidb has joined #html-wg