<trackbot> Date: 27 January 2012
<scribe> scribe: Sharron
Shawn: Don't forget to update your availability for weekly meetings.
Wayne: Do we plan to meet during CSUN?
Shawn: I will be leaving CSUN
early, so it is tentative and not sure about timing for
... might just take a break.
Wayne: Mine will be updated after this meting
Shawn: Yours are in same condition Liam. Need to update status of different items.
<shawn> ACTION-33: Investigate light weight press release - drop because of other priorities - OK?
Shawn: I had investigate light weight press release on my actions. Given priorities of other items and a new marketing person, I have decided it's not worth the time and effort needed, would like to remove that one. OK with everyone?
<trackbot> ACTION-33 Investigate light weight press release notes added
Shawn: Did everyone look at topic list put in by Liam?
All: very impressive
Liam: Not to say that all will make the cut, but was a brainstorming session.
Shawn: If any are cut keep the record even if just as archive,becasue it is all useful.
Liam: Will do, hate to lose ideas in any case.
Shawn: Wiki history mechanism.
<suzette> Hi all, will be with you in a moment
Shawn: this is really good big picture look. I would encourage that next is to look at short term, what can we get done in next couple of months as well as what to scope out for long term.
Liam: It will be great if anyone has other ideas. These are topics that fall within academic field.
Wayne: What about parsing and syntax directed transactions?
Shawn: Great idea, please add to
... have you set yourself on the watch list for this page, Liam?
Liam: Not yet, will do.
Wayne: Remember we are learning this whole new culture.
Shawn: One of the things to think about is how to use existing materials in the short term.
Liam: There are materials where web science references are made with W3C team, can we get their input about topics?
Shawn: For the short term we will only be focused on web accessiiblity specifically, so maybe not.
Liam: Doesn't web accessiiblity impact all of the topics mentioned?
Shawn: We can also chack in with
Chris Mills to see if topics are roughtly the same as what they
expect it to be in April or if they anticiapte changes.
... These course are mostly Masters level?
Liam: Yes the courses are, but the topics clearly are good for all who study this.
Shawn: For now, we will not
probably be able to look at that level in the short term.
... the Web Education Community Group has their material out there and we can stay in touch with them for short term projects.
<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to say currrent material for esiting
<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to say existing material mostly focused on self lerners?
Suzette: Congratulations to Liam for constructing such a comprehensive and useful list. For short term, maybe a quick review of exisiting EO materials that might fit the short term goals.
Shawn: We spoke last week of
primary audience being teachers and trainers rather than
self-learners. I think WedEd Community Group has mostly geared
their approach toward self learners.
... Suzette your notes are helpful and I would encourage us to do more of that in terms of who these topics are geared toward and how existing materials can fit.
Wayne: Is it a liability or an asset to have self-learning materials to which to direct students?
Suzette: Students do need a lot of materials that they can access themselves.
<shawn> list of EO docs w/ status notes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/changelogs/outreach
Shawn: That work - the actual curriculum - as opposed to course materials is where the WedEd group has done most of its work. The opportunity is to develop curriculum.
develop curriculum/s/develop course materials
Suzette: I will be happy to go through some of the existing materials and determine what is most relelvant. I would recommend also updating some of the older stuff that is helpful but outdated, needing references to WCAG2
Shawn: How to capture that
investigation? Add column to that table or ...how?
... in the documents, the Notes sections largely have comments about status.
<scribe> ACTION: Suzette to review the Outreach Planning Document for relevant and recent status related to the curricula. http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/changelogs/outreach [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/01/27-eo-minutes.html#action01]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-84 - Review the Outreach Planning Document for relevant and recent status related to the curricula. http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/changelogs/outreach [on Suzette Keith - due 2012-02-03].
Suzette: Is there any agreement about what student group we are targeting?
Shawn: We have not yet defined it. I will connect you to Chris Mills and Doug S, a W3C team member are working on this.
Suzette: One of the books on the list, the one by Anderson has Chris Mills as co-author. From that it looks like they are targeting second or third year undergrads.
Shawn: Who wrote accessiiblity chapter in that book?
Suzette: Derek Featherstone from Canada
Wayne: Who read Jeff Almond's book?
Liam: I did, quite good.
<shawn> Quine, W. V. O., Ullian J. S. 1970 (2nd ed., 1978). The Web of Belief. Random House.
Wayne: Quine is one of greatest logitioans ever.
Shawn: Additional comments or questions?
Shawn: Made changes, posted
Monday, can call that done unless we hear objections.
... two remaining things. Andrew to look at More Information section. And Shadi is making refinements to expand-collapse function. Translators can begin since content is stable.
... the document is fina as is, but pointer may change.
... Will confirm with Emmaluelle, Sylvie and decide whether to send to translators list. If you know translators who might help.
Sylvie: Shall I send the request in French to the list?
<scribe> ACTION: Sylvie to send request to translators list for translators for "Making Presentations..." [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/01/27-eo-minutes.html#action02]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-85 - Send request to translators list for translators for "Making Presentations..." [on Sylvie Duchateau - due 2012-02-03].
Shawn: Reminder that we have a page for how to promote that document. Many suggestions for whare to send it and we'll focus on BAD for now.
Sylvie: Question for promotion,
is it possible to make a list of QickTips to desimenate?
... how long is it on paper. A shoter version of tips maybe?
Shawn: Yes it is pretty long, but we had not thought of a tips sheet.
Sylvie: Maybe to have a version for presnetaitons themselves witha pointr to the long version.
Shawn: The section about "During
your Presentation"... that might be easily fit on one
... I am imagining a laminated copy sitting on the podium for speakers.
... remember that this is slightly tangential to our work. So I am hesitant to spend a great deal more time on this.
Wayne: what is the idea?
<dboudreau> morning folks, sorry to be late, was caught up at home with the kids… jumping on the call in a moment
Sylvie: To have a print section of the most relevant tips for speakers with a link to the blurb and a reference to the full doucument for more information.
Wayne: Could just write a print style sheet.
Shawn: Weren't you going to do that a while ago?
Wayne: OK will do after CSUN.
<scribe> ACTION: Wayne to write print style sheet for WAI web site, due April 1, 2012 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/01/27-eo-minutes.html#action03]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-86 - Write print style sheet for WAI web site, due April 1, 2012 [on Wayne Dick - due 2012-02-03].
<shawn> ACTION: Shawn - add to print materials "During the Presentations" section of http://www.w3.org/WAI/training/accessible.php [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/01/27-eo-minutes.html#action04]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-87 - - add to print materials "During the Presentations" section of http://www.w3.org/WAI/training/accessible.php [on Shawn Henry - due 2012-02-03].
Shawn: Thoughts about Sylvie's idea?
Sharron: Great idea, is it managable within time and promotion constraints?
<shawn> who is muted?
Shawn: I'll add to list and Sylvie you can add to French version if you ahve the time to work on it.
Shawn: will put in queue but not prioritize it before this planned promotion.
<Zakim> shadi, you wanted to suggest flip cards instead of business cards format
Shadi: When raising idea of Quick Tips are flip cards not a better option?
Shawn: Thanks Sharron and Wayne for work on blurbs.
<dboudreau> I said I would work on BAD too, but couldn't yet. Still on my list of todo things.
Sharron: Most important request to group is where to send these blurbs.
<shawn> contacts for promotion http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Contacts_for_promotion
Sharron: How to decide which
blurbs to send where?
... Are we still not sending yet? Is it ready for promotion?
Shawn: Anticipating early next
week. Welcome comments on WAI-IG email message.
... one of the questions is to look at this email
<shawn> draft WAI IG e-mail http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Promoting_BAD#WAI_IG_e-mail
Shawn: What are pros and cons of pointing people on WAI-IG list to the wiki page?
Wayne: I accidently did this and
found that it confused them, but when I sent the right blurb to
the right audience they were happy and used the
... it was not recevied well.
Sharron: On the other hand, if we give the options to this many people, it could be very useful.
<Wayne> Not Minute: Shadi, look at my email, the 200% font only is very good on the most important factors.
Shawn: If a change in spacing or
a background paragraph to give context. Giving people something
to understand context.
... any other input?
... I thought they looked good, my changes were minor. Added some notes but overall think they are OK.
... Sharron asked about how to/who to send out to?
... Shall we take the time and assign to individuals certain audiences? or should we do that off line and let people volunteer?
... WAI announcement will go out Monday. At that point, EO members can send to personal contacts. All of us can do that. Or we can assign now.
Wayne: I like the first idea.
Denis: can't we do both?
Shawn: List some now?
Sharron: I will email Derek
Denis: I will send to Laura Carlson, Russ Wheatly
Sharron: I'll send to all AccessU presenters
Denis: Outreach through Twitter will be effective.
Shawn: All will start after the WAI announcement on Monday.
Wayne: List of teachers at CalState
Jason: Lists of web managers, web developers. People on Twitter, as Denis said.
Shawn: and you can customize depending on audience based on various blurbs.
<Zakim> shadi, you wanted to suggest a brilliant promotion idea from liam
Shawn: List your contacts in that section on the page so that we don't annoy people with too many messages. Check before you send.
Shadi: Liam had brilliant idea for promotion. (plays music)
Shawn: Podcast with those songs to open and close (Michael Jackson's Bad and Bad to the Bone)
Denis: Maybe Denis Lembree would interview someone.
<Sylvie> me every time I read the word BAD on this document, I have to think about Michael Jacksons' song, so I recognized Shadi's joke at once.
Shawn: Is he doing transcripts?
Denis: Yes when he can find a volunteer.
Shawn: Shadi can be interviewed, it is his baby.
Shadi: We can talk about who to have.
Shawn: Anything else about BAD promotion?
Shawn: Acronym brainstorming.
Task Force is focused on conatent. EO feel like title and
acronym are important to get people to pay attention, read and
apply the content.
... we have talked in the past about how useful it is to have a catchy, clever, and engaging acronym. Have shared a few ideas but as they get closer to publication, need to think aobut this.
Liam: Main issue was when I was
reviewing it, I went to find it it was hard to find.
... trying to find WCAG-EM was extremely difficult. Gave me the strong impression that WCAG-EM is the wrong one.
<dboudreau> +1 to liam - very very relevant comment
Shawn: What about the ones you suggested?
Liam: More important to have
something findable rather than catchy.
... like WCAG-Eval is findable, while perhaps not catchy, it does tell you what it is.
Shadi: I put in Google WCAG-EM and got our wiki as forth listing with no search engine tweeking.
Liam: Quite a different result. I will modify my objection.
Sharron: But still not a descriptive title.
<dboudreau> actually, i checked too and it's the same here as well… we already own wcag-em on the fist page of results so it wouldn'T be a problem to keep it as more documents are produced
Shadi: Let's play with that idea.
One of the critiques is why you need an evaluation
... one of the ideas is WCAG-Conf (for confomrance)
... there is WCAG-Check and others
Shawn: What about the ones from
... what happened to notion of web information system?
<shawn> Web Information Systems Evaluation for Accessibility - WiseA
Shadi: I hear so often that people associate "web site" with static pages, despite our best efforts to change.
<shadi> [Web Interface]
Liam: At the moment, should we jsut say web site or application. Though clumsy it is accurate.
<shadi> [Website and Application Evaluation Methodology (WAEM)]
<shadi> [Website and Web Application Accessibility Evaluation Methodology (WWAAEM)]
Sharron: WEVAL = web evaluation methodology
<Wayne> Site evaluation for accessibility methodology SEAM
<shadi> [Sampling, Inspection, and Technical Evaluation [of Websites for WCAG 2.0] (SITE)]
<Sinarmaya_> Web Accessibility Evaluation Metodology = WAEM
<shadi> [WCAG 2.0 Sampling, Inspection, and Technical Evaluation (WCAG2SITE)]
<Sinarmaya_> shadi: if you say "technical" the people think that accessibility is merely a technic question ;-)
<shawn> [ trying to get easy to pronounce & recognize ]
<Sylvie> But htere is no word methodology in it
<shawn> Sharron: this is a technical eval.
<Sinarmaya_> Shadi: but I like the "sampling, Imspection" so, maybe: Sampling, Inspection and Evaluation: SIEW
<shadi> [Conformance Evaluation]
<shawn> Shadi: right. we say important to do other, e.g., w/ users
<shawn> Sampling & Inspection for Conformance Evaluation
Sharron: Conformance Sampling, Inspection and technical Evaluation for WCAG2. C-SITE for WCAG2
<suzette> wcag SIR (sampling, inspection and reporting
<Sinarmaya_> +1 suzette :9
<shawn> shadi3 apects: Approaches Sampling, Applying WCAG 2, Reporting Conformance Evaluation
<shawn> Sampling, Applying, Reporting Conformance Evaluation to WCAG - SARCEval
<shawn> WCAG - RISE
<Sylvie> what about taking the first two letters of each word and building a word with it?
<shawn> RISE = Reporting, Inspection, Sampling, Evaluation
<shawn> WCAG Conformance Evaluation Methodology for Sampling, Inspecting, Reporting
<Sinarmaya_> SACRE = Samplying, Accessibility, Conformance, Reporting, Evaluation ;-)
<shawn> now we just need a D
<Sinarmaya_> D = for diversity :-D
<shadi> [Sampling, Inspecting, and Reporting Accessibility of Websites and Applications]
<shawn> WCAG Conformance Evaluation Methodology for Sampling, Inspecting, Reporting WCAG-CEMSIR
<shawn> WCAG Conformance Methodology for Reporting, Inspection, Sampling, Evaluation WCAG-RISE
<shadi> [WCAG Conformance Evaluation Methodology]
<Sinarmaya_> +1 for shadi: this is simple and logical
<shawn> WCAG Conformance Evaluation Methodology for Websites and Web Applications
Sharron: WCAG-Cem is pretty deadly in terms of being memorable
<shadi> [WCAG Conformance Evaluation Methodology for Websites and Web Applications]
<Sylvie> rise is nice
<shawn> WISE is nice, too!
<dboudreau> +1 to rise personally
<shadi> [Website Accessibility Evaluation Methodology for WCAG 2.0]
<Sylvie> rise or wise
<Sinarmaya_> +1 wise
+1 for wise
<suzette> Website and Information management System Evaluation WISE
Web Inspection Sampling and Evaluation for WCAG Conformance
WISE for WCAG2
<Sylvie> yes +1 to shadi's proposal
<shawn> [WCAG Conformance Evaluation Methodology for Websites and Web Applications]
<Sylvie> web inspection ...
<suzette> =1 wise
<Wayne> WAI MESA - Metholology for Evaluating Site Accessibility
<shawn> WCAG Conformance - Web Inspection, Sampling, Evaluation = WCAG-WISE
<suzette> +1 shawn
<shawn> WCAG Conformance Methodology - Web Inspection, Sampling, Evaluation = WCAG-WISE
<shawn> WCAG Conformance Methodology - Inspection, Sampling, Evaluation = WCAG-WISE
<Sylvie> +1 for WCAG-wise
Shadi: Thanks for the
... will post to the wiki, spend your entire weekend thinking aobut this please.
Shawn: Thanks all, watch for BAD announcment.
Denis; We could get a face-to-face brainstorming at CSUN.
<shawn> please update availability at CSUN https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35532/eo2012f2f/results#xCSUNdate
Shawn: Could everyone update when they are available at CSUN?
<Sinarmaya_> ciao :)
<shawn> keynote: https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35532/eo2012f2f/results#xCSUNdate
trackbot, end meeting
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136 of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43 Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/ Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00) Found Scribe: Sharron Inferring ScribeNick: Sharron Default Present: Shawn, Wayne, Jason, Sharron, Liam_McGee, Sylvie_Duchateau, Suzette, Shadi, dboudreau Present: Shawn Wayne Jason Sharron Liam_McGee Sylvie_Duchateau Suzette Shadi dboudreau WARNING: No meeting chair found! You should specify the meeting chair like this: <dbooth> Chair: dbooth Found Date: 27 Jan 2012 Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/01/27-eo-minutes.html People with action items: - add shawn suzette sylvie wayne[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]